Sign in to follow this  
chris bakewell

Norwich fans not from Norwich?

Ignore him. Poor mans Mungo.

I''m in the same boat as you. Brisbane Roar/Redlands United should be local team. But I aint travelling to watch that:-)

As the username suggests I was born and raised in Kilmarnock, and followed the mighty (ok, not so mighty really) Killie throughout my childhood. I then moved to Norwich for work after Uni and started watching Norwich back in the late 90s. Now my kids are 7 and 9 and we go as a family every home game. Both NCFC daft - with a third little un only a few years away from needing his season ticket (that might be tricky!)

I assume, Mungo Bumpkin, that you are simply on the wind-up (surely no human being in the 21st century could actually hold such a ''bumpkinish'' opinion) But playing along with the idea that you are actually serious, how would you suggest that I enjoy going with my children to watch our local team? Am i supposed to take them on a 19 hour round trip every weekend? Or are they not allowed to follow NCFC because their Dad isn''t from ''round ''ere''

So I will continue to support 2 teams (as in fact we all now do as the kids and I try to get to four or five Kilmarnock games each season too) i think we should ok until both Norwich and Kilmarnock get into the Champions League!

Funny thing killie canary im from Norwich and obviously support Norwich when I can but I have lived in East Kilbride for 19 years and am a ST holder in the East Stand at Killie. Often have a Norwich top on. Went down to Carrow Road last season there and back in a day, cost a bomb and had to leave 5 mins early to catch last train back to Glasgow day started at 5 am and finished at 2 am . Unfortunately due to other commitments only made preseason game at Parkhead. Good to see two wins at the tattiedome though this season, Norwich and Killie

Mungo''s obviously just having fun and winding you all up.

He''s clearly doing a good job which is why he keeps doing it, it entertains him ;)

Incidentally - i live about, ooooooh....... 10 seconds away. It''s actually nearer than that but i have to go down a lift and out through a gate, which takes time.

I hope you approve Mungo ;-)

Sorry to bump this tread up again, but I''ve an update for you all.As some of you know, one of my past times is to trace my family history, I''ve just found I have a relative that was born in Norwich ! 

Dinah Fitt, "England,

Births and Christenings, 1538-1975"

Name:

Dinah

Fitt

Female

Christening

Date:

05 Jul

Christening

Place:

St.

Stephen, Norwich, Norfolk, England

Born in Norwich, spent a while in Peterborough, now living in rural Yorkshire because that''s where my farm is...

Always a Canary, though.

Born in Norwich, still have family in Norwich and all my ancestors dating back to 1600 are from Norfolk.......no surprise that they were nearly all agricultural labourers.Earliest memory of supporting our great team was the FA Cup semi-final defeat against Luton, thanks to a schoolmaster who set up a radio commentary while we all pretended to be studying our lesson.Even used to watch the reserves while the first team were playing away before moving from the area as a teenager.Get back to Norwich whenever I can, but not as often as I would like and would happily move back  tomorrow if the wife would let me! Have several times wondered if I could get away with murder!  [:D]

Like you Orford I too am Norwich born and bred and also attended the reserve games where the score from the away game for the first team was announced about every 15 minutes. Moved away from Norfolk in 1990 so gave up my season ticket and now mainly see the boys when we play away.

Living in Warrington I''m surrounded by the Merseyside and Manc clubs'' fans and often have friendly banter with them about supporting a real football club.

I''m from near Fakenham originally, I used to go watch some games, but glory hunted my way to the then 1st Division team of Norwich.

In fact most of the people I know from Norfolk in general are Norwich supporters. Maybe they don''t consider themselves as being not from Norwich as they consider the cCity synonymous with the county. Would explain the lack of non Norwich but Norfolk based supporters on this thread.

I know Wikipedia is not to be trusted but apparently Norfolk is the 7th highest populated county. As we only have (No disrespect to Kings Lynn) one major football club, and considering other areas of the country have a far greater selection of big clubs easily available, I''m surprised people think the total number of Norwich supporters or potential Norwich supporters is so low.

From London (south east), originally a stones throw from Millwall (but never had any intention of supporting them), now live 10mins from Shitehurst Park. Have supported Norwich since watching them in the 80''s (yellow and green always looked good to me in a kit!)Have followed them since and to get to as many home/away games as I can but work dictates most weekends for me at the moment.Next game for me is (hopefully) Villa if I can get a ticket next week. Guessing that some on this forum will be asking ''Why don''t you just support one of the London teams''...simple fact is @ 15 I like the look of City and it''s stuck ever since!

Just thought I''d point out that I do in fact have Norwich blood ! Maybe that''s why I''m drawn towards the fine City every other weekend !

Born and brought up in Norwich, but left after uni. I now live in Shropshire. First game I saw was in late 1940s, as a nipper. We played Swansea at CR, but can''t remember the score. in recent years have been to more away games, because of the distance to Norwich.

[quote user="drurys testamonials V 15"][quote user="Grant Holts Cod piece"]

I would encourage all fans to support their local team. Think of the enviromental impact on all those unnecessary miles. Think of your local team closer to you who dont have the premier league money like Norwich and are struggling financially . Think of the local fans of Norfolk on the waiting list for a tickets who cant get a seat because the plastic seat has a plastic on it.

[/quote]

Only recently has that been a problem since the stewards have got people to sit. A few weeks ago and  hardly anyone was sitting on the plastic seats in The Barclay

[/quote]

Forgive me for getting wrong, but I thought a plastic fan was that who wore a shirt of a team but never sets foot inside that ground, such as my Son-in-law, born bred gt Yarmouth wears Liverpool shirt never even been to Carrow road to see the pool, Can''t see how calling someone like myself born not far from Bromsgrove supporting Norwich since 1964 season ticket holder for the past 15 years and have lived in the county for 33years, And might add never miss an home match unless ill. I think I''m more of a local fan than the Mungo being on this earth longer and lived here longer

[quote user="Salopian"]Born and brought up in Norwich, but left after uni. I now live in Shropshire. First game I saw was in late 1940s, as a nipper. We played Swansea at CR, but can''t remember the score. in recent years have been to more away games, because of the distance to Norwich.[/quote]

October/1948. The Canaries beat Swansea 1-0 at Carrow Road. Let''s hope for a similar outcome on Saturday.

I''m from Gorleston, so it''s the Norwich catchment area really.

From Norwich originally, one of my first games my Dad took me to was Norwich 6 Birmingham 0 in 1970.  Not a bad introduction.  Dad was from Reading and a Reading supporter, but took me to Norwich and never tried to force his allegiance on to me.  I moved away since 74,  NCFC being one of life''s constants.  I think that''s part of being a football supporter.  Once you''re hooked, your hooked for life.  Its a bit like a marriage, except you can never have a divorce!     Lived many places since, lived near Plymouth, Oxford, Brentford, Northampton, Carlisle, all with clubs with a proud history  but have fallen on harder times.  Makes you appreciate our club all the more, when you see the problems some other big clubs have had over the years. 

You can take the supporter out of Norwich, but you can''t take Norwich out of the supporter.    [:)]

My parents were exiles from Nofolk who made me grow up an obsessed fan. Lived in many places but now residing in Leicester. Season ticket holder who makes trips at least once a month to Carrow Road. My little treat to myself after spending my youth travelling with my Dad to away games. Enjoy the banter with locals where a Norwich fan is quite a unique selling point.

Also ensuring that my lads  grow up as obsessed fans as well.

This thread seems to have moved on from the original theme of supporters having no real connection to Norwich. So I have not replied before.

I am from East London originally. Should be a West Ham supporter, all my family are. But started supporting Norwich in the 70/71 season when I was living in Norwich, although I only lived inside the ring road for about 2 months so I probably would not pass the Mungo test.

Only lived in Norwich for 3 years or so but it is where my heart lies. Despite the intervening decades trips to Norwich still have a feeling of returning home.

It''s now around a 320 mile round trip to home games and I get to just over half.

Looking forward to visiting the fine city tomorrow and hopefully celebrating a win.

OTBC

[quote user="Sussexyellow"]This thread seems to have moved on from the original theme of supporters having no real connection to Norwich. So I have not replied before.

I am from East London originally. Should be a West Ham supporter, all my family are. But started supporting Norwich in the 70/71 season when I was living in Norwich, although I only lived inside the ring road for about 2 months so I probably would not pass the Mungo test.

Only lived in Norwich for 3 years or so but it is where my heart lies. Despite the intervening decades trips to Norwich still have a feeling of returning home.

It''s now around a 320 mile round trip to home games and I get to just over half.

Looking forward to visiting the fine city tomorrow and hopefully celebrating a win.

OTBC[/quote]

I wouldn''t concern yourself about the Mungo test He''s probably never been inside Carrow road in all his life, I have never lived in Norwich but never miss a home match, and travel from Beccles all of 25 minute drive as long as I don''t get caught up behind A Mungo tractor, Like many others on here "Sussexyellow" I take my hat off to you