Sign in to follow this  
chris bakewell

Norwich fans not from Norwich?

Good for you! But why not support Stoke or Port Vale? Supporting a random team hundreds of miles from where you are from seems to me like a kid from Norwich supporting Chelsea or Man Utd. A bit wannabe and needy?

Serious answer Mungo. I could have supported Spurs,Arsenal,Luton,Watford and many others that are nearer but I chose Norwich as a kid,for tenuous reasons as mentioned,and have stuck with them through thick and lots of thin.

Three very tenuous reasons.

Ancient ancestry,the colours and seeing the City Liverpool game,the Fashanu one. Also I''m an awkward bugger that didn''t want to support the same team as my brothers.

Id call a kid from Norwich supporting Chelsea or Man utd aglory hunter Being a Norwich fan from Stoke is also a bit of a glory hunter but having supported Norwich for just 40yrs im still waiting for the glory OTBC

I think it''s great that all these fans on this link support NCFC. Yes, some of them could have supported the closest team to them, but when your young,you have other ideas, and I think those who have stuck to them, are brilliant.Only a muppet (mungo) would class them as glory hunters,because we have had little glory over the years they have supported us for. I''m born in Norwich,live close to the ground, but I believe we are all equal in our love for the team!!

[quote user="djdalej"]I think it''s great that all these fans on this link support NCFC. Yes, some of them could have supported the closest team to them, but when your young,you have other ideas, and I think those who have stuck to them, are brilliant.Only a muppet (mungo) would class them as glory hunters,because we have had little glory over the years they have supported us for. I''m born in Norwich,live close to the ground, but I believe we are all equal in our love for the team!![/quote]

Well said It seems like some people forget that Heart shaped hands for NCFC.

Bumpkin, you are an embarrassment with your puerile comments. Leave the messageboard to enable sensible comment.

Another question as I know of at least one long time Canary season ticket holder born in Norwich who supported Liverpool in the 70''s but turned to City and never looked back.

So come on who will own up, who was born in Norfolk and starting up supporting another team only to turn to Norwich City later?

I used to go to watch Oxford play until I left school and started work, I had two teams I used to go and watch as a youngster.

I''m a Liverpudlian but don''t live there anymore.   I am a football fan and wherever I live I always latch onto a local team whilst retaining my first loyalty to LFC, I never feel qualified to call myself a proper supporter of my "2nd Team" considering that an insult to the indigenious supporters but class myself as a follower or a fan.  

I lived in Scotland and followed Stenhousemuir, my then local team.   There were two of us, me and a bloke from Leeds - the locals looked upon us as quite a novelty!   But we were there, home and away, mutton pies and bovril on the freezing open terraces of the Scottish 2nd division.   Two glory seekers to a man!!!   Mind you the Evertonians in the Anglers Retreat the other weekend looked upon me as something as a novelty too - a Norwich City jacket with a Liverpool accent had them a bit confused!!!

I don''t understand why the original recording of OTBC isn''t played over the tannoy at Carrow Road before each game?   And was puzzled by the goal music - in that it has absoluitely no connection at all with Norwich City

So I may be an unwelcome visitor as far as Mumbo is concerned but at least I don''t bunk in - well, not often!!!

Talking of glory hunting city fans.

Back in the days of europe and being at the right end of the prem, I actually stopped wearing my city shirts in the pubs around Rotherham for fear of being accused of such things.

Wouldnt do that these days, chance would be a fine thing!

I would encourage all fans to support their local team. Think of the enviromental impact on all those unnecessary miles. Think of your local team closer to you who dont have the premier league money like Norwich and are struggling financially . Think of the local fans of Norfolk on the waiting list for a tickets who cant get a seat because the plastic seat has a plastic on it.

Sounds worryingly like some sort of racial crusade (the post above)

" The plastic will take your homes, he will take your businesses, and he will take your children! Your very lives!"

Sigh

The link below is a moderated forum if anyone is interested.

was born in Windsor during the war as Dad was in France fighting. Grandfather from Garboldishan and Uncle lived in Diss. moved back to Norfolk at the age of 7, and there has only ever been one team despite hardly living in Norfolk since i joined the RAF at age 16.

Born in Japan and lived there for most of my formative years - Dad from Aylsham and he passed on the Norwich love. Have never lived in Norwich for more than 9 months though, but would visit the city and county pretty much yearly.

First game was Norwich vs Southampton in 1995 - they had Grobbelaar in goal at the time, not long after the match fixing news came out so he got a lot of abuse all game. Ashley Ward scored a last minute equaliser to make it 2-2 and Le Tissier was subbed off after being useless all game. After that game I returned back to Japan and watch Arsene Wenger''s Grampus Eight - can''t remember much about that game though.

[quote user="BW''s Cat "]Sounds worryingly like some sort of racial crusade (the post above)

" The plastic will take your homes, he will take your businesses, and he will take your children! Your very lives!"

Sigh

The link below is a moderated forum if anyone is interested.[/quote

The point I am making is locality and has nothing to do with racial origin but you know that and are just stirring it. Somewhere the village is missing its idiot

I am from Norfolk, but ended up here in High Wycombe due to female magnetism - anyway, now my wife, daughter and son are all NCFC. My son in particular took a lot of stick at school, surrounded by Arsenal, Spurs & Chelski fans, but he stuck by it and has actually been to more of his club''s games than any of his mates.

When we get the train from Wycombe into London for games v the capital clubs, there are usually 10 - 15 other Canary supporters getting on - makes me feel very smug.

As for Mr Mango Bumchin, I suspect you have never actually been outside Norwich have you - just a bit of information for you mate, the world is actuall round, so if you do venture out, you won''t end up falling off the edge..

Born, grown up and still live in Sheffield but have been a NCFC fan all my life. 4th Generation fan, my dad didn''t really give me much choice but to support NCFC when I was little in the late 80s.

Despite being up in Sheffield I get to as many matches as I can and most seasons get into the early teens of matches (mainly away) but pop to Carrow Rd when down visiting my Gramps in Hellesdon

It wasnt that long ago city needed our money never mind my local team. I had a season ticket when we averaged 13-14k each home game there was no glory in that or coming down for simod cup and zds cup games.

I go to a few rotherham games each season, my youngest son likes to go so i take him and like to put a few quid in their coffers.

"somewhere the village is missing its idiot"

Oh dear god, stop it now please! My sides are splitting!

Ignorance is not the enemy of knowledge, feigned knowledge is the bane of knowledge.

Well, I think it''s nice that we count amongst our Norfolk-born number converted ManU fans....................but whether or not they''ll ever be able to live that down is a moot point.

OTBC

[quote user="Grant Holts Cod piece"]

I would encourage all fans to support their local team. Think of the enviromental impact on all those unnecessary miles. Think of your local team closer to you who dont have the premier league money like Norwich and are struggling financially . Think of the local fans of Norfolk on the waiting list for a tickets who cant get a seat because the plastic seat has a plastic on it.

[/quote]

Only recently has that been a problem since the stewards have got people to sit. A few weeks ago and  hardly anyone was sitting on the plastic seats in The Barclay

Bit hard for me to support my local team. Nearest one nowadays would be Sydney in the A-League and even that would be a 12 hour round trip(if i didnt stop)!

My family was origanally from Norfolk but i grew up in Kent and followed Maidstone United, Norwich was the team who i used to look out for the score of in the bigger leagues, i then fell in love with the 88/89 team and Ian Crook was my hero.Then when Maidstone bankrupted i was just kind of left with Norwich and followed them home and away pretty much until my life took me to further shores.

No i have a norwich supporting aussie wife, two kids im constantly forcing to wear yellow and green, as well as numerous "soccer fans i live near that im constantly trying to convert.

I go to every game whenever im at home. 3 years ago it was Yeovil & Colchester, august this year it was the Craven Cottage debacle and QPR. I love the club as much, down here in the middle of nowhere in Australia as any of you tapping away in your norfolk bedrooms.

My dad was not really into football so couldn''t follow his team. Grew up in Cambridge and wanted to support a good club who I was likely to be able to go and see in the flesh (so no Man U or Liverpool then and I just couldn''t face supporting Cambridge Utd) first game was as an 11 year old in 74 (I think) we beat Stoke 4-0 and that was that.Still live in Cambridge and my 11 year old son is now a confirmed yellow. we bring his mates along to games to try to tempt them, but even if we don''t, I hope I have started off a long line of yellow Choppers.

I was born in Cardiff but the old man was born in Norfolk so I was a Norwich fan and that was the end of it. For that reason the play-off was an absolutely surreal experience seeing 35,000 Norwich fans descend on the city you live in 250 miles away.

This is a really interesting thread.   I am sure a large proportion of people that support Norwich had no choice in the matter, if you were born in and around Norwich there wasn''t much option, especially if your family were long term supporters.  To actually choose the club, or fall in love with it from a distance, is slightly different.    For one thing it shows what an attractive club we are (at our best) to bring in people from such a wide area.   It also shows that Norwich is not just a "club for local people" as some would have you believe.   that view is so parochial its pathetic and fails to embrace people that are just as passionate about the club as those that had no choice through an accident of birth. 

I always thought I was lucky to have been born in Norwich because it meant I had a great club to follow.   Looking at this thread shows it is not necessary to have been born here to be a passionate City fan.  It confirms NCFC is a club of worldwide interest and we have a fanbase that covers the  world.    Brilliant.