Sign in to follow this  
chris bakewell

Norwich fans not from Norwich?

Hi i''m a Norwich city fan but was born and have lived in Leicester all my Life i started supporting the mighty yellows from a young age because there the team my older brother supported he took me to my first game.

The reason he started was as a boy he went to Great Yarmouth and saw a lot of norwich tops and came home and they was on MOTD. the rest as they say is history. Most people support there local Team or one of the big glory clubs I''m glad he  picked Norwich i love the club i get to see maybe a couple of norwich shirts a year in Leicester students studying at uni. Thats why i love it when i come to Norwich and see the yellow shirts everywhere it feeels like home from home.

anymore adopted canaries?

I was at Leicester Uni in the mid nineties and wore the "bird sh*t" shirt and the "N&P" shirt (green collar w yellow pattern) when Norwich were playing.  One such game was the Ulf Ottosson masterclass, another was a beating by the scum which led to some humourless baiting from a couple of scummers in the Uni bar.  I lived off Knighton Road with a Spurs fan, Man U fan and Wolves fan.  Dreadful household!Went to Filbert Street a couple of times. Bloody hell it was rough.

Aye another outsider here. I have only a slight tenuous link to Norwich and Norfolk,some ancient ancestry,but chose to support City as a youngster,mainly because I wanted to be different to all the glory-hunters at school.

Was it a wise decision? Through all the ups and very low downs,yes. Although I could have saved myself a bit of cash if I had chosen one of the five or so teams on my doorstep:-)

I was born in Bridgnorth, Shropshire and have never lived in Norfolk. However, my dad was born and raised in Yarmouth and his side of the family are all Norfolk back to the C17th. On of my earliest memories is being taken to the City training ground one summer and meeting John Bond and Kevin Keelan (must have been one pre-season not long after John Bond arrived). We lived in Carlisle for a few years too and I carried on a correspondence with John Bond for a while. I wish I still had his letters. After that, in the late 70s and early 80s we lived near Ipswich for a few years and I got a lot of grief at school for being a Canary. We then moved the Nottingham. I went to watch Forest a few times when Clough was manager but always sat in the away stand when Norwich came to town. Same was true with Notts Co. I''ve lived in Leicester since coming to Uni here in 1986 and went to Filbert St a few times. I''ve been to the soulless Walkers Bowl (oops King Power) a few times too but despite living here for most of my life now I have absolutely no affinity with Leicester City. I''ve occasionally wondered why I support a team in a city I''ve never lived in but I guess it''s just in the blood! :) That''s why going to watch City at Carrow Road feels ultra special (even when we lose) - it''s like making a pilgrimage!

Born and raised on the Isle of Thanet (Kent) and now settled in Cambridgeshire.

Supported Norwich City from the age of ten as, for a Man of Kent, Gillingham is as alien as Sunderland or Wigan!

Whereas my peers at school supported Spurs, Arsenal and United (not many Chelsea fans in those days!) I was attracted by the team of Fox, Goss, Sutton, Bowen, Gunn, Crook etc and via Eadie, O''Neill, Roberts, Bellamy, Huckerby, Dublin, Mooney, Lee, Hoolahan, Holt and Bassong I am still hooked and always will be! 

OTBC!

By the way Chris, there are also a lot of fans from Suffolk on here, but they don''t like to admit to it.  They tend to stand out for having nothing positive to say about the club, management, ownership or other fans.  I''m sure you''ll figure them out.

Born n bred in Stoke Been supporting Norwich for 40yrs I just didny realise how far away Norwich was when i was 8 but it is easier to get to now !!!Having said that the majority of games i get to are away

I was born in Norwich. But live in sufflok beccles. It''s about 20 minute drive to norwich not so bad. When I was 10 I use to support man u but my dad made me change to norwich because he said I won''t be going to manchester anytime soon. So when I was 10 he took me to my first ever game it was norwich vs Blackburn at home in 2004 finished 1-1. Since then I been supporting norwich.

Born in Sheffield moved here in 1978. Had norfolk connections before thatso took interest in city from 1971 onwards when they got promoted to top flight for first time

Agreed chops. I do believe a fair few of them are the same people though...

Check out the link below. How lowly I have stooped...to ads!

Born in deepest darkest Cornwall, - St. Keverne (look it up) in fact my two little offspring are the first born outside of Cornwall for over 700 years !  My Dad was in the RAF so in my early years, every 2 years we would move, that was until I was 11 years old when we were in Norwich, I then stayed in the fine city throughout my ''informative years'' until I finished school and joined the Royal Navy. After leaving the Navy I found a job (and wife) in Swindon and have lived here ever since. I started watching and supporting Norwich when I first moved there at 11 years old and have done ever since, although I''ve only actually lived in Norwich for a total of 5 years

Born in Crawley. Lived on the Isle of Wight since the age of 5.

All my relatives on my fathers side come from Norwich going back many generations.

It does make my infrequent visits to Carrow Road more special.

Well i live on the border of North Wales only 20 miles from Liverpool and 40 from Manchester, add to that a father who was a season ticket holder at Anfield.

Now no-one seems to have a clue but it goes back to the age of about 4 or 5 which would have been 71/72, despite Norwich getting no coverage up here and the school riddled with fans of big north west teams i picked Norwich.

Despite baffling my poor old dad i stuck with Norwich despite relentless stick in school and growing up, going to Norwich always feels like home despite no connections at all.

I average 6 or 7 home games a season and 10-12 away, ive spent a fortune over the years but have amazing memories and love the club as much as anyone, both my boys have followed despite getting a lot of flak, makes me really proud, just wish it was closer than 272 miles, lol, OTBC

I''m from Bedfordshire, and like another poster, use to frequent Gt Yarmouth a lot as a kid and always remember the route we took which involved going past FCR.

Likewise was never going down the glory road as my brother and dad both support mediocre teams.

You and me both Cantiaci (born n bred in Kent, living in Cambs).

I''ve always had a family connection to Norwich and used to visit from an early age in the 80s. Once i spotted the shirts the seed was sown.

I think supporters from further afield deserve more credit than local supporters.More money spent in travel and if you dont have a season ticket then it costs more to go on a game by game basis.Fair play to each and every one of you [Y]

For my sins I live in kings Lynn and with all it''s eastern Europeans it feels like a foreign country .

Despite always living in this pit of a town I avoided the pull of supporting my local teams of red star Zagreb or Spartec shiny hand car wash and started following my beloved Norwich city which I''ve never regretted because I always struggled to to master the local polish language and find the the ooh argh and alright boy of Norfolk far more appealing .

Born in the West Midlands, grew up around Bromsgrove (McNally''s hometown) and Worcester. Left home at 18, and in the 7 years since flying the nest, I''ve lived in Chester, Shrewsbury for 3 years, Turkey for 6 months and then settled in Derby for uni. Graduated last year but have ended up staying in Derbyshire for work. 
My Dad moved to Norfolk aged 5 and despite a brief ill-advised spell supporting Chelsea, he ended up hooked on the City. Scouted for them for a while too, and was even offered a seat on the player''s plane, there and back on the infamous 93 Munich trip (which he turned down, to his eternal shame and remorse!). 
I''m yet another falling into the category of never having actually lived in Norwich/Norfolk. My Gran lived there (not far from Attleborough) so Id spend a week or so every summer in Norfolk but that''s the longest continuous stay I''ve ever had there..
Basically I was indoctrinated by my Dad from birth. I went to my first game aged 2 and a half and it continued from there. My Dad took me out of school for the day aged 7 for the 350 mile round trip to be there on the night we put Bayern out the Uefa cup. I was there at Forest away aged 6 watching us go top of the Premier League. Followed City all over the country growing up, mostly away games, was a mascot aged 9 against Birmingham City (Back in the days where each team had one mascot each... 3-2 win, Neil Adams penalty winner). You can see how easy it was to be hooked in.
Nowadays I try to get to 5 or 6 games a season. Finances and work commitments make any more than that pretty difficult. Only actually made it once so far this season (WBA away) but hoping to get to Stoke too. Managed 6 last season but Wolves going down meant an easy away trip for me went out the window. Try to get over to Carrow Road once a season, but not managed it in the last couple due to ticket demand and work/money. Last time I was in our fine city I was stood watching a busload of players celebrating a 2nd place finish and promotion to the promised land! Last time I was at FCR was Derby game in the Champs ("Chance.... blocked on the line, it''s gonna go in, it''s gonna go in... Jackson completes his hat-trick in stoppage time and it''s utter chaos at Carrow Road").Between Canariesworld and streaming, I have missed probably less than 5 games total in the last 12 years (I believe 2000 was the first year CanariesWorld was available), even though I can''t go week in week out. Missed a few more since November though cuz I have to work every other weekend at the moment.Hopefully will manage to move to Norwich in the next couple of years. I''m going to be studying a masters at some point in the next 3 years or so and am going to try and score a place at UEA to do it. 
Those of you who whinge about having to watch the current dross week in and week out don''t know how lucky you are. I''ve NEVER had the opportunity to have a season ticket and I cant wait until it''s practical for me to do so. I don''t care what league we''re in or how crap the football we play is. Just knowing after every game that the next time I see the yellows won''t be months away will be reward enough.

[quote user="kick it off"]Born in the West Midlands, grew up around Bromsgrove (McNally''s hometown) and Worcester. Left home at 18, and in the 7 years since flying the nest, I''ve lived in Chester, Shrewsbury for 3 years, Turkey for 6 months and then settled in Derby for uni. Graduated last year but have ended up staying in Derbyshire for work. 
My Dad moved to Norfolk aged 5 and despite a brief ill-advised spell supporting Chelsea, he ended up hooked on the City. Scouted for them for a while too, and was even offered a seat on the player''s plane, there and back on the infamous 93 Munich trip (which he turned down, to his eternal shame and remorse!). 
I''m yet another falling into the category of never having actually lived in Norwich/Norfolk. My Gran lived there (not far from Attleborough) so Id spend a week or so every summer in Norfolk but that''s the longest continuous stay I''ve ever had there..
Basically I was indoctrinated by my Dad from birth. I went to my first game aged 2 and a half and it continued from there. My Dad took me out of school for the day aged 7 for the 350 mile round trip to be there on the night we put Bayern out the Uefa cup. I was there at Forest away aged 6 watching us go top of the Premier League. Followed City all over the country growing up, mostly away games, was a mascot aged 9 against Birmingham City (Back in the days where each team had one mascot each... 3-2 win, Neil Adams penalty winner). You can see how easy it was to be hooked in.
Nowadays I try to get to 5 or 6 games a season. Finances and work commitments make any more than that pretty difficult. Only actually made it once so far this season (WBA away) but hoping to get to Stoke too. Managed 6 last season but Wolves going down meant an easy away trip for me went out the window. Try to get over to Carrow Road once a season, but not managed it in the last couple due to ticket demand and work/money. Last time I was in our fine city I was stood watching a busload of players celebrating a 2nd place finish and promotion to the promised land! Last time I was at FCR was Derby game in the Champs ("Chance.... blocked on the line, it''s gonna go in, it''s gonna go in... Jackson completes his hat-trick in stoppage time and it''s utter chaos at Carrow Road").Between Canariesworld and streaming, I have missed probably less than 5 games total in the last 12 years (I believe 2000 was the first year CanariesWorld was available), even though I can''t go week in week out. Missed a few more since November though cuz I have to work every other weekend at the moment.Hopefully will manage to move to Norwich in the next couple of years. I''m going to be studying a masters at some point in the next 3 years or so and am going to try and score a place at UEA to do it. 
Those of you who whinge about having to watch the current dross week in and week out don''t know how lucky you are. I''ve NEVER had the opportunity to have a season ticket and I cant wait until it''s practical for me to do so. I don''t care what league we''re in or how crap the football we play is. Just knowing after every game that the next time I see the yellows won''t be months away will be reward enough.
[/quote]

Im from Worcester too mate. Used to cost me 15 quid return on the train about 20 years ago when i started doing it and i used to wash a few cars/windows to pay for it, happy days! There arent too many of us in Worcester!!

This is an interesting thread for those of us born and bred a mere stones throw from CR and who have never lived beyond earshot of the crowd roar. It''s nice to hear how so many people with very tenuous connections to Norwich have become such fervent fans.

[quote user="ricardo"]This is an interesting thread for those of us born and bred a mere stones throw from CR and who have never lived beyond earshot of the crowd roar. It''s nice to hear how so many people with very tenuous connections to Norwich have become such fervent fans.
[/quote]

Born in Redditch, a stones throw from Bromsgrove, on a horse farm in Beoley, my brothers support B-ham and took me to a match at St Andrews in 1964 where they were playing Norwich city, I took to Norwich straight away, being 12 I had no chance to travel to Carrow road on my own, So I had to rely on the papers for any news, Come to the age of 15 My family sold the farm and I joined the Royal Anglian reg, Boys junior leaders at Bury-st-Edmunds prior to having a trial in goal for Walsall town, I used to travel to carrow road for every home game from B-ST-E, BY THUMB and train or bus back, I now live on the other side of the enemy line but wear the colours with pride, I have to point out that had I not been to stupid and realised that I had my trial at Walsall it was in close season, and never heared from them for a while things could have been different, As they sent an offer of apprenticeship to my home address, The army wouldn''t let me leave.     

[quote user="Bert sneakers"]For my sins I live in kings Lynn and with all it''s eastern Europeans it feels like a foreign country .

Despite always living in this pit of a town I avoided the pull of supporting my local teams of red star Zagreb or Spartec shiny hand car wash and started following my beloved Norwich city which I''ve never regretted because I always struggled to to master the local polish language and find the the ooh argh and alright boy of Norfolk far more appealing .[/quote]

well done for bringing down the thread to complain about immigration, booorrring. Change the record Bert and besides if King''s Lynn needs anything it''s an injection of fresh DNA into the low grade gene pool as your post confirms.

Born and raised in Australia. Started following Norwich City 10 years ago when I started dating a girl I met in Sydney who was from Norwich. It appeared like a decent way to get in with her dad, give us something to talk about. I''d always followed English "soccer", but never really followed anyone.Moved to Norwich 9 months ago with my now wife and 2 kids......

Hello, thought I''d join in.

I live about a twenty minute walk from Carrow Road and enjoy supporting my LOCAL team.

Norwich City - a LOCAL club for LOCAL people.

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]

I live about a twenty minute walk from Carrow Road and enjoy supporting my LOCAL team.

[/quote]Twenty minutes sheesh!!! Probably not even from the City, sounds like a Thorpe glory hunter to me.

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]

[/quote]So, I''m not allowed to support Norwich?Ahh well, I''m only a plastic anyway, seeing as though I only managed to get to 7 games so far this season....