Sign in to follow this  
Excited Canary

RVW starts for Lisbon

"On current viewing what other striker would you say he is most like? "

Michu, doesn''t run the game, but reading the game and finishing chances are his strengths

cant really think who he is most like to be honest. More of a mix of Michu/RVP/Rooney in a way, not as good of course! he seems to like to come deep but that might be because Sporting don''t seem that good. He also runs the channels now and then, not seriously quick but fast enough. But I would say his movement is one of his best qualities I would say, gets the jump on defenders it seems. Oh and also he seems to have 2 good feet! hit a screamer from 20 yards on the volley with his left foot that hit the bar.

For 8m he''s a tad too expensive for that, Kamara if he does well, has more more chance for that. I enjoy this game live in HD thanks to my comprehensive local Hungarian sports channel. I''ve been watching Sportings'' games more or less regularly lately due to RvW, and I must say, this is the first time I am reallí impressed with him. Maybe the signing released something in him. Now that he''s ours, I hope he won''t get injured. Is a pre-season firendly with Sporting a part of the deal?

What stood out for me, compared to many of our current players, is that he seemed to take the minimum necessary touches when he received the ball. A couple of times he got a shot away when I would have expected our guys to have it nicked off their toes.

[quote user="Budapest Canary"]For 8m he''s a tad too expensive for that (to be a Michu that is), Kamara if he does well, has more more chance for that. I enjoy this game live in HD thanks to my comprehensive local Hungarian sports channel. I''ve been watching Sportings'' games more or less regularly lately due to RvW, and I must say, this is the first time I am reallí impressed with him. Maybe the signing released something in him. Now that he''s ours, I hope he won''t get injured. Is a pre-season firendly with Sporting a part of the deal?[/quote]

I disagree with the Michu comparison. Michu is an attacking midfielder who happens to be trapped inside a target man''s body, RVW looks a striker through and through.Based on this game, he looks like a better version of Shane Long to me. Playing off the shoulder of the defensive line and putting a good shift in. I was most impressed with his ability to find space while staying centrally at all times, unlike our current strikers who seem to struggle with that and end up drifting wide instead.And as I write this he gets his hat trick.

Seems to me to be very much a poacher type of striker, likes to sit on the last shoulder.

His movement is very clever, always seems to find himself a yard and have the step on the defenders. Good anticipation.

Can''t wait to see him next season

I have made the comparison with Shane Long before in a previous thread. Very similar to him IMO.

For the first two goals, he was given an awful lot of space which I cant imagine he will get in the Premiership. He did however finish well.

Yes, I think he''ll find it a shade tighter in the Prem. But I feel he''s got what it takes; looks like a class act to me (unlike that bloke from ''arlow noo tahn).

Certainly looks, on tonight''s performance, he can fire the bullets......the big question, judging the season so far, would seem to be who will supply the ammunition?

Thats a very broad statement though Yellows (although I may not actually mean broad...).

Take Wigan for example, if we had actually had a striker in the box, and Snod had crossed a couple more, the space was there for some great chances. We just didn''t take advantage. Essentially without us even being good in attack it was easy to see their defence was pretty inept.

Against the big teams, even with a more dangerous striker such as RVW, if we have the right service, they probably won''t be as tight on him as they would against a striker at another top club.

In theory you are probably correct, but in practise I think its a lot more complex and too easy to just say he won''t get as much space. And to add to that, did he get the space for just those two goals, or were there other times like that? (I was watching QPR game so didn''t see.)

The burning question - Will Calderwood make him play wide?

We continually play one or two strikers up front neither playing down the middle. All really quite strange. Perhaps as service is non existent they go searching??

i have been following him for a couple of years and he is not quite top class but technically is a level above what we have and has the potential to to become a genuine hero.

fingers crossed he is the first of many of this calibre to join during 2013.

[quote user="Polen"]Here you go...http://www.tvgolo.com/jogo-showfull-1364844329---39[/quote]Very impressive! Especially his 1st, for me. He has the defender all over him, and yet when the ball gets played in, he has a good 3/4 feet between himself and the defender. Positionally he looks like he knows exactly where he needs to be with top class movement. Going to be a handfull next season!

Undeniably 3 good goals that were impressive.However, 2 came from decent crosses and the other from a good pass, all as a result of having other players in attacking positions.Not sure that he''ll get that sort of service and support here or who is going to provide it.

Maybe, just maybe we have our eyes on other players to bring in. Or do you think we are keeping the same midfield together?