Sign in to follow this  
Parma Ham's gone mouldy

Hughton here for the long term

Despite countless threads berating Hughton tactically, aesthetically and in terms of demeanor, every indication is that both he and the club view this as a long term appointment.

Norwich is a well run club, with passionate realistic owners and a shrewd and pragmatic executive team with considerable business experience, both inside and outside football.

Hughton was identified as the outstanding choice to manage the club in a year widely-accepted as difficult and transitional. Delegation this year was possible and contingencies made for this eventuality. Pre-season should 4 points clear of delegation in 14th place with 7 games to go, four of which at home, I suspect that would have been welcomed as success.

Hughton has set about reforming the Squad to be able to perform on a consistent basis, founded on repeatable coaching techniques and has created a solid platform to build on. Renovating the defense was a necessary, pragmatic and cheaper option. In coaching terms he is creating a framework from which to build, this is what you do when you are looking for long term progression. It is often considered a luxury in football, as most clubs are desperate for short term success and therefore continue to sell the story of magical managers, messianic, "over-the-top-lads" inspiration and being "up for it". This is smoke and mirrors. Players will find their level and it is far better for the long term development of a club and a team to develop a realistic approach to games, psychology and training in order to achieve sustained and continued profession. In this model you actively try to diminish performance spikes and hyperbole in favour of consistent, measured and predictable growth in terms of resources, playing style and profession over a longer time frame.

The wigan defeat was a bad one, but the day before everyone was on a high about next season following the massive investment in RVW. Again in coaching terms, the difference is a fine one, we had 55% possession against a passing side. Had we not conceded we could consider ourselves all but safe. Now it is despair with many fearing for our safety. Hughton, the players and the club cannot possibly run the business or the playing psychology of the club in such a fickle way, hence the professional balanced demeanor (at all eventualities) by manager, players and executives.

Results matter and have a overwhelming effect for a few days, but no business can be run like the vacillating feelings of forum fans.

Most othe clubs feel we are over- performing. If we stay in the Premier League this year it will equate to any of the exciting recent times we have had.

We have a club that is about to be debt free, a manager and board who are planning long term, we have just bought a world class striker for €10m and we are arguably now verging on becoming one of the top 50 clubs in football due the vast influx of money we are a few weeks away from.

This is a club to be proud of, with a long term vision, a clear direction of travel on and off the pitch and an exciting, stable new chapter being written.

Superb analysis and a sensible and positive backlash against the negativety and unreal criticism that we have all been subject to on here of late.

It will not though not appeal to the sackcloth and ashes brigade who have been flooding this Board since the Wigan loss ..... until after our defeat of Swansea that is.

This thread will not appeal to the doom merchants so may i say what a good post before it gets lost in a sea of negativity.

[quote user="Vanwink"]I think he swallowed a dictionary![/quote]

Stick to the topic and answer the OP Winky. [:D]

[quote user="Vanwink"]Forum Police yet again!![/quote]

Try looking in one of these Winky.

[IMG]http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv218/aleida1004/20113April3games/P1430315.jpg[/IMG]

Good post.

I would add what I''ve said several times that indeed Hughton is here for the long term and the whole club.

I do not criticise Lambert. He had clear priorities and limited resources. However, talk to people connected with the academy and hear what a breath of fresh air Hughton is. We now have a manager who values and supports the academy. That can only be good.

Similarly, Hughton has put effort into building the scouting system.

He is not just a first team manager but a leader across the whole piece. I think in times to come he will be valued and possibly even appreciated despite the current scorn and antipathy.

I have answered the thread topic Winky so may i suggest you do so or do you just want to pick a fight all night ?

That''s a good well measured post OP, yes this certainly is a long term project and that''s the way it must be seen by the management team and the board. The match by match fluctuations in our fortunes are oxygen for us fans, both to make us breath easily or to fuel the flames, but the bigger picture is what is really important.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]Good post. I would add what I''ve said several times that indeed Hughton is here for the long term and the whole club. I do not criticise Lambert. He had clear priorities and limited resources. However, talk to people connected with the academy and hear what a breath of fresh air Hughton is. We now have a manager who values and supports the academy. That can only be good. Similarly, Hughton has put effort into building the scouting system. He is not just a first team manager but a leader across the whole piece. I think in times to come he will be valued and possibly even appreciated despite the current scorn and antipathy.[/quote]

Indeed. There''s nothing little ol'' Norwich about Hughton. He is building a premier league club. Not going to criticise Lambert either but we were a championship set up in the premier league. And Lambert himself doubted if the club could be anything else which is maybe one of the reasons he cleared off or was ushered out.

It could also be observed that Hughton is a very good match for Norfolk and Norwich culturally. His realistic, respectful, even sometimes humble approach is rather in keeping with the naturally self-deprecating,self-contained local countenance.

It is natural human nature to yearn after the opposite of what you have, to over value alternatives, whilst under-appreciating the benefits that you already hold. In club terms, we of course yearn for flamboyant swash- buckling days of yore, despite the nagging feeling in all of us (and Lambert) that those days were passing out of necessity this time last year.

Even this is being overtly and somewhat spectacularly addressed with the signing of RVW.

Its a good post Parma, shame it got derailed with pointless bickering early on and I hope most will make it passed that to comment.

People say we''re in a period of evolution not revolution but I''m not sure that''s the case. The Academy, scout network, record signings it all points to a plan now we are in the Premiership to sort out infrastructure and the team.

Your right most clubs live off too much short term optimism and constant change. Its no coincidence that the most successful clubs are generally the most settled (Uber rich clubs not withstanding!). We get compared to Swansea a lot and why didn''t we go for the same sort of manager etc. and the reason is Swansea is a continued evolution.

Our last three years of wave of success was clearly deemed to be running out of steam and so Hughton has been chosen by the board as the man to quietly revolutionise the club. On the field he has done that from the back and I quite happily admit I''m in the "some of our football has been appalling to watch this year" camp. But there does seem a plan and RVW is signalling that continuation of the plan.

This is all well and good but it does rely on us staying up this year. I said at the start of the year I''d be happy with 17th and I still will be, personally I just want to get there safe, look forward to the continuing player revolution in the summer and right off this year ready for next. If we are still playing to the same standard by next Christmas though I will be bitterly disappointed.

The problem with all this is we have to stay up. I still think we will be fine, and I hope I''m right. I''ve a sneaky feeling that we will beat Swansea on Saturday and be pretty much home and dry and again I hope I''m right. If we don''t stay up though there is some serious questions to be answered, and people will be quite right to ask them imo, but now is not the time.

Parma Ham,

I congratulate you on your opening post, and subsequent response - well constructed and thought out posts.

It was your 4th paragraph from your original post that effectively said what so many others have tried to highlight:

"Hughton has set about reforming the Squad to be able to perform on a consistent basis, founded on repeatable coaching techniques and has created a solid platform to build on. Renovating the defense was a necessary, pragmatic and cheaper option. In coaching terms he is creating a framework from which to build, this is what you do when you are looking for long term progression. It is often considered a luxury in football, as most clubs are desperate for short term success and therefore continue to sell the story of magical managers, messianic, "over-the-top-lads" inspiration and being "up for it". This is smoke and mirrors. Players will find their level and it is far better for the long term development of a club and a team to develop a realistic approach to games, psychology and training in order to achieve sustained and continued profession. In this model you actively try to diminish performance spikes and hyperbole in favour of consistent, measured and predictable growth in terms of resources, playing style and profession over a longer time frame".

Hopefully, some of our more enthusiastically nervous posters might now understand the concept of not being able to build the roof until the foundations are established!

A most depressing thread the thought of Hughton and his culture of negative football as a long term solution to running our club is blood curdling. His defensive approach is not as some have you believe a response to our current squads Limitations but as a former defender himself what he truly believes. He played in a similar fashion at Brum and the Toon.

[quote user="The Norfolk Dumpling"]A most depressing thread the thought of Hughton and his culture of negative football as a long term solution to running our club is blood curdling. His defensive approach is not as some have you believe a response to our current squads Limitations but as a former defender himself what he truly believes. He played in a similar fashion at Brum and the Toon.[/quote]

I suppose if you were an 1p5wich supporter you would find this thought depressing!!

I would be interested in finding out where you got your information from, regarding CH tactics at Newcastle and Birmingham - unless of course you made it up??? Huh??? C''mon, let''s be honest, you did didn''t you? You must have, none of it is true, now is it?

Next time you try to spread the "porkys" try to get the fundamentals right - like the facts! CH took Newcastle to winning the Championship with a record breaking 100+ points and a positive goal difference of over 50+ goals! Whilst at Birmingham, he took an almost bankrupt club into the play offs!

Rather a pathetic try - tell your other "Hughton Outer" cronies they''ll have to find some different "porkys" to try and derail this thread!

I have to agree with Norfolk Dumpling. At my age I simply do not have time for the slow, solid build up of the Club. I need a quick fix; a bit of excitment; an escalator to the top of the Barclay. I want to wave a flag and give a cheer.

There was no need for the dross at Wigan. We could all see there was a need to bring on Grant Holt much earlier in the game when there was all the hurly burly in the Wigan goal mouth so why could CH no see it too. A quick fix sure. A goal for Norwich and we would all have gone home happy.

If we have to keep CH for the money lets find him an assistant with a bit of fire and flare that we can believe in. A guy who makes a difference.

You are completely wrong Bobert and a tad selfish. A quick fix is where teams like QPR and Pompey mess up. Chuck money at a problem and hope it goes away? No, not what I want. A long term solid foundation is what City needs and is what Hughton will hopefully bring.

Impatience is a ridiculous way to be and will just lead to us getting back into heavy debt and unhealthiness.

Great OP by the way Parma.

[quote user="Bobert"]

I have to agree with Norfolk Dumpling. At my age I simply do not have time for the slow, solid build up of the Club. I need a quick fix; a bit of excitment; an escalator to the top of the Barclay. I want to wave a flag and give a cheer.

There was no need for the dross at Wigan. We could all see there was a need to bring on Grant Holt much earlier in the game when there was all the hurly burly in the Wigan goal mouth so why could CH no see it too. A quick fix sure. A goal for Norwich and we would all have gone home happy.

If we have to keep CH for the money lets find him an assistant with a bit of fire and flare that we

can believe in. A guy who makes a difference.

[/quote]

Spot on in my opinion. Any one who can still talk positively about Hughton after the dross he has served up this year must be a plastic. Look at ABC never near the carra and as a result thinks he is doing a fantastic job and as ABC states he is playing free flowing attacking football with a massive plus goal difference. I must have been getting a pie when it happened.

There is unnecessary polemicism on here which reduces discussions to over-simplistic for or against positions.

All would prefer free-flowing, attacking football, dramatic last- minute wins, tub- thumping churchillian rhetoric to stir the soul and goals galore.

Is this what we have always had as Norwich fans over the last century? Or ever?

We did indeed come across a messiah - and we were in the

position where we desperately needed one....

The point is whether these are now reasonable ongoing expectations and the appropriate way to run a business on a daily, ongoing basis, where progression is the aim.

It can be observed that we now have a manager of a club, rather than a messiah, but isn''t this exactly what we now require? The club has (almost) consolidated it''s position remarkably quickly and the club does not require a single individual (any manager) to wield an undue influence of the fortunes of the business.

i, and various others, have, for some while, been advocating evolution rather than revolution. and at this moment in time we are in the middle of that evolutionary cycle which will bring us to the point of PL solidity. with the acquisition of RvW, and other new signings this summer, i expect next season to be the final phase of our evolution which, hopefully, will be complete by the end of that season. Lamberts season in charge of us in the PL was extrordinary, but the longer the season went on the more other clubs had worked out how to combat his tactics, and, in my opinion, was the reason he jumped ship last summer.

Broadening the issue to how a club should be run on an ongoing basis, the reference to Portsmouth or QPR is entirely valid. This is indeed "exciting"....

We however are about to debt free and staying up would put the club in arguably it''s strongest ever position.

The playing style will clearly be addressed as the signing of RVW so dramatically shows.

In counterpoint to Much of what is negative about football, let us note with pride that we have a lady club owner, a black manager and a gay director. Isn''t that that rather brilliant?