Sign in to follow this  
John

Hughton and His Questionable Choice of Words

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/article/2013-04-04/chris-hughton-confident-norwich-can-arrest-bad-run-and-retain-premier-league-status/Norwich take on League Cup winners Swansea at home on Saturday and asked

whether each remaining game would be tantamount to a cup final, Hughton

said: "I think so. It doesn''t mean a bad result in any of those games

is the end of the world.
"We have to accept where we are as a club," Hughton said."Look around us and teams that have got less points than us or

fractionally more than us are clubs which have been in this division for

more years than we have of late and have more experience and bigger

budgets. We could take strength from that."
"We are very conscious of the stats. We know we need to be creating and scoring more goals. That takes pressure off everybody. (i sincerely hope this one is just a case of misinterpreting it, or a misquote) It''s so important that you keep things in perspective. We expect to

lose games.
What is important is that you look forward to the next one.

No matter how true some, maybe even all of this is, now is not the time nor place to bring these facts to light.For example you''d be unlikely to find any Texan general or commander during the Battle of the

Alamo saying:"Well lets face it guys, there''s 100 of us, most of us are

conscripts, and we''re up against a well trained army of 1500 Mexicans, and their commander sure knows how to get a job done, just ask the Texan army he annihilated at San Anonio...

So let us be humble in their presence, because they''re bigger and

stronger than us, and an overall impressive bunch. And please, quit it with these ''expectations'' that we might actually win

guys, you shouldn''t need me to tell you how unrealistic you''re being..."

Psychologically speaking, it genuinely stinks quite fiercely of a defeatist attitude, regardless of what the probable outcome is.I''m

not an anti or pro Hughton fan as such, i just wish for once he would

start placing less emphasis on our modest heights and expectations, and

more on our stubborness, "not going down with out a fight" attitude,

and setting out his stall, declaring that failure is not in fact an option. Just a war cry, of any sort, preferably as cliche ridden as they come, please; it would invigorate such a

welcome attitude and spirit about the place that has been sorely

missing during most of Hughton''s his tenure.Sure enough, Lambert was just as

guilty of doing the former himself, but he never struck me as a man

content with anything but success. He never gave an inkling his team would lack any fight - and during the course of his 3 years in charge, i can only think of about 3 occasionsin well over 100 games where the team failed to do the job he expected of them. And during those occasions, you could tell he was far from happy, and that the players responsible were in for one hell of a bashing. Hughton is 30 something games in, and i can instantly think of 9 or 10 times where the effort on display from the players, quite generally, has been more than questionable.One doesn''t need a written manual on leadership to understand this is not how to approach adversity when in charge of a collective group. As such, i seriously hope his media persona, and quite crucially, his choice of words, doesn''t reflect how he conducts himself in the dressing room.I''d be interested to hear if this perception amounts to any sort of consensus amongst you, and if not, why? I''d prefer to better understand the method so that i can see Hughton is managing our best chances for survival competently, than admit that i''m right.

It does ruffle my feathers that he has to be that way. I hate the whole "a club like ours" phrase he uses to. As if it''s an excuse for underperforming. I do like the guy and if he keeps us up then great but it would be useful at this stage of the season if he was calming us to arms and whipping the lads up into a frenzy. I figure he''s not that sort of guy though.

Well....

The comment about scoring more goals "That takes the pressure off everybody" just means I think that if we score more goals, it will take the pressure off.

Also, you have to look at the question he was answering (about whether every game from now on is like a cup final) - and clearly the answer is no, there are 7 games to play and our performance over all 7 will determine how we do.

So I would agree 100% with every word of CH''s quote above as being a realistic assessment of our position.  Whereas your "Alamo" quote is actually quite different from what CH is saying IMO.

Each to their own.  I prefer having a manager who gives a realistic assessment and treats us like grown-ups in what he says, rather than a line of unrealistic B/S cliches.

It''s hard to compare CH''s comments with Lambert, not least because you could never understand what Lambert was saying.

Hughton is a realist.   He says things as they are.   All managers are different.   Lambert was completely the opposite, of the "lets fight and give it a go" brigade.    There as many different approaches as there are managers.

"Acceptance" is not defeatist or cowardly,  it is an acceptance of what is.    It is a  way of helping players recognise their true abilities and in theory allows them to learn from a standpoint of total understanding.  So as they develop, they are not playing "above themselves", but playing within their  capabilities as players - which with good coaching improves with time.     So the players know exactly where they are and what they have to do to improve.

Now it could mean that some of the players don''t respond to this kind of management,  but the respect Hughton has in the game with managers and players alike is second to none, which suggests that people like his realistic assessments and appraisals.   

What I don''t understand is why so many Norwich fans  don''t get this.    Hughton has massive respect from fans of other clubs he has been at, so what is it with some of our fans?     Do you want to live in a bubble of false hope and expectations, or do you want things said to you as they are? 

"Being comfortable in your own skin"  is  a phrase used for people who accept who they are and are realistic.  Hughton strikes me as one of those kind of people - and people respond to that.    I am sure most of our fans see this, but because things aren''t quite going as well as some of the glory hunters would like, then it seems to them that  everything he says and does is wrong. 

Its tough being in the premiership. Get used to it.   We are still on course to stay in the division.   Of course there is work to be done and improvements to make.   Hughton is the man to take us forward and will get us playing the kind of football we want to see.  We can''t turn in to a top ten club just like that - give it time.

I agree with what CH says...

Particularly on the scoring takes pressure off everyone and we expect to lose games.

Basically, if your not scoring then there''s a lot of pressure on every single player not to score, but also not to concede. I would imagine that goalies and defenders must feel more ''nervous'' when your struggling to score.

The expect to lose games is a given, I think what CH is trying to say is, over the course of the season we know we wont go unbeaten and we will lose games it''s expected... what''s important is moving forward and getting prepared for the next game not looking back with regret.

I would also like to remind everyone, that we have a team of fighters at this club, the vast majority (maybe not Turner/Bassong/Garrido) have kicked and screamed for their career''s, they have progressed through the footballing pyramid, and have ability but also u need to stand out and make opportunities for themselves.

I can''t imagine that everyone of them is going to roll over now, (sure it''s possible we will go down). But I can''t see it being without a fight. [N.B I still firmly believe we will stay in this league].

It bothered me at first, especially during our slow start, but it doesn''t now. He is never undignified, whether it be about our Club, his players, the opposition or dodgy decisions. Suits me. 

Relegation may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.

Actions speak louder and grabbing RVW the way we have is hardly small-time either. Small time is the TWTD forum going into meltdown over prematurely losing no less a player than  ............ David McGoldrick (a lower league journeyman striker) who was on loan at the Loo from Notts. Forest.

The irate paupers are accusing the Club, including McCarthy, of telling lies no less to the fans. Not really Chris Hughton''s style, I would venture to suggest.  

A very common Lambert-ism during his time here when looking forward to the next game, was always"it''ll be really really tough, that''s for sure" , no matter what the opposition was (whether it be Man Utd or Barnsley).

I''m not convinced that''s any more ''positive'' (if you decide to look at it that way) than what Hughton is saying.

Is there any evidence that the tub-thumping statements really get you any further than where you currently are?  What if Hughton came out and said "We''re better than Swansea", or "these are the games where anything but 3 points is acceptable", or "we should be aiming for the top 8, not the bottom 3". 

Name me one other manager who would publicly state any of the above?  I''ll tell you - no-one, not even Alex Ferguson.

What must be recognised is that what is said in public is COMPLETELY different to what is said behind closed doors.  Worthy used to come across as meek and mild, but believe me, he could let rip in the dressing room.  Lambert the same - he said little in public in all honesty (and the same drivel each week), but behind closed doors it''s a completely different matter.  There is no reason whatsover to suspect Hughton, and his managerial team, to be any different in that regard.

Maybe some people don''t like the reality, but where we are as a club compared to most in this league, mean that, even in 14th position, we are still punching above our weight.  We are building as a club and working towards that not being the case, but Rome wasn''t build in a day.  We also need it built on strong foundations, not on quicksand.  This is why we all have to be realistic, continue with the fight to stay in this ultra-competitive league, but at the same time realise where we are at as a club at the same time.  Getting ahead of ourselves won''t do us any favours, some people have to simply get real I''m afraid!!

otbc

I often feel Chris Hughton''s inexperience as a manager comes out in his media interviews. He doesn''t seem to realise that the media can be used to motivate his

players. Or that it can be used to rally supporters to his cause.  Instead Hughton states the obvious shortcomings of our side and praises the opposition in such a humble manner. We know the team''s shortcomings, the players know them, the TV coverage shows them. So why do your own side down?At times you feel Hughton would really rather be at a bigger club with better players he can leave to just get on with it. But management is about dealing with the hand you''ve been dealt, not the one you ideally want.

It''s what Hughton and co say to the players in training and in the dressing room that matters, and the rest of it is just stuff to fill newspapers and websites.

The thing is Flecky "in 14th position we are still punching above our weight'' is a similar phraseology heard all to often in the days of Doomcaster.

I for one hated beyond reason that sort of drivel and for the Lambert years it was a great relief to here measured but positive assessments.

I really do wonder if McNally appreciates this negative image. After all he''s worked damn hard to raise the image of our club.

Hoots is a very decent man and perhaps the players don''t take on board his press comments. I hope that''s the case and the Swansea game will see true positivity on the field!

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. Hate to think what he will get beaten up for if we lose Saturday; A defeatist haircut? A jacket too much on the ever-so-humble side?

I don''t think the media talks are to motivate the players. I would highly imagine the media talks are seen by managers and clubs as a contract obligation.

I would guess, the last thing that a manager would want to do publicly is to create pressure every game, by promising to win matches particularly in light, when the media and fans pay the most attention to the media talks.

Behind closed doors, maybe be a completely different side of CH that we do not have the benefit of seeing.

The way he represents the club does not help create an image of a dynamic club that''s out there trying to achieve.

What is much more important is the way he communicates with and motivates the players, judging from the way we have been playing recently I recon that must be pretty low key as well.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Hughton is a realist.   He says things as they are.   All managers are different.   Lambert was completely the opposite, of the "lets fight and give it a go" brigade.    There as many different approaches as there are managers.

"Acceptance" is not defeatist or cowardly,  it is an acceptance of what is.    It is a  way of helping players recognise their true abilities and in theory allows them to learn from a standpoint of total understanding.  So as they develop, they are not playing "above themselves", but playing within their  capabilities as players - which with good coaching improves with time.     So the players know exactly where they are and what they have to do to improve.

Now it could mean that some of the players don''t respond to this kind of management,  but the respect Hughton has in the game with managers and players alike is second to none, which suggests that people like his realistic assessments and appraisals.   

What I don''t understand is why so many Norwich fans  don''t get this.    Hughton has massive respect from fans of other clubs he has been at, so what is it with some of our fans?     Do you want to live in a bubble of false hope and expectations, or do you want things said to you as they are? 

"Being comfortable in your own skin"  is  a phrase used for people who accept who they are and are realistic.  Hughton strikes me as one of those kind of people - and people respond to that.    I am sure most of our fans see this, but because things aren''t quite going as well as some of the glory hunters would like, then it seems to them that  everything he says and does is wrong. 

Its tough being in the premiership. Get used to it.   We are still on course to stay in the division.   Of course there is work to be done and improvements to make.   Hughton is the man to take us forward and will get us playing the kind of football we want to see.  We can''t turn in to a top ten club just like that - give it time.

[/quote]

Has anyone ever seen ldc and Chris Hughton in the same place at the same? No, I didn''t think so...[;)]

Bury makes some very sensible points.

I question the efficacy of Hughton''s approach both from an external PR perspective and in terms of player motivation. Compare that with someone like Ferguson''s approach or, indeed, Lambert''s comments today about other teams like Stoke and us being drawn into the relegation scrabble. Leadership is about motivation/confidence building which seems that it might be somewhat lacking at the moment based on what we''ve seen both home and away post- Christmas.

Maybe you should sit him down and give him some lesssons in positive speaking and thinking,Highland.I always feel uplifted by your utterances.

P.s Lambert has gone.I know it''s upsetting,but you''ve got to let it go.

There is an inherent problem in all quotes made in that you have no idea what question is being answered....it often flows as one long quote yet will probably be from a range of either positive or negative questions from the interviewer(s). I have a real issue with reporting when it doesn''t let you know the context.

FAO Bury Yellow

er, remind me please when we were in 14th place in the Premier League under Doomcaster? Or have I missed something?!?!?!

Lambert has gone guys. Unless you can accept that he''s gone, i fear you''ll struggle to move on in your own little NCFC world!

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]There is an inherent problem in all quotes made in that you have no idea what question is being answered....it often flows as one long quote yet will probably be from a range of either positive or negative questions from the interviewer(s). I have a real issue with reporting when it doesn''t let you know the context.[/quote]

I think the hint here is when it says "asked whether each remaining game is tantamount to a cup final, Hughton said..."

Actually Flecky, I didn''t intend to put the emphasis on our Premier membership, rather the general perceived attitude eminating this season reminded me of the Doomcaster years.

I won''t argue with you as my memory is being destroyed by age but wasn''t Doomcaster influential under Worthy''s days? If I''m wrong then I apologise.

My excuse is 60 plus years supporting the yellas has taken it''s toll :-)

What I don''t understand about this whole repetitive debate is how come I must be the only poster who watches Sky Sports News on Saturday mornings.

Because if the Hughton knockers did then they would see every Premier League manager saying nice complimentary things about that weekend''s opponents and their manager. All filmed at their Friday press conferences.

You''d then realise that hughton does not operate in some defeatist bubble nor is he some spineless intimidated wet.

He is just doing what every ot her manager does and observing the ettiquettes of the prematch ritual.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Lambert''s comments today about other teams like Stoke and us being drawn into the relegation scrabble.[/quote]I think we''d do quite well at relegation scrabble.

H       I     G  L O O M     H     L     A                    B     N  E  G  A  T  I  V  E     D                    N                            N               H                            E               U               D                            R  E  L  E  G  A  T  I  O  N                                              H               O                                              T               M                                              O  U  T                                              N

Though I suppose we''d be told not to go for the triple word scores as it''s too risky and we might concede points, so best to stick to the singles.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Though I suppose we''d be told not to go for the triple word scores as it''s too risky and we might concede points, so best to stick to the singles.

[/quote]

You would lose points for using the letters L D C as they are deemed too positive.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Though I suppose we''d be told not to go for the triple word scores as it''s too risky and we might concede points, so best to stick to the singles.[/quote]... I have an unnaturally great love for your mind.