Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

the doc proves critics wrong

Sorry but what game were you watching. Yeah he scored and won a few headers but he miss-hit many clearances which came straight back, and looked very slow against Earnshaw and Campbell. It wasnt just Doc though. Both he and Flem had shockers yesterday but because of the goals will probably get away with it. If we are to put a run together we need to shore up the defence. It was a big mistake not to bring in a defender in the window but that is behind us now and we have to fight on with what we have. Scoring 7 goals in 2 home games is great but conceding 6. thats abysmal. Sort it out Worthy. Please.

[quote]So many people have a pop at Doc. But he has been a great buy in my books- looking solid and a goal today. He could become a real legend for this club[/quote]

I''m sorry Vicar, but I can''t agree with you on the Doc. For me he''s far too slow and cumbersome, and his passing at times look horrific, just ask Greeno!.

Like Holt and Leon, he has a great heart and loads of bottle, but so does a donkey. 

But City need quality, and I''m afraid he''s a bit short in that department, sorry.

Imo, he''s getting better every game. He''s big, strong, good going forward, and keeps a check on the likes of big, strong players. Yes, he makes a few mistakes, but I think he offers more to the club.

[quote]So many people have a pop at Doc. But he has been a great buy in my books- looking solid and a goal today. He could become a real legend for this club[/quote]

Er....What game did you watch? He was shocking.

I don''t think his goal can take away his dodgy performance today.

I always feel with him that he comes from the "Titus Bramble school of defending", in that he starts to win you over then plays a suicidal ball, or gives away a penalty, or scores an own goal....

Also, as we are so poor at defending set-pieces, why does he give away so many fouls around the box??

Having said all that, i would still say he has played better than Fleming for the majority of games

I think Doc has also been improving, and think the chances are he will prove to be a good buy. I do still wish we hadn''t got rid of Malky - having them both in the squad would have been good - but I think Doc is proving to be a pretty decent replacement.  OK his pass back helped West Brom to score their first, but Green had ample opportunity to get rid, so that has to go as a ''keeping error.

I would like to see Shackell given a chance, probably in place of Flem or maybe even at left back - this certainly seems to be the position we are having most trouble with, and we are still leaking goals badly - 23 in 10, no clean sheet for 19 games.

[quote]I''m sorry Vicar, but I can''t agree with you on the Doc. For me he''s far too slow and cumbersome, and his passing at times look horrific, just ask Greeno!. Like Holt and Leon, he has a great heart and...[/quote]

No way can you lay the blame for the first goal at Docs feet, it was a firm back pass which was poorly controlled then poorly distributed, Green is a fine keeper an England squad member and as such, should & would have 9 times out of 10 easily handed the situation, lets treat each player fairly, regardless of who they are.  

I agree with you that against mobile attackers Doc'' going to come off second best, which is why I feel that the pace of Shackell should be uitilised along side him instead of Fleming. 

Fleming has been a consistant performer for the club over the past few years but like Iwan last season, Im affraid his time is up.  He holds a line midway inside our half because he knows that if balls are played over or through our defence niether he or Doc has the pace to cope with any forward playing in this division, this along with the dreadful distribution of all our defenders & the inability of Robert Green to command his area  means we are having to spend long periods of the game chasing ball, It would give players much more confidence to see Green come for & catch some of the balls played into the box then hold the ball & allow our players the chance to regroup. 

It speaks volumes for the spirit & never say die approach of everyone connected with the club that we have been able to compete with most sides, This togetherness was evident in the celebrations after our third goal yesterday.

I''m not too confident in either of our centre-backs - they panic unnecessarily and their clearances are hair-raisingly scary - but the Doc played a wonderful pass in the first half out to wide left for the run of Huckerby. I thought Huckerby could have got to it with a bit more effort, and then he''d have been one-on-one. Doc''s getting better, but both he and Fleming need a bit more composure.

i thought Doherty had a poor game yesterday. in fact i thought he was playing so badly that when i saw brennan coming on I was half-expecting Charlton to be shifted into the middle and Doherty taken off. If he doesn''t hoof it away at the first attempt my heart sinks.

[quote]why is there so much critisism? cant we have a bit more celebration before we start moaning?[/quote]

Agreed this forum is turning into the grumpy old men forum prehaps they all sit in the main stand, i had the displeasure of sitting in there once and it was awful continues moaning for the whole 90 minutes.

[quote]why is there so much critisism? cant we have a bit more celebration before we start moaning?[/quote]

Constructive critisism is healthy as long as its directed in the correct manner and at the right time, otherwise how do things improve? Those of us fortunate enough to witness the Francis''s goal yesterday did plenty of celebrating, this dosen''t alter the fact that we were awful for much of the match. Hopefully NW & rest of coaching staff will also be critical over the next few days  

I wasn''t happy with us signing him but now I''m turned around. With every game Doherty''s getting better, there''s still big room for improvement, he hasn''t got pace but then down the years some of the best defenders haven''t.

As a player he''s been the victim of not having a settled position, if yo can keep the likes of Beatty, Campbell and Hasselbaink quiet then you must be doing something right

Sorry Barclayendboy, but the worst criticism comes from ... your lot!Just ask Holt, Svensson and Helveg which part of the ground they get most (unnecessary) stick from and I think they''ll tell you it''s the Barclay.As for the moaners, well we were SHOCKING on Saturday and three points doesn''t change that. We still have lots of teams to play and if we play like Saturday then we''re down anyway.PS - The Doc is great.

[quote]Sorry but what game were you watching. Yeah he scored and won a few headers but he miss-hit many clearances which came straight back, and looked very slow against Earnshaw and Campbell. It wasnt just ...[/quote]

Rob so apart from the mentioned quite what were you expecting?Perhaps a step by step guide to building Tracey Island at 1/2 time?

I said when we bought him that he could be the "Aldi" Chris Sutton, OK, maybe that was a bit optimistic but the guy is a good player.  If our midfield had a bit more bite then him and Flem wouldn''t have to make so many desperate clearances, it''s like the Alamo in our box sometimes.

Their first goal was Greeno''s fault, he controlled it but made a hash of the clearance.

Although I am not yet convinced by him and thought he actually had a poor game on Saturday despite his goal, there have been signs that he is getting better so we will just wait and see. I am not a fan of his but he deserves time to develop the sort of understanding that Maks had with Flem and some better distribution.

Everyone has off days, just a shame most of ours came at once. But in defence of the Doc I do think he gets precious little protection at times from the midfield and is often faced with TWO men to pick up as our own midfield seems incapable of picking up a runner from deep. Flem covers the other striker but both he and Doc are often outnumbered. Even with Hux''s pace they can''t mark two players attacking them at once.

In my defence he has made the BBC team of the week

I still think he is like the loud kid at school- his mistakes get noticed more than other peoples.

But he plays with heart and actually gets stuck in- which I think is great!

We have had plenty of worse defenders than him!

[quote]In my defence he has made the BBC team of the week I still think he is like the loud kid at school- his mistakes get noticed more than other peoples. But he plays with heart and actually gets stuck...[/quote]

You don''t need to defend yourself Vic, you say it as you see it and that''s all you can do. If others see it different then well  OK !