Sign in to follow this  
Jersey Canary

Realism

Surely people have realised that the 442 formation doesn''t work in the Premier League. Every time we play 442 we get pasted. The modern formation is 4231 which is what 90% of teams play. So our problems are many fold:

1). Our central midfielders cannot pass

2) our wingers are not quick enough

3) our wingers are not attacking enough

4) Since Ruddy got injured, our keeper distribution has been awful.

5) Hoolahan is not good enough for the off the striker role as he doesn''t score enough

6) Hoolahan does not create much of note

7) Hoolahan gives the ball away in silly places ( Wigan game a prime example)

8) the full backs have stopped getting forward especially at home

9) we don''t get enough bodies in the box

I''m not saying gung ho football but calculated attacking in numbers would be helpful and quick counter attacks.

So for Arsenal game I would give a trial to Howson playing instead of Hoolahan and Tettey in to play defensive midfield. Howson definately has ability but is not a defensive midfielder as he is too weak, so why not give him a go to see if he steps up to the plate.

Longer term I can see Snoddy playing the Hoolahan role and we get in a new winger as a replacement. Ruddy returning for the Reading game will be a big bonus.

What do you think?

[quote user="Jersey Canary"]Surely people have realised that the 442 formation doesn''t work in the Premier League. Every time we play 442 we get pasted. The modern formation is 4231 which is what 90% of teams play. So our problems are many fold: 1). Our central midfielders cannot pass 2) our wingers are not quick enough 3) our wingers are not attacking enough 4) Since Ruddy got injured, our keeper distribution has been awful. 5) Hoolahan is not good enough for the off the striker role as he doesn''t score enough 6) Hoolahan does not create much of note 7) Hoolahan gives the ball away in silly places ( Wigan game a prime example) 8) the full backs have stopped getting forward especially at home 9) we don''t get enough bodies in the box I''m not saying gung ho football but calculated attacking in numbers would be helpful and quick counter attacks. So for Arsenal game I would give a trial to Howson playing instead of Hoolahan and Tettey in to play defensive midfield. Howson definately has ability but is not a defensive midfielder as he is too weak, so why not give him a go to see if he steps up to the plate. Longer term I can see Snoddy playing the Hoolahan role and we get in a new winger as a replacement. Ruddy returning for the Reading game will be a big bonus. What do you think?[/quote]

...... Or dominate their opponents. Solve this then the other problems you note will solve themselves.