Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Messiah

Lack of effort by Holt

Holt contribution today -On the pitch 10 minutesA stamp (yellow card which should have been red)An elbow (could have been another yellow & then red)A dive (could have been another yellow & then red)End ofSorry, but he''s become a liability & in our situation, we can''t afford liabilities.That''s why he''s not starting.

Mr Brownstone wrote the following post at 2013-04-07 12:20 AM:

That is most definitely not what happened between Holt and Calderwood at Forest.

Really, Calderwood was a disaster, Forest were poor, they could not score goals, were defensively minded, and Holt, a proven striker who due to negative tactics could not score goals, was sold. Holt owes NCFC and their supporters nothing at all, and should have nothing to prove as top scorer over three seasons (and who twice destroyed our closest and bitter rivals single handed). He is not to blame for his current predicament.

[quote user="City 2nd"]Mr Brownstone wrote the following post at 2013-04-07 12:20 AM:

That is most definitely not what happened between Holt and Calderwood at Forest.

Really, Calderwood was a disaster, Forest were poor, they could not score goals, were defensively minded, and Holt, a proven striker who due to negative tactics could not score goals, was sold. Holt owes NCFC and their supporters nothing at all, and should have nothing to prove as top scorer over three seasons (and who twice destroyed our closest and bitter rivals single handed). He is not to blame for his current predicament.[/quote]Just for the record - far from being a disaster, Calderwood took Notts Forest to the League one Playoffs in 2006-7, achieved automatic promotion to the Championship in 2007-8, and was sacked after a poor start in a higher league.Holt was their leading scorer in the 2006-7 season, Calderwood''s first in charge.You''re welcome.

[quote user="City 2nd"]Mr Brownstone wrote the following post at 2013-04-07 12:20 AM: That is most definitely not what happened between Holt and Calderwood at Forest. Really, Calderwood was a disaster, Forest were poor, they could not score goals, were defensively minded, and Holt, a proven striker who due to negative tactics could not score goals, was sold. Holt owes NCFC and their supporters nothing at all, and should have nothing to prove as top scorer over three seasons (and who twice destroyed our closest and bitter rivals single handed). He is not to blame for his current predicament.[/quote]

I was sure we had 10 other players on the pitch as well. Must have seen a different game to you.

As far as I''m aware after Holt finished the promotion season as top scorer he was looking for a new contract. His request was rejected so he handed in a transfer request. It was at this point that he and Calderwood''s relationship became strained. It was nothing to do with tactics.

Another point towards the Hughton being too defensive and "ruining" Holt, at extra time Bassong went forward at a goal kick to try and go for the winner, nothing from the manager but Grant Holt actively goes over and tells him to get back instead of attacking... One moment but certainly nothing based upon the manager...

Yorkshire - whether we are in the PL or Champ I don''t expect Holt to be part of the squad. We should build a statue for him and Lambert outside the Barclay to remind us where we came from. Both him and Lambert were instrumental in saving our club.

[quote user="drurys testamonials V 15"]

Last season Steve Morison made 21 league starts and 12 subs appearances scoring 9 goals. This season he made 4 starts and 15 subs with little time on the pitch scoring 1 goal. He was berated. Made a scapegoat. Many said he wasn''t good enough. We have paid the price of that and he''s now plying his trade at Leeds.

This season Grant Holt has made 22 league starts and 6 subs appearances scoring 5 goals. When people have said he''s not good enough others have retaliated arguing about the other things Holt brings to the game. The stats give a stark picture but show that Holt has had almost as much time on the pitch this season as Morison did last season. Will he be berated? Will he be made a scapegoat? Will he be hounded out? No. Is it time for him to go? Maybe. In fact quite probably.

He knows he will be second fiddle to RVW and he does not appear to make a good squad player with his attitude now if he is not getting game time unlike say Dion, Iwan or Malky who would bouy up the dressing room.

Holt is not and never will be Mr Norwich City and I think that''s something he doesn''t get.

[/quote]

Is it only scapegoating if it''s another poster about another player?

Whilst I appreciate all he has done for us, he has become an embarrassment I''m afraid.

Holt has been dismantled, doubted, ridiculed, abused and written off by so many posters on here, not just this season, but last season he wasn''t going to be good enough, he wasn''t going to be good enough in the championship - and I wonder how he has wanted to stay this long.    A standing joke amongst are supposedly cosmopolitan and modern thinking  fans with the "overweight ex-tyre fitter from oop north" tags, which he will never lose.     Never good enough for some of our fans, he has struggled for service this season, difficult for any striker to maintain striking form under those circumstances, even so has put in some terrific team performances.

And to call him an embarrassment, is quite frankly, an embarrassment.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Holt has been dismantled, doubted, ridiculed, abused and written off by so many posters on here, not just this season, but last season he wasn''t going to be good enough, he wasn''t going to be good enough in the championship - and I wonder how he has wanted to stay this long.    A standing joke amongst are supposedly cosmopolitan and modern thinking  fans with the "overweight ex-tyre fitter from oop north" tags, which he will never lose.     Never good enough for some of our fans, he has struggled for service this season, difficult for any striker to maintain striking form under those circumstances, even so has put in some terrific team performances.

[/quote]Did you go to the game today?What did you think of the shift Holt put in?

I still want to believe in Holt; he would have been in my starting line up today; he would be in my starting line up against Reading; perm any 11 from the squad vs Arsenal.

[quote user="Ches right hand man "]What do you expect when your gaffa brings you on too late to make a difference.[/quote]How much, in your opinion, did Holt change the game when he came on today?

He frankly looked like he couldn''t be arsed.

I expect my club captain to keep his head. He can consider himself a very lucky boy, once again, to not get a red card within minutes of being on the pitch.

As I said, I don''t know what his deal is, but whatever it is he and Hughton need to sort it, because we''re in trouble and we damn well need him.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Ches right hand man "]What do you expect when your gaffa brings you on too late to make a difference.[/quote]How much, in your opinion, did Holt change the game when he came on today?

He frankly looked like he couldn''t be arsed. [/quote]As much as he did against Wigan argued with the officials and got booked

[quote user="lake district canary"]Holt has been dismantled, doubted, ridiculed, abused and written off by so many posters on here, not just this season, but last season he wasn''t going to be good enough, he wasn''t going to be good enough in the championship - and I wonder how he has wanted to stay this long.    A standing joke amongst are supposedly cosmopolitan and modern thinking  fans with the "overweight ex-tyre fitter from oop north" tags, which he will never lose.     Never good enough for some of our fans, he has struggled for service this season, difficult for any striker to maintain striking form under those circumstances, even so has put in some terrific team performances.

[/quote]

He certainly didn''t give one of those "terrific team performances" today. He was good enough for us but now we must face up to the reality but he is not motivated or good enough anymore.

Really worried about Grant. He hardly looked like a footballer when he came on.

I''m almost getting the feeling he''s had enough & wants to retire to Carlisle, play for them for a bit then open a pie shop (only joking (I think)).

Just 2 questions -

1 - Who is our leading goal scorer this season?

2 - How many points have we gained this season with Holt and how many have we gained without Holt?

[:)]

The trouble is we arguably mishandled the transfer window such that our attacking options are limited. I am of the belief - not widely held I accept - that we need to win the odd home match this season to stay up. In my opinion, and writing as a fan and not a professional football manager, this might be best facilitated by having two strikers on the pitch. I''m not of the view that Jackson should be one of them. So that leaves two out of Holt, Becchio and Kamara. I would still go for Holt plus one other but, failing that, I would still wish for two strikers to be on the pitch vs Reading.

Wouldn''t of this worked better                               Holt                                                          Snodgrass Kamara Bennett

[quote user="Making Plans"]Holt contribution today -On the pitch 10 minutesA stamp (yellow card which should have been red)An elbow (could have been another yellow & then red)A dive (could have been another yellow & then red)End ofSorry, but he''s become a liability & in our situation, we can''t afford liabilities.That''s why he''s not starting.[/quote]

I can''t argue with the first but please!! An elbow??? Are you serious ??? Worst piece if theatrical crap from that pathetic defender I''ve ever seen. And I can''t wait to see your so called dive on a replay. Looked like a stone wall penalty.

Of course it''s obvious why Holt is getting all the bashing as all of our other strikers have done so well -

Morison - sold, no confidence, no interest, no goal threat

Vaughan - loaned out to The Championship and not pulling up any trees either

Martin - loaned out to whoever will have, shocking attitude, nowhere near a Premier League player

Jackson - who?  Simeon Jackson remember him, Canadian International?  Nah?  Thought not

Becchio - Bought for circa £3m in Jan.  Played a couple of games, didn''t score, imho looked off the pace and nothing spectacular in the short time he played

Kamara - A couple of sub appearances and a great impact against Everton.  Starting games, he works hard, but to me does not look like an out and out striker and not a Premier League one and not a lone striker.  Has made mistakes and looks lost at times, although I am not saying that isn''t to be expected coming to a new league.  He hasn''t scored in any game he''s started.

Are all of our strikers now WELL below par and the standard required for the Premiership or has something else happened since last season?[:^)]

I have no idea why we aren''t giving Becchio a run - he''s a goalscorer. Stays central, puts his head in where it hurts and wins headers in the air. Why not shove him on for the last quarter, get the ball in the box. I bet he''ll score before Holt does given the chance

[quote user="Highland Canary"]The trouble is we arguably mishandled the transfer window such that our attacking options are limited. I am of the belief - not widely held I accept - that we need to win the odd home match this season to stay up. In my opinion, and writing as a fan and not a professional football manager, this might be best facilitated by having two strikers on the pitch. I''m not of the view that Jackson should be one of them. So that leaves two out of Holt, Becchio and Kamara. I would still go for Holt plus one other but, failing that, I would still wish for two strikers to be on the pitch vs Reading.[/quote]I''ll ask you again, maybe you missed my post.Did you go to the game today, and what do you think of the shift Holt put in today?And I shall add, based on what he contributed today, did he do enough to make the manager pick him to start in the next game?