Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Messiah

Lack of effort by Holt

[quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="morty"]

My opinion is that he looks very one dimensional, and very out of his depth.

[/quote]

What makes him one dimensional?

[/quote]

He clearly has his mind on his preferred position of an attacking midfielder playing off a lone striker, and not on the role he was being asked to play, he gave the ball away cheaply, often when trying to push forward. He doesn''t have the positional awareness required, look at Bradley if you want to see how he should have been playing.

[/quote]

Not convinced that really explains what makes him "one dimensional" but I shan''t press you on it further.

Out of interest, did Chris Hughton explain to you what role he wanted Howson to play and what was expected of him?

I somehow doubt Hughton run that one by you so I suspect you''re probably making quite a big assumption.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]

I like Howson and normally defend him, to say he had his best game today is laughable,
[/quote]

Yeah. I never said he had his best game today.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="morty"]My opinion is that he looks very one dimensional, and very out of his depth.

[/quote]

[/quote]He clearly has his mind on his preferred position of an attacking midfielder playing off a lone striker, and not on the role he was being asked to play, he gave the ball away cheaply, often when trying to push forward. He doesn''t have the positional awareness required, look at Bradley if you want to see how he should have been playing.

[/quote]

Not convinced that really explains what makes him "one dimensional" but I shan''t press you on it further.

Out of interest, did Chris Hughton explain to you what role he wanted Howson to play and what was expected of him?

I somehow doubt Hughton run that one by you so I suspect you''re probably making quite a big assumption.

[/quote]You''re right, I have no idea the brief Howson was given.But I know what I saw, and I saw a man not comfortable in his position, fluffing simple passes.And I know enough about football to know when a player is playing badly for this reason, as opposed to the whole team playing badly.Would you pick Howson over a fully fit Tettey?

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="morty"]My opinion is that he looks very one dimensional, and very out of his depth.[/quote]

[/quote]He clearly has his mind on his preferred position of an attacking midfielder playing off a lone striker, and not on the role he was being asked to play, he gave the ball away cheaply, often when trying to push forward. He doesn''t have the positional awareness required, look at Bradley if you want to see how he should have been playing.[/quote]

I somehow doubt Hughton run that one by you so I suspect you''re probably making quite a big assumption.[/quote]

Morty makes the assumption that everyone that doesn''t agree with him is an idiot, knob, pantwetter and numerous other put downs. 

One of our more intelligent posters................

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="QHcanary"]

If Steve Morison had done what Holt did today you wouldn''t have shut up about it for a week. He more often than not only played 10 minutes or so this season. Holt normally giving "110%" is not an excuse for his attitude on the pitch today. He spent most of his time standing in the middle of the pitch watching, when he wasn''t trying to get sent off or arguing with an official.

Hoolahan was diabolical today. Consistently caught in possession with no idea where the challenge was coming from, and his passing was bad.

Howson played his best game so far this season IMO. Drove well from midfield, and when his passes went astray it was more often than not because he was trying to create with a more difficult pass. I''d be interested to see the passing stats for today.[/quote]Old Holty put in more effort when he was sat on the bench than Morro did this entire season ;)Mail me some of whatever your smoking please or your dealer. That must be some serious shiznit !!!!

[/quote]

Has howson played better than that this season? I don''t think so. Fairly anonymous along with the rest of the team for the first 30 minutes, but improved later on. I know he gave the ball away a few times but no more than some others, and certainly less than Hoolahan.

Has anybody got a link to a website that gives match stats?

Holt...do you find it acceptable that he spent a large proportion of his time on the pitch standing still and watching the game?

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="morty"]My opinion is that he looks very one dimensional, and very out of his depth.[/quote]

[/quote]He clearly has his mind on his preferred position of an attacking midfielder playing off a lone striker, and not on the role he was being asked to play, he gave the ball away cheaply, often when trying to push forward. He doesn''t have the positional awareness required, look at Bradley if you want to see how he should have been playing.[/quote]

I somehow doubt Hughton run that one by you so I suspect you''re probably making quite a big assumption.[/quote]

Morty makes the assumption that everyone that doesn''t agree with him is an idiot, knob, pantwetter and numerous other put downs. 

One of our more intelligent posters................

[/quote]Take your whiney personal vendetta and shove it mate.Isn''t it about time you flounced off again anyway?

I''m really really struggling to find anything positive to say about Grant Holt. How anyone can say they would rather see holt ahead of kamara is beyond me. Would really like to see becchio be given the nod over him who sadly is overweight, sulks and is not good enough. Its not jumping on the bandwagon. We are all grateful for what he has done. however! Hes been poor for a long time imo. that''s the harsh reality which some fans need to accept.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="morty"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

He clearly has his mind on his preferred position of an attacking midfielder playing off a lone striker, and not on the role he was being asked to play, he gave the ball away cheaply, often when trying to push forward. He doesn''t have the positional awareness required, look at Bradley if you want to see how he should have been playing.

[/quote]

[/quote]

You''re right, I have no idea the brief Howson was given.

But I know what I saw, and I saw a man not comfortable in his position, fluffing simple passes.

And I know enough about football to know when a player is playing badly for this reason, as opposed to the whole team playing badly.

Would you pick Howson over a fully fit Tettey?
[/quote]

I think the thing about Howson is that when he does give the ball away is that I can see that he is pretty much always trying to play the right pass but he''s just played it wrongly. I''d be more concerned if it was never the right pass but most of the time he has got the right idea.

It was something Tettey was also guilty of - giving the ball away cheaply. However, what I like about both players (and Bradley Johnson too) is that they will fight to get the ball back if they give it away.

Would I pick Howson over a fully fit Tettey? I''m not sure. I''m loath to make it into such a competition because I see them both as very good players and I would like to see them in the same team because I think that could make us a bit more dynamic.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="morty"]My opinion is that he looks very one dimensional, and very out of his depth.

[/quote]

[/quote]He clearly has his mind on his preferred position of an attacking midfielder playing off a lone striker, and not on the role he was being asked to play, he gave the ball away cheaply, often when trying to push forward. He doesn''t have the positional awareness required, look at Bradley if you want to see how he should have been playing.

[/quote]

[/quote]You''re right, I have no idea the brief Howson was given.But I know what I saw, and I saw a man not comfortable in his position, fluffing simple passes.And I know enough about football to know when a player is playing badly for this reason, as opposed to the whole team playing badly.Would you pick Howson over a fully fit Tettey?[/quote]

I think the thing about Howson is that when he does give the ball away is that I can see that he is pretty much always trying to play the right pass but he''s just played it wrongly. I''d be more concerned if it was never the right pass but most of the time he has got the right idea.

It was something Tettey was also guilty of - giving the ball away cheaply. However, what I like about both players (and Bradley Johnson too) is that they will fight to get the ball back if they give it away.

Would I pick Howson over a fully fit Tettey? I''m not sure. I''m loath to make it into such a competition because I see them both as very good players and I would like to see them in the same team because I think that could make us a bit more dynamic.

[/quote]Personally my first choice would be Mesut Ozil.....

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]You''re right, I have no idea the brief Howson was given.But I know what I saw, and I saw a man not comfortable in his position, fluffing simple passes.And I know enough about football to know when a player is playing badly for this reason, as opposed to the whole team playing badly.Would you pick Howson over a fully fit Tettey?[/quote]

[/quote]So when he gives the ball away, as long as he does it with good intentions, that makes it okay lol?Sorry, but we''re not about making do anymore, we have to be taking a step up in class, which we have done already with players like Bassong and Tettey.Howson has to up his game or he will be left behind with the likes of Surman.

He''s a lazy, overweight liability. I really hate to be saying these things about him after what''s he''s done for us, but I''m afraid it''s time to move on Grant

[quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="morty"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You''re right, I have no idea the brief Howson was given.

But I know what I saw, and I saw a man not comfortable in his position, fluffing simple passes.

And I know enough about football to know when a player is playing badly for this reason, as opposed to the whole team playing badly.

Would you pick Howson over a fully fit Tettey?
[/quote]

[/quote]

So when he gives the ball away, as long as he does it with good intentions, that makes it okay lol?

Sorry, but we''re not about making do anymore, we have to be taking a step up in class, which we have done already with players like Bassong and Tettey.

Howson has to up his game or he will be left behind with the likes of Surman.
[/quote]

Yeah, it doesn''t make it okay but you''re looking for a player who has at least got the right idea even if he doesn''t get the execution right. If you''re not even looking to right the pass then you''ve got a problem.

Will you be as critical of Tettey if/when he gives the ball away?

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]So when he gives the ball away, as long as he does it with good intentions, that makes it okay lol?Sorry, but we''re not about making do anymore, we have to be taking a step up in class, which we have done already with players like Bassong and Tettey.Howson has to up his game or he will be left behind with the likes of Surman.[/quote]

Yeah, it doesn''t make it okay but you''re looking for a player who has at least got the right idea even if he doesn''t get the execution right. If you''re not even looking to right the pass then you''ve got a problem.

Will you be as critical of Tettey if/when he gives the ball away?

[/quote]Of course I would be critical of Tettey if he played like Howson did today, are you trying to imply some kind of rose tinted favouritism to some players?I can play like Pele in my head but I can''t translate it to the actual ball kicking bit. Being able to link brain to feet is kinda important to a footballer.Sarcasm aside, yeah I take your point, and I thought Howson showed a lot of promise back end of last season, and he wasn''t the only one playing badly today, but he really was far short of the standard required.

On a Sunday league game you may get players being petulant because they arnt getting passed to well enough by their mates but it''s not the attitude I want to see from players at this club. I want to see them digging in and helping each other. If that is the reason for his attitude towards being on the pitch at the moment.

I know that Holty has been good for us in the past but just watched the highlights from today''s game and he was lucky not to be sent off. He seems to have slowed up a lot now and He is not now as good as he used to be. When we survive the drop I don''t think it would be worth holding onto him for another season,

[quote user="GJP"]He might as well not have bothered to come on today, looked like he was having a massive sulk. I suspect a breakdown in the relationship between manager and player.[/quote]

You have no evidence to support that, I think he was told to bolster up the midfield as we had Bennett and Johnson playing with a knock, so he was instructed to sit a little deeper so not to leave them exposed.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Bloody Holt, had 10 minutes on the pitch and didnt get a hattrick.Sell him !!!Some of you lot really are a bunch of tw@ts post match.[/quote]So you think his attitude today was good, and he put maximum effort in?[/quote]I dont think he was really given much of a chance to make an impact. Holt normally gives us 110% think its a bit unfair to point fingers at him after only 10 mins on the pitch.Can we moan about Wes doing the Fifa spin every 5 mins and losing the ballOr Johnnie "Leeds play in white, oh shite i play in Yellow now" Howson who couldnt pass a ball to a Yellow shirt if his life depended on it today[/quote]

Howson was one of our best players second half.

The howson one is interesting, for the first time I saw why I think he''s been put Into the team.

At times he was breaking from his midfield position and driving into their half with a bit of energy, the team looked good for it and like we would get in behind their back 4, although this didn''t happen enough, only when we were on top for the first 20 mins of second half and the end of first.

At one point he got himself into a good position first half, kei was on the shoulder of the defender and he just needed to play the ball through, he didn''t, tried to play it wide and lost it.

Was a frustrating game from him, felt there was a bit of potential there today which is a huge improvement from previous games. Id almost be inclined to develop him into wes'' role. Wes looked so slow breaking forward with and without the ball, according to Leeds fans this was his best position.

No way can we start playing 5 obvious midfielders at this point when the whole crowd wants goals so desperately though, Hughton would be at a loss before the first whistle again.

Tettey to come back in because in a holding role you know what your going to get with him, think the rest of the players do too.

Holt was rubbish, Howson wasn''t. I''m glad I could clear that part up for you all.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

This thread breaks the all-time record for the amount of ill-informed BS being posted![:@][:@][:@]

[/quote]So what''s the well-informed truth according to you?