Sign in to follow this  
steve b

Has Hughton lost the crowd

[quote user="steve b"]When Michu scored the chant of Hughton Sort It Out was heard, in my opinion he is starting to lose sections of the crowd and when that happens the writing is usually on the wall![/quote]I don''t think he ever had the crowd to start with.  The job was always going to be something of a poisoned chalice in following a fantastically successful manager, and his pragmatic style of football hasn''t endeared him to anyone as far as I can see.  Because Lambert left in such shabby circumstances, Hughton got a bit of slack - but the 5-0 first match no-show at Fulham did for all of that.Luckily, his job isn''t to endear himself to supporters - it''s to keep the team in the Premier League and rebuild in the summer, and he''s on track to achieve this.

What is remarkable about Hughton is his ability to attract criticism for:a) over-coaching, shouting at players for the whole 90 minutes and "micro-managing"b) standing on the touchline with his hands in his pockets like "a rabbit in headlights"I know people see what they want to see, but if he''s doing (a) then he can''t be doing (b).

I thought Hughton would at least be a decent coach, improving our players. He hasn''t, he just moans we aren''t good enough. If his idea of improving is buying more expensive players - there are plenty of other managers who could improve a team by spending money.

He has never given me the impression he likes Norwich City, and a bond with the fans hasn''t developed.

For now though, we need to be 100% behind the team every game until safe.

Strange. He seems to have been posting under a different name this morning. What crazy scheme have you got going on Wiz?

[quote user="Wiz"]Maybe old wiz was right after all.[/quote]Your signature certainly proved it...[img] http://www.carrowroad.net/carrow/images/ncfc-wizzo1.jpg[/img]

[quote user="Herman "]Strange. He seems to have been posting under a different name this morning. What crazy scheme have you got going on Wiz?[/quote]

I''m always trying out different things, signatures etc Herman, don''t concern yourself with it too much.. I never do.

Never confused mate. I always know what''s going on. Well, most of the time.

I think he is frustrating the crowd more than losing them, no shots on target at Wigan and then puts out the same outfield team against Wigan, Howsen and Hoolahan not able to pass to another Norwich player whilst the more creative Fox sits on the bench doesn''t help his cause. IMO the outfield players that finished the game are the ones that should have started yesterday, if Tettey wasn''t fit enough to play the full 90 Fox should have started in his place, if Holt is out of favour Becchio should have partnered Kamara. When we went 1-0 down the fans had the right to chant for him to sort it out, I don''t agree with a minority that were calling for him to be sacked though.

Loved by Geordies and Brummies I expected to feel the love for Hughton here but I don''t and only twice have I heard positive chants of his name to which he generously responds which indicates the crowd in general haven''t adopted him.

The team selection against Swansea didn''t endear supporters and once again we saw the opposition manager making substitutes to effect the game when Hughton just dallied. He has even dallied when we have players injured and clearly unable to continue; yes, Chops he does ''freeze'' on occasion and go hyper for periods, it''s like a stress test, perhaps he''ll run away one day too?

It''s about time some of you so called fans stopped eulogising this ''johnny come lately manager'' over the players who have made this club a Premier League Club. Why cut him all the slack and not them some of it. Okay, Grant Holt has his own way of going about it and criticism aside, he is how he is despite the destructive effect to his own game and the side in general.

On Saturday we had a Swansea manager who was a top player continuing the Swansea ethos and method because he had the players to play that way. What did we do? We lost the Pope and brought in the Anti-Christ.

Rudolph. "Only twice have I heard positive chants of his name"

Come on, I have been to all the home games and quite a few away and his name is chanted regularly, I think you must either be a bit hard of hearing, or like my kids only hear what you want to!

OK! Only twice, at home games, have the Chris Hughton chants been loud enough for me to hear in The Cathedral Lounge (and it isn''t because of the background noise in those seats).

Well the chants come from the snakepit /barclay area,,and if you observe Hughton (which I believe you do) he always acknowledges them.

I can imagine that the background noise in the cathedral lounge would be less than deafening. Lol!!

Rudolph. I am cutting him some slack because he has the potential to become a good manager. Some of you seem to forget that he is relatively new at management so is still learning the ropes.

He also took over from one of our best managers ever, which is never an easy thing to do.

He also took over a club with one of the smallest budgets in the league. And with that budget he has bought some high quality additions and is looking to add more.

He needs to be given time to see what he can achieve.

Some fans want to replace him with God knows who, who will have to start over,and will be given bugger all time as well because of impatience, and then we end up back to long years in the Championship. The vicious circle. ...

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

We lost the Pope and brought in the Anti-Christ.

[/quote]It''s always pleasing when people keep a sense of perspective in life.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

Hughton has plenty of good points but he is a coach.

Management is a different skill set and he just doesn''t have it.

[/quote]
If you would be so kind as to differentiate the two, just so I can be sure you''re not repeating the same rubbish from someone elses mouth.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="Wiz"]Maybe old wiz was right after all.[/quote]

[/quote]

Whoever took the hump about this identical picture on the Kamara thread has obviously missed this one.

I generally believe he has never convinced a large portion of the crowd. I went to Fulham on the first day of the season expecting to see a hungry team desperate to play for its new manager what i got to see was pathetic and to be honest it set the tone for most of this season.

I don''t think Hughton has ever really won over the dressing room for that matter. Having cut out around 50% of the squad from last year he would of obviously had a lot of players used to playing a lot suddenly being told they were not good enough. Similar to AVB at Chelsea and that must be bad for squad moral. Holt has never look at any stage like he has wanted to play for Hughton and he is our most influential player in the dressing room so that tells you a lot. I also don''t think our squad enjoy playing the way he wants us too you can see the frustration in there players a lot. They have been used to the manager having faith in them to attack and be good enough to outscore the opposition then in come Hughton and he seems to have no faith in them to do anything.

I think we will stay up but based more on the failings of others than our own ability. In all honesty he should be gone in the summer and replaced by Poyet but i doubt our board would have the conviction needed for such acts.

I''m amazed that Trollpe and Calderwood have been left out of this thread. Has Holts dip in form got anything to do with his history with Calderwood or Calderwoods opinion of Holt?

Trollope never played above the Championship level (I Believe) - If I recall correctly his bust up with Ben Foster caused unrest and ended with Foster moving to WBA

May be the time is for CH to have a good close look at his back room staff during the close season?

[quote user="Yellow Messiah"]No[/quote]

parts of it he has - including myself!!  Needs to buck his ideas up or might have some uncomfortable comments ringing in his ears if we lose to Reading!!

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]ncfcstar - "He will only lose my support if we play similar football next season, as long as we stay up this season I don''t give a damn how we play. Only 6 games left." Teams have been picked this season by necessity. I 100% agree with the comment above.[/quote]

can you honestly see Hughton changing his philosophy so dramatically from what we''re seeing now to some free-flowing,free-scoring team next season?.Its just to much of a departure for me to believe.

''if'' we stay up and these much-talked of riches come our way, Next season a Norwich manager will have funds that no-one in our history will have anywhere close to.....I''m not sure that Hughton is the best man out there to give them to?

[/quote]Free-flowing, free-scoring team? What like under Lambert?I think you''ll find free-flowing to be a bit of your imagination. We did play some good football but we also played a huge amount of long balls. Second only to Stoke i think?We''re not going to be like that. But we can certainly be more attacking than we are now, once he has proven quality he knows can create more than we do at the moment without having to risk throwing everyone forwards.Hughton not the best man to give funds to? Have you seen our signings since he''s been here? They''ve probably collectively been our best players this season. People seem to be under the impression that because we lumped the ball forwards alot last season and threw alot of people forwards, we''re in a Sunday league where it''s fine to do so again. Last season was fantastic but can you not remember thinking we would conceed on every counter?

[quote user="Hannibal II"]I generally believe he has never convinced a large portion of the crowd. I went to Fulham on the first day of the season expecting to see a hungry team desperate to play for its new manager what i got to see was pathetic and to be honest it set the tone for most of this season. I don''t think Hughton has ever really won over the dressing room for that matter. Having cut out around 50% of the squad from last year he would of obviously had a lot of players used to playing a lot suddenly being told they were not good enough. Similar to AVB at Chelsea and that must be bad for squad moral. Holt has never look at any stage like he has wanted to play for Hughton and he is our most influential player in the dressing room so that tells you a lot. I also don''t think our squad enjoy playing the way he wants us too you can see the frustration in there players a lot. They have been used to the manager having faith in them to attack and be good enough to outscore the opposition then in come Hughton and he seems to have no faith in them to do anything.

I think we will stay up but based more on the failings of others than our own ability. In all honesty he should be gone in the summer and replaced by Poyet but i doubt our board would have the conviction needed for such acts.[/quote]If this has been evident all season why was none of this mentioned on our unbeaten run? Genuine question - all the self-proclaimed managers on this forum seem to make out that this has been clear for all but the terminally dim to see since the start yet i saw very few if any of these kind of claims earlier in the season.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

We lost the Pope and brought in the Anti-Christ.

[/quote]It''s always pleasing when people keep a sense of perspective in life.[/quote][:D]

If this is the case, then it is dangerous. Terrace or seated experts who are convinced that the manager is making mistakes, should still support the team. Anything audible about the manager is not going to help the players. CH is all we have, and it is too late and too dislocating to think of running him down, or suggesting his departure. The die is cast, and recriminations must wait until after the season.

We all need to pull together, and roar our support for the team. They seem to be lacking confidence, and we do not need to add to their doubts. If they go behind, urge them forward not engage in crticism of them or the manager.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and I must admit that I have a few doubts about the lack of flexibility in CH''s thinking, but this is not the time to voice them publicly.