Sign in to follow this  
steve b

Has Hughton lost the crowd

When Michu scored the chant of Hughton Sort It Out was heard, in my opinion he is starting to lose sections of the crowd and when that happens the writing is usually on the wall!

Think he is on a tight rope, his in-ability to make changes or perhaps his demeanor seems to suggest he doesnt care or worse is not in control is more worrying.We dont know whats going on in his head but un-fortunatly it seems the opinion is that he doesnt have much of a clue.

It was only a matter of time before the home crowd started to see what those of us have been subjected to away from home this season.

regardless of whether we stay up or go down, I don''t think I want Hughton back here next season, no matter how many RVW type signings we might make, I dont see Hughton changing his philosophy whilst he maintains this ''little Norwich'' mentality.

He will only lose my support if we play similar football next season, as long as we stay up this season I don''t give a damn how we play. Only 6 games left.

[quote user="ncfcstar"]He will only lose my support if we play similar football next season, as long as we stay up this season I don''t give a damn how we play. Only 6 games left.[/quote]

This 1million %

There was a guy in M block of the Jarrold repeatedly standing and shouting abuse at Hughton. He was doing his nut but pretty much alone.

There was a lot of muttering and moaning especially before the equaliser. It would be overstated to say he''d lost the crowd but there is certainly discontent.

Grumblings have increased as the season has gone on. Grumbling before the game today, with the same line up that failed at Wigan.

Noticeably more discontent and boos amongst fans during the recent games.

But he is getting the job done...just.

ncfcstar - "He will only lose my support if we play similar football next season, as long as we stay up this season I don''t give a damn how we play. Only 6 games left."

Teams have been picked this season by necessity. I 100% agree with the comment above.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]ncfcstar - "He will only lose my support if we play similar football next season, as long as we stay up this season I don''t give a damn how we play. Only 6 games left." Teams have been picked this season by necessity. I 100% agree with the comment above.[/quote]

can you honestly see Hughton changing his philosophy so dramatically from what we''re seeing now to some free-flowing,free-scoring team next season?.Its just to much of a departure for me to believe.

''if'' we stay up and these much-talked of riches come our way, Next season a Norwich manager will have funds that no-one in our history will have anywhere close to.....I''m not sure that Hughton is the best man out there to give them to?

I really don''t know what some fans expect. If he had splashed the cash of Southampton or QPR and yet ''only'' achieved 13th place in the table with a small fraction of the season to go, or if he had had several seasons of Premiership income to build a team that was languishing in 13th place and sooooooooo much more likely to be relegated than the six other teams who have achieved fewer points so far then I would think he is a little incompetent. As it happens, the guy has assembled a team that, to date, has won (yes; ''won'', not ''stolen'' or ''fluked'') more points than big-spending QPR and four teams that have enjoyed multiple years of Premiership income on which to build their squad. Out of the bottom seven teams, which manager is currently the highest achiever considering the funds at his disposal?

Even yesterday''s opponents had zero debt upon entering the PL and have had double-digit sales of players to re-invest to get where they are today. If their manager is so great and his tactical nouse so much better than than Hughton''s then why did they fail to beat us today? Why is the messianic Martin O''Neill''s team still below us in the table if all performances and results in football are entirely down to the tactical competence of the manager?

Some of you whinge like spoilt kids as soon as the bubble bursts; you really do.

Patience is starting to wear thin. There was no excuse for the way the team started the game today.  If Hughton can''t motivate his players for such an important game then something is seriously wrong.However, I still think Hughton will be forgiven if he keeps the side in the league.  If that is the case, the supporters won''t be as forgiving next season though.

There was a lady called Linda on Canary Call today who was very articulate on her concerns regarding Chris Hughton. She was clearly a woman that attends matches, knew how to get her points across in a very balanced way regarding the choices Hughton makes as well as the way he comes across in tv/radio interviews and in the press. She was challenged on her views but stood up for her positions very well. Worth listening to. Certainly presented her position much better than many on this forum.

"ncfcstar" He will only lose my support if we play similar football next season, as long as we stay up this season I don''t give a damn how we play. Only 6 games left.

I tend to agree with this as well. Although I can see it is hard for some to like him, especially those paying to watch week in week out.

The reality check is we willsurvive albeit by a narrow margin. Hughton will be here next season and will make some astute signings RVW being the first that will significantly improve the current squad which defence apart hasa distinct championship feel about it

Heard that call as I was walking back from the game Yankee. I''m not keen on the way he talks the club and the team down in the media either, I recall being particularly taken aback by his comments after the Fulham debacle, but it is worth remembering that what he says to the players at Colney and in that dressing room is far more important than what he says to a group of journalists that he probably doesn''t trust.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]The reality check is we willsurvive albeit by a narrow margin. Hughton will be here next season and will make some astute signings RVW being the first that will significantly improve the current squad which defence apart hasa distinct championship feel about it[/quote]

I''m afraid you''re right in that Hughton will still be here next season. I''m not entirely sure that we will stay up but if we do it will be because of the failings of others. But after 45 years at Carrow Road, I won''t be attending next year.  I suspect that I am one of many.There have been many posts saying that life under Hughton isn''t as bad as Roeder, Gunn, Hamilton & co.  Possibly, but Hughton had the advantage of inheriting the best Norwich side for 20 years,.  And he has turned probably the most exciting Norwich side I think I''ve ever seen into one of the most boring.  Why he was ever given the job in the first place is a mystery to me but we must act in the summer and get rid of him.  And before I''m accused of being wise after the event, I did post last summer predicting boredom and relegation.  Let''s face it, anyone unfortunate enough to see Birmingham play last year must have realised what was going to happen.I''m sure that many of you think I should be getting behind the team rather than moaning, but the fact is that if we survive this year it will only be postponing the inevitable.  Hughton is probably the most tactically inept manager currently working in the Premier League and is completely incapable of affecting the course of a game with substitutions or changes in tactics.  But unlike Lambert, he''s a nice guy who the Board probably get on with very well. Is that why he''s still here?

People are getting frustrated with the style more than the results IMO, despite a terrible run.

But we need to see the big picture. Lambert era was fun and fab but there is a reason he bailed. Once we had risen the wave of optimism from two promotions the bubble burst and the tail end of last season was dire. We suddenly looked like a championship side struggling in the prem.

For me Houghton is doing a great job. Just look at howych better the defence is. Sadly he didn''t have the money to add a midfield or attack. So he has opted to play damn safe and limp accross the line. That he refuses to cave in to crowd pressure shows he has balls. He knows that we will knick a victory somehow and then draw enough to survive. Given the truly awful displays at the start of the season - who can blame him for punting the team to do more?

So I say job done so far- if we do survive he deserves credit given the budget. But then, like others, i want to seebetter fotmations and options next. Because let us be frank we are so one dimensional at present.

[quote user="ncfcstar"]He will only lose my support if we play similar football next season, as long as we stay up this season I don''t give a damn how we play. Only 6 games left.[/quote]

I agree.

I guess the issue Mr B is whether Hughton''s an effective motivator. Last year''s team would have run through brick walls for their manager. I fear we will face a Villa team with the same mentality.

I''m sure Lambert was a difficult man for the board to get on with. It was all about winning football matches for Lambert - and i assume he was very demanding on the board as a result. It''s that lack of positivity which will likely cost our place in the league.

Disagree there DCB. I think most people realise that this season was always going to be about consolidation and survival given the upheaval of the summer. No one would mind the style of football we''ve witnessed this season if it were still producing the results, however 1 win in 15 and the passing by of many winnable home games without picking up 3 points demonstrates that it isn''t.

People are frustrated that we got ourselves into a fantastic position and we''ve squandered it, and that we''re still plugging away with the same tactics week in week out when it''s clear that it''s not working.

[quote user="dylanisabaddog"][quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]The reality check is we willsurvive albeit by a narrow margin. Hughton will be here next season and will make some astute signings RVW being the first that will significantly improve the current squad which defence apart hasa distinct championship feel about it[/quote]

I''m afraid you''re right in that Hughton will still be here next season. I''m not entirely sure that we will stay up but if we do it will be because of the failings of others. But after 45 years at Carrow Road, I won''t be attending next year.  I suspect that I am one of many.

There have been many posts saying that life under Hughton isn''t as bad as Roeder, Gunn, Hamilton & co.  Possibly, but Hughton had the advantage of inheriting the best Norwich side for 20 years,.  And he has turned probably the most exciting Norwich side I think I''ve ever seen into one of the most boring. 

Why he was ever given the job in the first place is a mystery to me but we must act in the summer and get rid of him.  And before I''m accused of being wise after the event, I did post last summer predicting boredom and relegation.  Let''s face it, anyone unfortunate enough to see Birmingham play last year must have realised what was going to happen.

I''m sure that many of you think I should be getting behind the team rather than moaning, but the fact is that if we survive this year it will only be postponing the inevitable.  Hughton is probably the most tactically inept manager currently working in the Premier League and is completely incapable of affecting the course of a game with substitutions or changes in tactics.  But unlike Lambert, he''s a nice guy who the Board probably get on with very well. Is that why he''s still here?
[/quote]

To coin a phrase; "Fanning Flames into Sparks!"

I think many of us appreciate we needed to shore-up our defence, however it''s made this season''s spectacle rather lack-lustre in the process. We need to focus on the bigger picture and stay up any which way we can. Then look forward to players like VW...

Much to my surprise, I actually agreed with Butler last night on Canary Call that this is "not fan-friendly football".  It''s back to the "should football be entertainment" issue.  ''Nother thing said was that this is Hoo''uns style of football and he wont change his philosophy.  Ok, he probably didn''t use such long words, but if anyone thinks that next season will bring on free-flowing, attacking football, then it''s clear there''ll have to be a change of manager for that to happen.I pays my money and I want to be entertained.  Right now, in Norfolk, that''s watching King''s Lynn.ps don''t give Butler the job of reading out the local football results, please.  It''s torture to listen to him trying to read.

There are definitely sections of the crowd turning against him as was evident by the chanting yesterday. He can hardly expect support when he send teams out that don''t know what their supposed to be doing, and when he is totally unable to tactically change a game,

Fully agree. Football is supposed to be an entertainment.

Can go along with achieving this years business objective, but after that will be looking for things to change!

I think he is losing the crowd, OK we got a point against Swansea but as a home side was having only 35% posession acceptable? Again, no impact changes made until the 80th minute when it''s too late. Unfortunately I can see this lack of imagination and ambition continuing next season. I think we are stuck with Hughton for the rest of this season, but is it time for the board to consider a change for next season?