Sign in to follow this  
The Ghost of Percy Varco

Throwing coins at Baggies players

I''ve been reading the BBC 606 site this morning and there have been repeated comments made on the West Brom page in reference to Norwich fans throwing coins at West Brom players. I saw a few things being thrown at Kieron Richardson from the snake pit when he scored but can anyone shed any light on this matter?

There were a fewer fair items thrown at the manure idiot  (what else can he expect with that sort of fan baiting ) but not sure what most of the items where - I was amused to see a pie fly and land beside him though - death by delias best!  - and the response from the sankepit and lower barclay A block did disappoint me , even aloowing for the  provocation.

OTBC  

Cant say I saw any of this either.

Richardson was asking for a reaction by "celebrating" in the way that he did. Not that it is right to throw things at a player of course, but he made a point of running away from his new colleagues to the snake pit, and incited the crowd. He should be reported for this in my view.

Also, anybody else on here see Geoff Horsefield warming up, blowing kisses at home fans, mouthing off at them, etc? If people do this in good nature, then fine, but good natured this was not.

I didn''t see any, but what an idiot, celebrating right in front of the snakepit.

His attitude and behaviour just made it funnier when he skewed his shot hilariously wide in the last minute.  He looked like he was going to cry!

I seriously cannot believe what I''m reading here.Have all your logins been stolen by someone with an IQ of below 10?Players can celebrate wherever the hell they want to. They are footballers, their work is done on the pitch - we are fans, we (and our pies) stay in the stand.I can''t believe that some people are suggesting it''s his fault.If this is true then whoever did it needs banning, and if you agree with it then you need banning too.

For goodness sake, bananaman, nowhere in this post does anyone applaud or defend the throwing of items at players.  Any statement that suggests anything like that is immediately followed up by a disclaimer.

Your claim that players can celebrate "wherever the hell they want to" is also inaccurate.  As a professional footballer you have a responsibility to remain professional at all times.  To go charging toward the most vocal area of opposition fans gesturing and winding them up will simply serve to annoy and frustrate them, making them potentially more volatile.  This should lead to a booking, because the FA realises this behaviour has repercussions.

Nobody suggested it was his fault that (allegedly) anyone threw anything at him.  But what we are saying is that the arrogant child should not have behaved as he did, players have received bookings for less this season, and Richardson got what he deserved when we won and he missed a good opportunity in the dying moments.

This is Americanized politics gone way out of control, too many Jerry Springer watchers these days.

What you''re essentially saying is the ethic of being a football fan these days means we can shout "cheat", "scum", "fat", "waste of money", "w*nker", "t0sser", and much worse. We can boo them whenever they touch the ball, bring into question their parentage, but if they have the temerity to throw it back in our faces by scoring a goal in a highly charged match then we want to press charges???!!

Dry your eyes and take it like men.

If he''s bringing the game into disrepute, then so are you for chanting naughty words cos you started it ya booo sucks etc.

A bit of common sense wouldn''t go amiss in these situations.

[quote]I seriously cannot believe what I''m reading here.Have all your logins been stolen by someone with an IQ of below 10?Players can celebrate wherever the hell they want to. They are footballers, their wo...[/quote]

Agreed Banana Man, we neither want or can afford this form of activity to be deemed amusing or allowable, only bad will come of it.

I wasn''t at the game on Sat - in spirit only.
Can anyone actually tell me what Richardson did, as no one has really specified although it''s been much spoken of.

So what you''re saying, bananaman, is that after Richardson celebrated and gestured to the snakepit, you sat there quietly, applauding a jolly good goal?  And you have never shouted at a player, or joined in derogatory chants directed at players at all?

I bet you''ve never insulted anyone in your life.  Still, I''d better go or I''ll miss the end of Jerry Springer...

[quote]I wasn''t at the game on Sat - in spirit only. Can anyone actually tell me what Richardson did, as no one has really specified although it''s been much spoken of.[/quote]

http://new.pinkun.com/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PINKUNOnline&tCategory=Homepage&itemid=NOED07%20Feb%202005%2014%3A47%3A10%3A670

See above article for more details.

Interesting debate here. I get very passionate at football (ask my son!), but would not condone throwing anything at anyone under any circumstances. Richardson knew what he was doing full well, and it certainly did get everyone wound up - he would have known full well what he was provoking though inspite of the euphoria he was no doubt feeling at scoring.

However Geoff Horsefield was a different matter - no euphoria induced behaviour there but a clear attempt to pour a little more petrol on a potentially inflamed situation as he warmed up. Surely this is less defendable behaviour?

Never mind - the fat lady in the Stand had the last song on the day!

Cheers, I know he was ''gesturing'' etc, but what did he specifically do? Hands cupped behind ears, middle finger extended, hand cupped and moving up and down?

Personally I think that these incidents are all part of the fun of going to matches, and although I won''t condone fans throwing stuff at players, screaming abuse at them is just fine I think.
Richardson could likewise be charged by the police for behaviour likely to cause a public disturbance. Just needs a few people to complain that''s all...

No Splendid Rush, I''m not saying you are a Jerry Springer watcher, but football is in danger of going down the long, stoney road to lawsuits-ville.

There is a line - the advertising hoardings.

If anyone (player or fan) cross it, or directly cause an object to cross it, you are breaching a boundary that has been there for 100 years. We don''t want to end up like the Italians, or the Dutch with refs bleeding from the head and games called off.

I''m not saying don''t flick v-signs, or don''t let him know he likes to over-indluge in spanking the monkey.

What I''m saying is, don''t cry about it when he gets his reward and lets you know about it. That is, after all, the essence of the game - rising above the opposing players and fans, and proving that you can take it.

Ronaldo was booked for holding his finger to his mouth at the Arsenal fans when he scored.  It is a law of the game if you are deemed as a Professional player to incite crowd trouble.  Richardson could have been booked, but wasn''t end of story.

The crowd shouting abuse at oppo players is what the home advantage is all about.  Put them off, make them nervous whatever, if it gives your team an edge than that''s the whole point isn''t it?  

Actually chucking stuff onto the pitch is a different story though.

Were you actually at the game Bananaman? Richardson was singled out for abuse AFTER his provocative and OTT goal celebration, geddit? Also-and im guessing most people must have missed this as not alot has been made of it-he was giving very clear `bishop-bashing` and `one-finger` salutes to the Barclay and Snakepit as he walked off the pitch after the game. Dont forget this bloke is payed very good wages to play football for 90 minutes in a focussed and professional manner-im sure most of us could put up with a bit of abuse for 10k a week!

As far as im concerned it just makes the result even sweeter to know that it was partly little Kieron and the subs antics which fired the crowd and team up enough to produce a victory, but i for one will be pleased if the little t**t gets done for his behavior.

[quote]Were you actually at the game Bananaman? Richardson was singled out for abuse AFTER his provocative and OTT goal celebration, geddit? Also-and im guessing most people must have missed this as not alot...[/quote]

If a player crosses the line of competitive decency then he should be reported and the matter dealt with in the correct way.
By throwing things at the player it brings our club in to disrepute which could lead to hefty fines - which the club could do without- and the reputation of "all" the clubs fans are tarnished. Games may have to be played behind closed doors.
The vocal support has been fantastic for the last few seasons if we can''t take things like this and rise above them then may be we aren''t amongst the best supporters in the league?

There was a coin thrown at Richardson when he was baiting the crowd. The linesman picked it up a few minutes later. There was also a pie thrown but that was in direction of the linesman who missed the offside.

[quote]This is Americanized politics gone way out of control, too many Jerry Springer watchers these days. What you''re essentially saying is the ethic of being a football fan these days means we can shout "...[/quote]

bananaman do you sit in the top tier of the River End?

Of more concern to me than Richardson (grow up) and the idiots who threw coins (well ''ard, you prats) are the reports that some cretinous gobsh*t*s thought that it would be fun to spit abuse at the WBA mascot as he passed by, reducing him to tears. We''re talking about a CHILD, whose special day was spoilt by some cretins wearing yellow and green. Hope you''re proud of yourselves; you''ve made me ashamed to be a Canaries supporter today.    

No I don''t sit in the river end Beds, I sit in the Barclay.

And I can take it when a 21 year old tosser from Man Utd waves his finger at me, unlike a lot of my companions in that stand who need to get over it.

I don''t care what Richardson did, but I do care what our fans did because it affects our clubs future.

Coins were thrown, a pie was thrown at the linesman and a child was reduced to tears.

Any more painfully moronic behaviour to report?

I`m sorry you seem to be running out of things to get high and mighty about Bananaman-i`ll see if i can think of something to keep you going......

As for your other points, can i ask again whether you were at the game? I was in the Snakepit and saw no coins thrown-the only person on this thread who reckons he saw anything other than the infamous pie (sacrilege surely!?) was ONE coin-not to be condoned but hardly a lethal barrage eh? Delia`s finest was thrown at Richardson, not the lino, and the whole mascot thing seems to have cropped up on a Baggies message board. As they obviously left Carrow Rd more than a little bitter, is a pinch of salt not needed with this one?

Any more innacuracies and rumours you want to post to keep yourself feeling superior to others Bananaman?

The only thing you can think of is to point out that I feel superior to a brainless NFN who can''t keep his change in his pocket if someone celebrates in front of him?

Well, sorry, but yes I do.

Not superior to you. Or anyone else who has the sense not to throw things.

And may I ask what this thread would have been if the coin/pie had hit it''s intended target? Are you only arguing with me because the object missed?

Bananaman''s right - it could affect our club if it goes further. We could be docked points, and we don''t have many of those. It''s like when a player gets a reputation for being easily wound up, the opposing team plays on that because there''s something in it for them. So stop it.

There is a guy who`s been posting on another message board who reckons he threw the pie and it hit Richardson on the the thigh. Doesn`t really change the argument much does it?

I can only surmise from your posts that you didn`t see the incident. There is a massive difference between `celebrating` a goal in front of opposing supporters (its impossible not to really!) and running to within a few metres of the most volatile part of the ground and leering, mouthing off and giving `come on then` gestures, with several of your team-mates trying to hold you back as Richardson did. As i stated earlier he hadn`t been singled out for abuse before this so it can only be seen as a deliberately provocative act.

If you put partisan emotion aside, in the cold light of day his actions could have led to a much nastier incident and at some other grounds it probably would have. This is the reality. So any action taken against him should be seen less as a punishment and more as a deterent to himself and any other hotheads who might act in the same way.

Surely if fans have a responsibility not to overstep the mark by throwing stuff, then well payed professionals have a responsibility not to provoke such actions in the first place?

Of course its just not on for Norwich fans to throw things onto the pitch as it may have consequences for the club, and anyone who did should be ashamed of themselves.

However, neither should players deliberately provoke the opposition crowd. As far as I''m concerned Richardson is just a childish little tw*t. He could easily have gone to celebrate with the West Brom fans but he chose to wind up the Norwich fans instead. Mind you, coming from Man Utd as he does I wouldn''t really expect anything else.

If it was a Norwich player who had behaved the way that Richardson did we could expect an FA investigation, but luckily our players know how to behave.

I guess its really a good job that he missed that chance in the last minute (and not just because it would have cost us two points).