Sign in to follow this  

I honestly believe that had Ruddy not got injured he would have saved us 6 points or so and we would have been safely in mid table and all this negativity would be a non starter.

The goal against Wigan was one example. Bunn has been bullied for a couple of goals at corners which I think Ruddy would have dealt with (I cannot remember who against). I think Ruddy commands his area better which also gives confidence to the back four. Also his distribution is excellent which makes us more potent on the counter attack.

Ruddy is a better shot shopper than Bunn and that coupled with the fact that he is a bigger keeper I feel he may have saved some of the goals conceded that went diagonally in the corners.

So I feel we would have been home and hosed had Ruddy not got injured and Hughton would be far more popular.

What do you think?

Possibly. I think especially in Bunn''s first few games he made a few mistakes that Ruddy may not have made, given the form that he was in at the time. But that''s neither here nor there really; Ruddy did get injured and credit to Hughton for getting plenty of back up in. Bunn and Camp may not be as good as Ruddy, but they''re better than chucking a 20 year old in at the deep end; we could have been even worse off had that been the case.

This is true. Bunn is he ideal No.2 as he is never going to be a No.1 at this level and is probably happy to sit on the bench and play the Carling Cup and the odd PL game.

When he got injured Ruddy was looking like just about the best keeper in the division and our best player by a distance. To be honest I''m surprised we''ve done as well as we have without him.

If you were a positive thinking manager, and assuming Ruddy is fully fit, would you not start him against Arsenal so he is up to Premiership speed before we enter in to several extremely tricky and vital matches. I suspect he will see plenty of action against the Gunners.

[quote user="vos"]If you were a positive thinking manager, and assuming Ruddy is fully fit, would you not start him against Arsenal so he is up to Premiership speed before we enter in to several extremely tricky and vital matches. I suspect he will see plenty of action against the Gunners.[/quote]Possibly too early to get him back, I don''t know I am not a physio, but would seem like a good opportunity to get him back in the firing line.  I am sure he would have secured us a point at Wigan had he (or Bunn) been able to play. Will he have a part to play this season still? I hope so.

If he recovers from tonight I would be tempted to get him in on Saturday.

If he''s fit enough to be on the bench, he''d be fit enough to start. So if he''s anywhere near the squad for Saturday then he should play

The thing is, before Ruddy got injured at Everton, we had kept 5 clean sheets in 16 games, we have had 22 games (In all comps) since and also kept 5 CS''s. Yes Ruddy is a brilliant keeper and certainly one of the best English keepers out there at the moment, but Bunn hasn''t really done too much wrong, the odd mistake here and there, but remember Ruddy''s first few games at NCFC? He made some calamitous errors! For me, the goalkeeping department, no matter who has played has been a decent position this year, it''s the other end of the pitch where the problem lies..

Oh I totally agree Ryan, in ways I don''t think Bunn has had all the praise he deserves. He''s pulled off some good stops, kept some good clean sheets and has really come into his own. I fully expect him and Ruddy to be our keepers next year, and push each other to the limit.

The problem now is, if Bunn''s injury is a tear, and we''re looking at a couple of months back, I''d really prefer Ruddy to Camp. Camp has looked shakey at best, and his kicking is really poor.

But you''re definitely right, I''m just worried there''ll be too much expectation on RVW

Ruddy has been a loss, and no question. Even he, however, could have done little about Swansea''s two goals, both blasted in from short range. The failure was because the two strikers were not picked up, and that was partly due to rather slow central defenders.

I must admit that every time there is a "ping-pong" inside our penalty area, I fear the worst. We are good at dealing with crosses, we are good at repelling with the "two lines of four", but when once the opponents move quickly into the area, or round the backs, and make quick accurate passes, we are struggling. Perhaps this is true of many defences, but I think that we are also slower. In fact, the best player for quick movement and blocking/interception is probably Ryan Bennett.

I think that that Ruddy would have made a difference and the largest difference could have been in reassurance and judgement. He is good aty shouting at them from his perspective. His contribution is in instilling confidence, and that partly from his record in saving shots on goal.

Let''s hope that he is back soon. Our future may depend on this!