Sign in to follow this  
PurpleCanary

THE RUN-IN

Wigan''s loss to Swansea means that if Villa lose to Chelsea and we beat WBA we are safe. But it opens up another possible escape  route - if Wigan lose at Arsenal three days after the Cup Final and we get a point against WBA we are safe.

Purple, let''s not let the season fizzle out without also exploring the "blockbuster movie" type of finish. Aston Villa loses to Chelsea, Norwich loses to WBA, Wigan wins at Arsenal while Newcastle, Sunderland and Southampton all get to 40 points or more. Paul Lambert then gifts Wigan the points to send Norwich to their doom ( or so he thinks ) and we are triumphant against Manchester City. Aston Villa are relegated on goal difference. Well, at least that''s the way they do it in the movies. [:D]

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

Purple, let''s not let the season fizzle out without also exploring the "blockbuster movie" type of finish. Aston Villa loses to Chelsea, Norwich loses to WBA, Wigan wins at Arsenal while Newcastle, Sunderland and Southampton all get to 40 points or more. Paul Lambert then gifts Wigan the points to send Norwich to their doom ( or so he thinks ) and we are triumphant against Manchester City. Aston Villa are relegated on goal difference. Well, at least that''s the way they do it in the movies. [:D]

[/quote]Yankee, in the movies I watch everyone is discussing the pointlessness[*-)] of existence and embarking on doomed love affairs.[U] They act as a perfect primer for the angst of being an NCFC supporter...

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

Yankee, in the movies I watch everyone is discussing the pointlessness[*-)] of existence and embarking on doomed love affairs.[U] They act as a perfect primer for the angst of being an NCFC supporter...[/quote]

Purple, I find it''s reassuring, when watching those types of movies, to realize that the actors are doing exactly that off the set as well. At least that''s what I do, resulting in a feeling of comparative bliss when watching Norwich City, regardless of the result. 

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]Yankee, in the movies I watch everyone is discussing the pointlessness[*-)] of existence and embarking on doomed love affairs.[U] They act as a perfect primer for the angst of being an NCFC supporter...[/quote]

Purple, I find it''s reassuring, when watching those types of movies, to realize that the actors are doing exactly that off the set as well. At least that''s what I do, resulting in a feeling of comparative bliss when watching Norwich City, regardless of the result. 

[/quote]

"...comparitive bliss..." Touché![;)]

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]Yankee, in the movies I watch everyone is discussing the pointlessness[*-)] of existence and embarking on doomed love affairs.[U] They act as a perfect primer for the angst of being an NCFC supporter...[/quote]

[/quote]Yankee, talking of films, this message-board has been rather like the end of The Day The Earth Caught Fire. No-one knows whether the last-ditch attempt to save the planet from extinction has succeeded or failed, so the featured newspaper produces two alternative front pages ready to be printed:WORLD DOOMEDWORLD SAVED

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Wigan''s loss to Swansea means that if Villa lose to Chelsea and we beat WBA we are safe. But it opens up another possible escape  route - if Wigan lose at Arsenal three days after the Cup Final and we get a point against WBA we are safe.[/quote]

In the cold light of day.Stoke on 41 points are effectively safe. Wigan could draw level on points but Stoke''s goal difference is 13 goals better and that gap is unlikely to be eliminated.We are safe if we get at least a point at home to WBA and Wigan then lose at Arsenal on Tuesday.We are also safe if Villa lose at home to Chelsea on Saturday and we beat WBA.However if Villa get a point against Chelsea, taking them to 41, then even a win against WBA does not make us safe before Wigan play. Ourselves, Villa and Wigan could still all end up on 41, as could Newcastle, Sunderland, Sourthanpton, Fulham and Stoke. It would then come down to goal difference and in that case probably the only team we might finish ahead of would be Newcastle. Our GD - at -23 - is one better than theirs.