Sign in to follow this  
PurpleCanary

THE RUN-IN

quote user Joanna Grey "Vanwink - How can you tell all that from MOTD? And if Pulis is going to turn it around with his "options" why has he not used them already?"

Agreed, what are these options that Stoke supposidly have? They play with a rigid formation and seem to have even less options in attack than us. They have always been reliant on their tight defence but even that currently isn''t working for them. Stoke look in more trouble than us.

Precisely. This Vanwink chap''s glass is not so much half empty as possessing of an all consuming black hole. However, just as the likes of City 1st disappear when they don''t have the scope to bandy around their patronising ''get off your knees'' put downs, so will the in yer face doom and gloom merchants once we (hopefully) get another 4 points under our belts.

Josh, I see Jerome, Jones, Walters Crouch and Mr Owen, all options for Pullis, now compare with our options, Kamara, fat Holt, unplayed Jacko, Bechhio who hasn''t got a Prem goal to his name, where would your money be. Added to this Stoke have been in this position before under Pullis and they won the last game of the season to stay up,something we will never do!

Vanwink, they may have those strikers but they have no idea how to play decent passing football to feed them properly, only hoofball. Us, on the other hand (as demonstrated vs Swansea) can actually play some decent attacking football. I''ll take our brand over Stoke''s any day.

DpIt, please do not compare me with City 1st, I state my opinion and that is it. His posts were constantly being rude and insulting, I am only rude to people if they are rude to me, which does happen sometimes!

Fair enough Josh, we can play some decent passing football, but we don''t!

[quote user="Vanwink"]Josh, I see Jerome, Jones, Walters Crouch and Mr Owen, all options for Pullis, now compare with our options, Kamara, fat Holt, unplayed Jacko, Bechhio who hasn''t got a Prem goal to his name, where would your money be. Added to this Stoke have been in this position before under Pullis and they won the last game of the season to stay up,something we will never do![/quote]Somebody who bigs up an ex scummer whilst at the same time belittling our own players should tell us something.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Vanwink"]Josh, I see Jerome, Jones, Walters Crouch and Mr Owen, all options for Pullis, now compare with our options, Kamara, fat Holt, unplayed Jacko, Bechhio who hasn''t got a Prem goal to his name, where would your money be. Added to this Stoke have been in this position before under Pullis and they won the last game of the season to stay up,something we will never do![/quote]Somebody who bigs up an ex scummer whilst at the same time belittling our own players should tell us something.[/quote]

Only if you were a narrow minded bigot

[quote user="Josh"]We did vs Swansea, pretty much the entire 2nd half, I was there![/quote]

I was there too and we did have a good period in the second half, the best I have seen for sometime which was encouraging, but then during that period instead of going on to win the game we conceded a poor goal!

Also  Van Wink, as you see Jones etc as an extra option, would you care to tell me how many goals he has scored this year?

Same for Owen and Jerome in fact

Chick just dipped into Villa Talk for an enlightening few minutes.

Lambert has been released from the stocks and is to be given the freedom of the City of Birmingham.

The name Norwich turns up a lot in a thread entitled "Relegation." How roles have suddenly reversed.

They anticipate an easy three points when they visit Carrow Road and cite our current form.

Overall though Stoke are their most popular tip for the trap-door exit.

Bah! Humbug! They are, however very premature in my view. Have they hopefully peaked too soon? Has Hughton hopefully paced our run-in to perfection?

Exciting stuff.

Jones has got 3 from 9 starts, Jerome has 3 from 5 starts, Owen hasn''t started any games but I think has 1 goal.

Pullis has failed to use some of these players to his detrement, but they are potentially very good options should he be pushed into a corner and have to chage things.

Do we have similar options?

Vanwink, you''re bending the stats to suit your argument. Don''t forget Jones has 15 sub appearances, and Jerome also has 15 sub appearances. 2 of Jones'' 3 goals have come from starts, whereas all 3 of Jerome''s goals have come from the bench.

So technically, Jones has 2 goals from 9 starts, and 1 goals from 15 sub appearances

and Jerome has 0 goals from 5 starts, and 3 goals from 15 sub appearances

Not such an impressive return from these strikers really.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Vanwink"]Josh, I see Jerome, Jones, Walters Crouch and Mr Owen, all options for Pullis, now compare with our options, Kamara, fat Holt, unplayed Jacko, Bechhio who hasn''t got a Prem goal to his name, where would your money be. Added to this Stoke have been in this position before under Pullis and they won the last game of the season to stay up,something we will never do![/quote]Somebody who bigs up an ex scummer whilst at the same time belittling our own players should tell us something.[/quote]You mean Jerome, who''s scored 3 goals this season, and 1 goal from 21 games last season.And you mean Jones, who''s scored 3 goals this season, and scored 4 goals from 23 games last season. And Pulis is playing him in front of both Owen and Crouch.None of those strikers have more than 6 league goals this year. Only Crouch got to double figures last year. While you could argue none of our strikers are doing fantastic either, your argument that they have way more strike power than us appears invalid when you look at the statistics.

So lets put it another way, would you prefer those three to Holt, Jacko and Bechhio?

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Vanwink"]Josh, I see Jerome, Jones, Walters Crouch and Mr Owen, all options for Pullis, now compare with our options, Kamara, fat Holt, unplayed Jacko, Bechhio who hasn''t got a Prem goal to his name, where would your money be. Added to this Stoke have been in this position before under Pullis and they won the last game of the season to stay up,something we will never do![/quote]Somebody who bigs up an ex scummer whilst at the same time belittling our own players should tell us something.[/quote]You mean Jerome, who''s scored 3 goals this season, and 1 goal from 21 games last season.And you mean Jones, who''s scored 3 goals this season, and scored 4 goals from 23 games last season. And Pulis is playing him in front of both Owen and Crouch.None of those strikers have more than 6 league goals this year. Only Crouch got to double figures last year. While you could argue none of our strikers are doing fantastic either, your argument that they have way more strike power than us appears invalid when you look at the statistics.[/quote]Also, despite all their extra strike-power, Stoke have actually managed to score 2 less goals in the league than Norwich City this season......

I am not trying to bend anything, what I said was Pullis has options to change things.

quote Vanwink "So lets put it another way, would you prefer those three to Holt, Jacko and Bechhio?"

Kamara doesn''t count then? I''d choose Kamara, Holt and Becchio over them 3 yeh, they all offer something a bit different.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"]Also, despite all their extra strike-power, Stoke have actually managed to score 2 less goals in the league than Norwich City this season......[/quote]Doh! Don''t let facts get in the way of Winkie''s determination to prove Stoke are better than us. [;)]

[quote user="Vanwink"]I am not trying to bend anything, what I said was Pullis has options to change things.[/quote]You could argue he has more options. However with 1 point out of their last possible 18, Pulis either isn''t using those options well enough, or his cattle aren''t as good as they look on paper.Or perhaps a combination of both....

quote user Vanwink "I am not trying to bend anything, what I said was Pullis has options to change things.

So one goal shy hoofball striker for another goal shy hoofball striker?

I would actually agree with you on Owen, but Stoke don''t know how to play him properly. They only know how to play one way; hoofball. If they actually had a plan B, where they were could play a passing game and play Owen off the shoulder then I might actually be a bit concerned. But I''m not.

Lappin I am not trying to prove they are better than us, but I do think on the run in they have more options to change things, if Pullis refuses to do that then all the better for us, but I think he''s a bit more astute than that!

[quote user="Vanwink"]Lappin I am not trying to prove they are better than us, but I do think on the run in they have more options to change things, if Pullis refuses to do that then all the better for us, but I think he''s a bit more astute than that![/quote]If he is that astute then why do you think he hasn''t made those changes before? Can''t have it both ways.

Personally I don;t think there is much in it in terms of the quality of the strikers unless Crouch was to regain his past form. Where, however, Stoke have a problem is that they are equally a cr*p as us away from home but their home games (upon which they usually rely on for their points) remaining are us, Man United and Spurs. If, therefore, they don;t beat us they are in real trouble.

I would say that we, with our strikers, should get more points out of Reading, Villa and WBA at home than they, with their strikers, will get from their 3 home games.

In reality we need a win and a draw to stay up, the others would need three wins to over take us and that just is not going to happen.

We will win one of the last three home games, my money is on Reading as they will be on their holidays and players agents will be working overtime trying to get them a move away in the summer.

As for the stiking options of both Norwich and Stoke, you can keep all 6 mentioned, Kamara is not really proven yet and is he a striker or winger? I would not really want any of the 6 mentioned in Jackson, Holt, Becchio, Jerome, Jones or Crouch if I had the choice for next year. More than likely we will have Becchio but I would put money on Jackson and Holt departing in the summer.

The run is going to be tough but we have a 4 point advantage and that means we only need 4 points.

Good question Lappin and I have no idea what the answer is, we will just have to wait and see.

I disagree that the other teams cannot win three of their last 6 or 7 games and to rely on 4 points being enough would be dangerous. We need at least 2 wins to be able to relax because if Stoke, Wigan and Sunderland are within striking distance on the last day they will probably all have better goal differences than us and at least two of them may be playing sides with nothing to play for, possibly all 3 of them. So are we but can you see us getting anything at Man City even if they have nothing to play for?