Sign in to follow this  
RvWs 4 year contract

Hughton's "negative tactics"

It''s not the lone striker its how deep we play which is fine away from home and if you have pace to counter but at home and with little pace teams can pin us back then you struggle to pass it out so resort to hitting long to a lone striker who even if he holds it up there isn''t anyone to carry it on. So you could blame "negative tactics".

Its all if''s and but''s.Would he still have played 2 extremely defensive midfielders who create nothing? Would he have sacrificed Wes,one of the players that tries to make things happen? Why didnt he play Jacko ( i dont rate him) or Kamara with him? If Kamara is on the bench, he is fit enough. Adrenaline and base fitness would have got him through it. What if Becchio got injured in the first minute? Would he hav eplayed Jacko as the lone man or brought Kamara (A more suitable option) on?

[quote user="Wiz"]Tactilly, Hughton''s a damn coward imo.[/quote]I wouldn''t say coward but the emphasis is rather on too conservative.  And frustrating.  How many arm-chair managers would make changes at 60 min like we do on FM or CM? seems obvious, so why doesn''t CH do it?

[quote user="superzach"][quote user="Wiz"]Tactilly, Hughton''s a damn coward imo.[/quote]I wouldn''t say coward but the emphasis is rather on too conservative.  And frustrating.  How many arm-chair managers would make changes at 60 min like we do on FM or CM? seems obvious, so why doesn''t CH do it?[/quote]Because most people don''t know shit, and he is actually employed as a football manager?

Some of the blame must rest with the players.

I''m sure Hughton doesn''t instruct the midfield to only pass sidewards, it wasn''t until Jackson and then Kamara came on that we actually looked like we knew which direction the goal was.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="superzach"][quote user="Wiz"]Tactilly, Hughton''s a damn coward imo.[/quote]I wouldn''t say coward but the emphasis is rather on too conservative.  And frustrating.  How many arm-chair managers would make changes at 60 min like we do on FM or CM? seems obvious, so why doesn''t CH do it?[/quote]Because most people don''t know shit, and he is actually employed as a football manager?[/quote]

just because Holt wasnt fit, he didnt play a second striker!! That is bizarre really, he could have started Jackson surely?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="superzach"][quote user="Wiz"]Tactilly, Hughton''s a damn coward imo.[/quote]I wouldn''t say coward but the emphasis is rather on too conservative.  And frustrating.  How many arm-chair managers would make changes at 60 min like we do on FM or CM? seems obvious, so why doesn''t CH do it?[/quote]Because most people don''t know shit, and he is actually employed as a football manager?[/quote]exactly. no matter how much we are entitled to our opinions.

[quote user="baldyboy"]just because Holt wasnt fit, he didnt play a second striker!! That is bizarre really, he could have started Jackson surely?[/quote]and there was me thinking Calderwood said we had more options now than ever......

[quote user="baldyboy"]just because Holt wasnt fit, he didnt play a second striker!! That is bizarre really, he could have started Jackson surely?[/quote]Yeah, of course.Coach: "Holty''s not fit, Boss."Hughton: "Okay.  Well, get me someone half his size and half his ability, and I''ll get him to play the same role."Coach: "Sorry?"Hughton: "Just f**king do it, you f**k, or I''ll break your f**king face."Coach: "Jacko?  Get over here.  I want you to play the Holt role alongside Becchio.  Win it in the air, hold it up, use your strength and bring the midfield into the game."Jacko: "But I''m three foot six, and crap."Coach: "Ah, get some stilts or something.  Just do it, okay?  Then when you deliver nothing all match, Pink Un posters will slate the boss for playing you even though nobody with half a brain thinks you are a premiership centre forward."Jacko: "Um, yeah, thanks. Motivated."

put whatever spin on it you want Mister Chops, its a poor excuse as Hughton is the one to blame for a lack of striking options isn''t he?

[quote user="baldyboy"]put whatever spin on it you want Mister Chops, its a poor excuse as Hughton is the one to blame for a lack of striking options isn''t he?[/quote]Yes, he deliberately injured Grant Holt''s back.

I think Mr C''s point may perhaps be that Hughton was planning to start off with two particular strikers, i.e. Holt & Becchio, rather than any old two strikers who happened to be around.

Minf you, if Kei can build on today''s importance, I reckon we could see a lot more of the two striker option.

Which is nice.

[quote user="ron obvious"]I think Mr C''s point may perhaps be that Hughton was planning to start off with two particular strikers, i.e. Holt & Becchio, rather than any old two strikers who happened to be around. [/quote]Yes.Our best team is this....But one of our best players is missing...So my next best team is this... with one striker up front.Jackson, Martin, Vaughan are not good enough and Kamara is by all accounts not match fit enough.Imagine the posts on here if we''d played 4-4-2 with Jackson up front, weakened the midfield to accomodate him, and lost 1-0!

Last week Rednapp signed Samba who had not played or trained for several weeks (even Samba said he was only 40% fit) and included him in the team Hughton signed Kamara who has trained for a couple of days and didn''t include him in our team. How long did Hughton give him five minutes and we looked better from the moment he came on. Hughton then said in his post match interview that he didn''t give him longer in case he got injured well Mr Hughton perhaps he might get injured in training so be careful. Perhaps I can see why Newcastle got rid off. 

[quote user="ridgeman"]Last week Rednapp signed Samba who had not played or trained for several weeks (even Samba said he was only 40% fit) and included him in the team Hughton signed Kamara who has trained for a couple of days and didn''t include him in our team. How long did Hughton give him five minutes and we looked better from the moment he came on. Hughton then said in his post match interview that he didn''t give him longer in case he got injured well Mr Hughton perhaps he might get injured in training so be careful. Perhaps I can see why Newcastle got rid off. [/quote]

And perhaps we see why youre not a manager of a premier league team.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]Playing one striker is not necessarily have to be negative.  But I do get the impression Hughton goes into games happy if he can get a point.[/quote]I do agree with this. How much of it is because he used to be a defender?

I still don''t think he''s THAT defensive. He''s made us more rounded. Lambert was full on attack attack attack just make sure you score more than the opposition.

Hughton is trying to make us an all round team. One which attacks as well as defends.

He''s tightened up the defence extremely well, but the goals aren''t coming.

Playing 1 up front isnt particularly negative, as you still have Wes in the attacking midfield position. A lot of premier league teams play this way, and I''m sure nobody calls them negative. Worth noting we had more chances (15, 4 on target) than Fulham (7, 5 on target) today. if we were that defensive, would this have happened?

Slightly contradicting myself, but it did bother me a lot today when the holding mids would often just pass straight back to turner who in turn would would play it back to Bunn, rather than looking for a forward pass.

For me, if we had a fully fit squad, I''d be looking to 4 in midfield and a front two of Holt + Kamara. Kamara looked like making an instant impact today, and if a goal was going to come in those last few minutes it''d be through him.

Hughton said he intended on the Holt/Becchio partnership today, and I imagine if they''d planned for that in training, they may not have had time (Becchio has only been here 9 days) to work on an alternate partnering. Similarly we may have seen KK earlier if he had had more time to recover from jet lag etc.

We have a number of weaknesses in quality in our team and attacking groups.

Hughton admitted after the Liverpool games (home) that things had to change and it has. We have gone to basics and it has brought us the points and results to where we are.

I look forward to better calibre of player joining so we can be a threat. I do think there are a few players who have two seasons under their belt have not progressed as you would hope. But with qpr and Fulham away I would have liked to have picked up something, but as each game goes where we do not get that next win it is a worry. We need our players to take their chances and prove their worth.

Becchio was unfortunate with his strike early in the game from garrido''s cross. Still wish eb had attacked snoddy''s first cross.

[quote user="ridgeman"]Last week Rednapp signed Samba who had not played or trained for several weeks (even Samba said he was only 40% fit) and included him in the team  [/quote]And today this lack of fitness cost QPR dearly.

Hughton'' negative tactics aren''t necessarily to do with playing one up front. It is the lack of creativity and freedom from midfield. You can play as many as you like upfront but if they''re not getting the service then they''re not going to score.

A large part of the problem lies in midfield for me. Tettey and Johnson whilst providing cover for the back 4 provide nothing going forward. You simply do not see either of them running beyond the striker(s) to create another option, thereby making it incredibly easy to defend against us.

Hoolahan is easily crowded out when there is no other option to play through the centre of the park, and there was simply no point crossing the ball into the box when Tettey and Johnson aren''t in it leaving Hoolahan (at 5ft 7ish) and Becchio to win it in the air against the giant Hangelaand and Senderros.

I am beginning to lose faith with Hughton because he has had two transfer windows to address these concerns and he hasn''t appeared to do so. If Hughton doesn''t think the current players and reserves are up to it then why hasn''t he done more in the transfer windows?

But all said, I''m giving Hughton until the first few games of next season (If we stay up) and if the dross that was served up today (and Newcastle and most of the season thinking about it) continues then i''ll be questioning his position as manager.

We may be ''just'' Norwich, but that doesn''t mean we shouldn''t want to better ourselves season on season.

I think the issue is that we dont look like we are going to score a goal. Hughton is frustraiting because he does not play with any endeavour to win. He claims to have wanted to start Holt and Becchio but given the situation why didnt he just go with Jackson or even tell Wes hes going to play as a set striker.I think the issue today was Becchio has proven to us that its not the player its the system.We could have shoved Hooper up there with his £10m + price tag and he would have had as equally a frustraiting time as Holty and Becchio. Hell we could have played RVP and he would have had the same effect !Wes and Snoddy put in a real shift but it was clear that they would have to one man it as from an attacking sense we focus to heavily on getting up the wings. It used to be frustating when we would pass back to the defence, but it became apparant that we were trying to change the play of the ball and move the opposition around hoping they would expose a gap, these days it looks like we do it more because we dont have any other options !I feel Hughton really does need to play with 2 up front, this might mean sacrificing a winger to play a 3 man midfield or focing Wes to play on the left. I like both Johnson and Tettey but they are not being used as attacking players. For me Id love to see one of the following.Becchio - HoltWes (or  Snoddy )Tettey (or Johnson )    -   Howson  - Snoddy ( or Pilks )orBecchio - HoltWes - Tettey (or Johnson ) Howson - SnoddyWes is possibly in the form of his career and Snoddy is having a blinder BUT they are being made to do all the work while our striker ( as Becchio showed today ) is just marked out and isolated.I felt a bit bad for Becchio actually today, he really wanted the ball and worked hard but got nothing for it he was somewhat over shadowed by the arrival of Kamara who stole the show... why .... because he was used in a dual striker role !!Just glad no one on CC dared say, "Baachio fur Marrison, woi we do that, Bacchio was crap "