Sign in to follow this  
Tim Dawson

Do we really want to stay up??

Ok im preparing to be shot down here and maybe its my reaction to another 90 minutes miserable football, i too like everyone else on this board was delighted when we were promoted back to the premiership.

But at points last season the constant harping about money and staying in the prem for that reason started to niggle me, but this last few weeks ive seen some of the most dreadful games ive seen in a long time, if playing in this manner is required for staying up or setting out our stall in this manner then im not sure i want to watch it.

After i watch Match of the day each week i always enjoy the championship, exciting, a bit gung ho and not about the money so much, maybe im just a bit down after watching that game today but it felt like we wouldnt score if we were there till midnight.

Tin hat on ready to be shot at ( ping.ping )

Not at all.

I agree with you.

The fans sure aint bennifiting from this dross. If this is how its going to be, the only ones gaining from being in the prem is the board.

The fans ? Umm not a hell of a lot to cheer about is there.

Iam getting sick of the sight og Hughtons tight pulled back face. Its as negative as his style of football.

[quote user="the1englishman"]Not at all. I agree with you. The fans sure aint bennifiting from this dross. If this is how its going to be, the only ones gaining from being in the prem is the board. The fans ? Umm not a hell of a lot to cheer about is there. Iam getting sick of the sight og Hughtons tight pulled back face. Its as negative as his style of football.[/quote]

This.[Y]

When you factor in games like Man utd and Arsenal at home this season then yes we want to stay up. The elation of beating the English elite is the reason we want to be here. After last season we all hoped the club would kick on again but it just hasn''t happened. We''ve failed in the transfer market and now have to hope this set of players can find three wins to keep us up. It certainly is very hard to watch this terrible football and certainly begs the question are we good enough to be in this league?

I often question whether some fans want to be in this league. I''m forever seeing positive posts about the oppositions star players being out injured. Surely the reason of playing in this league is to watch world class footballers? If we can compete with the star players we really shouldn''t be here.

[quote user="Tim Dawson"]Ok im preparing to be shot down here and maybe its my reaction to another 90 minutes miserable football, i too like everyone else on this board was delighted when we were promoted back to the premiership.

But at points last season the constant harping about money and staying in the prem for that reason started to niggle me, but this last few weeks ive seen some of the most dreadful games ive seen in a long time, if playing in this manner is required for staying up or setting out our stall in this manner then im not sure i want to watch it.

After i watch Match of the day each week i always enjoy the championship, exciting, a bit gung ho and not about the money so much, maybe im just a bit down after watching that game today but it felt like we wouldnt score if we were there till midnight.

Tin hat on ready to be shot at ( ping.ping )[/quote]Well, I want to see us competing at the highest level possible and, in doing so, ridding our club of debt and securing its long-term future.  If the cost of doing that is a season of mundane and dull football then I''ll pay that price.I believe this season is a transitional period and next season will be different.  If we are having the same discussion next February then I may agree more with your viewpoint, but I think the summer will see a significant rebuild of the squad and the style of football will change as a result.

MONEY will make a huge difference. Staying up this year means we can spend a lot, lot more money on players. We will get the players that Hughton wants to work in his system. The goals and entertaining football will come.

We do play good football at times, and we do have the players to win games.

Keep the faith.

it might not be pretty but is it something we have to endure to reach PL status for next year? It''s dire, it''s boring and terribly frustrating, but if it secures our place in this league for next year, and the opportunity to buy better players during the summer, than I personally have accepted I will have to endure this sort of tension for the rest of the year.  CH approach is more sound than Lamberts, and has more longevity, but with the limited skills and quality of our players, will be rather dull for a while still.  We are only 11 draws from PL status for 2013-2014.  and it may well be 11 draws....

[quote user="Tim Dawson"]Ok im preparing to be shot down here and maybe its my reaction to another 90 minutes miserable football, i too like everyone else on this board was delighted when we were promoted back to the premiership. But at points last season the constant harping about money and staying in the prem for that reason started to niggle me, but this last few weeks ive seen some of the most dreadful games ive seen in a long time, if playing in this manner is required for staying up or setting out our stall in this manner then im not sure i want to watch it. After i watch Match of the day each week i always enjoy the championship, exciting, a bit gung ho and not about the money so much, maybe im just a bit down after watching that game today but it felt like we wouldnt score if we were there till midnight. Tin hat on ready to be shot at ( ping.ping )[/quote]

Totally agree.

Perhaps Hughton should issue a statement of intent, something like...

If we stay up this season I promise to play 2 up front and try to win (not just avoid defeat). Also I promise to change the system when I see fit and not just play the same way every week in the hope we win occaisionally.

[quote user="First Wazzock"]

[quote user="Tim Dawson"]Ok im preparing to be shot down here and maybe its my reaction to another 90 minutes miserable football, i too like everyone else on this board was delighted when we were promoted back to the premiership. But at points last season the constant harping about money and staying in the prem for that reason started to niggle me, but this last few weeks ive seen some of the most dreadful games ive seen in a long time, if playing in this manner is required for staying up or setting out our stall in this manner then im not sure i want to watch it. After i watch Match of the day each week i always enjoy the championship, exciting, a bit gung ho and not about the money so much, maybe im just a bit down after watching that game today but it felt like we wouldnt score if we were there till midnight. Tin hat on ready to be shot at ( ping.ping )[/quote]

Totally agree.

Perhaps Hughton should issue a statement of intent, something like...

If we stay up this season I promise to play 2 up front and try to win (not just avoid defeat). Also I promise to change the system when I see fit and not just play the same way every week in the hope we win occaisionally.

[/quote]now that *is* wishful thinking

I guess you guys are right, i suppose its only fair to give Hughton chance to build his own side for next year if we stay up and hopefully have a bit more flair.

So i guess i better get ready to endure a few more dour games to achieve our goal

[quote user="Tim Dawson"]I guess you guys are right, i suppose its only fair to give Hughton chance to build his own side for next year if we stay up and hopefully have a bit more flair.

So i guess i better get ready to endure a few more dour games to achieve our goal[/quote]

Exactly right Tim. This is a work in progress. If we are playing the same team and the same football at Christmas then complain to the skies but for now we have to ride the wave.

I''ve got a question.

If we don''t want to be in the PL, what''s the point of being in the Championship?

Surely the aim in the Championship, is to be promoted to the Prem? But we wouldn''t want that. So we would be aiming to finish 7th at best, but since more than 6 teams are aiming for promotion, they''ll want it more and we won''t finish 7th, we''ll lose lots, not necessarily play well. Everyone will cry.

As predicted a 4-5-1 formation yields a hard fought 0-0. Another nail in our PL coffin.

I still think we''ll reflect on the Newcastle game where our lack of belief and negativity cost us a victory in that match - and set the scene for what has followed - as a pivotal moment in our season. That coupled with the egregious management error of failing to strengthen our strikers in January.

Such a pity to watch Lambert''s golden legacy slowly being squandered.

Yes, I really want to stay up. As a player I want to play at the highest standard I can and as a fan/spectator I want my team to do the very best they can.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]As predicted a 4-5-1 formation yields a hard fought 0-0. Another nail in our PL coffin.

I still think we''ll reflect on the Newcastle game where our lack of belief and negativity cost us a victory in that match - and set the scene for what has followed - as a pivotal moment in our season. That coupled with the egregious management error of failing to strengthen our strikers in January.

Such a pity to watch Lambert''s golden legacy slowly being squandered.[/quote]There is no Premier League coffin and certainly didn''t hammer any nails in one today.You know, I try to be courteous to everyone on this Forum but you really need to stick that bagpipe rectumwards.

I accept mine is a minority view Ricardo but - in my opinion - both the lack of urgency/belief in the need to beat teams like Newcastle/Fulham coupled with our lack of options up front will cost us dearly, and possibly our PL status. I sincerely home I''m wrong about this but I simply can''t see us scoring a sufficient numbers of goals to stay up.

That''s what this board is for - debate. Universal optimism - realism - pessism would make for a very sterile discussion.

Gingerpele and Ricardo i think yr missing the point, i dont want to see us decline but the flair football ive seen over the years, Gp yr too young but Ricardo doesnt need me to regale all the greats we have witnessed over the years.

Very few of the current squad seem to be able to do anything special, fantastic athletes yes but if i wanted to watch athletics id go to a race meeting.

Just to give me own views on the style of football we''re playing...

Yeah, it''s obviously not quite as exciting as it was under Lambert (and it probably never will be) but that''s not to say we don''t play decent football under Hughton because we have played some good stuff and at times we did it again today.

But I think you''ve got to give Hughton a bit of time because he''s obviously building us from the back. He has strengthened our defence considerably and credit has to go to him for the quality of players he''s brought in there to improve us.  However, obviously going forward we do have to look to turn a few of these draws into wins and that''s something that needs to start happening next season.

Gordon Bennett, what a load of drivel on this post! Welcome to the real world of following an everyday football club guys! It''s not always a bed of roses!

I''m sure about 75 other professional teams would swap places with us in an instant, so step back, smell the coffee and realise what we have here!

Stay in the PL is our ONLY objective this season. It may not be pretty but that''s football.

Trouble is, there are too many Jonny come latelys round here and believe attack after attack is the norm. Unfortunately in the PL, the opposition also have a right to participate in the match and are pretty damned handy at this level, which makes it no easy feat for our boys.

For those who think times are bad for NCFC right, really aren''t living in the real world and need to check back to the late 90s and early 00''s for what really passes as dour.

We are 14th in the PL and 8 points clear of relegation for gawd sake, with our debt about to finally be paid off in May, a noose which has been round our neck for 17 years.

As for Hughton failing in the transfer market,that''s just ludicrous. Name me one signing who has made us weaker than the player that signing replaced?!

Hughton hasn''t finished moulding the squad he wants yet. Remain in the PL and I''m confident he will get the squad balanced properly come the start of next season.

Otbc

I don''t have the memory of many on this board having only started going regularly in 73/74 but I would agree that the late 90s represented the nadir in terms of entertainment value.

I''ve not commented on the entertainment value or otherwise of our current football but of the tactics we''re employing and if those tactics will secure PL football next season. I''m simply not convinced.

Obviously we want to stay up this year. The reason being is to test ourselves against the best teams and players we possibly can.

Staying up also means we have more hope for next season, we hope we can improve, we hope we get better players, we hope we might reach a cup final (highly unlikely given our record I know) but it is the hope that get''s me out of bed on a Saturday to support our team, football and indeed life would be pretty pointless without hope...

AJ wrote:

MONEY will make a huge difference. Staying up this year means we can spend a lot, lot more money on players. We will get the players that Hughton wants to work in his system. The goals and entertaining football will come.

We do play good football at times, and we do have the players to win games.

When do you think the goals and entertaining football will come AJ. in consideration of 0 wins in 9 matches?

What players do you think we have to win games in consideration of 4 goals scored in the last nine matches, a centre forward who has indeed only scored 4 all season, and the complete and utter negative tactics of the manager and his coaching staff who also lack the ability to seem to want to change team formation and tactics during a game in an effort to win 3 points?

Over to you, I will be interested to hear your justification to the points made.

So we are playing a few dour games to stay up this season.  So what.Hughton has already shown himself to be astute in the transfer market.  If Kei Kamara''s 10 minute cameo is anything to go by Hoot may have struck gold again.  And Becchio is certainly a better option than an out of sorts Morison.

lol in many ways I miss League 1 when we were seen as the "big boys" of the Division

I''m the first to admit we''re too negative and the football at present isn''t very entertaining but end of the day Hughtins remitt is to keep us in the top flight and we''re ell on our way to doing that!

We were spoiled completely by the previous 3 seasons and this season was always going to be about consolidating our place in the top flight. I think its likely if the previous manager would have stayed this season its very likely we''d be in a worse position than we are now and his leaving us had something to do with the fact he felt he couldn''t take us any further!

Would I rather watch negative football and stay up rather than a gung ho approach and get relegated?

Of course I would, the Premierships the only League to be in and the reason the Championship can be exciting is cause all the teams are going all out to get promoted!

I think that given the lack of creativity in the central midfield and the single striker policy, we shall remain a low scoring and generally low conceding team.

CH seems to have decided that safety is best achieved by reducing risk, although he is clearly disappointed by our failure to take chances. The alternative, probably more risky because in the latter part of last season teams had sussed us and we didn''t do so weel at the end, is the Lambert way.

I hope that CH is correct, and I believe that he is right. The lack of skills in the team because we have bought cheaply out of necessity goes a long way towards explaining our predicament. There are some good players in the squad, but we lack one or two who through personal skill can wina game on their own. I hope that we shall be able to sign at least one such before too long.

everyone wants to be in the premier league i just dont wanna be watching this boring crap every week that HOOOOOTON decides to play, Sorry to say it but PL had norwich playing exciting football, we actually SCORED goals, i want a manager that will inspire the squad to go forward and score not bowl out continuous bore 0-0 draws ....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

We are riding a crest of a wave that has brought us into a league full of multi millionaire owners, we have joined the league with the largest worldwide appeal, the best English players,some of the best European players, some of the worlds best players.

We have brought on players from the lower leagues to this height and proved what team spirit, desire and youth can do.

I want norwich city in the premier league so I can support my club for years to come, I want us to steadily build up wealth so we can build a great youth structure. I want to watch exciting football but also know in this league you need the players to do that.

I want us to play teams like Fulham, stoke, Sunderland believing we can win. Let Man U, Chelsea play at the top and bring this league the big money it does from sky. We can enjoy putting our young up and coming players up against them and test ourselves each week.

Build a fan base worldwide, have opportunities for our family club to be recognised across the world.

If we were to drop a league, we know that we have owners that have limited private funds and no disrespect but with age against them uncertainty over new owners. I would be worried if we were out of this division now that we are here.

We have to use our opportunity and I think we have some excitement, the youth set up has been approved at the highest level. We have us marketing groups using our position in the prem to get more income into our club. We have a chief exec who is running our club well with a manager who has brought in some very good players that will only improve with some great players come in.

I do not want times of old with signings of Jason Jarrett, brellier... Youth players of the calibre of Ryan Jarvis etc who flattered to deceive. I do not want us to take a backward step as they usually lead to more backward steps and with the uncertainty of our owners long term commitments. Staying in the prem is paramount.