Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

hughton

For those who didn''t hear it, Hughton said that he was going to start with 2 up front until Holts injury (too many boxes lifted whilst moving ?)

Easy for him to say post match! He has had ample opportunity to do it all season, but no, one up top it has always been, and will undoubtedly remain so.

He has had other strikers at his disposal, Jackson, Morison, Vaughan (used in pre season and who scored regularly) and Martin.

Did he utilise any of these to play up top with Holt in pre or early season or in the last nine games - NO!

So why say that is what he intended today! He has had many an opportunity to play more than one striker, and to change tactics during a game - does he - NO.

Just so bloody negative week in, week out!

If that was the plan then why not go 2 up top with Jackson or kamara with becchio? Dont understand why the injury to holt has dictated his formation when other alternatives are available. 3 points were there for the brave, he chose caution again.

Because he doesn''t think Jacko is good enough to start and super K would have been too big a gamble. I don''t necessarily agree with his opinion about Jacko but it explains his decision.

Er city 2nd, where are those strikers you mention? Two have been away for the season. One has been sold because he never really got on ant other sits on the bench because he ain''t very good.

He can''t play two up front with only one good striker.

[quote user="City 2nd"]He has had other strikers at his disposal, Jackson, Morison, Vaughan (used in pre season and who scored regularly) and Martin. Did he utilise any of these to play up top with Holt in pre or early season or in the last nine games - NO! So why say that is what he intended today! He has had many an opportunity to play more than one striker, and to change tactics during a game - does he - NO. Just so bloody negative week in, week out![/quote]

;

Bloody exactly.[Y]

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]So just which of Jackson, Morrison, Martin or Vaughan do you think are Premiership strikers?[/quote]Despite the hopes I had for James, I do hope this is rhetorical...

How often did he play Kane when he was fit? Just for the record, Morison was not my cup of tea but he scored goals last season unlike Kane who Hughton brought in.

I think Hughton is too cautious and it''s easy to say what he was going to do after the game, but the fact he brought kamara on for just 3 minutes suggests more of his usual way of playing.

Yellow Wall wrote the following post at 10/02/2013 12:20 AM:

So just which of Jackson, Morrison, Martin or Vaughan do you think are Premiership strikers?

I don''t, my point is that from the very start of the season CH knew, as did EVERY city supporter who witnessed the pre-season games, and the early league games, that we were critically short of quality striking options. However, HE did have an option to play with more than one up top as he has had ALL season, but he choose not to and CONTINUES to do so. If he was going to play Holt and Becchio today, why not start with Becchio and Jackson? And when he does decide to go two up top, it''s normally done with minutes to go! There is no intent from our manager to go out and win a game of football, we have full backs who cannot get forward due to our style of play, and we have two defensive central midfielders who play deeper and deeper as a match develops to maintain Hughtons 10 behind the ball, which leaves the lone striker completely isolated. Watching MOTD last night, I appreciate it''s highlights, but there was no game as boring as our, goals were scored in every other game, and the fact we have scored FOUR in the last nine certainly justifies city for ever being last to appear! Stats do not lie, we are a very very poor side. We are not in a safe position yet, and we do not look like we can achieve that at this moment in time, and we have the likes of Southampton and reading improving and Newcastle and Sunderland with far more quality than we have. We have to play the latter three as well as Wigan, and we have struggled to beat the alleged poorer teams (QPR, WH, Villa, Fulham and others at home, with all of us having the expectation we would!

Lose two of the above, and lose to Man Utd, City and Everton, it certainly won''t be looking as rosy as some of you think!

Hughton has options, just as he knew pre season and January transfer window that we required quality up front? He choose what he has now got, and it made no difference today to what we have witnessed in our last nine games. I hope it does for his, and our sakes!

City 2nd - Yellow Wall wrote the following post at 10/02/2013 12:20 AM:

So just which of Jackson, Morrison, Martin or Vaughan do you think are Premiership strikers?

I don''t, my point is that from the very start of the season CH knew, as did EVERY city supporter who witnessed the pre-season games, and the early league games, that we were critically short of quality striking options. However, HE did have an option to play with more than one up top as he has had ALL season, but he choose not to and CONTINUES to do so. If he was going to play Holt and Becchio today, why not start with Becchio and Jackson? And when he does decide to go two up top, it''s normally done with minutes to go! There is no intent from our manager to go out and win a game of football, we have full backs who cannot get forward due to our style of play, and we have two defensive central midfielders who play deeper and deeper as a match develops to maintain Hughtons 10 behind the ball, which leaves the lone striker completely isolated. Watching MOTD last night, I appreciate it''s highlights, but there was no game as boring as our, goals were scored in every other game, and the fact we have scored FOUR in the last nine certainly justifies city for ever being last to appear! Stats do not lie, we are a very very poor side. We are not in a safe position yet, and we do not look like we can achieve that at this moment in time, and we have the likes of Southampton and reading improving and Newcastle and Sunderland with far more quality than we have. We have to play the latter three as well as Wigan, and we have struggled to beat the alleged poorer teams (QPR, WH, Villa, Fulham and others at home, with all of us having the expectation we would!

Lose two of the above, and lose to Man Utd, City and Everton, it certainly won''t be looking as rosy as some of you think!

Hughton has options, just as he knew pre season and January transfer window that we required quality up front? He choose what he has now got, and it made no difference today to what we have witnessed in our last nine games. I hope it does for his, and our sakes!

Yes we all knew we were short of striking options but we should also have known that we needed quality defenders. Pre-season Chris Hughton signed a goalkeeper (as cover) an entire back four and a defensive midfielder. None of those signings had been a let down, in fact they are the better players we have. He also tried to get a striker in but failed (whoever he may have been).

Simply put - you advocate starting yesterday with Becchio and Jackson up front, who on earth would you have left out to start Jackson and you saw his performance yesterday (I hope), that would have been a bad mistake. Simeon seems a very nice chap but, I''m afraid, he is a long way away from being a Premiership striker. He needs to progress his career at a lower club.

With the recent signings Hughton now has more options, let''s wait and see who he uses them.

You also state that he knew we required quality up front but choose what he has now got. Did I miss something or did the club not put in a record bid for a forward that was turned down? He knows we need more quality up front but it was not for the want of trying that we have not got the ''quality'' ''expensive'' player so many want.

This is still work in progress. Give the man time. He has improved our defence beyond recognition. If we are still in the Premiership next season (and I think we will be) and we have not improved our attackers and our approach to games then I will agree with you.

But the first thing is to maintain our status so that we are in a position to improve the squad.

YW wrote

Yes we all knew we were short of striking options but we should also have known that we needed quality defenders. Pre-season Chris Hughton signed a goalkeeper (as cover) an entire back four and a defensive midfielder. None of those signings had been a let down, in fact they are the better players we have. He also tried to get a striker in but failed (whoever he may have been).

Simply put - you advocate starting yesterday with Becchio and Jackson up front, who on earth would you have left out to start Jackson and you saw his performance yesterday (I hope), that would have been a bad mistake. Simeon seems a very nice chap but, I''m afraid, he is a long way away from being a Premiership striker. He needs to progress his career at a lower club.

With the recent signings Hughton now has more options, let''s wait and see who he uses them.

You also state that he knew we required quality up front but choose what he has now got. Did I miss something or did the club not put in a record bid for a forward that was turned down? He knows we need more quality up front but it was not for the want of trying that we have not got the ''quality'' ''expensive'' player so many want.

This is still work in progress. Give the man time. He has improved our defence beyond recognition. If we are still in the Premiership next season (and I think we will be) and we have not improved our attackers and our approach to games then I will agree with you.

You miss my point entirely. CH stated he would have started with two up top yesterday, but couldn''t because Holt was unavailable! There WERE other options, whether you believe that Jackson is up to it or not, he is a part of Hughton''s squad who is regularly on the bench. He is not alone in NOT scoring goals this season, and the one reason for that is the negative tactics used by Hughton which has affected ALL the strikers employed in the first eleven this season! The stats do not lie, we have scored less goals than every side BELOW us this season!

Who would be left out if we played two up top! How about one of the defensive midfielders, Tettey or Johnson, who both have difficulty in producing anything creative, especially in the last 9 games, and both who are having difficulty in passing a ball to a colleague''s feet! Why not play Wes, our most talented playmaker in midfield with a free hand to roam, in the Lampard/Gerrard type role?

You state with the. Recent signings Hughton has more options. Yes he does. So why not play Kamara for longer yesterday? Simply because he wished to persist in the defensive formation from the start of the game, just a s he has ALL season, what good is it to anyone when he states ''I as going to start with Holt and Becchio. Answer me this, if that was the case, who do you suggest he would have left out, and why?

And where did Insuggest that any of the defensive signings have let us down? My argument is the negative style of play, completely, which Hughton must recognise himself if you believe what he said himself yesterday!

And yes we did know that quality was required up front! So we put in ''record'' bids for this quality, and it wasn''t for want of trying. How easily some are able to accept such statements. Are you of the opinion that Becchio and Kamara, two payers of 28+ years with very limited experience of the premiership are that quality! Strikers of all abilities are there to score goals, but they have to receive the ball in situations where they have the opportunity to score. And again, the stats do not lie. If Van Persie, Benteke, Drogba or any such quality striker was in our team, they would not score ghat fuels of goals, and that is down to the way that Hughton sets up his team. It is so easy for him to say I was going to...........! He hasn''t done it all season and I don''t think he will do it for the rest of the season, and fir that we will suffer.

City 2nd How can you possibly say Hughton always plays negative football when his Newcastle Championship winning side scored a record number of goals - 124 - an average of 2.7 per match home and away. He sets up his team bearing in mind the talent available and anyone here who thinks that Chris Martin is Premiership class is kidding themselves..

Surfbird wrote the following post at 10/02/2013 4:25 PM:

City 2nd How can you possibly say Hughton always plays negative football when his Newcastle Championship winning side scored a record number of goals - 124 - an average of 2.7 per match home and away.

What the hell has Hughton''s tenure at Newcastle got to do with the tactics he employs at Norwich, FYI he inherited a premiership squad that whoever was boss would have been promoted. And I will tell you this, having regained premiership status, many players in that squad could not buy into his tactics and methods, and player power ruled the day, because Mike Ashley got rid. Another typical NCFC supporter who always quote historically - we are in the now, Newcastle is nothing to do with us or Hughton mores the pity, and under Hughton we are negative, and we have players who do not buy into his defensive mindset. Ask Holt, Morrison and Jackson, all goal scorers last season why they have 5 premiership goals between them. Morison was not wrong when he stated that he did not fit into the msnagers plan. 3 into 1 doesn''t go!

He will keep us up and that will be job done, Just remember the first few games of the season, I am sure survival would have seemed enough for you then, you can''t blame Hughton for wanting to keep things tight. As others have said, lets see how things go next season when it will be his squad, judge him then!

Surfbird - how can you use that fact where they kept most of their premiership team. Most of us could have managed Newcastle in that league!

canarygirl wrote the following post at 10/02/2013 5:35 PM:

He will keep us up and that will be job done, Just remember the first few games of the season, I am sure survival would have seemed enough for you then, you can''t blame Hughton for wanting to keep things tight. As others have said, lets see how things go next season when it will be his squad, judge him then!

Forgive me for being rather naive, but unless we have another manager, isn''t it Hughton''s squad anyway? And no, I am not an advocate of mere existence, football is meant to be a game of enjoyment, pcombative,, entertaining where winning is the objective. What is the mere point of turning up and playing 10/11 players behind the ball in a mere effort to stop the other team scoring. Football is all about winning, why have so many Norwich supporters lost site of that. Didn''t hear the same people complaining that they were being too entertained during the promotions and first season in the premiership at all, but all of a sudden Hughton is the best thing since sliced bread with an entertainment level of a big fat zero. And what is this lets see how he goes next season when it will be his squad - why are so many of you so sure that he will go and spend millions on a complete new squad - it is a completely idiotic thought and quite simply will not happen, but one thing is for sure, the dividend payment to board members will certainly be greater than it has ever been. Should the worst happen CG I do hope you will be the first on here to show your misguided loyalty towards one of the most negative managers I have experienced in 55 years of watching NCFC, and being involved in football at senior levels of playing, coaching and refereeing.

One goal in five games is relegation form, Our leading scorer for the last three seasons only has four, other teams below us are changing things, why isn''t Hughton? If we don''t refresh the tactics we WILL get sucked down into a scrap for 17th.

scrappy33 wrote the following post at 10/02/2013 7:04 PM:

One goal in five games is relegation form, Our leading scorer for the last three seasons only has four, other teams below us are changing things, why isn''t Hughton? If we don''t refresh the tactics we WILL get sucked down into a scrap for 17th.

Villa win, 2 9, and we now ARE sucked into it, with them to play too! Not looking so good now is it!

There will be a lot of money spent over the summer and then it will be his squad. He inherited a group of forwards who he clearly does not rate that highly hence the bringing in on Becchio and Kamara. There will undoubtedly be more to come. Football is about entertainment but also is a business, survival as I said is all that matters. You have seen some very good games at CR this season and you have been entertained! If Holt hadn''t been injured yesterday you would probably have seen 2 up, a more exciting game and a win. I pay for 3 season tickets and yes I want entertainment, but I also want to see us survive what was always going to be a hugely challenging season.

canarygirl wrote the following post at 10/02/2013 7:43 PM:

There will be a lot of money spent over the summer and then it will be his squad. He inherited a group of forwards who he clearly does not rate that highly hence the bringing in on Becchio and Kamara. There will undoubtedly be more to come. Football is about entertainment but also is a business, survival as I said is all that matters. You have seen some very good games at CR this season and you have been entertained! If Holt hadn''t been injured yesterday you would probably have seen 2 up, a more exciting game and a win. I pay for 3 season tickets and yes I want entertainment, but I also want to see us survive what was always going to be a hugely challenging season.

I can categorically say that I have seen far far more poor games than I have good CG - for God''s sake look at the stats, quite simply they do it lie. He inherited forwards he clearly does not rate - and signs a 29 year old forward from Leeds who actually has spent more time playing for them in league 1, and a 28 year old striker who has played in the MLS for over 9 years, you know, that real hotbed of football in the USA! And you think we will spend lots of money in the summer? You are totally in loud cuckoo land survival is not all that matters, progression matters, winning games matters. The day I see an entertaining game under Hughton who is playing two up top with enterprising, attacking, entertaining and creative football I will gladly repent my sins and come and give you a great big sloppy wet kiss - and likevthepromises you and Hughton make, that ain''t going to happen!

You all say it will be spent a lot of money in the summer, if we stay up.

Who says so? McNally?

And what quality will we get for the pocket change we are prepared to spend?

Thats the real issue. Who will we attract with this dull manager and dull brand of football?

Must be 35yr olds "with bags of experience", looking for a last 2yr contract, or compeltely untried 21 yr olds at this stage, or even better, 29-30 something strikers from MLS or Belgium 2.division.