Sign in to follow this  
thenorthstand

I Don't Understand...

Why do the Hughton should stay brigade feel like they have some sort of moral high ground? The mocking of those who think he should go seems weird to me, there is definitely a strong case that he shouldn''t be in charge, especially based on performances.

Not everybody who thinks sacking Hughton could well be a good move is some sort of Lambert-loving, canary calling, Blackpool idolising idiot.

Any manager who had taken 4 points from 27, seen his team score 1 goal in 6 games and got knocked out of the FA cup to non league opposition would be under a lot of pressure. Hughton is probably getting off lightly here at Norwich who are as a football club extremely patient and forgiving. Nothing wrong with patience in general but approaching the last 1/4 of the season we just can''t afford to risk Hughton''s backs to the wall approach taking us down.

The "who do you replace him with" argument is valid, but there are definitely a few managers out there I''d rather see in charge.

There are ''numpties'' on either side of this discussion who will shout down the others regardless of how they make the point. However, the majority on here are generally open for debate, and even if they disagree will try to do so without getting (too!) offensive.

My own opinion is that any manager who can keep Norwich in the league position we are now is doing ok and certainly doesn''t deserve to be sacked.

[quote user="thenorthstand"]Why do the Hughton should stay brigade feel like they have some sort of moral high ground? The mocking of those who think he should go seems weird to me, there is definitely a strong case that he shouldn''t be in charge, especially based on performances.

Not everybody who thinks sacking Hughton could well be a good move is some sort of Lambert-loving, canary calling, Blackpool idolising idiot.

Any manager who had taken 4 points from 27, seen his team score 1 goal in 6 games and got knocked out of the FA cup to non league opposition would be under a lot of pressure. Hughton is probably getting off lightly here at Norwich who are as a football club extremely patient and forgiving. Nothing wrong with patience in general but approaching the last 1/4 of the season we just can''t afford to risk Hughton''s backs to the wall approach taking us down.

The "who do you replace him with" argument is valid, but there are definitely a few managers out there I''d rather see in charge.[/quote]There is no harm at all in naming a few people who you would prefer to be City manager just as long as you realise there is no chance of it happening. It is an interesting exercise but it will form no part of the Boards thinking in the real world.He has been given a target by the Board which you should well know by now. If that target is achieved he will have done his job and be safe for next season.In the unlikely event that he fails there could possibly be a rethink. I don''t think he will fail and I don''t think he will be replaced.

[quote user="thenorthstand"]Why do the Hughton should stay brigade feel like they have some sort of moral high ground? The mocking of those who think he should go seems weird to me, there is definitely a strong case that he shouldn''t be in charge, especially based on performances.

The "who do you replace him with" argument is valid, but there are definitely a few managers out there I''d rather see in charge.[/quote]Okay, if you are advocating Hughton should be sacked (Not sure if you are or you arent) can you honestly say, hand on heart, it would benefit Norwich City, and improve our chances of avoiding relegation?Honestly?Its not about moral high ground, its about calm analysis of the bigger picture, and coming to a common sense opinion / conclusion.

Some good points in response to the OP already.

The board will have set objectives for the manager. How he achieves them is up to him. I doubt that ''attractive football'' is high on the list. Points is at the top of the list, and no matter how many times people want to break down the season into good runs and bad runs for their own purposes, Hughton will only, and should only, be judged on the season as a whole. As a whole, right now we are about 6 points better off than the bare minimum that the board would have made his objective.

Moreover, I''ll say this. Whilst the football isn''t pretty, we are not in a position to be football snobs. The pot of gold on the horizon is of huge importance to the Club, and may allow us to recruit the players that will allow us to be expansive going forward.

All those who keep seeing Hughton as some sort of ''anti-football'' manager obviously didn''t watch much of his Newcastle team tearing up the Championship. He just thinks it is the best way to keep this team in the division, and looking at 29pts, it''s working. There have, also, been some really entertaining games that I have been to or watched on the telly - Man Utd, Arsenal, Swansea, Man City to name a few.

The other issue is that most posters who simply say ''Hughton out'' have no cogent plan for how that will benefit the Club. They just say it with no idea of what the Club might be able to do in terms of recruitment and the no doubt large cost that a change in management team will bring. Most sane supporters recognise that DM and the board are in the best position to judge what is best for the Club, that''s why those who agree with their approach, in my view, have right on their side.

I''d quite like someone to tell me whether we are underachieving under Hughton and, if we are, where they feel we should be in the table and how many points we should have.

It would cost too much to sack Hughton and his team this early in their contracts. Not that I want him sacked, little happy-clappy that I am.

We have Delia not Roman. We have Michael W-J not Randy.

Sack Hughton and forgets about too many multi-million pound ventures into the market for a while.  

We have to run with Hughton. Should we stay up, I hope the board seriously reflect as to whether he is the right man for the job. Should we go down the season will be about rebuilding following the loss of Ruddy, Bassong, Snodgrass and Pilkington to name but four. The manager will be the least of our worries.

In the wake of their 3-1 win over the Premier League champions, do people now feel that the Southampton directors were right to replace Adkins with Pochettino?

What I will say is that I think there will need to be a ''tweak'' next season if we are able to survive and invest. Hopefully if we can bring in 6 or 7 quality players that will make a big difference, but undoubtedly I do think that there could be a growing swell of opinion against the manager if the general trend of low-scoring games were to be repeated in the early part of next season.

As I''ve said earlier, I think if he gets more quality in then Hughton will take a more positive approach, but of course we won''t know until next season...

I''m not advocating that Hughton should be sacked at present but he needs to know current performance/results are not acceptable. After all the media attention lambert has got, I''m not sure how Hughton has not had any comments thrown his way especially after the Luton debacle.

"In the wake of their 3-1 win over the Premier League champions, do people now feel that the Southampton directors were right to replace Adkins with Pochettino?"

No. They were 15th (I think) when he was sacked, and they were playing reasonably well. Given that his target for the season would have been survival I think it was ridiculous to sack him at a point where he had them on course to achieve that target.

[quote user="thenorthstand"]Why do the Hughton should stay brigade feel like they have some sort of moral high ground? The mocking of those who think he should go seems weird to me, there is definitely a strong case that he shouldn''t be in charge, especially based on performances. .[/quote]

Where has this happened. Perhaps you can help me. Because all I''ve seen is those you feel are being mocked calling anyone who doesn''t agree with them happy clappers. Perhaps we should call the northstanders?

fan68,

I''m just not sure it''s true to say that current performances and results are unacceptable. Yes, we haven''t won in 9 games but we are looking reasonably solid and most will have seen the Spurs and QPR results as one point gained.

What we are doing is looking fairly solid and, Liverpool aside, no one is really giving us a hiding. We are gradually accumulating points and still edging toward safety. To put into context the strength of our position, 1 win, 6 draws and 5 defeats, or if you like 2 wins, 3 draws and 7 defeats from here will probably keep us up.

[quote user="fonejacker"]In the wake of their 3-1 win over the Premier League champions, do people now feel that the Southampton directors were right to replace Adkins with Pochettino?[/quote]Would it be inconvenient of me to point out that all those in agreement with Adkins''s replacement would by the same logic have to agree that it would be wrong to sack a manager who led his team to victory against the current and (unlike Citeh) in form Premier League leaders. Probably the best people to ask this question of are the Wolves fans, they sacked McCarthy a year ago this week, panned out well.....[:D]