Sign in to follow this  
norfolk boy up north

Shades of 95 revisited

I know this has been mentioned before but the sequence has an unnerving familiarity:7th at Christmas then 11 games without a win but a few draws so "picking up points". A 3:0 win against the doomed Binners - "all but safe surely" - followed by 8 games without a win and relegation by 2 points. The law averages said we would get the elusive second win - we never did. Long in the tooth supporters know we are governed by Sod''s law. We need to win games against modest opposition and slowly but surely enough of those below us are in striking range. Be afraid.

Trust me, I am afraid. Yet, I don''t much think it would be a bad thing. The club has forgotten about the football, and the championship is a great footballing league and requires more attention on the footy than the business. So I can live in hope we survive and get back to what really matters, or be relegated and then we are forced to get back to what really matters!

A few of us are afraid. We haven''t taken opportunities against relatively out of form teams like Newcastle and Fulham. We now have to play teams that can score goals like Southampton and Reading. The parallels with 1995 have been evident for a number of weeks now.

It seems whenever someone airs a justified concern, all they are met with is sarcasm and/or derision.

It makes me a little sad that the main forum for all things connected to our fine club is just so (barring one or two threads) very juvenile.

[quote user="fonejacker"]It seems whenever someone airs a justified concern, all they are met with is sarcasm and/or derision.

It makes me a little sad that the main forum for all things connected to our fine club is just so (barring one or two threads) very juvenile.[/quote]Binner!

Love it when someone brings this up. Makes themselves look completely stupid.

Like the ones that say "We would have drawn so-and-so if we''d won that cup game"

um, no, thats not how the universe works.

Just an update to all the old people out there. It''s 2013, not 1995. It''s a completely different season with completely different circumstances. If you can''t understand that then you need to take some evening classes or something. Jesus...

Look I''m not a Binner - happiest moment of my footballing life? Martin O''Neil''s last minute winner at Portaloo Road in the 3:2 win on December 27th 1982.

Nor am I wanting to be negative for the sake of it - I''m just pointing out that points don''t just materialise from nowhere, you''re as good as your last performance, and at the moment we are not getting them nor playing especially well. The difference between a win and a draw is massive - especially at this stage of the season and without going mad we need a little more adventure. Fortune favours the brave. The lessons of history are not supestitions...

Whilst accepting circumstances are of course different, one could also point to similarities. What we should perhaps agree on is the precedent that this season offers - you can slip out of the league, slowly and gradually almost unseen, with little concern from the majority. Certainly, I didn''t see relegation coming the day Gunn was injured and our problems certainly might be traced to this event. So we should not be complacent about our current predicament.

[quote user="norfolk boy up north"]Look I''m not a Binner - happiest moment of my footballing life? Martin O''Neil''s last minute winner at Portaloo Road in the 3:2 win on December 27th 1982. s...[/quote]

Standing behind the goal that day that shot will forever remain with me. Thanks for the memory.

But you saw this one soon enough Highland. You saw it before a ball was kicked. To my knowledge the only game you gave us a chance of winning this season was Wigan at home. And you didn''t really believe we''d win that. Yesterday you posted that your glass is half empty. It''s not it''s empty. It''s always empty. There''s a feckin great whole in the bottom of it so there''s never anything in it. If we get relegated you won''t be able to claim you were right anymore than you can claim a stopped clock is right. Because you never predict anything except the worst scenario.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

But you saw this one soon enough Highland. You saw it before a ball was kicked. To my knowledge the only game you gave us a chance of winning this season was Wigan at home. And you didn''t really believe we''d win that. Yesterday you posted that your glass is half empty. It''s not it''s empty. It''s always empty. There''s a feckin great whole in the bottom of it so there''s never anything in it. If we get relegated you won''t be able to claim you were right anymore than you can claim a stopped clock is right. Because you never predict anything except the worst scenario.

[/quote]Quite Nutty.It amazes me that he hasn''t abandoned the '' I''m not a betting man '' mantra and lumped everything @ 8/1 on City being relegated.Maybe he''s not so downbeat after all ?

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]Quite Nutty.It amazes me that he hasn''t abandoned the '' I''m not a betting man '' mantra and lumped everything @ 8/1 on City being relegated.Maybe he''s not so downbeat after all ?

[/quote]I would guess that his sporan is empty.Come on Highland surely worth a few bobee''s. I''ll be happy to lay you 10-1 myself.

Thought Highland''s point was well made. I know its not 1995 I know its possible to be ridiculously negative as a sort of insurance policy against disappointment - summed up in Feverpitch: Arsenal take the lead in decisive end of season match "Typical bloody Arsenal just doing it to make the ultimate disappointment all the harder to bear". Or in Clockwise: "I can cope with despair -its the hope I can''t handle". But like many others, while being glad we''ve tightened up defensively, there is a time to take a calculated risk and we CH seems fearful of trying anything other then Plan A

It will be interesting to see how we set ourselves out when he play Holt and Becchio up front, and whether the goals per game ratio improves!