Sign in to follow this  
GPB

Eddie Eddie

Looking at the headline on the EDP re Edworthy and his contract being up in the summer I just thought I''d stick my fourpen''th in by saying we would be absolutely crackers to let him go.

I think he has been excellent this year as he was last season. Against the Baggies, Eddie showed his worth both defensively and going forward.(I was amazed he didn''t get MOM!) Anyone agree / disagree?

I agree, GPB. Ive always been a fan of Eddy I think he works hard for us, I cant see him going.

Anyone else notice Fleming having a bit of a go at him for, I assume, playing out of position last Saturday against WBA? One of the reasons I rate Eddy, apart from getting stuck in, is that he''s not afraid to make forward runs, its good to see him hurtling up the wing and being part of the forward play.

Yes, this can leave us exposed at the back which Flem was understandably frustrated about, a couple of times he had to come accross to pick up the winger but for me Eddy has been good for us and held his own. Good to see him get some recognition from the fans too with his little chant.

Agreed. Nigel bought Helveg to replace him but he soon got his place back and is arguably our most consistent defender over the past two seasons. A nice bloke too. People like him dont very often get the sponsors Man of the Match award. I sometimes wonder exactly how much of the match these people have actually watched.

I agree it would be madness to let him go. 

If we stay in the prem he is an excellent squad player to provide cover behind Helveg or ANOther right back. If we get relegated he has proven experience at that level and Helveg is likely to leave; not signing him means we would need to sign two new right backs, which would simply be unnecessary.

OTBC  

[quote]Without a shadow of a doubt Eddie deserves another contract. Whichever league we''re in he''ll be able to make the grade.[/quote]

I always thought you didn''t rate Eddie, DDiM?? Oh well I mst be confusing you with someone else.

Yeah we''ve got to give Eddie another contract - he''s had a great season and thoroughly deserves one.

Eddie is playing at the very top of his game, something the rest of our team cannot say.

However, he is only just getting by in this league and can look out of his depth - if that''s when he''s at the top of his game, then what will happen if his form drops!

I totally agree he deserves a new contract but, if Helveg''s face don''t fit, in the summer we need to find a cracking right back that Eddy can really compete with and back up.

[quote]I always thought you didn''t rate Eddie, DDiM?? Oh well I mst be confusing you with someone else. Yeah we''ve got to give Eddie another contract - he''s had a great season and thoroughly deserves one.[/quote]

Not me Worthy!  I love the guy.

It would indeed be madness to let him go. As I''ve said before, he''s ludicrously underrated - or unfashionable is probably a better word. All our defenders, and all our players, have made mistakes this season, but he''s made less than most. He may never have played in Serie A or Primera Liga but he''s doing the business for us. It would be stupid and callous to let him go at the end of the year.

I don''t think we should renew his contract...

Ideally we''d let him go at the end of season, have Helveg at right back when he gets back fit, and for next season of course. To replace Edworthy, we''d sign a young right back with good potential who can take over from Helveg after next season.

Edworthy has done a great job for us, and is a top bloke. However, this season he has been caught out a little bit, as have most of the players, but the full backs have to be spot on and cannot afford to ball-watch or be ''reactive'' to the play; unfortunately Edworthy does this quite a lot of the time. Drury has paid the penalty for doing the same, so should Edworthy when Helveg is fully fit.

Reactive is exactly the word, not proactive.

People seem to be impressed when he gets back and makes a(nother) last ditch tackle. What I always think is why is he always making last ditch tackles and not reading the game and stepping in earlier to avoid the last ditch stuff - in my eyes that''s the work of a truly good defender.

Still, he''s a fans favourite and will make an excellent squad player - give him a deal now, just don''t make him automatic choice for a start.