Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

How many teams will finish below us

I am both confident and optimistic that we will stay up, however after the heady days of the 10game unbeaten run i feel the number of teams likely to finish below us is dwindling. IMO we will only finish above QPR, Wigan, aston Villa and Reading, but that should still be regarded as a success story. Next season some of the teams coming up are probably going to be significantly weaker than Reading, West Ham and Southampton who came up this year and we may revert to a more traditional bottom of the table look whereby a couple of the promoted clubs take up relegation slots

At least 3 and that''s all I really care about this season.

Debt free next year with plenty of money to spend is where we should see some real improvement.

[quote user="QHcanary"]At least 3 and that''s all I really care about this season.

Debt free next year with plenty of money to spend is where we should see some real improvement.[/quote]This ^^^^^^^

Four.... the bottom four as it stands now.

I can see Newcastle and Southampton overtaking us, especially if we don''t beat Southampton at home.

I''ll take that this season but like a lot of Norwich fans I would not be keen on us becoming a Wigan, aiming for 17th every season.

For me Hughton will have achieved his objective if we stay up this season, but if he is backed again with money in the summer then it will be very much a Hughton team and not a Lambert team.

When we have a Hughton team instead of a Lambert team I will expect him to do as well as Lambert in his Premier League season.... 12th to 14th.

Next season we really need to be pushing on, and I doubt it will happen without us becoming a more attacking team.

I actually consider Hughton to be extremely lucky so far this season, not signing a striker in the summer was a huge gamble and it has only paid off by virtue of a couple of unexpected results at home to Man Utd and Arsenal.

I''ve already written this season off in terms of excitement or good football, I''ll just cheer every point and start thinking about the summer when we will need to think about a couple of flagship signings if we really want to move up the league.

I''ll be angry if Hughton goes and signs four defenders again, because he''s had money for the defence, the money needs to bring in two top midfielders and a top striker in my opinion..... preferably a ball playing centre midfielder in the Ian Crook mould (e.g. Charlie Adam) and a version of Snodgrass for the left wing, with a potential 15 goal striker like Van Winky or Hooper.

When Hughton has those components he will have no excuse at all for playing defensive football at home to Newcastle and Fulham.

We have to take maximum points from certainly Reading, Southampton and Villa at home. On current form over the last 9 premier league matches and the FA Cup debacle, I just do not see that happening. We then have the likes of Everton, Man Utd and City and Arsenal to play from the top level sides. Again on current form I see us gaining very little from these.

We then have to rely on the sides below like Newcastle, Sundeland, Wigan (both of whom we have to play too) Southampton, villa and reading losing points on a more regular basis than ourselves. It is going to be a very uncomfortable ride for sure if we continue in the same form of the last 9 games. Several sides, including ourselves have been relegated following a major slump in form after being well placed coming into the Xmas period. We have not won since 15th December and were 10th at one point!

Given that QPR will not catch us, and that the sides below us have to play each other at some stage (therefore points will be dropped somewhere), here are a selection of remaining fixtures for;

Reading:

(H) Liverpool, and Man City .(A) Everton, Man Utd and Arsenal

Villa:

(H) Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea. (A) Arsenal and Man Utd

Wigan:

(H) Liverpool and Spurs (A) Man City, WBA and Arsenal

There will not be a lot of points won in those games (although there are always ''funny'' results towards the end ofthe season.

Coupled with us quite capable of picking up points in a fair few of our remaining games, then I do not worry about us at all.

We are 4 points away from 10th and 8 points away from 17th, subject to Villa losing today, but even if they win we are still 6 points from 17th.

Two wins and four draws from our remaining 12 will probably do it, but Southampton is a must win in my opinion..... but they have a lot of goals in them!

I''d say at least 3, probably at least 4, maybe 5 below us.

However, I''m not sure I share Yorkshire''s optimism about the quality (or lack of) the sides coming up next season. Cardiff and probably Leicester are good sides who have got cash behind them. If they get into the prem, their owners are probably going to be willing to chuck even more cash in than they''ve already spent, in an attempt to stay up. Of the other teams looking to be in the playoffs, Watford would worry me slightly due to their owners as well, I think they''d turn out a decent side. Admittedly the other sides in the playoffs probably wouldn''t be major threats I don''t think.

I think we''ll need a couple of very astute signings in the summer to be safe next year.

I will wait and see who comes up before commenting on the quality of the newcomers to the league, but I have a sneaky feeling that Cardiff would stay up should they get promoted....

I hope that Cardiff win the division for the following reasons;

1) Simon Lappin wins a Championship winners medal!

2) We get to abuse David Marshall

3) Cardiff is a great away day

4) Malky is a legend

"Hopefully only 2, get into a quality football league! "

I see, so what do we do then? Try to win every game?

Wait a minute ... that would mean ...

There''s more out than in.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]With the risk of being flamed I suspect two teams will ultimately finish below us - Reading and Wigan.[/quote]Yes but being a Binner that''s just what you would say.

That would also mean that QPR who are a full 7pts from safety and 12pts from our total would somehow overtake us?

They also have Man U and then Southampton away..could be VERY adrift of the rest by then

Next round of games will be very interesting 4 teams below us playing each other

Reading v Wigan

Newcastle v Southampton

the others are

Arsenal v Villa

QPR v Man U

If Reading and Villa win then it''s squeaky bum time for sure assuming we lose or draw.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Highland Canary"]With the risk of being flamed I suspect two teams will ultimately finish below us - Reading and Wigan.[/quote]Yes but being a Binner that''s just what you would say.[/quote]

I can assure you that the games I''ve seen at Poorman Road have always been from the away section. I''ve only missed two City games all season Southampton A and Swansea A, particularly unfortunate given we won. So I have put the miles in Newcastle A on Sunday PM again, Liverpool A which was an exciting journey.

I hold a minority view - possibly of one - but that shouldn''t invalidate the debate on a discussion forum. Please no name calling.

[quote user="Highland Canary"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Highland Canary"]With the risk of being flamed I suspect two teams will ultimately finish below us - Reading and Wigan.[/quote]Yes but being a Binner that''s just what you would say.[/quote]

I can assure you that the games I''ve seen at Poorman Road have always been from the away section. I''ve only missed two City games all season Southampton A and Swansea A, particularly unfortunate given we won. So I have put the miles in Newcastle A on Sunday PM again, Liverpool A which was an exciting journey.

I hold a minority view - possibly of one - but that shouldn''t invalidate the debate on a discussion forum. Please no name calling.[/quote]Far more than a minority view HC. It''s been nothing but unremitting negativity in the face of all evidence to the contrary.  I bet you are a bundle of laughs to sit next to on a long away journey.If you''re not a Binner you will be pleased to know that we will comfortably survive this season, so you can sleep soundly tonight.