Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Wazzy's Ref Watch

Howard Webb - I couldn''t argue with 3 of the 4 yellow cards, but the last one for Manolev was a disgrace. If ever there was the chance to send out the right message, albeit late in the game this was the moment. Cynically hacked Hoolahan from behind absolutely no intent to play the ball. A red could have and in my opinion should have been shown. What made it even worse was the fact he went and low fived Hangeland, knowing exactly what he had done. Webb gives some strange decisions, like when Hoolahan gets clipped falls on the defender who clipped him and they get the free kick - how does that work? And some things he doesn''t give at all.  He got 2 or 3 decisions wrong with throw ins and corners - going the wrong way - and I didn''t even think they looked difficult decisions to call.  He plays far too much ''Advantage'' (even when it''s borderline if you are going to retain possession - I''ve said it so many times, just keeping the ball doesn''t always mean you have an advantage). Today Snodgrass suffered from the same thing that Holt had a few weeks ago, Snoddy got fouled, Webb plays advantage and Snoddy being unable to keep possession realising he''s not going to get a free kick goes and puts one of their players up in the air, and promptly gets booked. He wasn''t helped today by another Lino who can''t tell who''s offisde and/or interferring. Becchio in an offside position, jogging back towards his own goal in the middle of the pitch, is flagged offside while Jackson clearly onside is attacking the ball under the Lino''s nose.

Howard Webb - I would expect better 4

Webb''s problem is that he believes the hype that surrounds him that he is our best referee. Unfortunately since his world cup debacle where he failed to book players that would have meant sending them off his performances have tailed off and he is now no better than many of the other second raters that we have to suffer.

Four seems harsh to me, plus you forgot the Sec 57 paragraph 1a sub para (ii) bonus point see below:Sec 57 (1a)(ii) A referee who does not award a soft or a non penalty* against Norwich in a Premier League match shall be awarded the relevant bonus point(s) in Wazzys Ref watch as defined in 57(1a)(iii). 57(1a)(iii)  If the match is against a team in the bottom half of the league table the total bonus points to be awarded is 1. If the match is against a team in the top six positions of the league table the total bonus points to be awarded is 2. If the match is against a team from Manchester the total bonus points to be awarded is 4.*See Schedule 1 sec 74-sec75 for definition of soft/non penalty.

[quote user="Zak Burger"]Four seems harsh to me, plus you forgot the Sec 57 paragraph 1a sub para (ii) bonus point see below:

Sec 57 (1a)(ii) A referee who does not award a soft or a non penalty* against Norwich in a Premier League match shall be awarded the relevant bonus point(s) in Wazzys Ref watch as defined in 57(1a)(iii).

57(1a)(iii)
 If the match is against a team in the bottom half of the league table the total bonus points to be awarded is 1.
 If the match is against a team in the top six positions of the league table the total bonus points to be awarded is 2.
 If the match is against a team from Manchester the total bonus points to be awarded is 4.

*See Schedule 1 sec 74-sec75 for definition of soft/non penalty.

[/quote]

[:D]

Was looking forward to reading your views on Webb. I thought he had a decent game, made clear the reasoning behind his decisions. Many worse refs out there in the Premier League.

I agree with the above and seem to remember a previous write up on Webb being about as negative

Personal problem with him? I''d have gone for at least a 7 maybe an 8

But thanks for your thoughts

I think he was possibly the best Ref we''ve had this season. Didn''t really do anything wrong and did a decent job.

Any of the incorrect decisions were the linesmen and not Webb from what I could see

Think he made a few wrong calls but they were all from the "advantage" he likes to play.

I know we all like to see play to keep moving but it irks me when a player is clearly fouled and then off balance as they continue which causes them to lose the ball.

Several times Webb didnt really bring the play back like he should have.

Pity Holty had a bad back as would like to see what Webb would make of his style of play, not the diving which wouldnt even get him on Splash ! I dont feel Holt is getting a fair crack at the moment and defenders know it !

Having said all that, still better than most of the dross we have had to endure from refs this season !!

Having only seen the highlights, there did seem to be some questionable decisions.

As a fellow Ref Waz, what did you make of the foul given against Kamara for his, in my opinion, legitimate challenge for the ball with Schwarzer?

I thought it was harsh.

Actually forgot about that. I thought if anything Schwarzer absolutely clattered Kei without winning the ball in any shape or form. Could that have been a penalty?

From what I saw, he certainly took Kamara out of it, but after he''d got his toe to the ball, had I seen that on a local league I would have considered it an accidental ''coming together'', both challenging and certainly not a foul from either player.

OK, the effort went wide, but it''s irritating to think that had it been on target, it would have been disallowed.

That seems like a fair assessment, the ball had already gone so neither player was losing an advantage. But I agree, had he scored, the goal should have stood.

Gladly he didn''t so no controversy looms!

[quote user="Muffles"]

Having only seen the highlights, there did seem to be some questionable decisions.

As a fellow Ref Waz, what did you make of the foul given against Kamara for his, in my opinion, legitimate challenge for the ball with Schwarzer?

I thought it was harsh.

[/quote]

Yeah, very harsh.

I didn''t think Kamara touched him, but you know goalies!