Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

A few points to consider

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="morty"][quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="morty"]Hughtons job is to make sure we are in the Premier league next year, and I think we will be.We are making the most of the players we have on the books right now, and when we get another big bag of money in the summer, we will make a few more quality signings, and progress a bit further.Some of you really need to stop panicing, I saw lots of posatives in todays game.[/quote]i cant disagree Morty, but clean sheet aside, what were the positives? Any attacking ones?[/quote]Well firstly, I shall point out the lone striker role is an extremely one not only to play, but to look good playing. Becchio actually won more headers today that Holt normally does for starters. The manager has already said he intended to play Holt and Becchio today, but was forced into last minute changes due to the late injury, so all things considered, Becchio did an adequate job.Wes was frankly unplayable at times, and Snodgrass was excellent. Bennet had an okay game, I''m not convinced by him, and he is way behind Pilks in my opinion.Fulham came here with a similar game plan to ours, and we cancelled each other out for long periods, but I think if you check (I haven''t) we had more shots on goal than them.Also before the game I was pondering the Fulham team, and frankly, most neutrals would have heard of virtually their whole team, they are all seasoned Prem campaigners.We are a small club, we have no financial backing outside of what every other team gets, and frankly we are probably punching slightly above our weight. So, looking at the bigger picture, yes there are positives.A few armchair managers on here need to get a bit real frankly.

[/quote]And why are we saying "clean sheet aside, what are the positives?"Why can''t a clean sheet be a positive?[/quote]

Clean sheets don''t win games when you can''t score! So it''s hardly a positive is it?

[quote user="ricardo"]Sorry but I can''t agree with all this negativity. I think we are playing the best team we have available. Fox, Howson, Jacko etc have all been tried and fail to impress when given a start. Yes, we might score a few more goals if we played the diamond or two up front but we would undoubtedly concede more. I can understand that some people would prefer a 3-3 to a goalless draw but its still a point at the end of the day.The object this season of all seasons is to stay in the league. I don''t particularly care how Hughton achieves that goal but if it''s grinding out 0-0''s I am more than happy with that. We have 29 points and as long as our defence remains injury free I don''t see us conceding many and that always give you a chance of picking up points.Expansive play is for another season when hopefully we will have a few more quality players. For now grinding out out the remaining 9 or 10 points required is the ONLY thing that really matters.[/quote]

^^^This!^^^

[quote user="morty"][quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="morty"]Hughtons job is to make sure we are in the Premier league next year, and I think we will be.We are making the most of the players we have on the books right now, and when we get another big bag of money in the summer, we will make a few more quality signings, and progress a bit further.Some of you really need to stop panicing, I saw lots of posatives in todays game.[/quote]i cant disagree Morty, but clean sheet aside, what were the positives? Any attacking ones?[/quote]Well firstly, I shall point out the lone striker role is an extremely one not only to play, but to look good playing. Becchio actually won more headers today that Holt normally does for starters. The manager has already said he intended to play Holt and Becchio today, but was forced into last minute changes due to the late injury, so all things considered, Becchio did an adequate job.Wes was frankly unplayable at times, and Snodgrass was excellent. Bennet had an okay game, I''m not convinced by him, and he is way behind Pilks in my opinion.Fulham came here with a similar game plan to ours, and we cancelled each other out for long periods, but I think if you check (I haven''t) we had more shots on goal than them.Also before the game I was pondering the Fulham team, and frankly, most neutrals would have heard of virtually their whole team, they are all seasoned Prem campaigners.We are a small club, we have no financial backing outside of what every other team gets, and frankly we are probably punching slightly above our weight. So, looking at the bigger picture, yes there are positives.A few armchair managers on here need to get a bit real frankly.

[/quote]Becchio won 3/8 of his aerial duals today, so i wouldnt really say it was any more or less based on Holts 0/6 v QPR (Samba is a beast) and his 3/3 v Spurs. I dont think he has Holt''s presence but would work well with someone else up top.I felt for Becchio today. The service was poor. Which takes me back to my OP regarding creativity and build up...............

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="morty"][quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="morty"]Hughtons job is to make sure we are in the Premier league next year, and I think we will be.We are making the most of the players we have on the books right now, and when we get another big bag of money in the summer, we will make a few more quality signings, and progress a bit further.Some of you really need to stop panicing, I saw lots of posatives in todays game.[/quote]i cant disagree Morty, but clean sheet aside, what were the positives? Any attacking ones?[/quote]Well firstly, I shall point out the lone striker role is an extremely one not only to play, but to look good playing. Becchio actually won more headers today that Holt normally does for starters. The manager has already said he intended to play Holt and Becchio today, but was forced into last minute changes due to the late injury, so all things considered, Becchio did an adequate job.Wes was frankly unplayable at times, and Snodgrass was excellent. Bennet had an okay game, I''m not convinced by him, and he is way behind Pilks in my opinion.Fulham came here with a similar game plan to ours, and we cancelled each other out for long periods, but I think if you check (I haven''t) we had more shots on goal than them.Also before the game I was pondering the Fulham team, and frankly, most neutrals would have heard of virtually their whole team, they are all seasoned Prem campaigners.We are a small club, we have no financial backing outside of what every other team gets, and frankly we are probably punching slightly above our weight. So, looking at the bigger picture, yes there are positives.A few armchair managers on here need to get a bit real frankly.

[/quote]Becchio won 3/8 of his aerial duals today, so i wouldnt really say it was any more or less based on Holts 0/6 v QPR (Samba is a beast) and his 3/3 v Spurs. I dont think he has Holt''s presence but would work well with someone else up top.I felt for Becchio today. The service was poor. Which takes me back to my OP regarding creativity and build up...............[/quote]I answered those points in my post though, we are work in progress, and all things considered we are punching above our weight.All about the bigger picture and having a bit of perspective.We would have lost this game last season, in my opinion.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="morty"][quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="morty"]Hughtons job is to make sure we are in the Premier league next year, and I think we will be.We are making the most of the players we have on the books right now, and when we get another big bag of money in the summer, we will make a few more quality signings, and progress a bit further.Some of you really need to stop panicing, I saw lots of posatives in todays game.[/quote]i cant disagree Morty, but clean sheet aside, what were the positives? Any attacking ones?[/quote]Well firstly, I shall point out the lone striker role is an extremely one not only to play, but to look good playing. Becchio actually won more headers today that Holt normally does for starters. The manager has already said he intended to play Holt and Becchio today, but was forced into last minute changes due to the late injury, so all things considered, Becchio did an adequate job.Wes was frankly unplayable at times, and Snodgrass was excellent. Bennet had an okay game, I''m not convinced by him, and he is way behind Pilks in my opinion.Fulham came here with a similar game plan to ours, and we cancelled each other out for long periods, but I think if you check (I haven''t) we had more shots on goal than them.Also before the game I was pondering the Fulham team, and frankly, most neutrals would have heard of virtually their whole team, they are all seasoned Prem campaigners.We are a small club, we have no financial backing outside of what every other team gets, and frankly we are probably punching slightly above our weight. So, looking at the bigger picture, yes there are positives.A few armchair managers on here need to get a bit real frankly.

[/quote]Becchio won 3/8 of his aerial duals today, so i wouldnt really say it was any more or less based on Holts 0/6 v QPR (Samba is a beast) and his 3/3 v Spurs. I dont think he has Holt''s presence but would work well with someone else up top.I felt for Becchio today. The service was poor. Which takes me back to my OP regarding creativity and build up...............[/quote]I answered those points in my post though, we are work in progress, and all things considered we are punching above our weight.All about the bigger picture and having a bit of perspective.We would have lost this game last season, in my opinion.[/quote]Whereas i think last year we would have had at least 4 points from the last 2 games. Both games were crying out for changes and we saw little activity from the sideline.

This thread (and many others like it tonight) is not about being armchair managers or expressing that we know better than a professional like CH, it is simply an outpuring of growing frustration that we are simply grinding our way to what would normally be a low total to stay up. It is quite reasonable for fans that have been bred on attacking football to be a bit unhappy about our current sequence. This does not mean we are all doom mongers who know best - after all this forum is an outlet for expressing opinions or feelings. Nobody should feel the right that they can tell someone that they are wrong about their feelings and we should recognise that (as with most other teams) there is a range between super optimists and super pessimists. There are no rights and wrongs, but there is evidently a growing anxiety that we are not fighting for our lives like say Southampton and Reading are.

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="morty"][quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="morty"][quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="morty"]Hughtons job is to make sure we are in the Premier league next year, and I think we will be.We are making the most of the players we have on the books right now, and when we get another big bag of money in the summer, we will make a few more quality signings, and progress a bit further.Some of you really need to stop panicing, I saw lots of posatives in todays game.[/quote]i cant disagree Morty, but clean sheet aside, what were the positives? Any attacking ones?[/quote]Well firstly, I shall point out the lone striker role is an extremely one not only to play, but to look good playing. Becchio actually won more headers today that Holt normally does for starters. The manager has already said he intended to play Holt and Becchio today, but was forced into last minute changes due to the late injury, so all things considered, Becchio did an adequate job.Wes was frankly unplayable at times, and Snodgrass was excellent. Bennet had an okay game, I''m not convinced by him, and he is way behind Pilks in my opinion.Fulham came here with a similar game plan to ours, and we cancelled each other out for long periods, but I think if you check (I haven''t) we had more shots on goal than them.Also before the game I was pondering the Fulham team, and frankly, most neutrals would have heard of virtually their whole team, they are all seasoned Prem campaigners.We are a small club, we have no financial backing outside of what every other team gets, and frankly we are probably punching slightly above our weight. So, looking at the bigger picture, yes there are positives.A few armchair managers on here need to get a bit real frankly.

[/quote]Becchio won 3/8 of his aerial duals today, so i wouldnt really say it was any more or less based on Holts 0/6 v QPR (Samba is a beast) and his 3/3 v Spurs. I dont think he has Holt''s presence but would work well with someone else up top.I felt for Becchio today. The service was poor. Which takes me back to my OP regarding creativity and build up...............[/quote]I answered those points in my post though, we are work in progress, and all things considered we are punching above our weight.All about the bigger picture and having a bit of perspective.We would have lost this game last season, in my opinion.[/quote]Whereas i think last year we would have had at least 4 points from the last 2 games. Both games were crying out for changes and we saw little activity from the sideline.[/quote]But there is no point in making a change for changes sake, if we don''t have a player on the bench that can come on and make a difference, then the manager''s hands are tied somewhat. Whereas I think that our squad is improving all the time, we really don''t have the luxury yet of having amazing players warming the bench.I shall hold Simeon up as an example of this. There was utterly no point whatsoever in bringing him on today.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="morty"][quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="morty"][quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="morty"]Hughtons job is to make sure we are in the Premier league next year, and I think we will be.We are making the most of the players we have on the books right now, and when we get another big bag of money in the summer, we will make a few more quality signings, and progress a bit further.Some of you really need to stop panicing, I saw lots of posatives in todays game.[/quote]i cant disagree Morty, but clean sheet aside, what were the positives? Any attacking ones?[/quote]Well firstly, I shall point out the lone striker role is an extremely one not only to play, but to look good playing. Becchio actually won more headers today that Holt normally does for starters. The manager has already said he intended to play Holt and Becchio today, but was forced into last minute changes due to the late injury, so all things considered, Becchio did an adequate job.Wes was frankly unplayable at times, and Snodgrass was excellent. Bennet had an okay game, I''m not convinced by him, and he is way behind Pilks in my opinion.Fulham came here with a similar game plan to ours, and we cancelled each other out for long periods, but I think if you check (I haven''t) we had more shots on goal than them.Also before the game I was pondering the Fulham team, and frankly, most neutrals would have heard of virtually their whole team, they are all seasoned Prem campaigners.We are a small club, we have no financial backing outside of what every other team gets, and frankly we are probably punching slightly above our weight. So, looking at the bigger picture, yes there are positives.A few armchair managers on here need to get a bit real frankly.

[/quote]Becchio won 3/8 of his aerial duals today, so i wouldnt really say it was any more or less based on Holts 0/6 v QPR (Samba is a beast) and his 3/3 v Spurs. I dont think he has Holt''s presence but would work well with someone else up top.I felt for Becchio today. The service was poor. Which takes me back to my OP regarding creativity and build up...............[/quote]I answered those points in my post though, we are work in progress, and all things considered we are punching above our weight.All about the bigger picture and having a bit of perspective.We would have lost this game last season, in my opinion.[/quote]Whereas i think last year we would have had at least 4 points from the last 2 games. Both games were crying out for changes and we saw little activity from the sideline.[/quote]But there is no point in making a change for changes sake, if we don''t have a player on the bench that can come on and make a difference, then the manager''s hands are tied somewhat. Whereas I think that our squad is improving all the time, we really don''t have the luxury yet of having amazing players warming the bench.I shall hold Simeon up as an example of this. There was utterly no point whatsoever in bringing him on today.[/quote]Completely agree but bringing Becchio on earlier last week would have helped. Him and Holt up top would surely of held the ball up a bit more than we did.A guy in front of me said about bringing Kamara on at HT today, saying he would lift the fans. How could he see that? When KK came on (he should have got a lot longer) he added energy and enthusiasm. The fans were lifted. I dont think they would have been changes for the sake of it.

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="morty"][quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="morty"][quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="morty"][quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="morty"]Hughtons job is to make sure we are in the Premier league next year, and I think we will be.We are making the most of the players we have on the books right now, and when we get another big bag of money in the summer, we will make a few more quality signings, and progress a bit further.Some of you really need to stop panicing, I saw lots of posatives in todays game.[/quote]i cant disagree Morty, but clean sheet aside, what were the positives? Any attacking ones?[/quote]Well firstly, I shall point out the lone striker role is an extremely one not only to play, but to look good playing. Becchio actually won more headers today that Holt normally does for starters. The manager has already said he intended to play Holt and Becchio today, but was forced into last minute changes due to the late injury, so all things considered, Becchio did an adequate job.Wes was frankly unplayable at times, and Snodgrass was excellent. Bennet had an okay game, I''m not convinced by him, and he is way behind Pilks in my opinion.Fulham came here with a similar game plan to ours, and we cancelled each other out for long periods, but I think if you check (I haven''t) we had more shots on goal than them.Also before the game I was pondering the Fulham team, and frankly, most neutrals would have heard of virtually their whole team, they are all seasoned Prem campaigners.We are a small club, we have no financial backing outside of what every other team gets, and frankly we are probably punching slightly above our weight. So, looking at the bigger picture, yes there are positives.A few armchair managers on here need to get a bit real frankly.

[/quote]Becchio won 3/8 of his aerial duals today, so i wouldnt really say it was any more or less based on Holts 0/6 v QPR (Samba is a beast) and his 3/3 v Spurs. I dont think he has Holt''s presence but would work well with someone else up top.I felt for Becchio today. The service was poor. Which takes me back to my OP regarding creativity and build up...............[/quote]I answered those points in my post though, we are work in progress, and all things considered we are punching above our weight.All about the bigger picture and having a bit of perspective.We would have lost this game last season, in my opinion.[/quote]Whereas i think last year we would have had at least 4 points from the last 2 games. Both games were crying out for changes and we saw little activity from the sideline.[/quote]But there is no point in making a change for changes sake, if we don''t have a player on the bench that can come on and make a difference, then the manager''s hands are tied somewhat. Whereas I think that our squad is improving all the time, we really don''t have the luxury yet of having amazing players warming the bench.I shall hold Simeon up as an example of this. There was utterly no point whatsoever in bringing him on today.[/quote]Completely agree but bringing Becchio on earlier last week would have helped. Him and Holt up top would surely of held the ball up a bit more than we did.A guy in front of me said about bringing Kamara on at HT today, saying he would lift the fans. How could he see that? When KK came on (he should have got a lot longer) he added energy and enthusiasm. The fans were lifted. I dont think they would have been changes for the sake of it.[/quote]Or playing two strikers away from home last week could mean we have one less point than we have now?Only Hughton knows how fit KK is, and I believe his original intention was not to use him at all today, but his hand was forced by Holt''s late injury.Like I said before, we are having to cut our cloth accordingly. Now if we are being as cautious this time next season, then I will be starting to question tactics, but the number one priority is to stay in this league, so we can progress and improve the squad over the summer, and I think Hughton will do that.

Yes, the manager has to work with the players that he has got, but we have 25 players and the manger controls what system we play as well as any player motivation skills. For me, one of our issues is that we have become incrediby predictable in terms of our system and first 11. One of Lambert''s strengths was that he would chop and change the syatem and players, which would keep the opposition on their toes as well as generating helathy competition in the squad. I dont actually think Hughton is doing a bad job and I am actually happy-ish with our league position, but to pretend that we coudl not be playing better and that there are no alternatives is a bit disingenuos in my opinion.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="morty"][quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="morty"][quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="morty"][quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="morty"]Hughtons job is to make sure we are in the Premier league next year, and I think we will be.We are making the most of the players we have on the books right now, and when we get another big bag of money in the summer, we will make a few more quality signings, and progress a bit further.Some of you really need to stop panicing, I saw lots of posatives in todays game.[/quote]i cant disagree Morty, but clean sheet aside, what were the positives? Any attacking ones?[/quote]Well firstly, I shall point out the lone striker role is an extremely one not only to play, but to look good playing. Becchio actually won more headers today that Holt normally does for starters. The manager has already said he intended to play Holt and Becchio today, but was forced into last minute changes due to the late injury, so all things considered, Becchio did an adequate job.Wes was frankly unplayable at times, and Snodgrass was excellent. Bennet had an okay game, I''m not convinced by him, and he is way behind Pilks in my opinion.Fulham came here with a similar game plan to ours, and we cancelled each other out for long periods, but I think if you check (I haven''t) we had more shots on goal than them.Also before the game I was pondering the Fulham team, and frankly, most neutrals would have heard of virtually their whole team, they are all seasoned Prem campaigners.We are a small club, we have no financial backing outside of what every other team gets, and frankly we are probably punching slightly above our weight. So, looking at the bigger picture, yes there are positives.A few armchair managers on here need to get a bit real frankly.

[/quote]Becchio won 3/8 of his aerial duals today, so i wouldnt really say it was any more or less based on Holts 0/6 v QPR (Samba is a beast) and his 3/3 v Spurs. I dont think he has Holt''s presence but would work well with someone else up top.I felt for Becchio today. The service was poor. Which takes me back to my OP regarding creativity and build up...............[/quote]I answered those points in my post though, we are work in progress, and all things considered we are punching above our weight.All about the bigger picture and having a bit of perspective.We would have lost this game last season, in my opinion.[/quote]Whereas i think last year we would have had at least 4 points from the last 2 games. Both games were crying out for changes and we saw little activity from the sideline.[/quote]But there is no point in making a change for changes sake, if we don''t have a player on the bench that can come on and make a difference, then the manager''s hands are tied somewhat. Whereas I think that our squad is improving all the time, we really don''t have the luxury yet of having amazing players warming the bench.I shall hold Simeon up as an example of this. There was utterly no point whatsoever in bringing him on today.[/quote]Completely agree but bringing Becchio on earlier last week would have helped. Him and Holt up top would surely of held the ball up a bit more than we did.A guy in front of me said about bringing Kamara on at HT today, saying he would lift the fans. How could he see that? When KK came on (he should have got a lot longer) he added energy and enthusiasm. The fans were lifted. I dont think they would have been changes for the sake of it.[/quote]Or playing two strikers away from home last week could mean we have one less point than we have now?Only Hughton knows how fit KK is, and I believe his original intention was not to use him at all today, but his hand was forced by Holt''s late injury.Like I said before, we are having to cut our cloth accordingly. Now if we are being as cautious this time next season, then I will be starting to question tactics, but the number one priority is to stay in this league, so we can progress and improve the squad over the summer, and I think Hughton will do that.[/quote]or 2 more points [;)] i agree with the latter points re tactics next year. I just hope we add qulity in the summer as you cant knock his purchases.

[quote user="Desert Fox"] One of Lambert''s strengths was that he would chop and change the syatem and players, which would keep the opposition on their toes as well as generating helathy competition in the squad. I dont actually think Hughton is doing a bad job and I am actually happy-ish with our league position, but to pretend that we coudl not be playing better and that there are no alternatives is a bit disingenuos in my opinion.[/quote]amen

[quote user="canarygirl"]Getting the point at LR was the most important thing last week, we were never going to risk that.[/quote]I think 2 forwards should have happened a lot earlier than it did. Was right to start with one, but giving becchio 3 mins was crazy!

Canary Girl,Agreed re QPR, but I hope that we dont regret not testing weak Fulham and Newcastle teams more at FCR. To put into context, I think that Pardew and Jol will be relatively chuffed with their 1 point relative to their form trajectory.

To CUSDP ( The quotes are getting too long lol)I take your point, but I would rather take one point than none away at QPR right now.The main thing for me here is that we are having to take baby steps, we can''t afford to go out and spend a fortune, so our work in progress may seem slow and painful, but we have no choice.Unless of course you want a foreign sugar daddy, and thats a whole other debate!!

D F I believe what the manager said today and if Holty had not been crocked I think we would have played 2 up front and that Beccio and Holty may well have won it for us. Our squad is unfortunately thin and the team he ended up putting out was probably the right one.

Morty,I think most reasonable fans would agree about QPR away, what is more concerning is our home form. I think part of our problem is that we have too settled a first 11, which means whenever key players are not available (Ruddy, Holt and particularly Bassong) we dont look like the same side. We have been incredibly lucky that our only two DMs have remained injury free, because whenever we play Howson in the middle, we look two open in the middle. So yes, CH has to make best use of what he has, but I still cant help feeling that we have suffered from a lack of rotation and too rigid a systmen, which means that firnge squad players look like rabbits in the headlights when they get their 90 minutes. if we stay up, one of the key issues that we need to address (if we are to stick to our rigid system) is that we need viable replacement players that can play to this system. I  was amazed that we didnt seek to strengthen our DM position in the window, because after the striker position, this is the area where we seem most exposed in terms of cover. God help us if BJ and AT get injured.

Canary Girl,Ok then, here''s looking forward to the Everton game, where subject to fitness, CH will make the bold move of changing our system. If so, I genuinely both looking forward and anxious!!Does anyone have an opinion about who will lose out if we play two strikers and how the hell we are going to accomodate Wes in this sytem (4-3-3?)

[quote user="Desert Fox"]Morty,I think most reasonable fans would agree about QPR away, what is more concerning is our home form. I think part of our problem is that we have too settled a first 11, which means whenever key players are not available (Ruddy, Holt and particularly Bassong) we dont look like the same side. We have been incredibly lucky that our only two DMs have remained injury free, because whenever we play Howson in the middle, we look two open in the middle. So yes, CH has to make best use of what he has, but I still cant help feeling that we have suffered from a lack of rotation and too rigid a systmen, which means that firnge squad players look like rabbits in the headlights when they get their 90 minutes. if we stay up, one of the key issues that we need to address (if we are to stick to our rigid system) is that we need viable replacement players that can play to this system. I  was amazed that we didnt seek to strengthen our DM position in the window, because after the striker position, this is the area where we seem most exposed in terms of cover. God help us if BJ and AT get injured.[/quote]But this is all covered by my earlier points regarding the squad being work in progress, and our limitations in being able to do it quickly, mainly because we don''t have the money to.The fact is that there are a fair few players in our squad that simply aren''t good enough for the premiership, so the manager has limited choices to make. Theres no point rotating players in that aren''t good enough, players like Fox and Surman being examples.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Morty, but why were those players good enough last year? Again it goes back to a different formation and how it would suit our squad. [/quote]We got lucky is the answer. We were a surprise package, we had the momentum of two successive promotions behind us.We wouldn''t have got away with the barnstorming tactics again this season.

Morty,I really dont think we are a long way apart in our views, but I think the main difference is that we have players in our squad (like Fox and Surman who you have mentioned) that dont fit into our system. They have not suddenly become bad players overnight, although when thrust into roles that dont suit their style, I would admit they have looked poor. I guess what I am trying to say is that I am not 100% convinced that the system we play is not the only system available to us. This feels a bit like a chicken and egg debate, because I am sure that the counter argument is that CH only plays this sytem because of the limitations of the players that he has available. Even so, I still think CH has done an accepatble job edging us forward to the promised land of £75M p.a. Sky money with the one proviso that the club has advanced plans to recruit sufficient players and in depth to play whatever system the manager prefers. I reiterate that, if we lose BJ and AT for the same game, we will get murdered playing this system.

[quote user="Desert Fox"]Morty,I really dont think we are a long way apart in our views, but I think the main difference is that we have players in our squad (like Fox and Surman who you have mentioned) that dont fit into our system. They have not suddenly become bad players overnight, although when thrust into roles that dont suit their style, I would admit they have looked poor. I guess what I am trying to say is that I am not 100% convinced that the system we play is not the only system available to us. This feels a bit like a chicken and egg debate, because I am sure that the counter argument is that CH only plays this sytem because of the limitations of the players that he has available. Even so, I still think CH has done an accepatble job edging us forward to the promised land of £75M p.a. Sky money with the one proviso that the club has advanced plans to recruit sufficient players and in depth to play whatever system the manager prefers. I reiterate that, if we lose BJ and AT for the same game, we will get murdered playing this system.[/quote]brilliant post! [Y]

[quote user="Desert Fox"]Morty,I really dont think we are a long way apart in our views, but I think the main difference is that we have players in our squad (like Fox and Surman who you have mentioned) that dont fit into our system. They have not suddenly become bad players overnight, although when thrust into roles that dont suit their style, I would admit they have looked poor. I guess what I am trying to say is that I am not 100% convinced that the system we play is not the only system available to us. This feels a bit like a chicken and egg debate, because I am sure that the counter argument is that CH only plays this sytem because of the limitations of the players that he has available. Even so, I still think CH has done an accepatble job edging us forward to the promised land of £75M p.a. Sky money with the one proviso that the club has advanced plans to recruit sufficient players and in depth to play whatever system the manager prefers. I reiterate that, if we lose BJ and AT for the same game, we will get murdered playing this system.[/quote]No, we''re not far apart at all.I suspect every manager has a preferred system, and the one we are playing just now is particularly "fashionable" with a fair few top flight teams.Hughton came in and had to take a lot of players that he didn''t buy, and fit them into the system he wants to play.Lambert had the advantage of taking over a team and building from the ground up.Yeah, I agree, we need a lot more quality in those positions, and a few more besides.

I''m with Ricardo and Morty on this. If we were where QPRse are, no-one would give a **** about anything but picking up points. People are only whinging because Hughton has put us in a relatively comfortable position.