Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

Defending

I don''t want to criticise the team or defence too much as I think for 70% of the time we defend OK. 

All I want to point out is that I would like to see the opposition do a lot more to score against us.  For how well West Brom played Saturday, both of their goals were preventable.  I don''t want to see us play with 11 men behind the ball but I would like think that our opponents have had to do something a little creative to make opportunities against us.

Why oh why do we never leave someone up the pitch when defending corners,and why oh why are we surprised after the aimless hoof up the pitch that we get the ball shoved back down our throats.1 up takes at least 2 opposition out of the equasion.

Couldn''t agree more!

The defence is old, slow, and lacks concentration at times and gets out of position. Week after week we see goals from defensive errors. On Saturday we seemed to be defending against set pieces, but there were two defensive errors that led to the goals and there could have been another except that Green blocked Campbell''s shot.

What we do about it is another matter. I feel that Shackle is quick enough and tall enough to offer a better prospect. He struggled at left back, but he did well last year against Earnshaw in the centre! Doherty may be improving, and he is good in the air, but he makes too many errors. Flem is whole hearted, but struggles at times.

Even if we are relegated, I feel that we shall need new defenders in the lower division if we are not to leak too many goals again.

Good point Nolegs.

And it should be Hux - his attacking threat far outweighs his defensive capability - I would expect the defending team to stand 3 men down given his reputation.

[quote]Why oh why do we never leave someone up the pitch when defending corners,and why oh why are we surprised after the aimless hoof up the pitch that we get the ball shoved back down our throats.1 up take...[/quote]

Absolutely spot on, Nolegs. I have often pondered this myself. I also think the reason we invite pressure on is because we defend so deep.

[quote]Why oh why do we never leave someone up the pitch when defending corners,and why oh why are we surprised after the aimless hoof up the pitch that we get the ball shoved back down our throats.1 up take...[/quote]

Great point

The majority of goals scored in any game are preventable in hindsight. We just have to live with the fact that we''ve stepped into a division where one slip can cost you