Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

How many of our players would any other premiership club want

A good and harsh exercise in considering where we are and where we need to go. To me the list is modest Ruddy, Bassong, Turner [ possible] Snodgrass and Holt [ last year but probably not now] and possibly Pilkington

Wouldn''t be at all surprised if there were teams in the league who would be interested in Hoolahan, Howson, Johnson and Tettey if they were available.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Ruddy, Bassomg, Pilkington. Possibly Snodgrass and Holt may be of interest to say a play-0ff team.[/quote]

Presumably that is League 1 play-offs?

[|-)]

Snodders has been the star this season.

There are not many, but Wes, Snodders, Bassong, Ruddy and Pilks, the rest I don''t think would even be looked at by anyone else, in my opinion.

As much as I like Holt, Tettey, Johnson and Garrido, I don''t think any other club would make an offer on them to strengthen their team.

The rest are only squad players at our club and will be replaced over time by better players the longer we stay in this league.

I think there are a few who would get into other premiership squads. Bassong, Ruddy, Tettey, Snodgrass, Pilkington, Holt, Hoolahan, maybe Turner, Garrido and probably Whittaker.

Which of those would be in any other starting XI in the prem? Quite a few less. Ruddy and Bassong. Probably Snodgrass and Garrido. Maybe Hoolahan.

If league position is anything to go by there must be 6 teams that would be interested in taking our whole squad... [:P]

On a serious note though, as people have said above, just Bassong, Snodders and Ruddy for top half teams really. Holt would fit into most teams playing 2 up top so I''ll add him to my list aswell.

I think all of our squad have proved they can play at this level,

Tettey hasn''t been great lately. At one point he was labelled as better than Tiote because he can score goals. Not sure that''s true at all. Or at least we haven''t seen any evidence yet.

Thought he was poor on Saturday and sometimes gets simple passes completely wrong.

For me Ruddy, Bassong, Garrido, Pilkington and Snodgrass could start Premiership games at other clubs. I think other PL clubs would have interest in Holt but only as a backup.

Not many! Ruddy for certain, and probably Bassong, and possibly Snodgrass.

Of the rest Holt seems to have shown that last year was something of a fluke, Pilkington is too inconsistent. Johnson and Tettey are good hatchet men but little more. Turner possibly would be wanted, as he has had experience, but it is difficult to see many of the others being in high demand by Premiership clubs.

This was always the case, and continues, that as a team we have have had no player with sufficient skill and pace to be a match winner on his own almost. We have succeeded by collective effort, which may explain why we are struggling to dominate at the moment and why we badly need one or two "big" match winners in the summer.

I think most of our starting 11 would be wanted by most teams in the bottom half of the table.  Whether they''d get in the starting lineup is a non-question really as it depends on who they already have in that position.

The problem though with this thread is that if you look at the QPR squad as individuals, many more of them would be classed as "players that other prem clubs would want" than for many of the teams above QPR in the table (well, obviously all prem teams are above them...).

To be fair i made the post not from a point of view of criticising what we have but being somewhat of a marker as to where we may strengthen in the future. I also totally accept that team ethic goes a long way. I do look at Southampton as a good example of a club who seems to have quite a lot of players who would certainly get into our side in particular lambert and Lallana

[quote user="Shankslad"]

Bit of a silly question - I reckon about eight of them at the right price

Does that answer the question adequately?

[/quote]

Agree with the silliness of the question

Don''t know what the OP is trying to get at - we are where we are! The best we can do is try and support the squad we have - not try to cause divisions between the players! 

This is quite a strange question but if, as many posters seem to think, only a few of our players would be wanted that must mean that it is the teamwork which has achieved the position in the league ....... and that must be down to the manager!

I think under both lambert and Hughton we have achieved more as a collective than the individual quality of the team may have been expected to achieve. On the other hand i feel the exact reverse can be said of QPR, looking at many of their players they would have been expected to be much higher up the league. This does show the importance of a balance in a team between out and out ability and character which can go a long way.  That said when we are looking to improve year on year it does help suggest the areas where we need to strengthen given that we normally bring in 6 or so new faces each summer. If we got relegated and i do not think we will then that would be a game changer with wholesale changes in playing staff and possibly management

If hypothetically we were to be relegated this board would go into a meltdown of worry as to who would be off. So probably most, if not all, of the starting eleven is the likely answer.

However the question for me is more who would command a substantial fee. Circa £10m upwards. John Ruddy maybe and that''s about it. Being able to cash in on a big fee is a crucial way for a club like ours to be able to be able to strengthen the squad overall. Indeed clubs above us do it. For instance Everton, who possibly have a transfer budget no bigger than ours, funded their summer acquisitions from the sale of Jack Rodwell.

If we are to survive long term in the premiership we do do need to be able to develop players who can command huge fees, even if it means we only get to enjoy them for a season or two before the big boys come up with an offer we can not refuse.

OTBC

Good post, I would agree with most of that! I would say Ruddy, Bunn, Bassong, Whittaker, BJ, Hoolahan, Snodgrass, (possibly) Pilkington and Holt.