Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

Real Madrid v Manchester United

[quote user="swindoncanary"]What result would you guys like tonight ? bearing in mind, that the return leg is the match after us.[/quote]I don''t think that the result will affect the team they put out against us.I''d like them to win, am really looking forward to the game.

To be honest, I think we''re more likely to get a result against a strong United side, as they potentially could be more prone to complacency, although after losing to us already can''t really see that. So actually pretty irrelevant, two results against United in a season is near impossible for any team. Plus they haven''t lost a league game since you know when, would be quite amusing if we did beat them again for that fact alone, but yeah Fergie won''t let that happen.

[quote user="swindoncanary"]What result would you guys like tonight ? [/quote]As long as it is entertaining I couldn''t care less about the result. How anyone can sit and watch a match between two of the biggest clubs in Europe whilst worrying about the potential effect it might have on Norwich two weeks later is beyond me. Just sit back and enjoy a proper European match.I have a feeling Real will win tonight but United will get an away goal. Think Real will go through as I reckon Mourinho is destined to beat Barca in the final before leaving in the summer.  

I''ve got a cheeky couple of shillings on Man Utd at nearly 5/1 should compensate for my disappointment should the Mancs steal a win.  If it were down to me I''d like to see a decent Madrid win then a matching Man Utd win in the return leg with extra time and pens and much whining about fixture congestion from Fergie in his post Norwich interviews.

I said to my United supporting friend that Real Madrid are out of form, I can''t see why they would suddenly gear up and play better than they have all season. I''m going for a rather comfortable United win on that basis. 3-0? 

I would love United to win, and fly the flag for Britain. Despite Chelsea winning it last year, we haven''t do so good in Europe lately!

As a Liverpudlian I have no love whatever for Manchester Clubs BUT in European competition all British teams will have my total support.   So tonight, and for one night only folks, United have my support albeit through gritted teeth!!!

I''m not sure that I buy into the whole "Support the English Club" in Europe. I mean, I could never get behind Ipswich Town and hope for them to beat anyone.

However, on this occasion I think I would like Manchester United to win the tie, but with all to play for come the second leg. With the league seemingly in the bag, another focus for them could help us and I''ll happily take any little inkling of help against them!

I think it''s a bit different to compare it to a local rivalry like ours to Ipswich, I could never back them ever either.

But I''ll back other clubs.

This game should be a cracker for the neutral anyway!

I would like the result to be left in the balance to maximise the distraction for Man U when we go to OT.  A narrow RM win would do.  I agree that it would be amazing for us to get a result over ManU twice in one season but they are the sort of team that it is not impossible, so anything that helps.  Yes I know that they could rest some players when they play us and still have a top team but all things considered I''d rather face a weaker ManU team with other things on their mind.

Generally I will always support an English team in Europe but obviously I make an exception for 1p5wich (if it''s ever relevant).  There are so many ManU fans where I work whose "support" for ManU is limited to watching them on TV and bragging about it when they win, so I also prefer them to do badly in Europe.

Also I am underwhelmed by the CL since the group stage expanded and it just goes on and on, by this point of the season I''ve lost interest.  So everyone who is anticipating a cracker, hope it is a good game for you with RM winning by a goal or two, but I''ll be out tonight and not watching it.

You can just call me Scrooge !

Nice to see Danny Welbeck score in such a massive game considering a few weeks ago when the "possibility" of getting him on loan here was discussed there was a few people who didn''t think he was good enough for us.

Disappointed the Mancs didn''t get stuffed. They''re streets ahead of anything else in the Premier League and Ferguson''s still whinging about having to play last Sunday. I''m sure he thinks his team should have special rules just for them because they''re Man Utd. The sooner a European League is created the better so we can all see the back of them.I''m no lover of Real Madrid or Ronaldo but I hope they both have a blinder at Old Trafford, I really do.

....and Smith must score; what would the implications of a European league be on the Prem?

As far as I can see, most of the TV rights money would go - Sky wouldn''t be forking out this much money for Norwich v Fulham games when they can be taking their money to the European League. The majority of foreign interest in the prem would go, the Asian TV market etc. is mainly interested in the Man Utd and Chelsea elements, not the Norwich Citys and the Wigans.

So you''ll end up with a group of teams with far less money, far worse players because we can''t afford the wages all competing against each other.

A couple of rich owners come along and buy out a couple of prem sides - so you''ve got 2 prem sides with mega rich owners, and the other 18 with far, far less money than they had before (because the TV rights have reduced significantly).

So how does that help the English game, other than creating a "new" set of Man Utd/Chelsea/City teams, but with worse players?

[quote user="Aggy"]....and Smith must score; what would the implications of a European league be on the Prem? [/quote]Who knows for certain but NCFC and football would survive as it always has.It''s teams like Man Utd who''ve done more than most to create the current mess called the Premier League anyway.