Sign in to follow this  
DannyNCFC7

season tickets

If you''re complaining about the whole of England then our academy cannot have been an unmitigated disaster over the last 10 years. Three other things : -

Surely EPPP addresses some of your main concerns.

The reason why we picked up boys like Korey Smith ex Arsenal and George Francomb ex Spurs when they were older was because these clubs had released them. I presume their clubs released them to make romm for the youngsters who could join from Europe at that age. We couldn''t have had them earlier because of the FA rules. It''s the way our club had to operate which is why EPPP could be such a good thing.

You''d be hard pressed to name a team of Norfolk born players who have played in the Premier League ever.

You hit the nail on the head. Are you really telling me there were no boys from Norfolk / Suffolk / Cambridgeshire that we could not have developed into premiership footballers ? Dion Dublin, John Ruddy and Jack Wilshire were in our catchment area.

EPP was the way forward but ala Barca and Bayern ie only one academy in England for the best elite kids. Nothing has changed at Norwich and will not untill European coaches take control of the younger kids ( 7 and upwards ) or the next lot of coaches from our kids that are presently 8 and 9 years old begin coaching purely on a development basis and not a win at all costs when you are seven. English coaches ( in the main ) at present do not even understand why somebody born in say July 2004 is not as fast as somebody born in September 2003. The academies refused to adopt the age rules that every other country adopt so kids born after oct / nov in an academic year are just ignored.

To have an academy we need a stable premiership team we could not afford it in the championship. To get that premiership team we need to invest in our squad until they are established. If the money that we overpaid on our season tickets in league 1 had been put into the academy rather than Grant Holt I fear we would be a championship side at best. Surely it is upto the club to invest in academies. For what ever reason they told you via the money you used to raise fans money was no longer required.    

"You''d be hard pressed to name a team of Norfolk born players who have played in the Premier League ever"There''s probably more than you think...Danny MillsMatthew UpsonChris SuttonRyan JarvisChris Martin (Beccles, technically Suffolk but close enough)Ruel Fox (Suffolk)Daryl Sutch (Suffolk)I''m sure there are others.As for season ticket renewal... I''ve been a season ticket holder for 20 years now.  I almost gave it up in 2000 when Bryan Hamilton was in-charge.  I stuck with it and we went on to have some fantastic seasons under Worthington.  I nearly gave it up again under Roeder but I didn''t want to be accused of being a fair weather supporter and when we were relegated to League One I felt I should support the club when they needed the money most.I almost gave it up the season we finished 2nd in the Championship under Lambert, but again I felt compelled to renew - it''s almost like an addiction.  I''m seriously considering not renewing this time though.  For me, it isn''t a financial reason, the money has been sitting there all year in it''s virtual pot ready to renew.  It isn''t to do with our current style of play either.Over the last 20 years I feel I''ve been there and seen it all.  Europe, three relegations, two championships, three promotions and a play-off final.  The whole match day experience is starting to not ''do it'' for me anymore.  I used to thrive on the whole match day experience.  When we scored,  it was the best feeling in the world.  These days, instead of jumping up and down and shouting at the top of my voice, I feel like shrugging my shoulders instead.  The atmosphere at Carrow Road is very poor in the last couple of seasons, certainly nothing like it was in 2005-6 or for that matter, 2009-10.I travel to Norwich five days a week for work, round trip 40 miles.  To have to go again every other Saturday, getting stuck in traffic and effectively eating up 1pm to 6pm of my Saturday just for a 90 minute home game and I''m starting to question why I bother any more.In my 20 years as a season ticket holder I haven''t missed many home games.  I did miss 4 games in December though, for a number of reasons and hand on heart, I can honestly say that while I was listening on the radio I didn''t think ''I wish I was there''.  Instead, all I felt was relief at the final whistle that I was already home, had saved about 5 hours of my Saturday for other things and hadn''t sat there in the freezing cold.Although I''m not yet 40, I wonder if I am just turning into a miserable old git?  I sometimes think I would appreciate it more if I went less often and perhaps became a casual supporter.  It wouldn''t make me any less of a fan, it just means I wouldn''t have to trudge to the ground every other week.  I''m also tempted to think what else I could spend that £500 on!  it''s not as if I couldn''t watch every game for free on the internet anyway.I suspect as the first deadline nears, when push comes to shove I will renew because I always have done.  It''s like an addiction and something lures you in.  The other factor to consider is that if I do give up my seat, the chances of getting another one are quite slim (at least until the ground is extended).Maybe I should renew then sell the ticket to mates on a match-by-match basis if I don''t want to go to them all, that way I get the best of both worlds.  Decisions....decisions....

As you widen it there is more. But it''s an interesting subject that I''ve looked at off and on since Roeders comments about Tom Adeyemi''s signing and Norfolk born players at his famous "I missed your tenure" AGM. Norfolk born players who have played for Norwich in the top division since 1972 : -

Max Briggs - Bramerton

Steve Goble - Erpingham

Dale Gordon - Caister

Trevor Howard - Kings Lynn

Ryan Jarvis - Fakenham

Phil Lythgoe - Norwich

Peter Mendham - Kings Lynn

Danny Mills - Norwich

Clive Payne - Aylsham

Dave Stringer - Great Yarmouth

Richard Symonds - Langham

Clive Woods - Norwich

Sad I know but if anybody knows some I''ve missed please tell me. It''s interesting because I think Roeder was right but I have never worked out why it is.

Thanks Canarygirl.

You can see that I wrote my list a while ago.

Another thing I have asked before. Jed''s father Jeremy was on City''s books in 1981. Was he also a goalkeeper?

[quote user="Cambridgeyellow"]

[quote user="morty"]Hmmmm, just actually read my renewal paperwork after working away for a while, and I had till January 31st to opt out of the academy donation.Not saying I would have, but a bit cheeky automatically opting you in to it.[/quote]

Thats interesting did not know that. Plan to renew ours next week and will be insisting on opting out. Will have to think seriously about all 8 of our tickets if we are made to pay it. Would love to see where that was highlighted in all the initial announcements.

By the way for those who then scream unloyal ect I would happily donate the £19.00 to a Hughton help to sign Hooper fund.

[/quote]The 31st January cut-off date only applied if you wanted to to pay by direct debit. If you''re planning on lumping all the cash up front and it doesn''t apply.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Cambridgeyellow"]

[quote user="morty"]Hmmmm, just actually read my renewal paperwork after working away for a while, and I had till January 31st to opt out of the academy donation.Not saying I would have, but a bit cheeky automatically opting you in to it.[/quote]

Thats interesting did not know that. Plan to renew ours next week and will be insisting on opting out. Will have to think seriously about all 8 of our tickets if we are made to pay it. Would love to see where that was highlighted in all the initial announcements.

By the way for those who then scream unloyal ect I would happily donate the £19.00 to a Hughton help to sign Hooper fund.

[/quote]The 31st January cut-off date only applied if you wanted to to pay by direct debit. If you''re planning on lumping all the cash up front and it doesn''t apply.[/quote]I buy 3 season tickets, damn right I''m paying monthly lol!

Morty! We are the problem with this season ticket scam. I buy three too but get reimbursed for one of them. I reckon when you start with the grandchildren we could have a whole row between us!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Morty! We are the problem with this season ticket scam. I buy three too but get reimbursed for one of them. I reckon when you start with the grandchildren we could have a whole row between us!

[/quote]I''m not joining you in blanket boulevard![;)]

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="morty"]I buy 3 season tickets, damn right I''m paying monthly lol![/quote]Oh dear ! Forget direct debit [:D]and try the McNally Mortgage Corp. I hear they do some rather attractive 25 year deals right now [:D]

[/quote]Adds up to a grand.I have told the kids when they get to 16 they can pay for their own!

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]I renewed today with 3 and opted out of the £19 for the acadamy mainly because it has been an unmitigated disaster for about 10 years +[/quote]

I think they must just be targeting the lazy that just leave it to auto renew[Y]
[/quote]

You mean me then, LOL  

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]I renewed today with 3 and opted out of the £19 for the acadamy mainly because it has been an unmitigated disaster for about 10 years +[/quote]I think they must just be targeting the lazy that just leave it to auto renew[Y][/quote]

You mean me then, LOL  

[/quote]I have an actual excuse in that I was working in Africa for 7 weeks, and didn''t get home before the deadline.But can I be bothered to ring the club up and whine about it? No lol.