Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

We Had A Lucky Escape........

During the Roeder tenure as The Football League are planning to outlaw the situation where Watford fielded 7 loan players in a recent game v Crystal Palace.

Source BBC teletext.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

During the Roeder tenure as The Football League are planning to outlaw the situation where Watford fielded 7 loan players in a recent game v Crystal Palace.

Source BBC teletext.

[/quote]I wasn''t aware of the situation at Watford until Sky Sports mentioned it after the game.Utterly crazy loophole.

International loans should be limited to 2 so you can have 2 domestic and 2 international loans per window (Summer - Winter, Winter - Summer)

Max loans per season = 8

Watford have 11 loanees in their squad, enough to field an entire team, it is crazy.

I think that maximum of three loans at any one time, maximum two on the pitch at any one time.

Something has to be done about the culture which sees wealthy clubs collect players purely for profit.

Levy at Spurs is bad for this... he trades players like they are commodities, the 25 year old on loan to Villa was giving a contract purely on the basis that Levy believed they could make a trading profit on him.

Although I can''t personally see Jacob Butterfield playing for us, and he is being loaned out, we will probably sell him.... so perhaps we are getting involved in this game too.

Given that I think most of the players on loan at Watford are also from Udinese and Granda there is little the Football League can do to stop this from happening. All the Pozzo family have to decide is to change these "loans" to transfers. You can imagine the conversation:

Mr Pozzo (Watford owner): I am no longer allowed to loan your players so please can I buy them?

Mr Pozzo (Udinese & Granada owner): Sure you can buy them, I will sell you them for a sack of footballs. There is one condition though, that we have the first option to buy them back at any time for the price of a sack of footballs.

Mr Pozzo (Watford): Deal

Obviously there is some risk that the player may refuse to move in either direction but who is to say they can''t insert a clause in to the players contract either?

Davo

[quote user="Davo"]

Given that I think most of the players on loan at Watford are also from Udinese and Granda there is little the Football League can do to stop this from happening. All the Pozzo family have to decide is to change these "loans" to transfers. You can imagine the conversation:

Mr Pozzo (Watford owner): I am no longer allowed to loan your players so please can I buy them?

Mr Pozzo (Udinese & Granada owner): Sure you can buy them, I will sell you them for a sack of footballs. There is one condition though, that we have the first option to buy them back at any time for the price of a sack of footballs.

Mr Pozzo (Watford): Deal

Obviously there is some risk that the player may refuse to move in either direction but who is to say they can''t insert a clause in to the players contract either?

Davo

[/quote]The fact that a foreign team owner can use a British club basically as his reserves is just ludicrous.I, obviously wrongly, assumed there would be rules and safeguards preventing this situation.

I think the Newcastle thing was just a rumour and didn''t actually happen? Would have been similar, but I don''t think loans within Britain count as foreign loans though, do they?

This situation with Watford has been such for a while now, surely the issue is whether two clubs in Europe can be owned by same entity.

Imagine if watford and udinese both qualified to play in European competition, more questions than answers.

I''m not sure about this AJ, but I had a feeling even loans from Scotland counted as ''international'' loans. I''ve got a sneaky feeling it came up for us during the Roeder period (not sure who for).

[quote user="morty"]The fact that a foreign team owner can use a British club basically as his reserves is just ludicrous.I, obviously wrongly, assumed there would be rules and safeguards preventing this situation.[/quote]
Morty this is football when have there ever been safeguards and rules about ownership? Only country I know with them is Germany.
[quote user="Number 9"]This situation with Watford has been such for a while now, surely the issue is whether two clubs in Europe can be owned by same entity. Imagine if watford and udinese both qualified to play in European competition, more questions than answers.[/quote]
There would be an UEFA investigation much like Abramovich went through.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2004/aug/27/championsleague200405.championsleague
The murky thing here is that according to this next article no one knew at the time who actually owned CSKA.
http://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/923-Europe/1905-roman-knows
Murky world indeed.
I would think that giving what I have heard on the World Football phone in from an Italian journo that Watford woudl probably be withdrawn from any european competition in favour of Udinese as they are the priority.
[quote user="Aggy"]I''m not sure about this AJ, but I had a feeling even loans from Scotland counted as ''international'' loans. I''ve got a sneaky feeling it came up for us during the Roeder period (not sure who for).[/quote]
It did and the player was John Kennedy. I think we probably have Sibierski, Troy Whatshisname and Bertrand playing plus Kennedy or some other no mark loanee.
Davo