Sign in to follow this  
Blurboy1980

Hughton's glowing praise of our strikers besides...

Hmmm doesn''t give too much praise to Jackson does he??? Maybe looking into it too much.

“Becchio is somebody who needs service in and around the box. We all know what Grant (Holt) gives us inside and outside the box.

“Simeon (Jackson) is a smaller, brighter player that has a little bit of pace and Kamara is one who has that bit of pace as well and he’s very, very good in the air but he can also play in a wide position so he gives us a good option right across the front.”

Reading too much into it. Would have been much more telling if he had failed to mention Simeon at all.

I suspect that Hughton will want to give Jackson a real chance in a two man attack before writing him off, and that Norwich fans will want to do the same.

Jackson is not too dissimilar from a player that Hughton signed, played, and got the best out of at Newcastle..... Leon Best. He played Best in a two man front two.

I think Jackson will get chances in the last twelve games of this season, with his future beyond this season being dependent on who we sign. If Kai Kamara proves his worth and comes here on a permanent..... and we then sign somebody like Hooper..... then Jackson may find it time to move on.

But if Kai Kamara doesn''t earn a long term deal, then we are left with three strikers, and ideally we need four..... until we have five strikers with Jackson at fifth choice then I can''t see Hughton writing him off or palming him off.

Whilst I don''t think it is a straightforward read in this situation, if you look back at what he said in January in terms of contracts and the fact that Johnson had 18months to go but was offered a new deal - I think it is fair to say that its a bit unlikely that we will see Jackson at Carrow Road beyond the end of the season.

I think if Kamara can offer us the same pace as Jackson he will be signed and the latter released. I like Jackson, I like his attitude and his drive - but I have watched him on many occasions now and I think he does lack what it takes to make him a top striker. He needs to have a season playing regularly again in the Championship - then, and only then, will we see if he has it.

For me where he really comes short is his decision making. He can be a bit slow - where the likes of Holt and Hoolahan are almost instinctual and do not need an invitation, Jackson can appear to hesitate a lot.

I remember in the pre-season game against Parma a couple of years ago, he had two one on ones with the keeper and bottled them both. Firing straight at the keeper for one and with a curling far post shot begging he just hit it tamely to the near post where the keeper was praying he would hit it.

I have seen him do it over and over. That''s not to say he hasn''t had outstanding games for us, I just think the only thing premiership about him is his pace.

[quote user="chicken"]I just think the only thing premiership about him is his pace.[/quote]It''s certainly not his first touch.

When does Jackson''s contract expire? Summer 2014 I assume?

Would be a shame if it is Summer 2013 because he''s easily a £1m player for a Championship team.

"singupcarrowroad - "When does Jackson''s contract expire? Summer 2014 I assume?

Would be a shame if it is Summer 2013 because he''s easily a £1m player for a Championship team."

Dream on ........... I would be ecstatic if we picked up half that. But I don''t think we will.

Seems a lovely bloke but it''s a step too far and even the Championship may be too.