Sign in to follow this  
PeekJNR

I just met...

Our old coach Paul Stephenson.

I work in a hotel in Cheltenham. Back on his way from seeing Accringting Stanley (who he now manages) lose to Exeter, he stopped in for nights stay as hes assesing Chelenham tomorrow.

We was discussing football when I relised that I recognized the name Stephenson. He told me he once a  coach with Norwich under the Glen Rodent and Lee Clark days. With a friendly bit of banter I said to him ouch, not good times then which he laughed off and reminded me they saved us when 9 points adrift.

I said so what happened then, as we just started to plumit. His reply was that the Turners pulled out with pre season taking the £4million that they had promised to give the club for the allocated budget. I said about the loan signings to which he said bids had been made for players but due to the pull out by the Turners the clubs budget was £4 million down. Therefore the loan signings was all we could afford. I said well fair enough, and thinking about it really explains Gunns appointment.

He commented on what a fantastic manager Mr Hughton is and what a very nice person he is aswell. When I laughed about Doomcaster all I got was a dry smile. He said he happy to see the club doing well again as its a fantastic set up.

Seemed an absolutely lovely bloke, with no bitterness towards the club whatso ever. A real gent.

[quote user="singupcarrowroad"]Interesting stuff, but I can assure you that Paul Stephenson is not the manager of Accrington Stanley.[/quote]

Sorry, been a long night. I meant coaches

[quote user="PeekyNCFC9"]

I work in a hotel in Cheltenham. Back on his way from seeing Accringting Stanley (who he now manages) lose to Exeter, he stopped in for nights stay as hes assesing Chelenham tomorrow.

We was discussing football when I relised that I recognized the name Stephenson. He told me he once a  coach with Norwich under the Glen Rodent and Lee Clark days. With a friendly bit of banter I said to him ouch, not good times then which he laughed off and reminded me they saved us when 9 points adrift.

I said so what happened then, as we just started to plumit. His reply was that the Turners pulled out with pre season taking the £4million that they had promised to give the club for the allocated budget. I said about the loan signings to which he said bids had been made for players but due to the pull out by the Turners the clubs budget was £4 million down. Therefore the loan signings was all we could afford. I said well fair enough, and thinking about it really explains Gunns appointment.

He commented on what a fantastic manager Mr Hughton is and what a very nice person he is aswell. When I laughed about Doomcaster all I got was a dry smile. He said he happy to see the club doing well again as its a fantastic set up.

Seemed an absolutely lovely bloke, with no bitterness towards the club whatso ever. A real gent.

[/quote]

Wow I genuinely interesting post rather than the usual shite posted by anyone with over a 1000 posts. Cheers for sharing fella.

[/quote]

I doubt that £4m figure. I think Stephenson is getting confused. The Turners had put in £2.5m, and had promised another £1.5m. When they quit in September 2008 they scrapped the idea of the extra £1.5m. They couldn''t demand the £2.5m back, because of the conditions attached to the loan. They had to wait until we got to the Premier League. But not having the £1.5m did leave a massive hole in our finances. So Stephenson is right in general but wrong in specifics.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="PeekyNCFC9"]

[/quote]

I doubt that £4m figure. I think Stephenson is getting confused. The Turners had put in £2.5m, and had promised another £1.5m. When they quit in September 2008 they scrapped the idea of the extra £1.5m. They couldn''t demand the £2.5m back, because of the conditions attached to the loan. They had to wait until we got to the Premier League. But not having the £1.5m did leave a massive hole in our finances. So Stephenson is right in general but wrong in specifics.

[/quote]

Well that may be the case, however I see how he has no reason to lie. Wouldnt suprise me if it was £4million as we were trying our hardest to get promoted that year, in Rodents words. However, we all know what happened after ;)

Well that may be the case, however I see how he has no reason to lie. Wouldnt suprise me if it was £4million as we were trying our hardest to get promoted that year, in Rodents words. However, we all know what happened after ;)

[/quote]

I''m not suggesting that he was lying. Only that he may have been confused about the £2.5m and the £1.5m and erroneously turned that into £4m of new money. I certainly have never seen it reported that the Turners were all set to put in £4m on top of the £2.5m. On the contrary, after they left there were reports that they had, for whatever reason, been unhappy for quite a while before they quit. If so that would hardly suggest they had been on the point on ploughing in loads of new money.

[quote user="swindoncanary"]Does anyone have any inside info on why the Turners left ?[/quote]

There used to be loads on here who reckoned they had but they rarely post now...

Great and obviously genuine thread. I love meeting people who were once insiders. No matter how many years later you learn something new or perhaps learn to look at things from a different perspective. Thanks for posting.

I certainly don''t have any inside information, but the Turner''s walked at around the time that the financial crisis began to hit.

Financial services was the worst hit sector. No doubt people of that level of wealth would have fingers in a lot of pies, and perhaps they just saw the value of their investments fall?

They were scary and uncertain times, especially in financial services.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]... a handsome sailor![/quote]

Was it love at first sight Mungo.......or just lust? [:)]
[/quote]

Top Banter, made me chuckle!