Sign in to follow this  
stoke canary

Brad Johnson.....

I''m amazed that there are people who can''t see what Bradley Johnson offers the team. He has had perhaps two poor games all season and in most of the rest has been one of our top three or four performers. Not bad for a player who was a left midfielder at Leeds and was signed by Lambert as a centre midfielder.

It is amazing really that Lambert had the vision to see that an ineffective left-midfielder at Leeds who Leeds fans didn''t rate very highly could walk straight into our team as a centre midfielder and do well enough from the off to be talked about as an England prospect.

[quote user="CDK1986"]I wouldn''t be too excited Bradley. David Fox was given a two-year deal earlier in the season and has hardly had a kick since (or before as it happens.[/quote][Y]

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="I am a Banana"]oh dear... not good enough.[|-)][/quote] Do you actually know anything about football?[/quote][*-)][8-)][:^)]

I am a Banana and Wiz seem very similar at times, has anybody ever considered the possibility that they are the same person?

Definitely not singup, that''s very insulting to Wiz.

Banana is ver childish, you only have to see his selection in rays funds this week, yet another unnecessary judgement on other posters in the one thread that everyone loves and stays civil, despite being told his judgement isn''t required yet again he decides to be silly.

And posting thumbs up on the two posts out of about 40 that kind of agree with him, well that speaks for itself.

Bradley Johnson is good enough, not for Manchester United, or England, but he''s good enough for us and anyone who doesn''t think he isn''t knows very little about out team, Johnson and football.

Yes we could improve on Johnson, possibly will in the summer, but the idea of him not being good enough is rediclious.

[quote user="Gingerpele"] Yes we could improve on Johnson, possibly will in the summer, but the idea of him not being good enough is rediclious.[/quote]

Why give him such a long contract then? If we will replace him he will be able to sit in the reserves on his £20k+ a week not playing!

Because Hughton likes him, wants him to be part of the squad, wether that be a regular starter for years to come or back up. And you''ve just plucked £20k+ a week out of the air. Maybe thats what he''s on, but considering none of us (probably) know the exact amount any of our players are on, but from what I gather its only really Holt & Bassong that are definitely on that much, Johnson would be an odd one to add to that list.

We could improve on Johnson, doesn''t mean we will, and even if we buy a better player than him for his position, doesn''t mean he won''t be playing. Also reserves don''t exist anymore. Sorry.

he is young and still improving - a 3 year deal means we secure the best possible transfer deal and ensure we have a good squad player at least - and one the manager will use.

However he does have his limitations in that he is not destructive enough (not even the top tackler in our midfield) going through too many games without one and his passing is in the worst 35 outfield players in the premier league (and the 3 worst midfielder). As such we do have plenty of scope to find an improvement

His ground covering energy and enthusiasm means he has earned his extended contract though. As such the suggestion he is not good enough is a ridiculous as GPs spelling ;-)

I cant believe people think this is good business. Jesus christ people asking do they watch football for questioning this ??? I think its you who don''t watch the game. This guy does not track back well when losing possession, cant distrubure for the life of him. The reason the likes of pilkington snodders hoolahan and holt have to come so deep for the ball because bj or tettey cant manage to pass the ball forward 5 yards. If you think he is the future then you do t know anything about football. He is should be a squad player at maximum

Because thats how the team operates?

Johnson and Tettey are perfectly capable of passing the ball further than 5 yards (please go watch Pilkington''s goal against Swansea for reference to a Johnson long pass, or Man.Cs first goal, lovely pass to Garrido down the wing, who gave it to Pilks who gave it away). And if Hughton wanted a regular longer range of passing, Fox, maybe even Surman would be playing more.

Will that do?

Lol what ever you say. Your opinion. Just that its wrong. Look at his pass completion this season tell me how great that is.

Yes, i''m wrong. Of course. Suggest you go and take a look at who gave him the new contract, because it wasn''t me. Your opinion is pretty irrelevant really when the club obviously disagree with you...

Although I assume you know better than Hughton, his coaching staff and McNally etc....

[quote user="Simo8686"]Lol what ever you say. Your opinion. Just that its wrong. Look at his pass completion this season tell me how great that is.[/quote]
His pass completion rate is 70% over the course of the season. I''ll admit, that''s pretty poor for a holding midfielder but it''s hardly indicative of a player not being able to pass 5 yards, is it?

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"][quote user="Simo8686"]Lol what ever you say. Your opinion. Just that its wrong. Look at his pass completion this season tell me how great that is.[/quote]

His pass completion rate is 70% over the course of the season. I''ll admit, that''s pretty poor for a holding midfielder but it''s hardly indicative of a player not being able to pass 5 yards, is it?

[/quote]

He clearly can pass or he would not be a prem footballer and can do (and is doing) a good job for us in the prem.

But for a holding midfielder its slightly worse than pretty poor .    For the two good examples GP has highlighted there are clearly many more (over 300 infact,  13 per game) that have not found their man.   He is the 3rd worst passing midfielder in the prem (the only two worse are at Reading) in a position of the park where 80+% is the norm.   His passing success is slightly better for "short" at 75% than long 54% but his passing is extremely weak.   But it has improved from last year!

As a comparison, Tettey is at the average mark with 83% with an 85% success rate in short passing,  68% in the long category. 

Zipper I assume you''ve got these stats from somewhere reliable, but I don''t actually believe them. Personally I''ve noticed many more miss placed passs from Tettey during a number of games...

lol - of course I just made the numbers up GP [;)]   [:^)]     I do tend to deal in facts rather than assumptions or wild accusations.

Just shows people notice what they want,  what the brain receives is not always what the eye sees - hence optical illusions.  

Try here.   http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/168/Show/England-Norwich

All the number are from this site.   So for BJ

Total Passes  70% success

Good passes   816

Bad Passes     340

Long passes

Good 123

Bad    105

Short passes  - the rest.

I´m not convinced about Johnsons worth to the team.

Yes, he is defensively oriented. Yes, he keeps things simple.

Yes, he probably obeys every word coming from the mouth of Hughton.

But to me, his share size, physical presence, is likely the reason he is offered the contract. Certainly not for his passing, not for his creativity, not for his excellent vision.

No, he is signed up because we have none better in breaking up play, no better header of the ball in the central areas of the team, and the man looks like a beast.

To me though, a new 3 yr contract for Bradley Johnson is yet another defensive act from Hughton.

According to his player profile, Johnson is 178 cm tall...

And only 68 kg.

I find that hard to believe, always seem quite imposing when on the pitch

Height:5''10" (177.8 cm)

Weight:10st 10lbs (68 kg)

We need those types of players.    Nigel De Jong is a great example of the unseen effects a defensive player has on a side.    Under appreciated and Citeh have been a shadow of last years team without him.

BJ does not quite have that level of influence on our side - but he has been a good cog in our side this year,  and brings enough to deserve his new contract.  

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"][quote user="Phillip J Fry"][quote user="Simo8686"]Lol what ever you say. Your opinion. Just that its wrong. Look at his pass completion this season tell me how great that is.[/quote]

[/quote]

He clearly can pass or he would not be a prem footballer and can do (and is doing) a good job for us in the prem.

But for a holding midfielder its slightly worse than pretty poor .    For the two good examples GP has highlighted there are clearly many more (over 300 infact,  13 per game) that have not found their man.   He is the 3rd worst passing midfielder in the prem (the only two worse are at Reading) in a position of the park where 80+% is the norm.   His passing success is slightly better for "short" at 75% than long 54% but his passing is extremely weak.   But it has improved from last year!

As a comparison, Tettey is at the average mark with 83% with an 85% success rate in short passing,  68% in the long category. 

[/quote]
70% isn''t absolutely horrendous and it''s still probably a damn sight better than his pass completion rate from last season. I agree that Johnson''s passing clearly needs work, from the numbers you''ve provided, it seems that Johnson is trying too many ambitious long passes when he should be trying to play the ball more simply. I never thought I''d say this, but Johnson could do with taking a page out of Gerrard''s book and cut out the ''hollywood'' balls in favour of simple, short passes that give the ball to our more creative players. I think it''s clear to everyone that IF Johnson can  improve his passing ability then he''ll be top midfielder for Norwich, the question is can he do it? 

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Zipper I assume you''ve got these stats from somewhere reliable, but I don''t actually believe them. Personally I''ve noticed many more miss placed passs from Tettey during a number of games...[/quote]
I think I can explain why. 
Tettey is usually a very reliable passer, as zipper pointed out he has an 83% pass completion rate, so when he gets the ball you expect him to pass it correctly, this means that when his pass is inaccurate you tend to notice it more. It''s the same reason many people complain Wes gives the ball away too much. Anyone with access to the numbers will point out his high passing statistics but we only really remember the bad passes, mainly because we expect Wes to pass properly.  

The only players below 70% are goal keepers and strikers. 70% is that bad in the context of a defensive midfielder - my question (tongue in cheek) is how many of those short passes only become long passes because its misplaced ?

Its not enough to be dropped or not earn a contract, I have said he deserves that. but I agree he should look to keep it simple more often, movement from snoddy orpilks to allow a short ball would be a start.

Now that begs the next question - who is the worst passer you have ever seen in a city shirt?

The legend that is Andy Clapper Hughes would be near the top of my list; an unerring accuracy only in getting the ball out of play with bouncing after leaving his foot seemed to be his major ability - including in crossfield passes when playing at right back!