Sign in to follow this  
Patches OHoolahan

Are there any more lower league gems?

Assuming we stay up (big assumption I know) is there anyone out there who could improve the team come the summer?

I quite like Vydra but suspect that Udinese will play hardball with anyone but Watford. I also have a soft spot for Adomah at Bristol City- bags of pace and skill, would be a nice option to have on the wings, and something different to Pilks and Snoddy.

I would like to hope that, after a few years of Prem money, we can start looking more at players who are close to the finished article, rather than taking punts on lower league cheapies.

Are there players in the lower leagues that can make the step up? Most definitely. If you pick the top 11 in the championship this season, you''d have a team more than capable of challenging in the premiership.
The problem is transfer fees. As far as second divisions go, the championship has alot of cash and most clubs are in strong bargaining positions when teams like us try to take their players. How much would Burnley want for Charlie Austin at the moment? £5 million at least? Is he really worth taking a gamble on at that kind of price, particularly when you could find a player in other leagues that represent no more a gamble at a fraction of the price? 

Tom Ince would be a quality signing. I still feel David Nugent would do a good job. Then you''ve got Curtis Davies who we bid for in January and he would add competition where we need it. No more Leeds players though!!

I would begin to agree with Marty but also agree that the championship does have players who could add to a premier league squad.

But now that we should be looking at building premiership stability we do need to buy players who are not needing two-three years to become the finished article, we need players who are hungry and proven in other leagues that want to add to our group and lift us.

I also note that the selling on potential needs to be noted. It has been years since we sold any body who has developed into a good player. It is Bellamy/ Ashton, what we need is to develop are those very good players to become stand out.

But I agree there are some champ players who can become valuable squad players and the odd starter. But the move is to other leagues to add 2-3 players.

Don''t get me wrong we need more players than that this summer but we need some European influence.

[quote user="smooth"]I would begin to agree with Marty but also agree that the championship does have players who could add to a premier league squad. But now that we should be looking at building premiership stability we do need to buy players who are not needing two-three years to become the finished article, we need players who are hungry and proven in other leagues that want to add to our group and lift us. I also note that the selling on potential needs to be noted. It has been years since we sold any body who has developed into a good player. It is Bellamy/ Ashton, what we need is to develop are those very good players to become stand out. But I agree there are some champ players who can become valuable squad players and the odd starter. But the move is to other leagues to add 2-3 players. Don''t get me wrong we need more players than that this summer but we need some European influence.[/quote]

Knockaert of Leicester City seems to get some notices.

The good young ones cost at lot of money and then need to be developed look at Arsenal with walcott and Oxlaid Chamberlain. A club our size at the moment does not have the luxuary of spending a lot of cash and then easing the youngster in, they need to be playing. Having said that the one that really stands out is Tom Ince. He will cost about £7m but the penny should be dropping that by and large you get what you pay for. Norwich would be an ideal club for him, get games and exposure then move on to bigger and better for twice the fee.

No. None that are in our price range anyway. Paying anything over 5million for a championship player is criminal and I hope that Norwich never fall into the category of clubs that have more money than sense.

I think its entirely possible to concentrate on signing proven players while at the same time keeping an eye on who is around in the lower leagues. For example Everton signed Stones from Barnsley, United got Powell from Crewe and Lowton has been one of Villa''s better players having signed from Sheff Utd.
It would be short sighted to not scout the lower leagues IMO. There are bound to be a few unpolished diamonds around.  

Ritchie de Laet seems to be coming good with Leicester. He''s been in their starting lineup practically all their games. I remember him to be quite fast and skilled. While with City, he made a few spectacular errors (like that silly backpass against Chelsea) becuase of which Lambert wrote him off. But he must have dropped those, and apart from that he looked decent, and probably improved since.

[quote user="Budapest Canary"]Ritchie de Laet seems to be coming good with Leicester. He''s been in their starting lineup practically all their games. I remember him to be quite fast and skilled. While with City, he made a few spectacular errors (like that silly backpass against Chelsea) becuase of which Lambert wrote him off. But he must have dropped those, and apart from that he looked decent, and probably improved since.[/quote]Is he there on loan, ie he''s still ours?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Budapest Canary"]Ritchie de Laet seems to be coming good with Leicester. He''s been in their starting lineup practically all their games. I remember him to be quite fast and skilled. While with City, he made a few spectacular errors (like that silly backpass against Chelsea) becuase of which Lambert wrote him off. But he must have dropped those, and apart from that he looked decent, and probably improved since.[/quote]Is he there on loan, ie he''s still ours?

[/quote]Just answered my own question, we only ever had him on loan.[:$]

I think the club need to focus on a buying in a blanace of youth and experience. We need to buy experienced players who are able to come straight into the team but I do feel we also need to invest in some younger players who we can develop and then sell on for a large profit. Much like Wigan did with Victor Moses. With that aim in mind I would say Will Hughes of Derby. He looks very good and for someone so young he is able to dominate midfield in the Championship. I think right now he''s good enough for a place on the bench and would soon be pushing for a starting place.

Davo

I agree with Tom Ince being mentioned, he''s a classy young player. Curtis Davies should be on the list again along with Martin Olsson imo.

I just don''t know what to expect with CH yet, on the tranfer front I mean. He''s brought in a few top players already, but I bet Snodders was in the pipeline anyway. Let''s not be tempted to bring in someone like Austin for over 5 million! There''s a pool of talent abroad too and I think CH will take a more carefull approach than PL.

I''m a huge fan of Billy Sharp, he''s a goal machine and I think that Southampton look a bit silly spending £7m on Jay Rodriquez who has flopped big time whilst Billy Sharp has gone out on loan without a chance at this level despite scoring 19 goals in 35 games last season.

I think he is one of those players who is destined not to have a crack at the Premier League - he''s 27 now.

When you look at the likes of Lambert and Holt coming up and being prolific at 30/31..... I can''t help but have a sense of intrigue as to whether or not Billy Sharp could come up and do the same.

Southampton only paid £1.8m for him (because Doncaster were skint), and I expect they would only want their money back.

Norwich fans took a dislike to him after he turned us down in favour of a move to Sheffield United in 2007..... which was harsh because he was returning to his boyhood club and the city that he grew up in.

In the last three and a half seasons he has scored 62 goals in 132 games...... pretty much 1 in 2.

If we are talking about Championship strikers who might be worth a punt I''d forget about £6m to £7m Charlie Austin and look towards having a gamble on Sharp for a couple of million.

And if a couple of million on Sharp doesn''t work out.... there would be no shortage of Championship teams willing to give us all or most of our money back, as long as we don''t give him silly wages.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Budapest Canary"]Ritchie de Laet seems to be coming good with Leicester. He''s been in their starting lineup practically all their games. I remember him to be quite fast and skilled. While with City, he made a few spectacular errors (like that silly backpass against Chelsea) becuase of which Lambert wrote him off. But he must have dropped those, and apart from that he looked decent, and probably improved since.[/quote]Is he there on loan, ie he''s still ours?

[/quote]Just answered my own question, we only ever had him on loan.[:$][/quote]Indeed. If Leister reaches promotion, it''ll be interesting to see how he does in the Prem. I think he was a bit underrated here.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]If Blackburn don''t come up I would go for Rhodes. The guy is one of the best finishers I have seen.[/quote]

Was surprised that a prem club didn''t take a chance on him when he moved to Blackburn , although the fee was reportedly £6-8m so maybe it was considered that other Strikers were better value. Seems to score wherever he goes...