Sign in to follow this  
Bert sneakers

I bet hooper is regretting not joining us tonight

I think some Norwich fans have an overly large opinion of our club.

From what I''ve seen this season Celtic have a better team than us in all areas of the pitch with the exception of the defence, an incredible stadium which is jam packed with some of the most vocal supporters in the planet, and they get to play in Europe every year.

They have a two absolutely stellar kids in Forrest and Watt who both have gleaming futures in the game, a passionate manager who likes to attack games, and they are pretty much guaranteed to win the league for five consecutive years. In addition he gets to play with a strike partner in a team full of attacking midfielders who create lots of chances and constantly put the ball in dangerous places.

The only possible reasons that Hooper would have for wanting to move to Norwich are:

1) Closer to his hometown and probably family (Born and raised in Essex)

2) More likely to get capped by England in the Premier League.

Even the second point is highly dubious because he has already had an England call up but couldn''t accept it due to injury, whilst our own prolific striker last season was overlooked.

I can so no reason whatsoever why Hooper would be in any rush to come down south, particularly if Norwich is the only offer on the table, and I suspect he will hold out for Everton, Liverpool, or Spurs.... all clubs who compete yearly for European spots.

What is it exactly that Norwich fans think that is so attractive to a striker about a relegation battle in a defensive team which plays 4-5-1 and is lucky to create two clear cut chances a game?

They looked decent, but lacked the experience to grind out a result. If they had held it at 1-0 I would actually have expected them to get something at Juventus, if at least push them all the way. But that said the tie looks far from over now.

On tonights showing would I have paid 8M for Hooper? No

On the seasons showings would I have paid 8M for Hooper? Maybe

On a side note,Townsend really infuriates me. Even if he says something that is true i tend to disagree with him.

The whole corner debacle. Ok it may just be me but i saw nothing wrong with what Lichsteiner was doing. He was using his strength to protect his keeper (though i''m sure Buffon wasn''t worried) and the commentators 2keep going on abt penalty here,penalty their would have ruined it.

I like the physical aspect and ok blatant shirt pulling i can agree with but standing your ground and not vein bullyed by the opp i see no problem.

He may still come here in the summer, it is just the fact that if he does, then it shows that he was hanging on for these 2 (outside chance - 4) games in the CL. Not his decision entirely, as Celtic would have had the final say in the transfer window, but perhaps they had far more opinion of themselves than the rest of the footballing world, when it came to progress in this competition.

I wanted Celtic to do well, as I always have over the years btw, but Hooper may have missed a trick not moving to the PL, last month, as opposed to the Summer, and Celtic will undoubtedly lose money on him, for the sake of these 2 games.

I think many of us thought we were Orr stretching the budget with the figures being reported in January.

I still favour Europe for quality at a sensible price.

I personally think4 million is hoopers market value, remember apparently some Italian team are interested, if they are and they offer more let him go.

We can find better in Europe.

His price tag has just gone down and celtic will probably regret that more than anything.  I think we can get the same for muchless than £5m from another european league - we may just not have heard of them!   Look at sissoko for Newcastle - £2m?   bargain (I know he is not a striker!)

People seem to forget it wasn''t Hooper who rejected us!!! Celtic didn''t want to sell him, there is a difference!! Would suggest getting your facts right before you post!!

[quote user="zemas tendon"]How Celtic have not won every game in the Scottish League, is beyond me, it must be like Man Utd playing League1every season[/quote]

And thats the only thing that makes Hooper look good, he''s no better than League 1 himself and no where near good enough for us, I think we can thank the CEO and Manager for not wasteing the money on this poor excuse for a striker. 

Hooper is a good striker in a very poor league. he did well at championship level and is with a top side. The trouble is Celtic are in a league with no quality at all now that rangers have gone toes up. The general standard of oppositionin that league is championship at best possibly league 1 for some clubs. They should win the league with their second team allowing them to concentrate on European competition. Take nothing away from them celtic have done well inEurpoe as has Hooper. Last night they played a good side and were given a harsh lesson. On the night Hooper hardly got a kick but it is harsh to judge on one game. having said that if he had scored a couple his value and satus would have risen. Will we still want him in the summer? depends if weare still in the premiership. I cannot see many premiership clubs taking a punt on him over £7m and probably even then a bottom quarter club like us or a newly promoted club.

[quote user="zemas tendon"]How Celtic have not won every game in the Scottish League, is beyond me, it must be like Man Utd playing League1every season[/quote]Or Norwich playing Luton perhaps

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[quote user="zemas tendon"]How Celtic have not won every game in the Scottish League, is beyond me, it must be like Man Utd playing League1every season[/quote]

And thats the only thing that makes Hooper look good, he''s no better than League 1 himself and no where near good enough for us, I think we can thank the CEO and Manager for not wasteing the money on this poor excuse for a striker. 

[/quote]

So if Hooper joins in the summer and turns out to be a good player for us and scores a few goals will you be admitting that you got it wrong about him?

(same goes for anyone else who has written him off)

I also think as Warnock would say "the lads had his head turned".

And I don''t think Hooper has scored since the transfer window closed? I know he hasn''t played much so maybe some unrest for the rest of the season!

Would still love to see him at City and was all down to Lennon and Celtic for the supposed move not going through.

Cannot see that Hooper is any better than Holt, in fact I would have expected Holt to put himself about more and cause more problems for the Italians.What I want to know is, who from NCFC decided that it was worth offering such an inflated fee for a striker no better than what we already have? Was it our scout/s, Hoots, the CEO or the tea-lady?Or, would it have been Hooper in and Holt out?

[quote user="singupcarrowroad"]I think some Norwich fans have an overly large opinion of our club.

From what I''ve seen this season Celtic have a better team than us in all areas of the pitch with the exception of the defence, an incredible stadium which is jam packed with some of the most vocal supporters in the planet, and they get to play in Europe every year.

They have a two absolutely stellar kids in Forrest and Watt who both have gleaming futures in the game, a passionate manager who likes to attack games, and they are pretty much guaranteed to win the league for five consecutive years. In addition he gets to play with a strike partner in a team full of attacking midfielders who create lots of chances and constantly put the ball in dangerous places.

The only possible reasons that Hooper would have for wanting to move to Norwich are:

1) Closer to his hometown and probably family (Born and raised in Essex)

2) More likely to get capped by England in the Premier League.

Even the second point is highly dubious because he has already had an England call up but couldn''t accept it due to injury, whilst our own prolific striker last season was overlooked.

I can so no reason whatsoever why Hooper would be in any rush to come down south, particularly if Norwich is the only offer on the table, and I suspect he will hold out for Everton, Liverpool, or Spurs.... all clubs who compete yearly for European spots.

What is it exactly that Norwich fans think that is so attractive to a striker about a relegation battle in a defensive team which plays 4-5-1 and is lucky to create two clear cut chances a game?[/quote]FYI - I do not rate Hooper and do not want to sign him but in answer to why he would join Norwich v staying where he is....With Europe inevtitably over for Celtic he has the prospect of playing against  the likes of Dundee Utd, Dundee,St Mirren, Hibs, Kilmarnock Aberdeen, Ross County etc until the leagues split - these are teams which would struggle in the championship....that is Hoopers future until he leaves Celtic with the occasional night in Europe.  Scottish football is some of the weakest in europe and he will inevitaly stagnate and fail to improveNorwich, however, play in one of the strongest leagues in the world and offer the possibility of competing against some of the best teams in the worldAs i have previously stated - over paying for Hooper is a bullet well dodged!

I just want to reiterate what a couple of posters above have observed. Our bids were not accepted so Hooper never got the choice whether to join us or decline us.

To the poster asking why we bid so much, what was our highest officially confirmed bid? I thought most of what was reported in the press about the whole saga was speculation.

Hooper will end up proving himself to be a very good premier league striker and I just hope we follow up our interest in the summer before somebody else gets him and we spend the next few seasons thinking what could have been when he is banging them in week after week.

That''s my opinion, I''m entitled to it like you are yours and I''ll stand by it if I''m proved wrong.

[quote user="Chip20"]I just want to reiterate what a couple of posters above have observed. Our bids were not accepted so Hooper never got the choice whether to join us or decline us.

To the poster asking why we bid so much, what was our highest officially confirmed bid? I thought most of what was reported in the press about the whole saga was speculation.[/quote]
I could be remembering this wrong, but I believe McNally confirmed we offered double our record transfer fee in order to bring in our ''top target''. Our record transfer fee is £3.5 million for R.Bennett I believe? So we''re looking at around £7 million.

From Hooper''s perspective he has played in the Champion League last 16, something he is unlikely to experience in the PL. It owould be a next but one move for him in the PL if he is good enough at a club like Norwich to move to a top 4 side. Looks unlikely at the moment but stranger things have happened!

He may also have a greater opportunity to debate competing bids for his services in the Summer. Also, our status will have been determined by then one way or another.

Rvw is a better prospect for the values being touted for hooper.

The metro today notes that he wishes to move to spurs. If spurs back this up in the summer the good luck to him. I think we go back in for rvw and we look at another euorpean based striker to come in with pace and size. There are many leagues where strikers would want that step up and I am afraid the championship and premier league are leagues where the price is too inflated for value on the pItch and for selling on.

I think he''ll be trying to run before he can walk if he joins Spurs in the summer. Can''t blame him for setting his sights high, whether there''ll come in for him time will tell, one thing is almost garunteed, he won''t be in Scotland next season!?!?

Probably not the best game to judge him on, due to the quality of the opposition.However I didn''t see much that made me think "Wow, this guy is quality and worth 7 or 8 million of anyones money"

As I have said before, I think Celtic thought more of themselves than the rest of the footballing world, in regards progress, but in one way, if they had sold Hooper, they were as good as admitting they would not be good enough to beat Juve.

I do not see a last 16/8 appearance in the CL is something footballers would turn  a transfer down for, to get on their CV. 

[quote user="Orford65"]Cannot see that Hooper is any better than Holt, in fact I would have expected Holt to put himself about more and cause more problems for the Italians.What I want to know is, who from NCFC decided that it was worth offering such an inflated fee for a striker no better than what we already have? Was it our scout/s, Hoots, the CEO or the tea-lady?Or, would it have been Hooper in and Holt out?[/quote]There was a rumour that Holt could be involved in a swap deal, which was swiftly denied by the club.Not beyond the realms of possibility for me, especially given the geographical distance between Carlisle and Glasgow....

BBC teletext are claiming that we had FIVE bids turned down for Hooper and that he now wants to move to Spurs in the summer.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]BBC teletext are claiming that we had FIVE bids turned down for Hooper and that he now wants to move to Spurs in the summer.[/quote]Good. Let them take an expensive gamble on Hooper.