Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Tom Adeyemi

I have a feeling that Adeyemi will make it at Norwich if Hughton remains manager for the long term (3 or 4 years, say).

Why? Because he is a Hughton type center midfielder.... seems to like the ''box to box'' type, rather than the more cultured midfielders.

I find it amazing that some idiot can turn a goal from one of our young prospects on loan and turn it into a dig at him AND the manager.

Ashamed at a certain section of support atm. Premier league breed this fools unfortunately. Why they are "supporting" us and not the traditional man united or Liverpool I don''t know.

[quote user="Reasonable Canary"]I find it amazing that some idiot can turn a goal from one of our young prospects on loan and turn it into a dig at him AND the manager. Ashamed at a certain section of support atm. Premier league breed this fools unfortunately. Why they are "supporting" us and not the traditional man united or Liverpool I don''t know.[/quote]

Not exactly living up to your name are you?

I''m just saying what every reasonable fan thinks about these types, they are completely moronic and need to be put down or they think they are right about everything. Before long you''ve got wiz. Wiz and his type are the fault of every member of this forum that just let them get away with it. They are the rot in this football club and have to be dealt with

I''m personally amazed that somebody who calls themselves ''reasonable canary'' can take what I wrote and assume a dig at either Hughton or Adeyemi.

Here''s a quote by Adeyemi himself:

“I like to think of myself as a box to box midfielder. I am athletic and like to get around the pitch and maybe I could chip in with a few goals as well"

If you don''t understand the difference between a cultured midfielder and a box-to-box midfielder then that is your problem not mine.

David Fox is a cultured midfielder, Damien Francis was a box-to-box midfielder, Tettey can probably be considered a box-to-box midfielder. Phil Mulryne was a cultured midfielder, as was Ian Crook.

There isn''t a single dig at either Hughton or Adeyemi in my post you confrontational asswipe. David Fox, cultured midfielder, doesn''t get a look in. Yes?

A cultured midfielder is usually one who is very composed on the ball with a complete passing range.

They will typically not be hardmen or tough tacklers, or put in a hard slog chasing dead balls and 50/50''s, but rather work on dictating the tempo of the game.

A box-to-box midfielder is somebody who is equally adept at defending and going forward, so is used to break up play but can also get forward and pose a threat. E.g. Damien Francis.

Here is the wiki explanation for the term box-to-box midfielder:

"The term "box-to-box" is often used to refer to the most dynamic all-round/complete midfielders, who provide both defensive and attacking prowess.[4] The most versatile of players, they typically possess exceptional stamina and are usually skilled at tackling, passing, shooting and also good at keeping possession. Examples of a box-to-box midfielders are Patrick Vieira, Steven Gerrard, or Yaya Toure"

Now perhaps you would like to explain how likening Adeyemi to a Toure or a Gerrard or a Viera is a dig you moronic asswipes.

[quote user="chicken"]So box to box midfielders can''t be cultured?[/quote]Chicken, a cultured box to box midfielder is the holy grail and they are as rare as hen''s teeth. Think along the lines of Lampard, Keane and a younger Paul Scholes. My dearest wish is that we can somehow find such an unearthed diamond through our scouting network so that we can preserve shape/bite in midfield, but at the same time present an attacking threat.

Exactly Louis Cyphre, a player who can do both is the complete player..... I can''t even think of one. Zidane perhaps had all of the physical attributes to be the complete midfielder but due to his attacking prowess was typically played in a very advanced role.

Steven Gerrard is perhaps the closest thing that England have to the complete midfielder. He wasn''t playing at Brentford at 21 for good reason!

Singup,You are aboslutely right - Gerrard was and still nearly is the complete player who can pass, tackle and has a fantastic engine. Bryan Robson was another in his time, altough his passing wasnt in Gerrard''s league. Zidane wasnt a great tackler and was normally accompanied by a minder in the Deschamps and Makalele (spelling?) mold.What we truthfully need is a Bradley Johnson that can pass like Fox and shoot like Pilkington.A few years ago, I thouught that Andy Johnson was going to be this player, but his career seemed to go off the rails.

RC,I really can''t see what Singup has said that could be so misconstrued. His post about Hughton seems to imply to me that Hughton prefers industrious solid type midfielders like BJ and AT, therefore Tom ought to have some future with us. Personally I would hope that he may coem back into teh sqaud in the summer and and start to but pressure on BJ/AT. I think he has always had talent, but needed to bulk out a bit. I dont think Hughton is anti-cultured players, but at present until we can find someone who is a younger version of Gerrard or Keane, needs dictate that we need solidity in the middle at the sacrifice of flair. It is a tactic that I hope is short lived (i.e. until we stay up).

For those of you who remember Monty Python, I can''t help thinking that the reaction to my initial post is like the ''dirty knife'' sketch.

Here''s the punch line: "Good job I didn''t mention that Cody McDonald has scored three goals in four games on loan at Gillingham."

Why does every player have to be given a label? (Box to box, cultured, lightweight, lazy, one-footed, etc, etc, etc)

Reasonable Canary what the hell are you talking about? What players have I slagged off?

All I''ve said about Hughton is that this season I accept the mediocrity and the relegation scrap this season but that next season, with another transfer window under his belt, he should have a "Hughton squad" and be expected to push on to mid-table.

The only negative things I''ve said about players is that Fox and Jackson have weaknesses at this level and are in reality good Championship players.

But if you saw digs at Hughton and Adeyemi in my post on here then no doubt you can see whatever it is that you want to see.

There is nothing "reasonable" about an attitude which only allows people an opinion if it is the same as yours.

Webbo18,

Because if you understood what the labels meant they would make a lot of sense.

Calling Adeyemi a box-to-box midfielder is no different to me referring to Hoolahan as an attacking midfielder. Surely nobody would object to me calling Hoolahan an attacking midfielder?

It is no different to me calling Snodgrass a left winger, and Pilkington a right midfielder, on the basis that Snodgrass is closer to what would traditionally have been called a ''winger'' than Pilkington is.

You would never have called Lappin a ''left winger'', but you might have called him a ''left sided midfielder''.

This is all ridiculously simple stuff, do any of you play Sunday league football? Have any of you coached a local kids side? Or have teenagers who play football?

Calling somebody a ''box to box midfielder'' doesn''t make me a wannabe football manager or a wannabe match of the day pundit...... it is a ridiculously common football term just like ''sweeper'' or ''defensive midfielder'', or ''attacking full back''.

I genuinely despair.

Singup,This always happens when we have a big gap between games - people have too much time on their hands to debate too little new news. At least it isnt half term until next week - that will add another dimension!I suppose I had better get back to being on my knees! Nice one Reasonable!!

[quote user="singupcarrowroad"]Webbo18,

Because if you understood what the labels meant they would make a lot of sense.

Calling Adeyemi a box-to-box midfielder is no different to me referring to Hoolahan as an attacking midfielder. Surely nobody would object to me calling Hoolahan an attacking midfielder?

It is no different to me calling Snodgrass a left winger, and Pilkington a right midfielder, on the basis that Snodgrass is closer to what would traditionally have been called a ''winger'' than Pilkington is.

You would never have called Lappin a ''left winger'', but you might have called him a ''left sided midfielder''.

This is all ridiculously simple stuff, do any of you play Sunday league football? Have any of you coached a local kids side? Or have teenagers who play football?

Calling somebody a ''box to box midfielder'' doesn''t make me a wannabe football manager or a wannabe match of the day pundit...... it is a ridiculously common football term just like ''sweeper'' or ''defensive midfielder'', or ''attacking full back''.

I genuinely despair.[/quote] Everyone knows Snodgrass plays on the right and Pilkington on the left for Norwich :O

Lets just get back to a midfielder who is getting much needed experience.

Adeyemi is always a player that I believe has the attributes to be a starter. He has the size, drive, energy and now experience.

Lambert even indicated that if we had not reached the premiership the following season would have seen playing time for adeyemi.

For me a better player for the premiership than Korey smith, but ks has time to impress. I still think Tom adeyemi has a future here and I do like an energetic box to box midfielder, strong in the tackle a range of passing that is direct but good positional sense.

I believe he has got it and hope he comes back and shows it, he is becoming a man with this loan education. Remember his experience with Paul dickov at Oldham, played at full back at anfield etc.

I am sure recent pre seasons he has also looked sharp. An intelligent young man who I believe will be part of our future. I hope in the premier league.

Good post smooth. For me, his time will come once he has the physicality to compete in CM. I havent seen him recently, but once he has filled out I am sure that he has the attributes to play in the prem. I have always thought that since the first match I saw him play (Yeovil away in the cup a few seasons back).

[quote user="Reasonable Canary"]I''m just saying what every reasonable fan thinks about these types, they are completely moronic and need to be put down or they think they are right about everything. Before long you''ve got wiz. Wiz and his type are the fault of every member of this forum that just let them get away with it. They are the rot in this football club and have to be dealt with[/quote]

Blimey. Were you a fascist in a previous life ?

At the end of this season Adeyemi would have played three whole seasons in League One and Two.

What he needs next season, and probably the year after, is two years in the Championship. If he can impress in that league and continue to develop then he will be 23/24 and he can come straight into our team and get a crack at the whip.

We seem to sign players of that age from the Championship for several million (Howson & Snodgrass for example).

There is every chance that with a couple of full Championship seasons we will actually have produced a top quality of our own for the first time since Robert Green.

I suspect at very least that he will have a very good career as an influential Championship player like Jason Shackell (who seems to captain every team he joins and who I rate as superior as Leon Barnett and Elliott Ward to be honest).

So Adeyemi will be a great success story in my opinion whether he becomes a Premier League player or not. Jason Shackell is the only top Championship quality player that I can think of to come out of our team for years and years, so the emergence of Korey Smith and Tom Adeyemi.... both of whom I believe are/will be at least good Championship players, represents a clear improvement in the quality of player that we are churning out.

It stands us in good stead as the Murphy twins and Jared Loza are said to be the best prospects in our youth team for many years..... there is real hope that one or more of those three could end up being a real top player (a Craig Bellamy or a Darren Eadie).

I''d love to see the day that we can begin churning out Eadie''s, Bellamy''s and Sutton''s again.