Sign in to follow this  
percy varco

Biggest transfer budget ever

Just seen that when we stay up we will have the biggest transfer budget ever because of the new TV bought riches in The Prem next year.

Surley this will apply to all Prem teams who will be in the same position and therefore it becomes relative. The results could just be that transfer fees are driven up.

We did have a decent budget in Jan but seemed to fail in being able to spend it.

[quote user="percy varco"]Just seen that when we stay up we will have the biggest transfer budget ever because of the new TV bought riches in The Prem next year. Surley this will apply to all Prem teams who will be in the same position and therefore it becomes relative. The results could just be that transfer fees are driven up. We did have a decent budget in Jan but seemed to fail in being able to spend it.[/quote]

Your''e right in saying that we would be in no better position that any other Premiership club as their budget will increase too.

However where we might differ from most other Premiership clubs is that even next season we still might be buying from the Championship and maybe Scotland (Hooper?), presumably we would be able to blow anyone out of the water from those league with any bids?

That doesn''t make sense GJL, because that assumes that we would be competing with Championship and SPL clubs for their signature.

The point is that the amount that we will likely have to pay for somebody like Hooper will rise because the numerous Premier League clubs who will inevitably be interested in him will also have a much larger budget next season.

If anything I expect us to ignore British based targets and attempt to identify foreign signings that aren''t on the radar of other clubs, I can just see us becoming even more priced out of British players personally.

Hughton pulled Tettey out of nowhere, and may well have pulled off a masterstroke with Kai Kamara, so it wouldn''t surprise me in the slightest if he continues in that vain and looks in leagues which other clubs won''t be. Can see us signing players from Scandinavia, Germany, France, Italy, Portugal, anywhere but the UK.

I wonder how much somebody like Benteke will go for at the end of the season when Villa get relegated? I bet he will go for £12m to £15m. No thanks, not for silly money.

When Jordon Rhodes goes for £8m to a Championship club, and Jay Rodriquez goes for £7m to a promoted team and then flops badly, I just can''t see Hughton signing many from this country.

The Championship has been well and truly pillaged of talent anyway, mostly by us and a few from Villa, Clyne at Southampton, Zaha, who is left in that league? Will take a few years of being completely ignored by Premier League teams for the league to be replenished with new Snodgrass''s and Clyne''s. Apart from Tom Ince and Matt Phillips I can''t think of anybody left to steal.

Of course, even clubs overseas will know damn well that British clubs get 50% more TV money next season. They will increase their asking prices accordingly, every Premier League team will be seen as there for the taking. The result will be the quality of the league not improving in the slightest, with exactly the same players moving to exactly the same clubs, for more money next season than they would of last season. All relative. Norwich and Hughton will have to be as shrewd as ever.

[quote user="singupcarrowroad"]That doesn''t make sense GJL, because that assumes that we would be competing with Championship and SPL clubs for their signature. The point is that the amount that we will likely have to pay for somebody like Hooper will rise because the numerous Premier League clubs who will inevitably be interested in him will also have a much larger budget next season. If anything I expect us to ignore British based targets and attempt to identify foreign signings that aren''t on the radar of other clubs, I can just see us becoming even more priced out of British players personally. Hughton pulled Tettey out of nowhere, and may well have pulled off a masterstroke with Kai Kamara, so it wouldn''t surprise me in the slightest if he continues in that vain and looks in leagues which other clubs won''t be. Can see us signing players from Scandinavia, Germany, France, Italy, Portugal, anywhere but the UK. I wonder how much somebody like Benteke will go for at the end of the season when Villa get relegated? I bet he will go for £12m to £15m. No thanks, not for silly money. When Jordon Rhodes goes for £8m to a Championship club, and Jay Rodriquez goes for £7m to a promoted team and then flops badly, I just can''t see Hughton signing many from this country. The Championship has been well and truly pillaged of talent anyway, mostly by us and a few from Villa, Clyne at Southampton, Zaha, who is left in that league? Will take a few years of being completely ignored by Premier League teams for the league to be replenished with new Snodgrass''s and Clyne''s. Apart from Tom Ince and Matt Phillips I can''t think of anybody left to steal.[/quote]

maybe I didnt word it very well, what I meant was we could pretty much have our pick of players from these league and be able to offer money that they couldnt turn down.

[quote user="singupcarrowroad"]That doesn''t make sense GJL, because that assumes that we would be competing with Championship and SPL clubs for their signature. The point is that the amount that we will likely have to pay for somebody like Hooper will rise because the numerous Premier League clubs who will inevitably be interested in him will also have a much larger budget next season. If anything I expect us to ignore British based targets and attempt to identify foreign signings that aren''t on the radar of other clubs, I can just see us becoming even more priced out of British players personally. Hughton pulled Tettey out of nowhere, and may well have pulled off a masterstroke with Kai Kamara, so it wouldn''t surprise me in the slightest if he continues in that vain and looks in leagues which other clubs won''t be. Can see us signing players from Scandinavia, Germany, France, Italy, Portugal, anywhere but the UK. I wonder how much somebody like Benteke will go for at the end of the season when Villa get relegated? I bet he will go for £12m to £15m. No thanks, not for silly money. When Jordon Rhodes goes for £8m to a Championship club, and Jay Rodriquez goes for £7m to a promoted team and then flops badly, I just can''t see Hughton signing many from this country. The Championship has been well and truly pillaged of talent anyway, mostly by us and a few from Villa, Clyne at Southampton, Zaha, who is left in that league? Will take a few years of being completely ignored by Premier League teams for the league to be replenished with new Snodgrass''s and Clyne''s. Apart from Tom Ince and Matt Phillips I can''t think of anybody left to steal.[/quote]

Is that true? He seemed to struggle at first, but now has racked up 14 starts and nine as a sub, and three goals, which is only one fewer than Holt, and Lambert is Soton''s main scorer. And Rodriguez played all the way through their last game - the win against Man City. It may have taken a while but it looks as if he has found his feet. And at 23 he has years ahead of him.

It is true that he is slowly finding his feet, but £7m is a hell of a lot of money, and 3 goals in two thirds of a season is a very poor return for that kind of investment. Benteke cost the same.

Comparing Rodriquez with Holt is a poor comparison, because one of those players has been asked to play up front on his own and one is playing a team which almost always plays two attackers and very direct football.

We''ve been through Holt''s goalscoring record a thousand times on here. If he was playing in a 4-4-2 he would have scored many more goals this season, he is isolated and not being allowed to play his natural game.

Rodriquez may come good, of course, but I''d like to think that any £7m striker that we could sign could have a much greater immediate impact.

Steve Morison cost £1.5m and banged in 9 goals last season in a 4-4-2. So yes, Rodriquez has had a poor first season.

Craig Bellamy scored 6 goals in his first season at Coventry after having signed for £6m. Four of them were penalties. Coventry were relegated. Bellamy was clear a Premier League player and went on to prove as such, but Coventry would not have considered that £6m well spent, go and ask a Coventry fan.

If Hooper signed for £7m in the summer and scored 3 goals in two thirds of a season I''d expect Norwich fans to call him a flop.

Simeon Jackson scored 3 Premier League goals in 10 starts and 12 sub appearances last season. That''s a better record than Rodriquez. So Simeon Jackson is clearly worth £7m and we should cash in immediately.

I know that Jay Rodriquez is a good player but he has simply had a bad first season and has no way justified a £7m price tag yet. Maybe he will next season, who knows, but I''ve seen him miss a lot of sitters this season. Maybe the price tag is the problem, it does seem to add pressure.