Sign in to follow this  
10Jackson

We will start two strikers next game!

Hughton will start two strikers next game against Everton! Like he said last game he would have started holt and Becchio! I really think he will stick with this idea and go 4-4-2

Bunn

R. Martin Turner. Bassong. Garrido

Snoddy. Tettey. Johnson. Pilkington

Holt. Becchio!

Why is two strikers so much more attacking than one and Hoolahan?

Snod and Pilks may not be quite as advanced and Holt will still go wondering about...

If the wingers aren''t on form and putting decent balls into the box, taking on the full backs then it''s pretty pointless playing two upfront. Both our primary wingers seem better at cutting inside, it''s what they like to do. If we do go with Holt and Becchio, I''d like to see Bennett start on the right.

I just want to point out Spurs (away) aside when we have played 4-4-2 this season we have been absolutely dreadful. We''ve also been knocked out at home to a non league side playing it.

We''re simply not scoring. Hughton therefore needs to change tactics. Holt and Becchio in the same formation would be a step in the right direction. Home draws, coupled with narrow defeats, will not keep us in the PL.

You need someone who can use the ball well in the middle and keep it well when needed. I''d rather have Hoolahoops in there in some ways. Hopefully in summer we''ll go for a good quality CM. Maybe one of the young Wigan lads or abroad

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Why is two strikers so much more attacking than one and Hoolahan? Snod and Pilks may not be quite as advanced and Holt will still go wondering about... If the wingers aren''t on form and putting decent balls into the box, taking on the full backs then it''s pretty pointless playing two upfront. Both our primary wingers seem better at cutting inside, it''s what they like to do. If we do go with Holt and Becchio, I''d like to see Bennett start on the right.[/quote]

Snodgrass is one of the first names on the teamsheet. He has been our most dangerous and productive player for most of the season.

Didn''t say Snodgrass not start, just Bennett on the right.

I am not one of the people who is obsessed with Snodgrass needing to play on the left because he''s left footed, he''s a right winger, and his style is suited to playing there rather than the left. But his style, from what we''ve seen so far, and this may be down to Holt not actually ever being in the box, his style isn''t to get the ball into the box all that often. He does cross the ball, but not as much as Bennett would/does from the right. If Holt and Becchio are playing, maybe he will. I also think Bennett is a more accurate crosser.

Snoddy doesn''t put so many croses in because there is nobody in the box to actually try and get it to so if we played 2 strikers then there would be more people in the box so there is reason for putting the ball in the box meaning that there will be more goals scored!

I''m also not sure that 442 will make much of a difference. If anything, it has the potential to make us less of a threat, as we''ve basically got no link between the defensive midfield and the attack.

The reason we rarely look a threat is that we rarely keep enough of the ball in dangerous areas. We don''t move it around well enough and we don''t probe for gaps. I don''t think swapping Hoolahan for Becchio is going to resolve that problem with a click of the fingers.

Now I don''t really want to get into another debate about Johnson and Tettey''s merits etc. but they''re both very similar players and neither are particularly creative. I don''t think Fox is necessarily good enough either (and certainly not to come straight in with virtually no match practice all season), but that is an area I would address next - a holding midfielder who can read the game well and offer the defence some protection but who can also pass the ball around a bit. I think that would do far more for our ball retention, creativity and chance creation than simply swapping an attacking midfielder for a striker.

David Fox could have been the answer earlier in the season but it''s too late for him now - lacking match sharpness/fitness and clearly not rated by CH.

In the summer buying a holding player with the ability to pass and break up play is a must. Johnson and Tettey are just too similar and offer little else but two tackling midfield players.

Just to add my thoughts about a couple of things...

I think it''s irrelevant to cite our earlier failed attempts at playing to up front because we now have different forwards. This also applies in making changes from the bench.

Snodgrass has been really succesful on the right. It''s not all about cutting in onto his left foot and shooting because he has been equally dangerous crossing from outside with his right. Everton are really strong down their left side so that''s another reason not to change something that''s worked perfectly well all season.

I''m aware that without Wes we''ll be missing creativity.

But we need goals.

No Wes = more direct

I dont get why people are so obsessed with 4-4-2 or two strikers anyway and think it will be the game changer for more offensive style.

You dont have to look very far to see that almost every team that relies in attacking football and scoring goals is using 1 striker these days. ( Real Madrid, Bayern, Arsenal, Tottenham to mention few)

It is not about how many strikers you have, it is about where your middlefield support gets.

If we change Hoolahan and keep both Tettey and Johnson on the field, we wont be any more offensive that we were in previous games, most likely we will just play long balls as we have no-one in the pocket for link the ball to our strikers.

Also our wingers needs to cut more deep to support full backs that Tettey or Johnson can go to do Hoolys job and disturb opponents build-up play or Holt has to drop down to do it and he is quite much slower to run back forward than Hooly would be so we would have no more bodies at front.

Simplier put the game is not about how many strikers you have on the field or everyone would play with 11 of them.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]We''re simply not scoring. Hughton therefore needs to change tactics. Holt and Becchio in the same formation would be a step in the right direction. Home draws, coupled with narrow defeats, will not keep us in the PL.[/quote]

No offence Highland, but how do you know this? If we start like that and get another 0-0, what will your response be? I''m not against it, but as someone else suggests above, if you go with two strikers, do you leave out Hoolahan?

The team proposed above appears pretty devoid of attacking creativity. Unless I suppose you give Tettey licence to roam forward. Just saying it''s not as simple as "play holt and becchio" and all is well.

...that was meant to highlight the sentence "Holt and Becchio in the same formation would be a step in the right direction"

That''s what i''m questioning the poster on.

Perhaps the question that should be asked is "If we play two up front can we still play Tettey and Johnson in the centre of midfield?"

Nutty, I can''t remember Snodgrass ever being dangerous crossing with his right, I can hardly remember him even using us right foot.

Most of these posts are ignoring the fact that Hughton is an extremely negative manager.

We COULD play 4-4-2. We COULD play Wes and two strikers. We COULD drop Tettey or Johnson. We COULD play Snoddy on the left, and even Pilks on the left.

However, none of these things will ever happen because CH has his rigid formation and way of playing and it never changes, it''s the way we set-up against the best teams in the division and the teams that are there for the beating.

Even the notion of swapping the wingers between the flanks during a game is never considered (i.e. getting our wide players on their decent foot for periods of games).

To sum it up we''re just incredibly predictable.

[quote user="AJ"]I''m aware that without Wes we''ll be missing creativity.

But we need goals.

No Wes = more direct[/quote]

more direct = hope this doesn''t lead to the long hopeful ball = Stoke

Is Becchio a champion of scoring from long balls ? He seems to be preferred by most due to his championship goals - could maybe

more direct = Kamara ??

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Nutty, I can''t remember Snodgrass ever being dangerous crossing with his right, I can hardly remember him even using us right foot.[/quote]

The goal against Spurs and the two great chances Wes has spring to mind from recent games.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xx5iur_norwich-city-1-1-tottenham-hotspur-goals-highlights_sport

http://www.totalfootballmadness.com/2013/02/03/qpr-0-0-norwich-highlighta/

Xavid - we have been quite predictable, but I don''t think this is too big of a step. As discussed above, it''s not really sacrificing anything from the defensive set up of the team to swap Hoolahan for Becchio. Holt will probably be asked to work in and nip at their defensive midfielders, and then the rest of the midfield and defence works much as it usually does, so I don''t think Hughton would becompletely against it - but for those same reasons, it''s not necessarily going to improve our goalscoring capablilities either.

GP - Snodgrass not being able to use his right foot is far more of a myth than any that go around about Johnson not being able to pass. He''s not completely two footed, but he can still provide a very decent ball in with his right foot.

AJ/Sixpack - I''m not sure that being direct is necessarily what''s wrong. I think it''s ball retention and being able to probe, be patient and play that killer ball at the right time. For that, taking Hoolahan out of the team is probably a mistake. It''s more likely to be the wingers that need to be more direct if that''s the issue we need to address. How often do either of them put their head down, go past their man and put in a cross? Nowhere near enough. Maybe Kamara on the wing to run at people with real pace and power could be an idea.

Aggy, the problem is the Wingers, as Snodgrass said to the press after our last game - is that the times when they do run at and beat the man there''s never anybody in the middle to cross to because Holt roves all over the pitch to help get the crosses in - this is fine in a 4-4-4 as your other forward and opposite winger should be in or around the box.

The problem is Hoolahoop does get into positions but he''s never going to out-jump or win headers against big defenders. Becchio won nearly ever header in our last game.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Nutty, I can''t remember Snodgrass ever being dangerous crossing with his right, I can hardly remember him even using us right foot.[/quote]
Have to disagree with this, i thought in recent weeks we have seen an improvement in his crossing with his right foot, no doubt this has been drilled into him since the fact he always cuts back in must make him much easier to read