Sign in to follow this  
booklet

Diamond and Hughton's style

Has everyone abandoned the idea of ever using the diamond? I appreciate Hughton will never use it, so it''s almost pointless talking about, but we''ve become preoccupied with either 4-4-1-1 or occasionally 4-4-2.

I wouldn''t advocate the diamond, or any other formation, to be used constantly, but I like it as a change because i think it is more aggressive and more likely to result in scoring goals and winning games. I know it will mean more losses and more goals conceded as well.

What players would people like with the diamond? I''d be happy to have a lot more rotation in the side, like we did under Lambert. It keeps the players on their toes and makes you far less predictable to the opposition.

I don''t want to bash Hughton too much...well maybe i do, but I loathe his approach to the game. We are in an acceptable position in the league, but I think in the long run he will be a disaster (I really hope i''m wrong). His style would make far more sense when you only got 2 points for a win and 1 for a draw, but since wins are so valuable under the current system, surely it makes more sense to try and win games and not simply trying not to lose them.

Take the Liverpool away game. That was, as the United game will be, to all intents and purposes a free game. Noone is expecting you to get a result. So why just play passive, negative football? I liken it to a boxing match. If your the Champ and the rank outsider is up against you, how do you want him to box? You want him to be timid and allow you to dominate. The last thing you really want is him to come out swinging, because although most of the time you will be able to exploit him leaving himself open, there will be the odd occasion where he lands a lucky punch. I''m not saying Norwich need to play kamikaze football, but in those types of games what is there to lose? Away from home, Norwich over the years have had good times and bad times. When we''ve won, was it when we played attacking or defensive football?

Hughton is attempting to to turn Norwich into a 1-0 side. Whilst I''m pleased the defence looks a bit better, what is the cost? Norwich have never been and I don''t think ever will be a 1-0 side. When we finsihed 3rd in Premier League, won the Championship, got 2 successive promotions, finished 12th in the Prem what style did we employ! I think that i''ve laboured that point enough now.

I am getting bored of Hughton singing the praises of the opposition. After the Fulham game he came on and said how wonderful Fulham are. Fulham, away from home, are a poor, unadventurous side that were there for the taking. He said it was a risk to bring on Kamara with 3 minutes to go...I''m sorry but that it just beyond feeble. Away at Liverpool, we weren''t playing well enough to bring on a second striker...so the best option was to pose no attacking threat and get spanked 5-0.

Lastly, I hate the way he leaves players out for ages, plays them for 20 minutes, they don''t play well and he then, falsely, confirms to himself that these players are not good enough. How can he have taken a side that played as they did last year with largely the same players and turned into the dross that we saw v Newcastle, Luton and Fulham.

Not sure why Mcnally appointed the anti Lambert, but he did and it would be unfair to sack him. Are you looking forward to Hughton''s reign? Would you give him 15-20 millin in the summer?

I don''t want to be negative, because I think we have some really good players, but the last the manner of the performances recently has been depressing.

Rant over.

I think Hughton''s job is to keep us in the Prem any which way he sees fit,and build a solid foundation on which to move on from. It ain''t pretty at the moment but our defence is reasonably solid. The attacking options need working on and will need investment in the summer.

I am looking forward to next season with him,and hope he is given as much funds as possible.

If he keeps us in the prem which is his main objective then its job done.

The big test will be next season, no one can say they enjoy the way we play, but it would be interesting to see who we bring in. I dont think its as easy as getting a striker in or ball playing midfielder when we still have the same mentality as this season.

If we want to play better football and score more goals then we need to change our mentality not necesarrly the players and im not so sure if CH will

Time will tell

If we want to play better football and score more goals then we need to change our mentality not necesarrly the players and im not so sure if CH will.

I agree with this. People are not criticising the players, because there are no players (maybe excluding Surman) who I see on the team sheet and groan. CH will not change his mentality. I think McNally should see this and get rid in the summer before giving him 15-20m to spend. All the money in the world won''t change his negative style, which will ultimately lead to a sad, feeble,lifeless relegation.

You could have saved yourself a few hundred typed words by just writing Hughton out.

How do you know he won''t change his style once his team is in place?

[quote user="booklet"]Has everyone abandoned the idea of ever using the diamond? I appreciate Hughton will never use it, so it''s almost pointless talking about, but we''ve become preoccupied with either 4-4-1-1 or occasionally 4-4-2.

I wouldn''t advocate the diamond, or any other formation, to be used constantly, but I like it as a change because i think it is more aggressive and more likely to result in scoring goals and winning games. I know it will mean more losses and more goals conceded as well.

What players would people like with the diamond? I''d be happy to have a lot more rotation in the side, like we did under Lambert. It keeps the players on their toes and makes you far less predictable to the opposition.

I don''t want to bash Hughton too much...well maybe i do, but I loathe his approach to the game. We are in an acceptable position in the league, but I think in the long run he will be a disaster (I really hope i''m wrong). His style would make far more sense when you only got 2 points for a win and 1 for a draw, but since wins are so valuable under the current system, surely it makes more sense to try and win games and not simply trying not to lose them.

Take the Liverpool away game. That was, as the United game will be, to all intents and purposes a free game. Noone is expecting you to get a result. So why just play passive, negative football? I liken it to a boxing match. If your the Champ and the rank outsider is up against you, how do you want him to box? You want him to be timid and allow you to dominate. The last thing you really want is him to come out swinging, because although most of the time you will be able to exploit him leaving himself open, there will be the odd occasion where he lands a lucky punch. I''m not saying Norwich need to play kamikaze football, but in those types of games what is there to lose? Away from home, Norwich over the years have had good times and bad times. When we''ve won, was it when we played attacking or defensive football?

Hughton is attempting to to turn Norwich into a 1-0 side. Whilst I''m pleased the defence looks a bit better, what is the cost? Norwich have never been and I don''t think ever will be a 1-0 side. When we finsihed 3rd in Premier League, won the Championship, got 2 successive promotions, finished 12th in the Prem what style did we employ! I think that i''ve laboured that point enough now.

I am getting bored of Hughton singing the praises of the opposition. After the Fulham game he came on and said how wonderful Fulham are. Fulham, away from home, are a poor, unadventurous side that were there for the taking. He said it was a risk to bring on Kamara with 3 minutes to go...I''m sorry but that it just beyond feeble. Away at Liverpool, we weren''t playing well enough to bring on a second striker...so the best option was to pose no attacking threat and get spanked 5-0.

Lastly, I hate the way he leaves players out for ages, plays them for 20 minutes, they don''t play well and he then, falsely, confirms to himself that these players are not good enough. How can he have taken a side that played as they did last year with largely the same players and turned into the dross that we saw v Newcastle, Luton and Fulham.

Not sure why Mcnally appointed the anti Lambert, but he did and it would be unfair to sack him. Are you looking forward to Hughton''s reign? Would you give him 15-20 millin in the summer?

I don''t want to be negative, because I think we have some really good players, but the last the manner of the performances recently has been depressing.

Rant over.[/quote]

did we play negative football in the wins against Arsenal and Man u at home this season? playing the 4-4-1-1?? I agree playing two strikers is wise, even playing the diamond on occasion could work for us very well, depending on the opposition though. Will you bash Hughtons managerial style and the 4-4-1-1 if it keeps us in the league? What about IF we beat united away, playing the same team and formation who beat them at Carrow Road? In either of these situations can you really continue to criticize his style, certainly if it wins us 6 points in the league against Man u.

[quote user="Xavid Fox"]Booklet has pretty much the same opinions as me. Hughton is a Championship manager at best. You can see why Newcastle got rid. They wanted to progress,[/quote]

And where were Newcastle when they sacked him?

Hughton has proven twice that he is more than good enough for the championship and shown he can hold his own in the Prem too. Just look at the response he got from the Newcastle fans and players, along with some of the players that have come here to play for him.

Quality managers build from the back first. Red nap, Fergie, Wenger, Hodgson and many more.

And please don''t tell me Lambert is better when he has arguably a far better attacking line up and yet plays Benteke up from on his own too and still isn''t out of trouble.

Get behind our chaps.

[quote user="Herman "]You could have saved yourself a few hundred typed words by just writing Hughton out.

How do you know he won''t change his style once his team is in place?[/quote]

True, but where''s the fun in that.

I am willing to get behind Hughton, but he needs to give us something to get behind. I haven''t been to a game like the Fulham one for a few years. A game where there was no atmosphere at all ,simply because the game didn''t warrant one. It appeared both sides had agreed upon a 0-0 prior to kick off and then just went through the motions playing the game out.

The next two home games are crucial. Against Everton the performance, as well as the result, is vital. If we play as we have then I think the fans will start murmuring louder and louder. If we then do not beat Southampton playing the same way then I really think the fans will start to turn.

This will be a shame, but the fans will only put up with it for so long and we would then be perilously close to the bottom three. I think we''ll be ok and will go 2 wins 4 draws 6 defeats from our last 12. That would leave us with 39, which looks like it will be enough. This would mean that from the last 20 matches or so we have averaged well under a point a game. Couple that with our inability to score from open play then it is getting very concerning.

Hughton won''t change his style. He had a side playing attacking football and change them to a defensive style. That side finished 12th so there is no questioning their ability, so why would he then change? He believes his approach is the right one and I think he will stick with it. How many managers have you ever seen totally change their style?

If he doesn''t fancy Howson, Fox, Surman, E Bennett, Jackson etc then he needs to get rid. WHy would they go though? Most are on contract for atleast 2 years or so more and on higher wages than they''d get elsewhere.

I like E Bennett and am disappointed that Hughton doesn''t. Don''t play a guy and then play him out of position. Long term I''d like to see him on the right and Snodgrass in the Hoolahan role. I''d like to see how Howson given a run of games instead of Tettey. I like Tettey, but him and Johnson together leaves us too short of technical ability in the centre of midfield.

Just wish he''d rotate more, give the opposition something to think about, give players chance to keep up match practice and fitness levels. His style leads to some players becoming fatigued and others woefully out of time on the pitch. This leads to predictability, staleness and unrest.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="Xavid Fox"]Booklet has pretty much the same opinions as me. Hughton is a Championship manager at best. You can see why Newcastle got rid. They wanted to progress,[/quote]

And where were Newcastle when they sacked him?

Hughton has proven twice that he is more than good enough for the championship and shown he can hold his own in the Prem too. Just look at the response he got from the Newcastle fans and players, along with some of the players that have come here to play for him.

Quality managers build from the back first. Red nap, Fergie, Wenger, Hodgson and many more.

And please don''t tell me Lambert is better when he has arguably a far better attacking line up and yet plays Benteke up from on his own too and still isn''t out of trouble.

Get behind our chaps.[/quote]This guy gets it, spot on mate. Get behind, or get out.

i am sure once the summer is here and the pennies are being spent we will see the true extent of Hughtons plans.I think he favours 4-2-3-1Clearly Ruddy in goal with a back 4 of Whittaker, Bassong, Turner and Garrido (if signed)Tettey to hold with Johnson3 attacking midfielders are Pilks, Kamara and WesBecchio up top.wouldnt suprise me if we give this a go this season.