Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

Perils of Foreign Ownership #92 - Cardiff City

[quote user="Ches right hand man "]But it seems they''re getting prem football next year, swings and roundabouts.[/quote]Interesting.  So hypothetically you''d be happy for foreign owners to rebrand Norwich City as "the Dragons" and change the badge and kit colour if it meant a better chance of getting into the Premier League?

"So hypothetically you''d be happy for foreign owners to rebrand Norwich City as "the Dragons" and change the badge and kit colour if it meant a better chance of getting into the Premier League?"

Well, if I was wiz...

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Ches right hand man "]But it seems they''re getting prem football next year, swings and roundabouts.
[/quote]

Interesting. 

So hypothetically you''d be happy for foreign owners to rebrand Norwich City as "the Dragons" and change the badge and kit colour if it meant a better chance of getting into the Premier League?

[/quote]

Some of the Taffs will be temporarily happy with the rebrand if they get into the premier league. Whether they remain happy if they stay up will be a different matter. By the unhappiness on this forum since it sunk in that we had ground to a halt mid-table I would expect they won''t.

The badge and kit colours can always be changed back if the owner sell up and get bored, but in the mean time the foreign owner is pumping a lot of money into the club with the manager playing attractive attacking football.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Ches right hand man "]But it seems they''re getting prem football next year, swings and roundabouts.[/quote]Interesting.  So hypothetically you''d be happy for foreign owners to rebrand Norwich City as "the Dragons" and change the badge and kit colour if it meant a better chance of getting into the Premier League?[/quote]

Some of the Taffs will be temporarily happy with the rebrand if they get into the premier league. Whether they remain happy if they stay up will be a different matter. By the unhappiness on this forum since it sunk in that we had ground to a halt mid-table I would expect they won''t.

[/quote]Putting the "Taffs" to one side, how would you feel if this was Norwich City we were talking about?

So if we moved away from Carrow Road, changed our colours, changed our badge, changed the owners and even changed our nickname..............

.......................................................... what would actually be us ?

The piece is way over the top:

Who knows what further insults will be thrown at the memory of Bart Wilson, Fred Stewart and the millions of other who helped build a national institution over a century, only to see it demolished in a single shameful season.

I don''t think being top of the Championship equates to a national institution having been demolished. If I was a Cardiff fan I would be miffed by the change, but it is essentially superficial, no matter how much emotional baggage there is attached. I would pay more attention to how the club is run as far as the business and footballing essentials are concerned.

This may not prove to be the case but given a choice between owners whose only mistake was to change the club colours and, say, the Venkys, who have kept Blackburn''s blue and white halves but got everything else wrong, I''d plump for the former.

You mean a little like Norwich City now wearing yellow and green?

I am definitely disgusted by this change of kit colour and want to return to blue and white immediately.

Because we all love blue and white here, don''t we?

We should also ditch this awful new nickname "The Canaries".

"The Citizens" sounded so much better.

This new Canary standing a ball badge has to go as well, was far better without the ball and the stupid castle.

And this crappy 27000 seater.... could cram 40000 in at The Nest.

Is this the same Cardiff which has been in financial chaos over the past years with Sam Haman ( wrong name / spelling? ) loading the club with debt etc.

Lets not allow facts to get in the way of good story.

"All that history, heritage and tradition undone in one season because of a whim by some cash-rich Malaysians"

The same changes could be undone in one season too.

[quote user="singupcarrowroad"]You mean a little like Norwich City now wearing yellow and green?

I am definitely disgusted by this change of kit colour and want to return to blue and white immediately.

Because we all love blue and white here, don''t we?

We should also ditch this awful new nickname "The Canaries".

"The Citizens" sounded so much better.

This new Canary standing a ball badge has to go as well, was far better without the ball and the stupid castle.

And this crappy 27000 seater.... could cram 40000 in at The Nest.[/quote]

You could have an argument in an empty room!!!

Cardiff didn''t even wear blue for the first 9 years of their life and between 1926–1930 they wore sky blue like Coventry.

The article also fails to acknowledge that Cardiff changed their club badge in 1988, 2003, and 2008, before this latest change.

Hardly steeped in ancient tradition with three rebrands in 20 years pre-takeover.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

The piece is way over the top:Who knows what further insults will be thrown at the memory of Bart Wilson, Fred Stewart and the millions of other who helped build a national institution over a century, only to see it demolished in a single shameful season.I don''t think being top of the Championship equates to a national institution having been demolished. If I was a Cardiff fan I would be miffed by the change, but it is essentially superficial, no matter how much emotional baggage there is attached. I would pay more attention to how the club is run as far as the business and footballing essentials are concerned.

This may not prove to be the case but given a choice between owners whose only mistake was to change the club colours and, say, the Venkys, who have kept Blackburn''s blue and white halves but got everything else wrong, I''d plump for the former.

[/quote]I think the point is that, as with most matters of ownership, fans aren''t given a choice.If this was Norwich City, you would only be "miffed", would you?

I look a bit like my avatar, just without the boobs, the long hair, and with about five extra stone in weight. There is also a fair bit more hair on my chest.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

The piece is way over the top:

Who knows what further insults will be thrown at the memory of Bart Wilson, Fred Stewart and the millions of other who helped build a national institution over a century, only to see it demolished in a single shameful season.

I don''t think being top of the Championship equates to a national institution having been demolished. If I was a Cardiff fan I would be miffed by the change, but it is essentially superficial, no matter how much emotional baggage there is attached. I would pay more attention to how the club is run as far as the business and footballing essentials are concerned.

[/quote]

I think the point is that, as with most matters of ownership, fans aren''t given a choice.

If this was Norwich City, you would only be "miffed", would you?

[/quote]

OK Chops. I plead guilty to a bit of understatement there for dramatic effect. That said, clubs do change their colours, and having the team from Wales''s capital play in red seems appropriate. It is the national colour. It does strike me as a less shocking move than it would be for Norwich City to start playing in something other than yellow and green.

But what really matters is how well or badly, this decision apart, this lot run Cardiff. As another poster pointed out, the club has had serious financial troubles; there was a real danger of administration. The hyperbolic Cardiff fan needs a sense of perspective. What really can demolish a national instiution in a short space of time is not some kit change but financial mismanagement.

In "the most awful thing the wicked boards can do to the fans" currency how many corner hotels make one change of kit and badge?

[quote user="Mister Chops"]http://ffwtbol.co.uk/2013/02/20/the-life-and-death-of-the-bluebird-1910-2013/Great article here for those interested in the potential pitfalls of foreign ownership.All that history, heritage and tradition undone in one season because of a whim by some cash-rich Malaysians.Careful what you wish for....[/quote]

The article makes it clear that the Cardiff kit has changed frequently over the years, so why the fuss.

All I can see is Mr. Chop''s xenophobic streak on display as when British owners change kit I don''t see posts about the "perils of British ownership"

In my time supporting City we''ve gone from black shorts to green shorts to yellow shorts to green shorts.

When will the madness end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote user="singupcarrowroad"]I look a bit like my avatar, just without the boobs, the long hair, and with about five extra stone in weight. There is also a fair bit more hair on my chest.[/quote]Women with hairy chests are, it must be said even in these enlightened times, are still pretty thin on the ground.....[:D]