Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Oh for the days when you just 'turned up'

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]If you had taken your stool along you''d have had a better chance of spotting him!  [:)][/quote]Wiz would have been the one on the stool Bly, I''m much older than him.I can clearly remember Ken Oxford, Tommy Johnston and Johnny Gavin, he can''t! [;)]Can you? [^o)][/quote]Yes, but can you remember Oscar Hold and Len Dutton?

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]If you had taken your stool along you''d have had a better chance of spotting him!  [:)][/quote]Wiz would have been the one on the stool Bly, I''m much older than him.I can clearly remember Ken Oxford, Tommy Johnston and Johnny Gavin, he can''t! [;)]Can you? [^o)][/quote]Yes, but can you remember Oscar Hold and Len Dutton?[/quote]The names don''t ring a bell Ricardo but a few others spring to mind like Reg Faulkes, Billy Coxon, and Peter Gordon. Can''t remember too much about them though.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Zak Burger"]Ayy those were days mind you seats and roofs were for the Toffs and softies in my day, we used to have to go down t''river and dredge up a bucket of mud to stand on.[img]http://www.stadiumguide.com/wp-content/gallery/carrowroadpast/carrowroadpast1.jpg[/img][/quote]I''ve had a careful  look though the crowd and Wiz was definitely not there that day......[/quote]

If you had taken your stool along you''d have had a better chance of spotting him!  [:)]

OTBC

[/quote]I think this picture was taken the day of the "Parker Out!!" protest, I''ve blown it up to a million times magnification and can clearly see an elderly man in the car park waving a placard and placing "How much is Capt Barclay pocketing from the proposed roof on the station end" stickers on the cars. It couldn''t be could it?

[quote user="Zak Burger"]I think this picture was taken the day of the "Parker Out!!" protest, I''ve blown it up to a million times magnification and can clearly see an elderly man in the car park waving a placard and placing "How much is Capt Barclay pocketing from the proposed roof on the station end" stickers on the cars. It couldn''t be could it?[/quote]Just to think Zak, the fag packet accountants often had to do their sums on the back of five Woodbine (and sometimes three) packets unlike their modern day counterparts who had the luxury of twenty Superkings! [8-|]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Zak Burger"]I think this picture was taken the day of the "Parker Out!!" protest, I''ve blown it up to a million times magnification and can clearly see an elderly man in the car park waving a placard and placing "How much is Capt Barclay pocketing from the proposed roof on the station end" stickers on the cars. It couldn''t be could it?[/quote]Just to think Zak, the fag packet accountants often had to do their sums on the back of five Woodbine (and sometimes three) packets unlike their modern day counterparts who had the luxury of twenty Superkings! [8-|][/quote]Crikey yes those packets were tiny, and what with there being three columns back then of £ S d instead of just £ p and a billion being a million millions it''s little surprise that to this day we still don''t know how much Captain Evelyn Barclay made out that roof deal....

[quote user="Zak Burger"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Zak Burger"]I think this picture was taken the day of the "Parker Out!!" protest, I''ve blown it up to a million times magnification and can clearly see an elderly man in the car park waving a placard and placing "How much is Capt Barclay pocketing from the proposed roof on the station end" stickers on the cars. It couldn''t be could it?[/quote]

Just to think Zak, the fag packet accountants often had to do their sums on the back of five Woodbine (and sometimes three) packets unlike their modern day counterparts who had the luxury of twenty Superkings! [8-|]
[/quote]

Crikey yes those packets were tiny, and what with there being three columns back then of £ S d instead of just £ p and a billion being a million millions it''s little surprise that to this day we still don''t know how much Captain Evelyn Barclay made out that roof deal....
[/quote]

And some of us took snuff instead. You try writing complicated mathematical calculations on those little metal boxes snuff came in...

"How much is Capt Barclay pocketing from the proposed roof on the station end" stickers on the cars"

A very effective protest, as there was not a roof put on any of the three remaining stands until way after 1958 (the year of our memorable cup run, so it seems)

I think the fear was that any roof might block the view of the cathedral, for those sat in the Main Stand - or Wensum Stand as many affectionately called it, much as the South Stand was refered to as the City Stand.

[quote user="Zak Burger"]Crikey yes those packets were tiny, and what with there being three columns back then of £ S d instead of just £ p and a billion being a million millions it''s little surprise that to this day we still don''t know how much Captain Evelyn Barclay made out that roof deal....[/quote]Just as there''s only one man alive who knows how much Watling walleted, there''s probably only Delia''s mum who know how much Barclay binned. [;)]

[quote user="Zak Burger"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Zak Burger"]Ayy those were days mind you seats and roofs were for the Toffs and softies in my day, we used to have to go down t''river and dredge up a bucket of mud to stand on.[img]http://www.stadiumguide.com/wp-content/gallery/carrowroadpast/carrowroadpast1.jpg[/img][/quote]I''ve had a careful  look though the crowd and Wiz was definitely not there that day......[/quote]

If you had taken your stool along you''d have had a better chance of spotting him!  [:)]

OTBC

[/quote]I think this picture was taken the day of the "Parker Out!!" protest, I''ve blown it up to a million times magnification and can clearly see an elderly man in the car park waving a placard and placing "How much is Capt Barclay pocketing from the proposed roof on the station end" stickers on the cars. It couldn''t be could it?[/quote]The Barclay stand was covered in 1937. A long time before Tom Parker was manager and Ricardo not yet a gleam in his father''s eye.

Whereas previously the claim had been memory playing tricks. Which must have some truth, as when we were recently told that there was a Wensum Stand as there was a sign on the Main Stand refering to Wensum Lounge .......... which suggests what he had forgotten what he had previously told us.

So it''s either memory loss or there is a Wensum Stand. Or someone simply making up stuff about attending Carrow Road.

(perhaps someone could explain that the Main Stand was simply the Main Stand in the days he was talking about and was not ''divided'' up into various lounges)

A couple of points arise from this photo, which I believe was taken for the visit of George V, hence the capacity crowd?

I wasn''t around then (still another 30 years before I arrived on this earth) but does anyone know if on a relatively quiet match it was possible to be behind the goal for each half so you were always close to the action when the Yellows scored (or yellow and green striped ones I think at the time).  That is no lateral fencing?

Also I can see that there are quite a few people either leaving early or arriving late at the back of the River End (nothing changes!).

I got all the questions about the Millwall photo right - I was in the South Stand that day.

[quote user="ricardo"]
The Barclay stand was covered in 1937. A long time before Tom Parker was manager and Ricardo not yet a gleam in his father''s eye.
[/quote]

surely shome mishtake 

as one chap has - "Oh so very true, hell, I can remember no roofs on 3 stands!" and he has often told us how he has been supporting City since 1958

[quote user="shefcanary"]Also I can see that there are quite a few people either leaving early or arriving late at the back of the River End (nothing changes!).[/quote]I think it was 1957 and they had been ejected for not throwing coins on the pitch........

I can remember the just turn up days, pocket money at the turnstile and you were in. Great stuff.

I have ''Just turned up'' at least twice in the last 12 months, join the ticket office queue and bought a ticket. Last time was Fulham last week, but best one was the last visit of Man City, got the only ticket in the ground 20 mins before kick off. I must say I was asked for my Super memeber number.

Not pocket money though!

That was a bit of a teaser Purple. I was fooled, like others, by the Pat Jennings like hair cut. So thought it might have been from the Spurs game the following season, which I think was a 1-1 draw. But I believe we scored at the Barclay end that day - but my memory may be tricking me. Anybody remember?

Like Ricardo I was also behind the River End goal for that Millwall game. Can also remember there was a fair bit of sentimental commentary that season about whether Harry Cripps would get to play 1st division football, which ultimately (and perhaps fortunately for us) was not to be,.

king about the River End:

[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_b18c7MPDMw4/S-L3R-NaQAI/AAAAAAAAA24/X9bAr2gE464/s1600/1935-09-14+Carrow+Rd.jpg[/img]

Now thats spartan.

[quote user="Sussexyellow"]That was a bit of a teaser Purple. I was fooled, like others, by the Pat Jennings like hair cut. So thought it might have been from the Spurs game the following season, which I think was a 1-1 draw. But I believe we scored at the Barclay end that day - but my memory may be tricking me. Anybody remember? Like Ricardo I was also behind the River End goal for that Millwall game. Can also remember there was a fair bit of sentimental commentary that season about whether Harry Cripps would get to play 1st division football, which ultimately (and perhaps fortunately for us) was not to be,.[/quote]

Sussex, I had to look it up to confirm, but we won 2-1. Two from David Cross. It has stuck in my mind all these years because we achieved a north London double early on that season, beating Arsenal at home 3-2, which prompted a complaint from Alan Ball, using classic footballing logic, that since two of our goals had come from defensive mistakes Arsenal were the moral 2-1 victors. What he failed to point out was that both the Arsenal goals came from our defensive errors, so the real moral scoreline was 1-0 to us. The one not so preventable goal in the whole game being a fine header from David Cross.

[quote user="Wiz"]

[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_b18c7MPDMw4/S-L3R-NaQAI/AAAAAAAAA24/X9bAr2gE464/s1600/1935-09-14+Carrow+Rd.jpg[/img]

Now thats spartan.

[/quote]

Is that an allotment in the foreground?????

[quote user="Sussexyellow"]That was a bit of a teaser Purple. I was fooled, like others, by the Pat Jennings like hair cut. So thought it might have been from the Spurs game the following season, which I think was a 1-1 draw. But I believe we scored at the Barclay end that day - but my memory may be tricking me. Anybody remember?

Like Ricardo I was also behind the River End goal for that Millwall game. Can also remember there was a fair bit of sentimental commentary that season about whether Harry Cripps would get to play 1st division football, which ultimately (and perhaps fortunately for us) was not to be,.[/quote]

The clue was Ken Foggo. As City 1st rightly commented, it had to be the Division 2 promotion year because Foggo never played for us in Division 1.In the Spurs game the following year we won 2-1. David Cross scored a goal in each half.

[quote user="Lord Horn"][quote user="Wiz"]

Now thats spartan.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hells teeth, it looks like it![:O]

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="Lord Horn"][quote user="Wiz"]

Now thats spartan.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hells teeth, it looks like it![:O]

[/quote]

Pre-Delia sustainable organic catering suppliers [:D]

[quote user="Bert sneakers"]I honestly thought Wiz was a teenager until I see this thread, well I never boy. How old are you Wiz?[/quote]

Middle 60s......ish?

[quote user="Bert sneakers"]I honestly thought Wiz was a teenager until I see this thread, well I never boy.

How old are you Wiz?[/quote]63 (and I''d always put it down to old age)......

My Dad used to tell me loads of stories about the good old days at ncfc and one was how people used to throw their cushions on the pitch from the City Stand when we lost. Does anyone here remember that ? [:D]

[quote user="cityangel"]My Dad used to tell me loads of stories about the good old days at ncfc and one was how people used to throw their cushions on the pitch from the City Stand when we lost. Does anyone here remember that ? [:D][/quote]

Now i know that i am not old enough to be your Dad but even i remember it happening in the 60''s and early 70''s and i seem to recall that under Ron Saunders we were threatened with ground closure by the FA due to problems with cushion throwing at a game i think v Charlton. You really need one of the old ''uns on here like Lapp or even Wiz to help you further. [:)]

Thanks for the correction guys. Not sure how I have obliterated that fine win from my memory. My main recollection of that game is Martin Chivers scoring for them with CR being eeriely quiet at that moment. Think I was in siege mentality for most of that season!

As commented earlier this has been a refreshing thread to read.

OTBC