Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Oh for the days when you just 'turned up'

No season ticket, no membership you just turned up, joined the queue at the turnstile of your choice and joined the huge crowd at Carrow Road. oh happy days.

And doesn''t that look better than a ruddy hotel?

.... the Allied forces won the war, bread was tuppence H''penny. Wagon wheels were the size of a tea plate and Dros mcMullan was the object of every mans affection... you could go out and leave your doors unlocked..back in my day...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mq59ykPnAE

It was when they put the roof on those three stands that things started to go downhill, should never have got rid of the views of the Cathedral.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Those were the days huh?

What were the disabled facilities like[:^)]

[/quote]

Wouldn''t know, didn''t need them back then!

Although I can recall these invalid carriages at the River End:

[img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_b18c7MPDMw4/S6EeeOLXlUI/AAAAAAAAANw/Pd3rSj25-Zw/s1600/227.JPG[/img]

Yes, I''m sure all of us who went back in the 60s/70s can recall them. I wonder how those guys got refreshments or even went to the loo? Perhaps they had anold Wincarnis bottle and a funnel[:^)]

Back in the days of gazing on from the terracing... a couple of blokes carrying a board around the side of the pitch with the half time draw numbers on it.

The same two blokes carrying around a board with Golden Goal times on, only to see another being scored while midway round...

The cars parked pitch side at one end......

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Those were the days huh?

[/quote]

[img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_b18c7MPDMw4/S6EeeOLXlUI/AAAAAAAAANw/Pd3rSj25-Zw/s1600/227.JPG[/img]

[/quote]

Since it is so quiet here, which game is that picture from, who is the opposition keeper, and why in the long run that season was that game so important for both sides? No peeking allowed!

Ayy those were days mind you seats and roofs were for the Toffs and softies in my day, we used to have to go down t''river and dredge up a bucket of mud to stand on.[img]http://www.stadiumguide.com/wp-content/gallery/carrowroadpast/carrowroadpast1.jpg[/img]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Wiz"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Those were the days huh?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Since it is so quiet here, which game is that picture from, who is the opposition keeper, and why in the long run that season was that game so important for both sides? No peeking allowed!

[/quote]

At a complete guess - I''d say, judging by the keeper''s hair - it was against Spurs and it was Pat Jeninngs in goal - as to the importance, no idea

[quote user="Muffles"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Wiz"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Those were the days huh?

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

At a complete guess - I''d say, judging by the keeper''s hair - it was against Spurs and it was Pat Jeninngs in goal - as to the importance, no idea

[/quote]

Looks like Phil Parkes, QPR

not sure of the date as the only one I could think of would be ''71/72 but I''m not too sure if we scored against them at home - went away on Easter monday where a pile of Millwall turned up

looks like Paddon, Foggo and Max Briggs and Alan Black (?)

[quote user="Muffles"]

At a complete guess - I''d say, judging by the keeper''s hair - it was against Spurs and it was Pat Jennings in goal - as to the importance, no idea

[/quote]I think you''re right with Jennings and Spurs, I think we lost but it was also the last game Spurs won all season and they went on to be relegated but I can''t think how the game was important to us, had we been on a long unbeaten run?

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="Muffles"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Wiz"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Those were the days huh?

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Looks like Phil Parkes, QPR

not sure of the date as the only one I could think of would be ''71/72 but I''m not too sure if we scored against them at home - went away on Easter monday where a pile of Millwall turned up

looks like Paddon, Foggo and Max Briggs and Alan Black (?)

[/quote]

It''s not QPR or Spurs.

[quote user="Wiz"]

No season ticket, no membership you just turned up, joined the queue at the turnstile of your choice and joined the huge crowd at Carrow Road. oh happy days.

And doesn''t that look better than a ruddy hotel?

[/quote]

Stop trying to wind up City 1st Wiz!

Not Spurs as they didn''t play in white shorts - and Foggo had left by then

So must be Div 1 - ''7172

judging by the state of the pitch in would have been after Xmas so I''m certain it''s Millwall, the crowd also gives it away

smart ar se me was playing chess that afternoon at Wensum Lodge and was fretting like a good ''un to get away to the game seemed like the world and his wife were going past down Kings Street - ages to get in and we had kicked off ..............

oh and we went up, they didn''t having been second for so long

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Wiz"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Those were the days huh?

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Pat Jennings Spurs

Zak, I think this must have been August 31st, 1935, that game against West ham. If you look really close you can see Wiz. Those were the days, jumpers for goal posts, cycling to the game on penny farthings, while the women stayed at home to cook tea.

[quote user="Zak Burger"]Ayy those were days mind you seats and roofs were for the Toffs and softies in my day, we used to have to go down t''river and dredge up a bucket of mud to stand on.[img]http://www.stadiumguide.com/wp-content/gallery/carrowroadpast/carrowroadpast1.jpg[/img][/quote]I''ve had a careful  look though the crowd and Wiz was definitely not there that day......

the Wensum Stand looks packed, maybe there something was on at the Cathedral that day 

[quote user="City1st"]

judging by the state of the pitch in would have been after Xmas so I''m certain it''s Millwall, the crowd also gives it away

smart ar se me was playing chess that afternoon at Wensum Lodge and was fretting like a good ''un to get away to the game seemed like the world and his wife were going past down Kings Street - ages to get in and we had kicked off ..............

[/quote]

Close enough. Division Two rather than Division One, of course. The 2-2 draw against Millwall. Those were the celebrations after Cross scored to put us 2-1 ahead. I think it came from a centre from Foggo on the right. The goalie, who does from the back look a bit like Pat Jennings, was Bryan King. A good keeper, and Millwall had some other fine players - Derek Possee, Barry Bridges, the inimitable Harry Cripps, Eamonn Dunphy, and Gordon Bolland, who scored against us that day.

The significance was that Millwall had been second or first (with only two going up) all the way through the season, but fell to third right at the death. At the time us only drawing seemed a bit of a blow but stopping Millwall from winning ended up being a crucial result. We finished first with 57 points, Birmingham second with 56 and Millwall third with 55.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Zak Burger"]Ayy those were days mind you seats and roofs were for the Toffs and softies in my day, we used to have to go down t''river and dredge up a bucket of mud to stand on.

[img]http://www.stadiumguide.com/wp-content/gallery/carrowroadpast/carrowroadpast1.jpg[/img][/quote]

I''ve had a careful  look though the crowd and Wiz was definitely not there that day......
[/quote]

If you had taken your stool along you''d have had a better chance of spotting him!  [:)]

OTBC

So, if we had all finished on 56 points (if Millwall  had beaten us, and my maths is correct) who would have gone up, as I believe it wasn''t goal difference?

[quote user="crabbycanary"]So, if we had all finished on 56 points (if Millwall  had beaten us, and my maths is correct) who would have gone up, as I believe it wasn''t goal difference?[/quote]

A good question. Back then it was goal average, with goals scored divided by goals conceded. Assuming, say, that Millwall had beaten us 3-2 instead of drawing 2-2, Birmingham would have finished top ith a GA of 1.93, we would have been second, with 1.62, and Millwall still third with 1.41. 

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="City1st"]

[/quote]

Close enough. Division Two rather than Division One, of course. The 2-2 draw against Millwall. Those were the celebrations after Cross scored to put us 2-1 ahead. I think it came from a centre from Foggo on the right. The goalie, who does from the back look a bit like Pat Jennings, was Bryan King. A good keeper, and Millwall had some other fine players - Derek Possee, Barry Bridges, the inimitable Harry Cripps, Eamonn Dunphy, and Gordon Bolland, who scored against us that day.

The significance was that Millwall had been second or first (with only two going up) all the way through the season, but fell to third right at the death. At the time us only drawing seemed a bit of a blow but stopping Millwall from winning ended up being a crucial result. We finished first with 57 points, Birmingham second with 56 and Millwall third with 55.

[/quote]

A big, big game as I remember - and a packed, full house. Days when crowd numbers changed quite dramatically from game to game. I had been down to the Den for the away game earlier. Bit hairy, and we were sitting in their main stand. Only the die hards (literally) and the reckless (stupid) went to the Den.

I managed to get in via the turnstiles next to the Main Stand then found people were even standing on the steps going up to the Barclay. Seemed to have spent ages (probably wasn''t) getting to my usual spot halfway up behind the goal.

Alway remember checking the table those last few months and trying to workout who would beat who etc and that Brum had a game in hand all the time, which I think was what pushed them above Millwall at the end.

happy days - most of them ! 

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]If you had taken your stool along you''d have had a better chance of spotting him!  [:)][/quote]Wiz would have been the one on the stool Bly, I''m much older than him.I can clearly remember Ken Oxford, Tommy Johnston and Johnny Gavin, he can''t! [;)]Can you? [^o)]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="City1st"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I stand corrected, didn''t get to many matches then, being in the boys soldiers not always able to get out of camp