Sign in to follow this  
NWC

Baines Vs Snodgrass

Personally this is a match that I would not want to see. Snoddy statistically is our most creative player and is not suited to getting bogged down by all that defense malarkey trying to combat creative full backs.

In the reverse fixture Baines was a constant threat, and all of the good stuff from everton came through him. I think we need to stop the threat of baines without stiffling our creativity. So maybe Snoddy in the hole, or even on the left?

It would have been good to have Whitaker fit for this game.

It''d be nice to see us give them something to think about. Cause them problems on that side of the pitch to make Baines think twice about going forward.

But generally we tend to pander to the opposition and look to counteract what they''re doing rather than impose ourselves on them.

[quote user="NWC"]

It would have been good to have Whitaker fit for this game.

[/quote]

Whittaker struggled against Baines last time and their goal came through his indecision.    But as someone has already pointed out Martin is keeping Whittaker out of the team on merit and Baines will cause any player a problem.  I dont think Martin is likely to fare much better TBH. 

Or are you suggesting we go with Martin and Whittaker on the right to accomodate Snod ousting wes from the middle?   Thats even more negative than Hughton [:S]

Zipper - someone else made the point in another thread (I''ll say AJ off the top of my head but could be wrong there) that it was one of Whittaker''s first games for us, and he did improve significantly in the following games.

Baines will be an issue, but let''s not forget they''ve got some pretty decent players all over the place. You double up on Baines and end up leaving the likes of Fellaini, Pienaar, Mirallas, Pienaar, Osman with extra space.

My personal preference would be for us to play a more assertive game, and try to pin Baines back - make him play as a left back should play when away from home; ie, defending! But that seems unlikely and potentially dangerous. I think there is an argument for starting Bennett on the right and Snoddy on the left, but I think whatever happens it will take a big individual performance on the day to stop Baines.

I agree with that Aggy - get Everton on the back foot is key to our chances of success.

I also agree that Whittaker continued to improve from what was his 4th of just 9 appearances for us so far and he has proved both a better signing than I expected and worthy of a prem defence.    My view is that his everton performance was  abad day of the office for him but baines and miralles caused whittaker & snodgrass all sorts of basic problems whether it was an early game or not.

My impression over the season remains that there is little difference between him and Martin and my point was that Hughton is currently preferring Martin and thats on form rather than injury.   If whittakers starts I am also happy with that - I just dont think either will manage baines any better than the other!

Now - if we had kyle naughton...   

Whittaker for me every time

Just think he is more solid than Martin and the back four is better with him. Even going forward he is pretty tidy.

Our defence was pretty tidy over that 10 game span

Whittaker is a better payer now but he got absolutely done at Goodison and it led to Everton''s goal. Not really sure who i''d rather go with but i''m edging towards Martin.