Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

Paying a Price for Undermining McNally?

How many supporters would like to turn back the clock and see the Club sell Grant Holt to West Ham for, what was it? 6 million?

In my opinion 3 million would have been a good deal.

McNally was right, in retrospect. He clearly told Holt how it was with his contract length and rather than wait his turn to have his contract dealt with, Holt spat out his dummy and disrupted our pre-season plans on top of losing Lambert.

I don''t blame Grant Holt, he could point to being a major reason for his club''s success and he put his family first and has secured their future after a career of generally low earnings.

On the flip side, where would he have been without Norwich City because I personally feel the majority of footballers give 100%, most have a skill set and level and the rest is mental application. The big variable is being in the right place at the right time ie with a team set-up that suits and a manager who believes in you. Take David Fox as an example of that.

So, accepting both player and club did well collectively and individually McNally took his usual approach, all hard skills and few soft skills and told Holt how it was. Holt kept referring to his difficulty with someone at the club and it is pretty obvious who he meant.

There is clearly no way olt can go the full length of his contract and that also means finding another club who would match it although Celtic may be an exception and it would not surprise me to see Holt headed there next season.

Hughton came in and played the new broom role to Holt''s advantage which means to McNally''s chagrin.

But for me this season proves McNally was right and should have been backed. Grant Holt fails to keep himself in shape, preferring to do his training in games as evidence by his physical improvement when he plays several games in succession and how slowly he starts the seasons.

The lack of goals is interesting. Grant works all over the pitch whereas Becchio played like a centre forward. Snodgrass has put in more crosses than any other EPL player and yet Grant Holt seldom gets on the end of things.

Has Norwich City paid a price for undermining its CEO and if you could turn the clock back would you have called Grant Holt''s bluff and similarly would you be lining him up to leave at the end of the season?

When you give your answer consider whether you are applying McNally head or Delia heart.

For me it''s not a question of sides, we''re a better squad with Holt in it, and you couldn''t replace him for 3 Million.

So, where i sit on this fence, i don''t really know as i have massive respect for McNally.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]How many supporters would like to turn back the clock and see the Club sell Grant Holt to West Ham for, what was it? 6 million? In my opinion 3 million would have been a good deal. McNally was right, in retrospect. He clearly told Holt how it was with his contract length and rather than wait his turn to have his contract dealt with, Holt spat out his dummy and disrupted our pre-season plans on top of losing Lambert. I don''t blame Grant Holt, he could point to being a major reason for his club''s success and he put his family first and has secured their future after a career of generally low earnings. On the flip side, where would he have been without Norwich City because I personally feel the majority of footballers give 100%, most have a skill set and level and the rest is mental application. The big variable is being in the right place at the right time ie with a team set-up that suits and a manager who believes in you. Take David Fox as an example of that. So, accepting both player and club did well collectively and individually McNally took his usual approach, all hard skills and few soft skills and told Holt how it was. Holt kept referring to his difficulty with someone at the club and it is pretty obvious who he meant. There is clearly no way olt can go the full length of his contract and that also means finding another club who would match it although Celtic may be an exception and it would not surprise me to see Holt headed there next season.

Hughton came in and played the new broom role to Holt''s advantage which means to McNally''s chagrin.

But for me this season proves McNally was right and should have been backed. Grant Holt fails to keep himself in shape, preferring to do his training in games as evidence by his physical improvement when he plays several games in succession and how slowly he starts the seasons. The lack of goals is interesting. Grant works all over the pitch whereas Becchio played like a centre forward. Snodgrass has put in more crosses than any other EPL player and yet Grant Holt seldom gets on the end of things. Has Norwich City paid a price for undermining its CEO and if you could turn the clock back would you have called Grant Holt''s bluff and similarly would you be lining him up to leave at the end of the season?

When you give your answer consider whether you are applying McNally head or Delia heart.

[/quote]

It is McNally''s job to sort out the finances. It is Hughton''s to make the footballing decisions based on what finance is available. I don''t see that McNally has at all been undermined by Hughton - if this is actually what happened - saying he wanted Holt to stay. There is indeed an argument IF we had got several million for Holt AND spent it wisely then we MIGHT have been better off than we are. But that is a footballing judgment, and that is not McNally''s job, just as it wasn''t Doncaster''s. If anything, IF Hughton did make a mistake, then that has strengthened rather than weakened McNally.

As to the last line, how did Delia suddenly get involved? You are claiming - possibly correctly - that McNally and Hughton disagreed. Are you saying Delia overruled McNally?

The point of the last line is that before McNally we were a club run too much by sentiment, hence managers became personal friends for example and over-stayed.

The best thing Delia and the Board have ever done is appoint a businesslike CEO.

This has been done to death and has no relevance leading into the run in.

Just another dig at McNally because he charged you extra for a padded seat or something.

The guy is a hero, Holt is a legend. Thats all there is.

No manager that keeps us up should be sacked - Hughton is doing what he was bought here to do, guarantee us prem football next year, and as it stands he''s doing that.

So bugger off Wiz, unless you''re going to add some constructive criticism to your posts.

Your posts are really no better than ''little boy verbals'' from a bitter old man.

[quote user="Reasonable Canary"]

Just another dig at McNally because he charged you extra for a padded seat or something.

[/quote]

Is that his excuse for not having bothered to get fit all season?

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Reasonable Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry Purple Wiz how many games have you seen this season and do you have ANY evidence to suggest that Holt is not fully fit? Thought not

Holt is fully fit. If you reckon he''s fat, go and say it to his face.

Wiz, they won''t be sacked anytime soon and they won''t be sacked if we go down.

Relegation and the loss of income plus (a) compensation to three members of the coaching team and maybe more and (b) compensation for whoever we/you choose to replace them with. Nice. They''re here for at least another year, whatever happens. Minimum.

Isn''t going to happen. Accept it. And what happened to the "In Hughton We Trust" logo you used to have on your posts? And, out of interest-who would you have instead?

This is the type of thread that will typically encourage answers from both sides of the Holt and/or McNally fan base, not to mention the now very boring personal insults when you do get the extreme views coming out...and why shouldnt they? I dont agree, but also have no issue at all with others having the opposite view to me, its a message board for 4uck sake! 

So, in answer to the question asked "How many supporters would like to turn back the clock and see the Club sell Grant Holt to West Ham for, what was it? 6 million?"

I certainly wouldnt, no way....for me the deal done to keep Holt was an excellent bit of business, 3 million would have been a disgrace, 6 million also not enough in terms of value to our club.

I am not going to go into a rambling explanation why I think that, I just do based on what I have seen in terms of his overall contribution as a lone front man, captain and leader this season, he has once again been terrific!  I also, get a sneaky suspicion Holt we notch a few more before the end of the season bringing his tally in or around double figures, some would hate that, all very strange OTBC

[quote user="Reasonable Canary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Reasonable Canary"]

Saw him training, and then very close up at Colney today. The man is fit!

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry Purple Wiz how many games have you seen this season and do you have ANY evidence to suggest that Holt is not fully fit? Thought not

Holt is fully fit. If you reckon he''s fat, go and say it to his face.

[/quote]

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="Reasonable Canary"][quote user="Wiz"]

Hughton, Calderwood and Trollope........there''s problem, and solution.............sack them![:@]

[/quote]

Moron. Brain Dead.

[/quote]

As I thought, no answer just little boy verbals.

[/quote]

Wiz - I am probably as old (or even older than you) and if you didn''t change your opinions like the wind direction changes you may command some level of respect.  Until then, leave the negativity in the bin where it belongs!

Reasonable Canary, I''m inclined to dislike you far more than I dislike Wiz.

He is a very old stone deaf man in a wheelchair. He is bound to have lost the plot a little.

You on the other hand are a seemingly young man who calls himself ''reasonable canary'' whilst attempting to provoke an argument with every post that you make.

You wouldn''t be a big man if you went up to an old man in a wheelchair and said "you haven''t got the stomach for a fight", that would make you a scumbag, so why is it any different on a forum?

Maybe, just maybe, if you had gone up to a 35 year old Wiz and asked him if he had "the stomach for a fight" he would have knocked the living crap out of you.

And maybe, just maybe, if you went up to him in person in a bar asking him whether he has "the stomach for a fight", some real grown men would overhear your proposition and offer to carry out this fight on Wiz''s behalf.

[quote user="singupcarrowroad"]Reasonable Canary, I''m inclined to dislike you far more than I dislike Wiz.

He is a very old stone deaf man in a wheelchair. He is bound to have lost the plot a little.

You on the other hand are a seemingly young man who calls himself ''reasonable canary'' whilst attempting to provoke an argument with every post that you make.

You wouldn''t be a big man if you went up to an old man in a wheelchair and said "you haven''t got the stomach for a fight", that would make you a scumbag, so why is it any different on a forum?

Maybe, just maybe, if you had gone up to a 35 year old Wiz and asked him if he had "the stomach for a fight" he would have knocked the living crap out of you.

And maybe, just maybe, if you went up to him in person in a bar asking him whether he has "the stomach for a fight", some real grown men would overhear your proposition and offer to carry out this fight on Wiz''s behalf.[/quote]

YAWN

Accusing me of being an internet tough guy by BEING an internet tough guy. Hilarious.

"Reasonable" canary will take pause from his constant crockery of sh*t sometime soon and realise his complete lack of humanity and company. It''ll he rather too late by then though, I''m sure.

Oh and as for the subject matter.... Holt is working hard in different aspects of the game, sure he could try harder to actually score... but I don''t think there is any sort of bad feelings between Mcnally and Holt. If anything, I believe the Lambert/Holt christmas party bust up theory.

It was McNally who rejected his transfer requests out of hand and made it clear that the club would do everything in their power to keep him.

The contract saga was likely as simple as the club having a feeling that Lambert might be walking and not wanting to commit to a long deal without the input of the incoming manager, whoever that manager might have been.

I suspect the whole Lambert saga was not anywhere near as clear cut as discussed. Besides, the club were 100% right in wanting to sit down and talk with those out of contract before talking to those with time left on their deals.

Holt came out of the saga looking a lot worse than McNally, because fans objected to the disrespect that he showed to other players, particularly Adam Drury.

But McNally wanted Holt to stay, I never thought that was in doubt.

Your absolutely right. I''ll withdraw and allow the moaning old men draging this club down to talk smack about our greatest striker of the modern age, greatest CEO ever and the man that will bring top flight stability to the club.

Enjoy folks.

Your ability to read things which haven''t even been written amazes me. Three times in three days you have demonstrated this amazing sixth sense, it is a shame that you couldn''t find a way to use it to your advantage.

[quote user="Reasonable Canary"]

Your absolutely right. I''ll withdraw and allow the moaning old men draging this club down to talk smack about our greatest striker of the modern age, greatest CEO ever and the man that will bring top flight stability to the club.

Enjoy folks.

[/quote]*You''re

In fact, I''m pretty certain that there are several other people on here who know and have met Wiz, or know him by name. At least there used to be five or six years ago. Can you not recall a member visiting a popular city center pub and being told by the landlord that he had passed away? Wiz is certainly a very strange character and a personality disorder of some sort is probably a given. I just sympathize with his apparent mental health problems, surely you of all people will have noticed his behaviour becoming much stranger over the years? What with you having been here since 2006?

I wouldn''t go shouting about this opinion too loudly. I got shot down for the same opinion a while back.

Apparently if you are able to look at a situation with the larger footballing perspective & context and point out things like :

1) Grant Holt stock will never be higher cash in now, he will never have a better season than the one he just had

.... apparently your are not a fan.

Either way we can only speculate we had been better off selling or not. Either way we need to improve are strikers performances.

Unless I have completely the wrong person. I know which user I am talking about, perhaps Wiz will be able to come along and confirm his previous usernames and I will tell you whether or not I can confirm his existence or not.

[quote user="Crispy"]I wouldn''t go shouting about this opinion too loudly. I got shot down for the same opinion a while back. Apparently if you are able to look at a situation with the larger footballing perspective & context and point out things like : 1) Grant Holt stock will never be higher cash in now, he will never have a better season than the one he just had .... apparently your are not a fan. Either way we can only speculate we had been better off selling or not. Either way we need to improve are strikers performances.[/quote]

Crispy I''m intrigued as to why people post on here when they have such a low opinion of the board and it''s posters. Have you ever been told you''re not a fan because of an opinion you held?

Sorry, sorry, sorry....

I''m thinking of completely the wrong user.

Remember Arthur Whittle? I thought he was wiz.

Whatever happened to Arthur Whittle?

In that case, this Wiz person is some anonymous troll imposter and should be hung from the gallows immediately.

[quote user="singupcarrowroad"]Unless I have completely the wrong person. I know which user I am talking about, perhaps Wiz will be able to come along and confirm his previous usernames and I will tell you whether or not I can confirm his existence or not.[/quote]

I think you''re singing up the wrong street buddy and referring to a completely different poster.