Sign in to follow this  
Butterbean_Canary

Need help to settle an argument

A little OT but I remember a post regarding who the real fans were and who were armchair fans,

Two of my friends both support Liverpool. They don''t see each other too often but when they do they always end up arguing about who has more claim to be a ''proper'' fan,

One mate lived in Liverpool until he was 7. All his family are Liverpool fans and most of them still live in Liverpool. He gets to about 1 maybe 2 games a season. He believes he deserves more credit because that is where he is from and basically supports his ''local'' team.

My other mate is a season ticket holder (has been for at least 5 seasons) and also gets to many away games, including europe games, but he lives in Oxford and has never lived in or around Liverpool. This mate believes he is more of a supporter because he goes to every home game and quite a few away games as well,

Please help me settle this one for them because it does my head when I know there will be a night when they will both be together...

I don''t like the armchair Vs season ticket holder argument.

I''ll explain why.

If you are an armchair supporter but get to as many games as you can in a season, whether that be 1,2 or 10, I think you also have to take into consideration many factors.

Footy is not cheap, I have a friend at work who supports Liverpool although he admits not massively, he goes every now and then and takes his son. Match tickets and a reasonable overnight stay somewhere costs him a fair bit plus travel on top. People have circumstances that are more important than footy, like working shifts, feeding their families and many other things. There is a swaying factor in this too.

Sky TV.

Season ticket holders may be the more vocal in supporting in terms of turning up and getting behind their team but consider those that are less able to and instead plump for forking out for sky sports to watch Norwich when they are televised. Ahh, it''s not the same I hear some say. Well consider that the Sky money that the club receives is arguably more than our gates produce and I think it is fair to say that at least in terms of investment they help the club.

I think it is a poor show to argue with fellow fans who is the greater supporter, I am sure that we would all go all of the time if we could, some are able to, others aren''t. But then it is the job of those that do go to sing up for those absent.

I think those who support the club, from season ticket holders to google followers are supporters. I think those who stop supporting as soon as they''re disappointed by results, who make up stuff to discredit parts or all of the club or come from Lowestoft are not. Maybe fairweather fans at best[:O]

I''d say they are both a bit weak.  The one who grew up in Liverpool but only gets to 1-2 games a season isn''t that big a fan.  But the season ticket holder from Oxford who has no connection with Liverpool has obviously picked a "big" team to follow, and presumably it could equally well have been any other team up the top end of the Prem.

For my sins, I am actually an Oxford Supporter first and foremost and a Norwich City season ticket holder for more than 25 years now.

I was born 1/4 mile from Headington, Old Marston and watched both Oxford and Norwich since 1977.

My family moved to Norfolk in early 1970''s so I chose to go to watch Norwich when ever I could, but I also for many years during school travelled to Oxford to watch them both home and away from late 70''s until starting work forced me to stop my travels and focus me more on watching Norwich.

I have had the pleasure of wearing my Oxford shirt in the Barclay a couple times with some very odd looks from people who now I''m a season ticket holder (Not had that chance for a good few years, since the decline of the "U''s"), but I can claim that I am a true City fan, appart from when the Oxford come to visit.

Does that make me a real plastic City fan? In reality you should be true to your roots but also be diverse enough to support the local team which is close to you. So both the fans you are talking about are fans, there is no black and white rule to say who is the better fan.......as we have had this type of thread on more than one occasion.

But I agree that only a true Liverpool fans would get a perm and grow a legendary Liverpool moustache.

I''ve never believed in supporting a distant team. Ofc. I have friends who support Liverpool, Man utd, Arsenal etc. but they''ve never even been to them cities let alone seen a game. They because supporters thanks to SKY TV [:(]I''ve always believed in supporting your closest team to where you were born and choosing to support them.I have alot more respect for the City and even the Town fans I know for supporting their local team and going to games atleast once a season as to classing your Sky Card as your Man Utd / liverpool / Arsenal season ticket.

Anyone who thinks it matters wether you are from the area, go to more games, spend more money etc is just silly. Supporting a club is a personal thing, I could just decide I don''t really like supporting Norwich anymore, and choose another club that i''ve never seen live but still get very passionate about them. Thats not going to happen, but it could.

Liverpool obviously value the guy from Oxford higher as he spends more money on the club. While some fans would respect the guy from Liverpool more for supporting his local (and family) team. But essentially he had little choice, if you''re from a household of Liverpool fans, you aren''t going to support Everton, or anyone else. But he still supports Liverpool, if he feels Liverpool are important to him, then great. If he''s arguing because he feels inferior because this other guy goes to Liverpool games but isn''t from Liverpool thats just a bit petty. They are both Liverpool fans, they should both just be happy with that and accept it. Arguing over it is just pathetic really.

Boy have you come to the wrong site to settle an argument - now if you wanted to start one!

Lived in Stoke all my life ( so far !! ) Became a Norwich fan / supporter / follower in 1973 when my older brother said Spurs would win the league cup, so i went for Norwich. Been to CR twice so far this season and 2 away games. Has with Liverpool  away I will not be able to attend the ManUTD away game due to being ashift worker and will be on Sat noons shit(2 PMTILL 10 PM) Trust me there is nothing worse than being at work when Norwich are just a hour up the M6....I get 1 full weekend off every 5 weeks so hopefully i can get to a Norwich game then I count myself as a fan I LOVE NORWICH CITY FOOTBALL CLUB.....ps went to Posh in the cup aswell 

I understand the season ticket holders arguement, I myself have been born and bred in Cheltenham, however due to my fathers roots support Norwich, instead of a ''Bigger Team'' like the majority down here. I have been a regular attendee of away games due my location and the fact im only 19. Working nights now makes a home game impossible unless I book holiday for it. However I still have attended every away game this season after finishing a night shift at 7am and going straight to the game and 90% of them last year(only missing out due to ballots). Now does not being local and not going to home games make me any less of a fan to my beloved Norwich City than say my uncle whos had a season ticket for 10+ years ?

I kinda split people into categories of Fans, Followers and Supporters -but I''m not too sure of the qualifications for each category!   I come from a place where you''re not allowed to be impartial, you HAVE to be one or the other, you HAVE to be either red or blue.   When people meet one of the first questions asked is "Are you red or blue?".   Whether a person goes to matches or not isn''t as important as how much about the club and team a person knows and their level of passion.