Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Is Wes over rated?

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]It''s also interesting that posters who have complained about our boring and negative style of play believe the remedy is to drop Wes Hoolahan.Wiz, let''s have some answers from you.  Who would you play instead of him and what formation would you send out?[/quote]

Honest question deserves an honest answer from me Mr C.

I''d start with Howsen in Wes''s place, drop him to the bench and use him as a sub in the last 25 minutes if things aren''t working.

Also Tetty would go in favour of Fox, who imo, is the best crosser we''ve got, Tierny would replace Garrido as he supports wide players better, again imo.

And I''d play without fear and go 2 up front and sod the risks!

Well, you did ask. [:$]

[/quote]Well - I seriously cannot believe anyone would pick Howson over Hoolahan at the moment, Howson looks out of form and Hoolahan''s playing some great football.And not sure how Fox would be able to cross the ball given he would play centre-mid.And Tierney is rubbish and half the player Garrido is.But I admire your alternative viewpoint.

I find it rather telling that Hughton who played the majority of his career at left back seems to have no faith in Tierney performing at this level. We can all disagree on our opinion of Hughton, but the one thing you would expect him to effectively do is judge a player who plays in the same position he did at top level for 13 plus years.

Wes has a combined goal/assist record so far this season of 4. If you work purely off those stats go and look at the names of some other overrated players who have achieved the same so far. Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Dembélé, Oscar, Nasri to name a few. All playing in teams who have scored far more than us this year.

Taking assists as the only stat doesn''t always reflect the individuals contribution to the move.

Or if you are going to look purely at assists lets look at last year when Wes got 7 assists. That put him on a par with such overrated players as Van der Vaart, Pienaar, Young. Ahead of Cabaye, Adam and Toure. And one behind Giggs, Aguero and Walcott.

[quote user="Monty13"]I find it rather telling that Hughton who played the majority of his career at left back seems to have no faith in Tierney performing at this level. We can all disagree on our opinion of Hughton, but the one thing you would expect him to effectively do is judge a player who plays in the same position he did at top level for 13 plus years.[/quote]

I wholeheartedly agree and my personal opinion is that Tierney is vastly inferior to Garrido. However by the same rationale, Gunn signed Theoklitos, so it doesn''t always work..

[quote user="Warren Hill"][quote user="Monty13"]I find it rather telling that Hughton who played the majority of his career at left back seems to have no faith in Tierney performing at this level. We can all disagree on our opinion of Hughton, but the one thing you would expect him to effectively do is judge a player who plays in the same position he did at top level for 13 plus years.[/quote] I wholeheartedly agree and my personal opinion is that Tierney is vastly inferior to Garrido. However by the same rationale, Gunn signed Theoklitos, so it doesn''t always work..[/quote]

I would further add that Tierny was excellent in the Premier last season...under Lambert, so I suggest that maybe the manager is the problem rather than the player![^o)]

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="Warren Hill"][quote user="Monty13"]I find it rather telling that Hughton who played the majority of his career at left back seems to have no faith in Tierney performing at this level. We can all disagree on our opinion of Hughton, but the one thing you would expect him to effectively do is judge a player who plays in the same position he did at top level for 13 plus years.[/quote] I wholeheartedly agree and my personal opinion is that Tierney is vastly inferior to Garrido. However by the same rationale, Gunn signed Theoklitos, so it doesn''t always work..[/quote]

I would further add that Tierny was excellent in the Premier last season...under Lambert, so I suggest that maybe the manager is the problem rather than the player![^o)]

[/quote]Tell you what then, debate your point.Use actual facts to back your points up.

[quote user="Crispy"]" Wes is underrated if anything. You put Wes in a Man City or United team and he would get the recognition his talent deserves. "

No way. I love Wes but that''s no where near the truth.

People get bought for big clubs based on performance, stats & consistency. No way Wes has played well enough to get there attention. A midfielder / 2nd striker needs to get more that couple of goals and assists to deserve a shot in a top 6 team.[/quote]

Thats the point tho, he''ll never get those stats and look the top player i believe he is playing for City with what he has around him. You plonk him straight in a Man City or Arsenal team and in my opinion he would instantly shine.

We hold him back with our negative tactics and level of player around him.

[quote user="Wiz"]

I would further add that Tierny was excellent in the Premier last season[/quote]

Myth.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Wiz"]

I would further add that Tierny was excellent in the Premier last season[/quote]

Myth.

[/quote]

I don''t think so....I''m gutted for him under this management.

Whatever system we were playing today, Wes totally didn''t fit into it.Not one of his better games.

So what do we do with Wes now? Kei and Grant look like a lethal front pairing, and Pilks and Snodgrass can supply the service.

Doesn''t seem to be a team vacancy for our most ''creative'' player.

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]So what do we do with Wes now? Kei and Grant look like a lethal front pairing, and Pilks and Snodgrass can supply the service.

Doesn''t seem to be a team vacancy for our most ''creative'' player.[/quote]I''m pretty sure away from home we''ll revert to the single striker, so there is still a place for Wes.

If an away game looks winnable I hope we bring on Kei as a sub just as we did today. Up until now I don''t think we had the personnel to go two up front. Maybe now we can, and we''ll see a more adventurous side to Hughton.