Sign in to follow this  
technika

match thread

Can''t believe we''ve won. Kudos to Hughton for bringing on a sub with time to do something. Kamara made a huge difference.

McNally please start working on the deal to bring him here permanently on Monday. I think we''ve all seen enough!

So what this game teached for us. If we play against quality side there is no reason for two towers.

4-4-2 isnt working that well as some thought. We need a player drop in that slot who has feet to run to the box after freeing pass. Do we use Hoolahan for it like after changing Kamara or do we use only one defensive middlefielder like after Hoolahan was gone, doesnt matter, but pure 4-4-2 was awful to watch.

Kei Kamara! What a signing, he is fast, he can jump and he knows what to do with ball. He worked all over the pitch. Big thumbs up for this cheery fellow.

Not best first half for Snodgrass and Johnson who have been in solid form most of games. Johnson looked back to last year when he played holding role alone.

Also Hoolahan and Howson were both played out of their slots and that showed in games of both. After Hoolahan got the free role he brought back some quality for our building up play. Howsons game and passing improved lot after we didnt need to defend that much, but still I didnt see the Howson we had last season.

[quote user="Monty13"]McNally please start working on the deal to bring him here permanently on Monday. I think we''ve all seen enough![/quote]
We already agreed a fee with the MLS and Sporting KC when we signed the loan deal. Thank god.

Its a really brilliant result that should stem the tide!!I can''t believe how bad we were until Kei came on - and later Pilks - but i the last 10 minutes, we bossed it!!!On the Ball, City!!!!

Wow, that way of winning took me back to our championship promotion season.
KK looks like one hell of a buy, we saw it for 5 mins last game but we saw it consistently for 35 minutes today. Best striker performance from a Norwich player all season. Looks like a similar type of player to Lukaku.
Would like to see us continue with the 4 4 2 at home, however i expect Wes will need to be sacrificed, the balance on the left is not there when he plays there, Garrido left isolated every time.
Great game for Garrido i though, one of his best performances in a while

[quote user="Lavanche"]So what this game teached for us. If we play against quality side there is no reason for two towers.

4-4-2 isnt working that well as some thought. We need a player drop in that slot who has feet to run to the box after freeing pass. Do we use Hoolahan for it like after changing Kamara or do we use only one defensive middlefielder like after Hoolahan was gone, doesnt matter, but pure 4-4-2 was awful to watch. .[/quote]442 worked perfectly fine when there were two natural wingers on the pitch (pilkington and snodgrass).  Two bulldozers up front in kamara and holt and two wingers putting crosses in, its old fashioned but it still worksthe only conclusion to draw is that hoolahan cant play in 442 (the same reason he didnt get called up for internationals until recently) and should only be on the bench, tettey/johnson/pilkington/snodgrass in midfield and the two up front will do nicely

[quote user="technika"][quote user="Lavanche"]So what this game teached for us. If we play against quality side there is no reason for two towers.

4-4-2 isnt working that well as some thought. We need a player drop in that slot who has feet to run to the box after freeing pass. Do we use Hoolahan for it like after changing Kamara or do we use only one defensive middlefielder like after Hoolahan was gone, doesnt matter, but pure 4-4-2 was awful to watch. .[/quote]442 worked perfectly fine when there were two natural wingers on the pitch (pilkington and snodgrass).  Two bulldozers up front in kamara and holt and two wingers putting crosses in, its old fashioned but it still worksthe only conclusion to draw is that hoolahan cant play in 442 (the same reason he didnt get called up for internationals until recently) and should only be on the bench, tettey/johnson/pilkington/snodgrass in midfield and the two up front will do nicely

[/quote]Or we play a diamond midfield with Wes at the forward point and Johnson or Tettey at the back.

@chops - whats the point?? theres no width in the diamond and we have two big men as strikers, play to their strengths. Johnson and tettey to break up play and pilkington and snodgrass as the play makers, city played 442 for years and its always worked best with two pacey wingers and at least one big man up front hoolahan is a luxury player and not capable of playing anywhere effectively apart from in the hole, which means the whole team has to change to suit him, hes a good player but its too easy to shut out because its obvious everything is going to go through him

we actually looked like a goal scoring team again when pilks and kamara came on, 442 lots of width and smack balls into the box. back to basics and what english clubs/players are traditionally used to (pretty sure the bulk of the squad is english)

Yesss finally a win

Most importantly looked comfortable with the 4-4-2 especially with kamara on.

Plus a win without tettey!!!!!! Keep this guy out of the side! We will get wins

technica we didnt play anywhere near 4-4-2 at the end ^^

After Bechio was subbed we first turned for some kind of 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 where Kamara and Hoolahan played both in the pocket and after Pilkington was subbed Howson moved in Hoolahan''s role and Kamara started to get even more forward to 4 - 1 - 3 - 2. We had whole time after Kamara sub the offensive middlefielder that didnt leave the pocket while we had a ball and that was the real reason why game turned.

Doesnt matter if Hoolahan is luxyry player, but we need one man making the play. Is it Hoolahan, Howson, Bennet, Butterfield, Fox, C.Martin or even forward moved Barnett I really dont care, but our game isnt working when we have 2 middlefielders that dont go forward positions and we make play only trough wings.

Not to mention Pilkington isnt that good in playmaking and we all saw that again Hoolahan isnt a winger and needs player close to him that he can use his short pass and space making dribbles.

Actual 4 - 4 -2 didnt work at any point and I cant remember this season when it would have worked. We even lost against Luton by using it.

Either we sacrifice some defence for playing diamond as Chops suggests, which I could vouch on, or we play with 4 - 2- 3- 1 which can be easily variated to defensive or offensive play.

As you mentioned most of english clubs used 4 - 4 - 2, but that is history now ^^ everyone knows how to beat purest form of 442 and even with good box to box players which we really dont have. Mayby Howson and Tettey could be given a chance, but I''m still quite doubtful it would make any difference.

Well now we have strong striker with some pace so he would have some chances to make goals from long trough balls, but Holt and Becchio are just too slow to score from those and approximately if we get from 2 to 4 good crosses per game we would start to look like a Stoke without good defence and long throws ^^

Hopefuly I''m right and we either play with two players on free role (Hoolahan/Kamara/Pilkington) or diamond in future and harder games with 1 striker.

Hughton clearly wants to play on the ground much as possible from our half to last third, so without pocket man that comes quite much impossible for our players.

It may not work every week but that was brilliant.

KK and GH came up trumps.I don''t understand the Snodgrass critisism as I thought that he had a good game particularly after Pilks lightened the load. For me the MOTM was Bassong - class.

Amazing what a bit of a break can do for a team. The trip to Dubai was worth every penny.

We played for the whole 94 mins yesterday, when in recent games they''ve been dead on their feet after 70 mins.

They all looked fresh and confident.