Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Can we finish higher than 9th ?

Currently we are in a group of seven clubs from Southampton/Newcastle (27 points) to 10th placed Stoke (33 points) 

That leaves us 5 points behind Swansea and 7 points behind Liverpool, which would look to be the limit of our progress up the table - unless we were to go on another 22 points out of 10 games run, as in the autumn.

Even then at 54 points, on past tables, we may only achieve 7th or 8th place

Still, it would be another £3m or £4m in prize money from where we are now

Good to see that people have started to look up the table rather than down it, amazing what a win can do for confidence (of fans as well as players).

We shouldn''t get ahead of ourselves though, Old Trafford away next, I''ll start thinking about how high we can get should we have another 3 points at 4.45pm on 9th March (the end of the Southampton game), barring a mammoth upset at Old Trafford.

In other words, it is just one win.

I was looking at our remaining fixtures at home earlier (mainly as I''ll miss quite a few of them) and frankly they are all winnable.We''re unbeaten in 4, we have a confidence boosting win under our belts, so who knows?

I''m pretty certain that we could mathematically get into the Champions League Rudolph Hucker, why not get a grown up to explain to you the difference between probably eventuality and possible eventuality.

I''ll play the game if you want. I think we will get 14 more points (taking us to 46) and finished somewhere around 11th to 13th.

errr, I''ve always looked up and have never looked down (other than on a few of the lesser posters on here) and have like many others retained confidence in our ability to finish mid table, the question has been where - try checking previous posts

It is not about ''getting ahead of ourselves'' any more than those who have been projecting our imminent demise based on how well other clubs will do and how badly we are certain to do

And, if you read the post, it is more about how the league is ''clustered'' where a massive run would barely move us up a place of two where as with previous seasons clubs can be in a block that means a few points dropped or gained can mean a seven or so place difference in the finishing position

ps it matters little when you are thinking about how high we can get, now or in two weeks - it is all about a simple equation of games over points .......... nothing more

most do it from the day the fixtures are announced

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Why not get a grown up to explain to you the difference between..........being in something which is a definite and could, which is a possibility (sic)[/quote]

You don''t appear too bright .... could you be from suffolk, or something ?

To answer the original post directly, I think our run in looks a lot easier on paper than it will be in practice.

We are basically playing five of the current bottom seven, all of whom will be fighting for their lives from now on forward.

I can''t see us finishing on any more than 46 to 48 points. Beating our points total last year (47) would leave me very happy, as it will answer Hughton''s detractors and stand us in good stead for next season.

I''ve got particularly bad feelings about Villa at home and Stoke away, but at the same time I fancy us taking all three points at home to Swansea (we just seem to know how to beat them, and Holt loves scoring against them).

Individual games are very hard to predict - too many variables.

Take next week.

How much will the newly bouyed up spirit play out on the pitch. How many players will Ferguson rest prior to a big European game ? What effect will Man City''s game have, if the lose, which will take the pressure off them ?

What injuries might we be carrying ?

Even down to ref''s decisions

Who knows ?

Exactly, who knows!

But I''d personally be very happy with 16 more points this season. It would be a better end to the season than we had last season, would leave us on more points for the season (even if just the 1), and will likely mean a few more wins to enjoy at Carrow Road this season.

I''d take that.

I don''t think so, but anything above the relegation zone will make me very, very happy. Lets starve off relegation this season, and concentrate on a top half finish next year

Two wins and one draw will be enough to stay up this season. That would leave 8 other games.

I wouldn''t be happy with eight defeats, think we should be forgetting about relegation now personally. A win against Southampton and we will be cruising.

City1st wrote

RUDOLPH HUCKER Why not get a grown up to explain to you the difference between..........being in something which is a definite and could, which is a possibility (sic)

You don''t appear too bright .... could you be from suffolk, or something

Don''t you recognise your own post? That''s how daft and non-sensical it looked first time.

What''s this about inferior posters? Are you implying you are superior? Do you have a season ticket and deride so called ''plastic fans?'' Who do you think you are?

In my experience people who use phrases such as ''grown ups'' usually are not themselves.

You clearly have limitations but as a poster and supporter you are on equal term to everyone else. Sorry if that disappoints you.

you have to be either mad or on some triple bluff wind up

I have neither the time nor interest to try and work out which one it is

No,not higher than 9th. The top 9 reasonably consistent,picking up enough points to keep them in the chase for Europe. 10th is a good place to aim for at this late stage of the season.

No simple as that. Trouble is the ove reaction when we lose or win. Lose and people worry about relegation and must win games, win a game and the talk is about top 10. I think we will finish comfortably above the relegation zone but in the 12 to 14th place zone fighting it out with Sunderland,West ham. Fulham for that little mini league

All about the 2 banks of 4 for me

Man U (a)

Southampton (h)

Sunderland (a)

Wigan (a)

Swansea (h)

Arsenal (a)

Reading (h)

Stoke (a)

Villa (h)

West Brom (h)

Man City (a)

Get good points from those games and we may finish around 10th-12th. I''d be very happy with the same position as last season. Ideally we''d get those 40pts asap and push hard towards the end

looking at that run in, if we play as we did yesterday i can see a minimum of 14 points, and probably 16 likely. but exceed ourselves and another 20 to our total is possible. but all this depends on injuries and ref decisions, and maintaining our playing standard.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]No simple as that. Trouble is the ove reaction when we lose or win. Lose and people worry about relegation and must win games, win a game and the talk is about top 10. I think we will finish comfortably above the relegation zone but in the 12 to 14th place zone fighting it out with Sunderland,West ham. Fulham for that little mini league[/quote]

err no

I''ve always maintained that we would finish at least mid table

The point I was making was how the league ''lines up'', there is a limit to where we can finish ie as of this season it is probably 9th

Do keep up, lad

Probably won''t finish in the top half although its possible!

I''ll still take 17th though I think we can comfortably finish higher than that!

so you would be happy with a collapse that would see us probaly pick up no more than 3 or 4 points out of the next 11 games ?

that would be a run of games that would give us around a dozen points all season and would suggest there really is something very, very wrong with the team, the squad and the club

ps 9th place would give us an £6.4m and given the bonuses I doubt the players or even the CEO will join you in wringing their cloth caps and being ''ever so ''umble

My prediction for this season was 14th. I''d be very pleased if City can better that and finish mid-table (anywhere from 8th to 13th), but more than 10th would now be difficult, IMO.