Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Everton

I woke up with the strangest feeling this morning and when I looked out of the window and saw that fine coating of snow. It was as if my late lamented little old friend was sending me a message to watch closely today. Even so, it took quite a lot to motivate me in the long stroll up to an Arctic like CR.The rumours proved true as both Holt and Becchio started and Johnny Howson came in for Alex Tetty. Both teams started with a positive intent and there was more action in the first ten minutes today than in the entire Fulham game. Snoddy almost squeezed through on 5 minutes but Howard did well to deflect his shot over the bar. Straight back up the other end Bunn was called into action to punch away a dangerous cross and seconds later made a key save with his legs from Jelavic. Snoddy and Howson were showing up well for City while Fellaini  caught the eye for Everton. I felt it was very even and the fact that Everton had come to play was making it a good game to watch. With half time approaching fast it was looking like stalemate then City were undone by a quality cross from Baines. It bisected Bassong and Turner and there was Osman to plant a firm header past Bunn from about 8 yards.It was a bit of a downer but during the break I remarked to my son that we had only scored one goal in the River End all season and things that can''t go on forever eventually have to change. City tried to up it from the off but Everton are a good side and it became harder and harder for the Canaries to get any traction. Before the hour mark Chris Hughton brought on Kamara for Becchio and suddenly City looked a different prospect. A half bicycle kick was well saved by Howard then Wes chipped delicately into the box and there was Kamara again to nod narrowly wide. Everton however still looked dangerous and how Fellaini pulls those high passes down from his head and chest is a wonder to behold.Pilks came on for a tiring Wes and immediately looked strong down the left. Time was running away quickly and I began to wonder when Snowy would start to work his magic. It was all City, then Pilks won a corner, Snoddy flighted it perfectly and there was Kamara to power a header past Howard. I would have been happy with that but there was more to come. In injury time Everton struggled to clear a right wing corner, Holty almost converted only for an Everton boot to toe it away. In came a left win corner as the crowd turned the wick up. It looked like Everton had survived it but Russell Martin swung the ball to the far post. What happened then I am unable to tell you because everyone went up in front of me and all I could see was Holty wheel away with his arms aloft. It was another case of "The crowd''s gone bananas and Norwich have won the game. Ricardo filled up because he knew that somewhere up in Moggy heaven a big white cat was turning his head and giving a wry smile. Great stuff from the whole team, what a player Snoddy is, what a leader we have in Grant Holt and what a prospect we have in Kei Kamara. It was a fitting memorial to my little friend, I couldn''t have written it better. I fancy his ghost will haunt this board for a long time yet and if you are having a drink tonight please raise a glass to his memory, he''s never been wrong.

That one was definately for Snowy Ricardo, nice one! That was an excellent team performance and its great having someone on the bench we can change the game, something I think we have been missing......appears to be yet another astute signing....and I guarantee Becchio will also start to notch soon.....maybe after next week though.   

Thanks for the three points Snowy - keep on pulling those strings for us in moggy heaven!

Another excellent report Ricardo, and hopefully the three points will ease your pain.

seems wrong to feel emotional about a cat that I dont even know but we have all enjoyed your reports Ricardo and the references to snowy always gave it that personal feel.

Glad to see that the team came up trumps with a fitting result today

all the best

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]

Thanks Ricardo, great report, definitely 3 points for Snowy today. 

I''ll try to do a report after the game next week, the same result for City wouldn''t be a bad outcome.

[/quote]Thanks ICF, I look forward to your "on the road reports".

great result which was all that mattered.

Kei movement and enthusiasm is a joy to watch and the spark missing from our front line.

Cant say it was an inspiring performance or significantly better than the previous weeks fare but it really does not matter.

COYY!!

Great stuff as always Richardo.I thought we were unlucky to be one down at half time but the introduction of Kamara gave us a lift, hard to fit Wes''s creativity into a team with two up front, when will we realise he isn''t a blasted winger. After the Fulham game it was nice to be reminded once more why we turn out.This one is for Snowy and I''ve just raised my glass.

Couldn''t read the last bit. Screen went all blurry.

Christ I''m a daft old sod.

Out all day so I haven''t seen anything yet. Frightened the life out of the missus & me old mum when I heard the result on the car radio. God I''m looking forward to MOTD tonight!

Thanks once again Ricardo. Even though you made me cry.

Great report Ricardo.

I thought about Snowy as I walked away from the ground, he got it right even as he passed through that great cat flap in the sky.........last gasp winner!

[quote user="ricardo"]

Great stuff from the whole team, what a player Snoddy is, what a leader we have in Grant Holt and what a prospect we have in Kei Kamara. It was a fitting memorial to my little friend, I couldn''t have written it better. I fancy his ghost will haunt this board for a long time yet and if you are having a drink tonight please raise a glass to his memory, he''s never been wrong.
[/quote]

Snoddy is phenomenal and is sooo consistent. I''ve made no secret of how highly I rate him. Holt again immense yes great leadership and the winning goal. Kamara will get fitter and better but potentially he could have the same impact on the stadium as Jimmy Bone when he was first here. And I''m beginning to wonder if Bassong is the best centrehalf I''ve seen play for us. Leadership, presence and ability.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="ricardo"]

Great stuff from the whole team, what a player Snoddy is, what a leader we have in Grant Holt and what a prospect we have in Kei Kamara. It was a fitting memorial to my little friend, I couldn''t have written it better. I fancy his ghost will haunt this board for a long time yet and if you are having a drink tonight please raise a glass to his memory, he''s never been wrong.[/quote]

Snoddy is phenomenal and is sooo consistent. I''ve made no secret of how highly I rate him. Holt again immense yes great leadership and the winning goal. Kamara will get fitter and better but potentially he could have the same impact on the stadium as Jimmy Bone when he was first here. And I''m beginning to wonder if Bassong is the best centrehalf I''ve seen play for us. Leadership, presence and ability.

[/quote]I think we agree on a lot of things Nigel. Funny how history repeats itself if you wait long enough. Jimmy Bone certainly got the crowd going and yes Bassong was immense today, he plays with real heart. Time alone will tell but Dave Watson and Andy Linighan have got to be high on anyone''s list

Thanks ricardo. Measured as ever. Some additional thoughts (and apologies if these have been expressed in one or other of the 97 threads on yesterday''s win...).

Moyes is wrong. It wasn''t the extra 20 seconds that cost his team the game. It was lost at 11.20am, when an Everton supporter asked me for directions to "the town centre". If ever a fan jinxed his own team it was then.

I winced at Hughton''s starting eleven. A throwback to some of Lambert''s gung-ho selections. Howson and Hoolahan against five in midfield, with one of the five being Fellaini? My first sight of him. Really quite a player. Two-footed. Instant control. Economy of effort. Perhaps this isn''t totally fair, but absurdly one-footed Johnson, for all his endeavour, looked like a pub player by comparison. If we stay up that (Fellaini) kind of player is one of the must-haves for the summer.

That we were not swamped and stayed in touch was mainly due to Snodgrass. I kept an eye on Baines (another player new to me but I gather he is normally a real attacking threat) and when he crossed for their goal that was the first time he had been able to get forward dangerously, because he was having to defend. And that carried on through the second half.

Kamara coming on for Becchio (who looked like a decent Championship player) was the eye-catching substitution, but bringing on Pilkington for Hoolahan and going to a proper 4-4-2 was when it all fitted into place, and probably should have happened earlier. Whether Hughton will stick with a more attacking starting line-up is a question. I am not so sure. But I do suspect the very late (too late?) substitutions will disappear. With Holt looking trimmer than before, Becchio as a useful target-man, and with Kamara obviously not overawed or out of place in the Premier League Hughton now has strikers plural in whom he has some confidence.

It is not Bunn''s fault that he is short for a modern keeper, but that nearly cost us yesterday, and will do. Luckily Everton wanted their corners taken by one of their ball-boys. The one just before half-time that went straight behind about half way to the near post was my favourite. But other teams will not be so wasteful with their set pieces.

RIP Snowy.