Sign in to follow this  
Not Nigel

Two forwards = Holt Scores Goals

A few people on here, me included, have been saying this for the last two weeks. Today we played two up front, Holt scored a goal.

He''ll score another five between now and the end of the season.

lol, hardly 442 that made the diference!

Its only the second goal he has scored this season while playing with a strike partner - he has started as many games with a partner as without - and three of his goals were in the 4411/4231 formation.

What is more important is regaining fitness from his injury - unfit at the start of the season and since his injury he has not scored - once he gets match ready his scores - this two week break was probably crucial.

Fingers cross he stays fit.

[quote user="singupcarrowroad"]A few people on here, me included, have been saying this for the last two weeks. Today we played two up front, Holt scored a goal. He''ll score another five between now and the end of the season.[/quote]

Its not rocket science is it sing up?[Y]

Wiz you were famous on Canary call today. Did you realise word for word Holt was quoting some of your threads ? He did not seem to be being very kind to you lol

Must be the only club that with 5 defeats in nineteen league games want their manager out O well

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="singupcarrowroad"]A few people on here, me included, have been saying this for the last two weeks. Today we played two up front, Holt scored a goal. He''ll score another five between now and the end of the season.[/quote]

Its not rocket science is it sing up?[Y]

[/quote]No, it''s football tactics.

The Arsenal game was the 8th game of the season, there have been 18 games between that game and our today.

We started 4-5-1 against Chelsea in the game before Arsenal, Holt started on the bench in the game before that (Liverpool).

How can you justify that statement?

"Today we played two up front, Holt scored a goal"

after 93 mins, from a ''lucky'' bounce off his leg

It really isn''t that simple.

We were impotent today until Kamara came on. 4-4-2 didn''t have that much to do with it.

Fine, try two up but that saw Hoolahan put out on the wing which didn''t work.

4-5-1 with Holt or now the option of Kamara as the lone striker is clearly a strong option for us. When we have been able to use it WTIH our strongest line up it has been effective. When we have tried to use it with replacements it hasn''t worked. It would be foolish to ditch it when it is the formation that has got us by far the most points this season.

What we now have though is a real wealth of options which can only set us up well for the last part of the seasons.

Delighted with the win but in all honesty up untill the 86th min we had only forced one save from Howard, despite playing two up front, and we did not look anymore threatening than when we only played one up top. As we walked out of the ground my mate turned to me an said "How the f... did we win that!!".....

We had 10 shots, 7 inside the box, 3 outside the box.

Everton had 15 shots.

We had 5 shots on target, 4 clear cut chances.

Everton had 3 shots on target, 2 clear cut chances.

We converted 50% of our clear cut chances, Everton converted 50% of their clear cut chances.

How much more potent did we need to be?

When was the last time we had 4 clear cut chances in a game?

Holt had three good chances today, scored one. When was the last time we saw Holt get three good chances in a game?

He gets more chances in a two man attack, and as a result he scores more goals in a two man attack.

Absolutely, at last, let''s set out to try and win a match! Yes, we may have lost but, equally, that applies to the defensive system we''ve seen in recent weeks. But, the result - a more entertaining match and a victory. Hurrah!!

4-4-2 had nothing to do it as I said already in match read. Nothing worked until we had player in pocket and 442 is the strategy that has been cried here by many ^^

And we have always played with two strikers at the end when 1 down, so nothing new there.

Kamara and his energy was the key with mentioned that we moved from 4-4-2 to 4-3-2-1 first and then 4-1-3-2 and started to play more trought middlefield instead of trying to use big men for holding the ball.

"And we have always played with two strikers at the end when 1 down, so nothing new there"

But we hardly ever go with two strikers when drawing, it was Holt > Morison straight swaps most of the time.

Holt had three good chances today, when was the last time that Holt had three good chances in one game?

Forget about the last ten minutes, what about the chance he got towards the end of the first half?

Holt gets more chances in a front two, and if you give him more chances he will score more goals.

Well you can all disagree with me, but for almost two weeks I''ve been saying that Holt will score more in a front two.

One game down, one goal for Holt. Eleven games to go, and by the end of that Eleven games I will (and others who have said the same) will be proved right, because between now and the end of the season we will see 4-4-2 more often, and we will see more Holt goals.

First goal in 17 games today, three or four more Holt goals by the end of the season.

Well for me it is quite obviously that anyone will score more in formation

Player - Player

-------Player-----

than

-----Player-------

-----Player-------

Even if we would only play long ball % goes for first formation as there is more people to keep defence busy.

It is different thing how it affects rest of the game as stat wise our first half was one of our poorest for creating chances this season.. I personaly agree that Holt benefits from second striker / shadow striker as long we have player to make those plays.

Holt is great player and he like to do those not so pretty work horse goals and I love him, so nothing to take away from him, but key is that he makes those goals, if our middlefield is playing high enough

It was a great result but had fewer efforts on goal than average for the season and even fewer before kei came on

Two up front made little to no difference. Chasing the game and kei did. Well done to the manager for taking the risk in signing kei and making the early change.

The key thing is 3 points on a weekend when it all the results worked and Ricardo calm reassurance was proved right.

We had 10 shots, 5 on target. How the hell is that fewer efforts than average? Have we been watching the same football team?

premierleague.com:

Against Fulham we had 15 shots and 8 on target

Against QPR 14 and 9 on target

Thought these change which ever site you use for statistics.

And I was talking about first half and time before Kamara was subbed in. Almost all of our shots came after changing format from 4-4-2 to more offensive.

Well the BBC have us as 10 shots, 9 on target.

With almost all of our shots on target, perhaps they were just better quality chances?

I wonder how many of our shots against Fulham and QPR were BJ or Tettey long shots from 35 yards.

Four clear cut chances is the best that we can hope for, two goals is what we would expect from four clear cut chances.

I can only remember one clear cut chance against QPR, that was Hoolahans volley.

Still both of our goals and Kei''s header came after the sub. Dont remember which would have been 4th. If it was that Holt''s half assed try at first half, I wouldnt really count that tumble with the ball as a clear chance ^^

We had almost zero chances before Kei and change of formation. With 4-2-3-1 we at least get on the right areas today with Becchio and Holt we really didnt where game was quite open and Everton had most of their men supporting their attacks where for example Fulham and QPR were in their shield.

Have you given any consideration to the huge disparity in the quality of the opposition?

We played a very off-form Fulham team and the team bottom of the league. Everton came here in 5th place having scored 15 more goals than us this season.

Yes I have and thats why I mentioned Everton played very open and we still had hard time to get forward when we got a chance as we didnt have real playaker or link-up player.

There were lot of chances to make effective counter attack, but they died lack of creativity.

Everton also played with very high line at first half because we didnt have player in the pocket to make it easier to get that ball for our strikers.